• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Hogwarts Legacy - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - 21 Mode Variations Tested

Lysandros

Isn’t the CPU in XSX faster?
Either way I’m so 🤬 tired of badly optimized games at this point. And while patching stuff is great it usually means I’ve already finished the game once it’s in a good state. Maybe I should just stop playing games day 1 and wait for late Steam sales or Gamepass/PS+ releases instead.
Not really. It's clocked ~3% higher but it has to do more heavy lifting on I/O processing and API front. Also those CPUs are not 100% identical in architecture (not only the FPUs). PS5's CPU has lower interconnect latencies according to the machine's lead software engineer Matt Hargett.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Isn’t the CPU in XSX faster?
Either way I’m so 🤬 tired of badly optimized games at this point. And while patching stuff is great it usually means I’ve already finished the game once it’s in a good state. Maybe I should just stop playing games day 1 and wait for late Steam sales or Gamepass/PS+ releases instead.
Way bigger overhead due to Direct X. I've talked about it here in lengths during last 2-3 years.

Way more stable, like it's another game. He didn't even compare like for like because it's really a catastrophe on Xbox compared to PS5. Notably the RT mode is unplayable with big stutters not taken care by their magic VRR.

BTW where is the "Best played on PS5" subtitle here that clearly should have being used to warn people of the Xbox versions? They were so happy to declare Elden Ring being best played on their loved Xbox (just because of VRR as it actually was ALSO running better on PS5). I guess they clearly are not keen to treat the Sony console the same way as their favorite box.
A pure load of shit you're spouting. I'm almost finished with the campaign on series X and it's been almost flawless.

Fredrik

Not really. It's clocked ~3% higher but it has to do more heavy lifting on I/O processing and API front. Also those CPUs are not 100% identical in architecture (not only the FPUs). PS5's CPU has lower interconnect latencies according to the machine's lead software engineer Matt Hargett.
Ah yeah that could be it then I guess. Plus PS5 have specific audio hardware that XSX lacks, could mean advanced audio steal some resources sometimes needed elsewhere.
I had a long stretch in Hogwarts where it looked like it ran in the 40s for no apparent reason on Xbox, nothing special going on at all. Awhile later some ghosts flew about argueing. Maybe some memory leak or assets loading issue?

Last edited:

YCoCg

Apparently, the Series S has a faster CPU as well:

Well yeah the Series S has a good CPU, that's why it's an emulation beast, but Microsoft took the shortsighted route and gimped HEAVILY on the RAM with it being both slower AND nearly halved. They should've stuck with something like 12GB and upped the speed to offset the calculations need for ray tracing and such.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Apparently, the Series S has a faster CPU as well:

I mean, you're not far off.

Below image via DF.

123kceu2.png

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
And everyone attacked DF for being "woke" in that other thread for thinking they weren't going to cover this game. We should be ashamed of ourselves.
Speaking for myself, I criticized DF for being dead silent and acting like possibly the biggest selling game of 2023 did not exist at all. It was totally out of ordinary from how they usually cover games, especially big AAA ones. This really seems like Leadbetter stepped up and just did what they had to do, possibly getting into it with EG cucks and his own staff over it.

also another one etc

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Sure is funny how games with sony marketing usually run better on sony consoles. I’m sure that has nothing to do with how they’re fighting tooth and nail to hide documents in court cases. must just be coincidence
"Oh no, we don't have time to optimize both versions. Which one should we focus on: the one that helped pay us to get this game made or the other one?!?!"

I wish I had your Xbox, I’ve only been inside Hogwarts and I’ve seen dips all over the place, at one point for like a minute, looked really bad.
I have no VRR TV though so any stutter masked by that won’t help me.
My tv does have VRR, and I'm playing fidelity mode with no rt. Only issues I've noticed so far in my 30ish hours of playtime: I had one crash, and I was so pissed because I hadn't manually saved in like two hours, but luckily the autosave picked up right where I was cut off, and the other instance is with Fig in his office. He has some weird clipping stuff going on in there.

Not saying the PS5 version can't be better or anything, just that I've had a very smooth experience in my playthrough.

Last edited:
Which larger title has missing RT features ?

1. Hogwarts Legacy
  2. No RT reflections in the Medium
  3. Fortnite (gimped/software implementation)
  4. DMC5 SE
  5. COD: Cold War
  6. F122
  7. Ghostrunner
  8. Chernobylite

A couple of them I remembered, others I had to look up. But, it seems to be a compromise at best if/when enabled. It's not surprising when looking at specs, especially when some games like Metro Exodus bottom out on the resolution scale with RT enabled on the Series S.

skneogaf

Big props to Richard for doing this, I was one that tweeted them to highlight the fact that it's a very popular video game that needs coverage and just because the author has an opinion that isn't there's doesn't mean it should not be covered.

The game has the most graphic options I've seen on consoles so is a great way to compare them all, it does seem ps5 was lead development as xbox versions need some work.

SLB1904

Banned
But the XSX and PS5 CPUs are nearly identical.

The game is definitely CPU bound on PC, but it still doesnt explain why the PS5 would be performing so much better.
Watch cerny presentation. He literally go in depth why he chose snartshift ting

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Grabbed it on Xbox. Guess I made a mistake...

Which mode should I use with a 120hz display and VRR?

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I’m playing on fidelity RT on PS5 & it’s very stable, but there’s still a lot of graphical pop-in issues with the game. Hope that’s fixed soon.

Jaybe

Grabbed it on Xbox. Guess I made a mistake...

Which mode should I use with a 120hz display and VRR?

I’ve been satisfied with performance w/o VRR mode but haven’t gone to Hogsmeade yet. If it drops a lot I may do performance with VRR. Fidelity w/o ray tracing seemed very stable on Xbox Series X at 30 fps as well based on DF’s analysis.

Rippa

Looks like Fidelity + RT mode on PS5 for the most cinematic experience is the way to go.

Good work on analyzing a video game for its technical prowess and not delving into political horseshit DF. You just gained some respect from me.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

I've been playing Fidelity + RT on my Series X with uncapped framerate and it's been generally great. There's the odd time I notice some frame drops but not that common to be annoying.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Way bigger overhead due to Direct X. I've talked about it here in lengths during last 2-3 years.
Directx has a Cpu overhead? That could explain this mess because the game is definitely cpu bound on PC.

Why does it only affect some dx games? Rt caused all kinds of issues in this game and in Gotham knights on my PC. My cpu usage in this game is a pathetic 15-20%. I also have an 8 core 16 thread cpu albeit with clocks that can hit 5 ghz. There is no way the cpu is being maxed out here. Even on consoles.

I just hope they go back to the drawing board and multi thread some of these processes.

dirtyarcade

Neo Member
Ended up picking this up on SX over PS5 simply for quick resume. I’m about 27 hours in all on fidelity mode. There’s definitely some occasional stuttering that’ll last about a second here and there when I’m sprinting through the school. To be honest I feel like it’s actually become more frequent since the last patch as I’ve been playing since the 7th and don’t recall it doing that as much before a couple days ago. All that said, the stuttering issue is still infrequent enough that it’s yet to tarnish my enjoyment of the game. I don’t regret going Xbox on this one because as expected, Quick resume has been awesome and really shines for single player games like this. Overall this game looks incredible to me and runs well enough to be an non-issue for me. I say that as someone that got a refund for CP2077.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Directx has a Cpu overhead? That could explain this mess because the game is definitely cpu bound on PC.

Why does it only affect some dx games? Rt caused all kinds of issues in this game and in Gotham knights on my PC. My cpu usage in this game is a pathetic 15-20%. I also have an 8 core 16 thread cpu albeit with clocks that can hit 5 ghz. There is no way the cpu is being maxed out here. Even on consoles.

I just hope they go back to the drawing board and multi thread some of these processes.
For certain operation it has, think about it like a Garbage collected language with JIT compiler vs something like C, RUST, etc. It basically has it's own runtime, which controls the whole flow. Thus stuff takes longer because there is added logic.

Direct X enabled PC gaming, prior to that, you had to have specific HW to play the game, so it was revolutionary.

With DX 12, you can do your own routines, which gets pre-compiled on first run of the game (not shaders, these are functions, for something like loading stuff to memory, physics, low-level stuff), problem with that is that, nobody is doing that. Pretty much only game which supports dx 12 "right way" often has Vulkan back-end as well, because non-graphical stuff is the same and code, with some minor alteration could be used for both APIs. There are sadly, sort of DX11 > DX12 wrapper, if you will. You can take game on DX11, run it through the tool and then you can on top of it, enabled things like RT. *cough witcher next-gen*

However the with GPU operation, they are still highly abstracted and not many people actually know what is happening there. But it has cool features, like async shader compilation and a lot of compute stuff, which was insanely hard to do prior to DX12 ultimate, it was selling point of consoles (that supercharged x86 we've been told), in practice, running code which has GPU and CPU portion of it inside is a nightmare, even if it works well a lot of the times your are wasting cycles and lastly AMD is behind it, thus the software sucked. Given what CPUs we have now in consoles, it was clearly a dead end.

Aenima

Good to know Digital Foundry can still do they own thing without having to follow Eurogamer.net politics. And good to know the game runs fine on PS5. Will eventully play it, just not yet as i have too much stuff to play, so can wait for a promo.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
- Uncapped performances ranges are similar to Series X. PS5 has less drops when capped.
- Summary: Generally fine on PS5 but Xbox versions need some more work

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

Last edited:

Connxtion

Xbox series X:

Only issues I have had in over 20h of playing in Balanced mode is the odd stutter when running about in Hogwarts. I just put it down to loading assets 😂 but FPS has been solid and never felt like it dipped.

The other issue, is mission not restarting it lets me run about with enemies just standing about 😂 need to quit and reload to fix it. I suspect it due to sleep mode of the XBSX

Top Bottom