• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Guardians of the Galaxy: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - A Great Game But 60FPS Comes At A Cost

PS5 consumes a lot of power consumption of 30W on average when operating the same graphic settings as XBOX SX.
Metro Exodus
PS5 231W
iw28fqg.jpg

XBOX SX 204W
eujffd7.jpg

Tales of Arose(Quality Mode)
PS5 222W
gVwFS4r.jpg

XBOX SX 199W
ssN2pJs.jpg
Can you please do more of these tests? I'd love to do them myself, just don't have either console. But this kinda stuff is really intriguing to me!

Probably about the same, give or take, I'd imagine. Stuff like this is soooooooooo interesting to me. It's like a clamp test on an amplifier for me. (My true hobby is everything audio related, which I absolutely love)

These clamp tests will show how much power is being drawn, and can give conclusive answers on GPU performance. Ex: if both consoles are achieving the same framerates, why is one drawing more power than the other? Better efficiency? Is one pulling more power, but not being efficient, etc?
Same for me. I was big into headphones for a while. Stopped cause I was spending too much money.
I'd love to see the touryst and Hitman 3 and any game with a large resolution discrepancy. Let's say the touryst is only drawing 160w on sx and 230 on ps5, it would show a lot of room on the table for sx. Same but opposite for Hitman 3.

I also have neither console. Do have an amp clamp though.

This might not work like I want it to. I'm not sure if the consoles ever draw much less power like a GPU can.

Last edited:
Same for me. I was big into headphones for a while. Stopped cause I was spending too much money.
I'd love to see the touryst and Hitman 3 and any game with a large resolution discrepancy. Let's say the touryst is only drawing 160w on sx and 230 on ps5, it would show a lot of room on the table for sx. Same but opposite for Hitman 3.

I also have neither console. Do have an amp clamp though.

This might not work like I want it to. I'm not sure if the consoles ever draw much less power like a GPU can.
One has to consider that frequency and power consumption don't scale linearly. So if both consoles are running at full capacity, PS5 should be always pulling more power because of the higher frequency.

One has to consider that frequency and power consumption don't scale linearly. So if both consoles are running at full capacity, PS5 should be always pulling more power because of the higher frequency.
That's more due to the the amount of cu's xsx has over ps5. Ps5 will pull more power on average, as it's a smaller GPU, but clocked a good bit higher. It can feed the cu's more efficiently (depending on how you look at it, as it'll draw more power because of that), but it'll also hit the power ceiling on the PSU much more frequently, which will have an adverse effect.

Personally I like the xsx design more, as it's closer to how PC gaming does things, with wider GPU's over narrow. Probably won't see much differences now, but in years to come, it "should" show a bigger disparity in graphics over ps5.

Exclusives will show off their individual strengths though. Hopefully I don't somehow get banned for this post.

PS5 consumes a lot of power consumption of 30W on average when operating the same graphic settings as XBOX SX.
Metro Exodus
PS5 231W
iw28fqg.jpg

XBOX SX 204W
eujffd7.jpg

PS5 222W
gVwFS4r.jpg

XBOX SX 199W
ssN2pJs.jpg
Nice. But yes we know from decades of PC benchmarks that consumption increases exponentially (and not linearly) with clocks. I have already seen 230W in another PS5 game. Seems to be the ceiling on PS5.

Last edited:

Md Ray

That's more due to the the amount of cu's xsx has over ps5. Ps5 will pull more power on average, as it's a smaller GPU, but clocked a good bit higher. It can feed the cu's more efficiently (depending on how you look at it, as it'll draw more power because of that), but it'll also hit the power ceiling on the PSU much more frequently, which will have an adverse effect.

Personally I like the xsx design more, as it's closer to how PC gaming does things, with wider GPU's over narrow. Probably won't see much differences now, but in years to come, it "should" show a bigger disparity in graphics over ps5.

Exclusives will show off their individual strengths though. Hopefully I don't somehow get banned for this post.
PS5's PSU is capable of 372W max power, and the console draws around 200-230W (55-62% load), that's nowhere near hitting the power ceiling on the PSU. The XSX PSU would also see a nearly identical load (in terms of % numbers) to PS5, but of course, while drawing less power.

PS5's PSU is capable of 372W max power, and the console draws around 200-230W (55-62% load), that's nowhere near hitting the power ceiling on the PSU. The XSX PSU would also see a nearly identical load (in terms of % numbers) to PS5, but of course, while drawing less power.
Ps5 will never draw that much power though. It'll be thermally limited long before it touches that. Also, PSU's aren't really meant to ever give it's maximum power. Platinum rated psu's and sometimes gold can, get up to 90% but definitely not a console. There's this thing called efficiency, which will determine how much it can draw. Gold psu's for instance are about 90% efficient. But neither consoles are using robust PSU's like that.

Ps5 will never draw that much power though. It'll be thermally limited long before it touches that. Also, PSU's aren't really meant to ever give it's maximum power. Platinum rated psu's and sometimes gold can, get up to 90% but definitely not a console. There's this thing called efficiency, which will determine how much it can draw. Gold psu's for instance are about 90% efficient. But neither consoles are using robust PSU's like that.
Any power supply can provide its max watts. The efficiency indicates how much power is wasted for instance in your example 90% efficiency indicates if its drawing 1000W it can produce 900w. The power supply can still produce 1000w though it just needs to draw 1100w to do this.

Md Ray

Ps5 will never draw that much power though. It'll be thermally limited long before it touches that. Also, PSU's aren't really meant to ever give it's maximum power. Platinum rated psu's and sometimes gold can, get up to 90% but definitely not a console.
I know it will not draw that much power, I mentioned its max output power because you said it will hit the power ceiling on the PSU much more frequently.
There's this thing called efficiency, which will determine how much it can draw. Gold psu's for instance are about 90% efficient. But neither consoles are using robust PSU's like that.
Are you sure about that? PS5's PSU is actually 80+ Gold on 230V.

I know it will not draw that much power, I mentioned its max output power because you said it will hit the power ceiling on the PSU much more frequently.

Are you sure about that? PS5's PSU is actually 80+ Gold on 230V.
It's ceiling would be thermally limited obviously. And you can't be seriously trying to compare a console PSU to a PC PSU. Please don't go down that route. I don't wanna embarrass you in front of others again today. Listen to the cooling fan scream with higher voltage and power.

Topher

Gold Member
The fact that you worry and see the need to answer every criticism of your work clearly says that for you it is not just any Thursday but that it affects you a lot .... 😉

It is the difference between you respect DF, Vgtech and even "Elanalista". I don't see one of these going here to every criticism that have had much worse and even ban requests

A word of advice: Credibility is not earned by making "funny" appearances that applaud fans (which is clear why they are and Who you have to please) is earned at work. Learn from mistakes and work hard not to make them again 😉

Why do you keep bringing up "ban requests". There has been no request to ban anyone.

Darsxx82

Listen to yourself for a moment, you are doing all the things you are telling others to not.

FACTS:

1) I never even covered this game
2) You kept bringing me into the conversation to deflect from DF.
3) I only saw this because Topher tagged me as you kept slagging me off (again I have nothing to do with this thread)
4) You keep saying all deserve respect (except me from your actions in this thread, so only the ones YOU deem) of which I agree and have not shown any contempt or negative connotations towards.
5) You did this repeatedly and without any cause or correlation, other than your dislike of me.

Word of advice, if you do not like my work, or anyone else's , simply move on and stop watching it. If you want to comment on work I have done in this thread, bring it up, but the content and context here, has nothing to do with me or anything I have produced, so stop fixating on me it is only showing your clear obsession.

Learn from your actions and try to practise what you so poorly preach, good day kind sir!

It is clear that you need a summary.:

1- My first intervention was to criticize someone who insinuated and "joked" with the convenience of requesting the banning of DF from this forum to the way in which it was done (wrongly and unnecessarily in my opinion with "Elanalista") for, supposedly, having erred when detecting the existence of DRS in GotG. Its said, my response was to censure that attitude and regret the double standard when on other occasions, for example, he/they had supported you and justified you for the same or more flagrant "errors".

2-This game was never being discussed, just mention you as an example of a double standard of a majority here. Because I may or may not like your work, but I would never put myself in a position to even insinuate prohibiting the use of your work in a forum simply because I do not like it, which in fact is not even the case but your conclusion for using you as an example of the double standard of measuring here to the errors or conclusions of analysis of this type.

3-That your intervention here was only on the basis that someone mentioned you does not mean that you should have stopped to know before accusing of what it is not.

4-The "advice" you give me is the equivalent of if I advise you that if you do not like to hear criticism of your work what you would have to do is move on from them or leave your job. LOL
As you and everyone surely do, I see what I want and not only what I like to see. It serves to compare jobs and have a more real idea of the world than if one only saw what he likes to hear. As I say, you should learn to assume criticism because this is a forum (even if the balance is so unbalanced to one side) and your work is always open to debate and criticism. Exactly the same for DF, VG and others.

From here, little or nothing more must be added of the already expressed and for my part I will not continue because my opinion is the same and I will simply respect that you do not understand or accept it.

Any power supply can provide its max watts. The efficiency indicates how much power is wasted for instance in your example 90% efficiency indicates if its drawing 1000W it can produce 900w. The power supply can still produce 1000w though it just needs to draw 1100w to do this.

Check this out for instance. Nothing to do with either console, but just PSU's in general

Check this out for instance. Nothing to do with either console, but just PSU's in general

Great video, and from what i can tell is saying what i was earlier. If you increase the draw you increase the output but you lower your efficiency. This is strictly academic though, i wouldn't recommend drawing more than what your PSU can produce.

Topher

Gold Member
It is clear that you need a summary.:

1- My first intervention was to criticize someone who insinuated and "joked" with the convenience of requesting the banning of DF from this forum to the way in which it was done (wrongly and unnecessarily in my opinion with "Elanalista") for, supposedly, having erred when detecting the existence of DRS in GotG. Its said, my response was to censure that attitude and regret the double standard when on other occasions, for example, he/they had supported you and justified you for the same or more flagrant "errors".

2-This game was never being discussed, just mention you as an example of a double standard of a majority here. Because I may or may not like your work, but I would never put myself in a position to even insinuate prohibiting the use of your work in a forum simply because I do not like it, which in fact is not even the case but your conclusion for using you as an example of the double standard of measuring here to the errors or conclusions of analysis of this type.

You keep pretending your crusade here is about those trying to "prohibit" someone's work. You are fighting windmills, dude. If you want to talk about double standards then start with the discrepancies between DF and VGT that you've conveniently ignored.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Metro Exodus
PS5 231W
iw28fqg.jpg

XBOX SX 204W
eujffd7.jpg

PS5 222W
gVwFS4r.jpg

XBOX SX 199W
ssN2pJs.jpg
thats very interesting. Higher clocks do tend to have higher power usage.

powerscalinggpuonly3pkch.png

Now this test was done by our very own DemonCleaner DemonCleaner on a RDNA1 card, but while the power consumption might be lower, the curve should be the same.

In my power consumption testing, the PS5 typically hovers around 210 Watts in PS5 SKUs like the Doom Eternal PS5 Port and Spiderman remastered. Metro should be one of the few games thats hitting the 2.23 Ghz clockspeeds while also taxing the CPU. It's hard to say for sure, but the power usage being that high should indicate that the PS5 should not have any trouble maintaining higher GPU clocks without downscaling the clocks and thus tflops to 9 tflops so many here had feared/hoped for. ;p Very interesting stuff.

I might test this in control's photomode.

SlimySnake

Poorly optimized? Based in what? Seems to me that a lot of the lighting techniques in the game are real time and not pre baked. Not sure what people were expecting, the effects in the game are quite taxing.
Based on this:

4dfdLLw.jpg

The game isnt designed to scale well on PCs or on consoles. Notice how the difference between medium and ultra is so small. Clearly, not much work was done to reduce/optimize various graphical settings.

When your average is 90 and the framerate dips to 56 in the worst case scenario in the same scene, that shows that the devs didnt account for them. Optimization doesnt always mean rewriting APIs to make them more efficient, sometimes optimization means downgrades. The fact that they downgraded the visual quality in the 60 fps modes and still couldnt hit a consistent 60 fps shows that there is more work to be done.

And I am not buying this realtime lighting excuse. Metro exodus is literally using realtime ray traced GI for the entire game, and it seems to run on average around 1440p 60 fps. Only in the forest area does it dip below 1080p on the PS5 and the XSX never dips below 1200p and seems to hover around 1700p 60 fps.

I originally thought that the game's might be bandwidth heavy, but that shouldnt have affected the xsx version which has 560 GBps of bandwidth. I can see it becoming a bottlneck for the PS5 since it only has 448 GBps of ram, but the xsx should have no such issues so the game is simply not polished enough.

Schnozberry

I'm a sucker for good story driven single player games, but I'll wait until this one gets polished up a bit.

Seems like this one came in hot to meet a Holiday release date.

SlimySnake

I'm a sucker for good story driven single player games, but I'll wait until this one gets polished up a bit.

Seems like this one came in hot to meet a Holiday release date.
Target typically does buy 2 get 1 free deals around this time. So id be on the lookout for that.

They also let you preorder, and return games you dont want.

I like Alex' analysis most of the time but sometimes his takes can be weird. When there's almost no performance difference between ultra and low settings, while the visuals are much worse on low, then something is definitely up.

I have. In fact, I've mentioned it in a reply to your post once:

Btw, it was devs who complained about it, not me.
Context is pretty important. Your comment wasn't about the XSS at all. It was in response to a statement about variable rate shading and something said about the PS5. There was nothing in your post to indicate you even knew that the XSS has SFS. You also might not know this but devs have also said the XSS isn't a problem and there are plenty of titles that show fantastic results especially for a console that costs the same or less than a Switch.

More to the topic. Guardians on XSS looks like it's running X1 code. The fact that this game is only 1080p/60 on the big consoles shows this is title needs serious optimization across the board. It is hardly a sign of some issue with the XSS as a platform.

Schnozberry

I like Alex' analysis most of the time but sometimes his takes can be weird. When there's almost no performance difference between ultra and low settings, while the visuals are much worse on low, then something is definitely up.

No, you see, it's out of control gamer expectations that are the problem. We need to accept that globomegacorp needed to meet it's release Q4 earnings projections, and it's our duty as consumers to pay full price for suboptimal products in the hopes that this cycle will not repeat itself in the future.

Md Ray

It's ceiling would be thermally limited obviously. And you can't be seriously trying to compare a console PSU to a PC PSU. Please don't go down that route. I don't wanna embarrass you in front of others again today. Listen to the cooling fan scream with higher voltage and power.

Comparing it to PC PSU? What? Where do you see "PC PSU" in my post? You said it was not robust in regards to efficiency but the PS5's PSU review mentions exactly the opposite of that. It's getting praised for its efficiency by Aris.

HrDhk26.png

avg_efficiency.png

And stop throwing tantrums like a child when you're being corrected, mkay?

Comparing it to PC PSU? What? Where do you see "PC PSU" in my post? You said it was not robust in regards to efficiency but the PS5's PSU review mentions exactly the opposite of that. It's getting praised for its efficiency by Aris.

HrDhk26.png

avg_efficiency.png

And stop throwing tantrums like a child when you're being corrected, mkay?
Corrected?? I just publicly SCHOOLED you in front of everyone in the other thread 😂. Don't make me do it again here. Where did I ever say it's not robust, or anything like that? Hmmm.... Making things up, yeah?

So it can do rated 235 out of it's 372 that you claimed earlier?? Lol i guess that's "stellar" or even "gold" rated.... OK Jan... I'm Curious as to where you get your info from actually? From ECC being better than non ECC to ps5 having a gold rated PSU... Google brings up none of these results Md Ray Md Ray . I need answers.

Last edited:
Alex is the best. He's pretty funny too. Explains the clown comment.
Isn't he just saying the big boi consoles are performing in-line with the rough equivalent PC gpu? Ie PS5 or xsx is not underperforming per se. The Dawn engine was very heavy in DXMD as I recall with weird CPU usage so it's not surprising that the visuals/performance ratio is a bit whack in GOTG, both consoles and PC.

Great video, and from what i can tell is saying what i was earlier. If you increase the draw you increase the output but you lower your efficiency. This is strictly academic though, i wouldn't recommend drawing more than what your PSU can produce.
Somehow i missed this post, but you are %100 correct in that. You never wanna go above what the PSU is rated for. Regardless if it's platinum, gold, silver, bronze, etc. You'll either blow a cap or two, or have peripheral failure, or even worse....

I just don't get where Md Ray somehow self-rated the ps5 psu as gold standard, when the efficiency completely says otherwise, or how it's not listed on Google search as such. Neither is XSX, so people don't think I'm "choosing" or picking sides. Ps5 was brought up, so I commented on that.

Mr Moose

Corrected?? I just publicly SCHOOLED you in front of everyone in the other thread 😂. Don't make me do it again here. Where did I ever say it's not robust, or anything like that? Hmmm.... Making things up, yeah?

So it can do rated 230 out of it's 372 that you claimed earlier?? Lol i guess that's "stellar" or even "gold" rated.... OK Jan... I'm Curious as to where you get your info from actually? From ECC being better than non ECC to ps5 having a gold rated PSU... Google brings up none of these results Md Ray Md Ray . I need answers.
230V now W.

Isn't he just saying the big boi consoles are performing in-line with the rough equivalent PC gpu? Ie PS5 or xsx is not underperforming per se. The Dawn engine was very heavy in DXMD as I recall with weird CPU usage so it's not surprising that the visuals/performance ratio is a bit whack in GOTG, both consoles and PC.
Yeah. People are just big babies. Alex probably said something that hurt someone's feelings so now everyone has a hate on for him. Not sure why, other than the big baby thing.

230V now W.
It's 235 watts MAXIMUM. That's including APU and peripherals. Md Ray Md Ray claimed it has a maximum of 372 watts. A maximum of 235 watts, out of 372 watts, is no where near the gold rating, likely because of the hard power limit. But even then, far from the "gold" standards in tests. And Google search confirms that. Nothing wrong with that at all. It's just disingenuous to make claims that can't be backed up.

Mr Moose

It's 235 watts MAXIMUM. That's including APU and peripherals. Md Ray Md Ray claimed it has a maximum of 372 watts. A maximum of 235 watts, out of 372 watts, is no where near the gold rating, likely because of the hard power limit. But even then, far from the "gold" standards in tests. And Google search confirms that. Nothing wrong with that at all. It's just disingenuous to make claims that can't be backed up.
Where are you reading that? That image says 230 V, not 230 (or 235) W.

Yeah. People are just big babies. Alex probably said something that hurt someone's feelings so now everyone has a hate on for him. Not sure why, other than the big baby thing.
Alex is cool as shit. He gets sooooo much hate for the things he loves. It's 2021, many people don't have thick skin now a days. Any criticism "hurts" their feelings. This is GAF, people. Not that purple site.

SlimySnake

But hes wrong about that. Equivalent PC GPUs perform well over 100 fps at 1080p even on ultra settings.

Hugare

Seems to you, orly?🤭 Seems to me that you are just citing this clown

What people seems to forget is that its not the same settings as PS4/XB1 running at 1080p on next gen machines

Thats usually the case, but this time there are tons of downgrades for the last gen versions, not simply resolution.

So despite running the game at 1080p, next gen machines are running a much more taxing version of the game

Running the game at 4K NATIVE at 30 fps but not being able to run it at 1080p is pretty weird tho

Last edited:
Top Bottom