• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Inside Doom Eternal's Next-Gen Upgrade: The id Software Technology Breakdown

Keep protesting man, I'm sure that will change what you said :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

You said can't be arsed to take the time, in what world does that not equate to lazy exactly? Again this is what you wrote.

Just accept made a mistake and move on. Like the mistake you made when defending price hikes and saying every PS5 made had coil whine.

As for rest of post, I love id Software can't wait to see what they make next. I have an Xbox Series X, so I'll be able to play the uncompromised edition day one.
I'm slightly reassured and glad to see MS first party studios can totally drop core features to make the XSX version better.

Feel slightly bad that XSS have been mis-marketed. I'm sure most would have expected RT from first party studios as a given.
I am not admitting anything. I never called anyone lazy and you can't prove that I did. Just because you believed the voices in your head doesn't mean that in reality it is true. Shouldn't be too hard to simply provide the post, in a relevant thread I might add, that shows me clearly calling a game developer lazy. No substitutions none of you trying to invent what I mean. Just a straight quote. If you can I'll take a ban. If you can't you take the ban and stop lying. Deal?

The rest of your post about the XSS is more nonsense. The XSS was marketed as a low cost, budget console. It was marketed as being able to play current gen games at 1440p. This is the same way that the XSX and PS5 were marketed as playing games at 4k. The XSS has the same feature set, CPU, and SSD as the XSX. It was sold as having the same RDNA 2 feature set and being able to play the same games as the XSX at a lower fidelity. What about any of that wasn't true?

How does Doom Eternal not having RT on the XSS version, a feature that the game didn't ship with, a core feature? Are you saying Doom Eternal was incomplete at launch? Are you calling ID lazy because the game shipped without a core feature?! You can't honestly believe what you type. You should feel bad for stating nonsense and lying about people. The XSS is fine.

dcmk7

Banned
I am not admitting anything. I never called anyone lazy and you can't prove that I did. Just because you believed the voices in your head doesn't mean that in reality it is true. Shouldn't be too hard to simply provide the post, in a relevant thread I might add, that shows me clearly calling a game developer lazy. No substitutions none of you trying to invent what I mean. Just a straight quote. If you can I'll take a ban. If you can't you take the ban and stop lying. Deal?
Who would do a deal with you :messenger_tears_of_joy:. You don't know the difference between imply and infer for a start, how anyone can believe this sentence is anything other than suggesting someone is lazy is beyond me...

developers don't want to take the time to make it work.

Like said before, it's very ignorant and should show more respect to the experts out there.

Developers aren't lazy if they come across technical hurdles too difficult to overcome. Should stop suggesting they are. Makes you look foolish.

Are id Software lazy because they didn't include RT for XSS? But managed it for all the others formats.

Of course not. See how flimsy that argument is?

Since you don't understand what implied means, or anything, it's difficult to be a part of any deal with you. You've lost at least one bet that you didn't man up and take responsibility for. That's before mentioning you have no credibility and that you're a proven liar. So even if you did understand wouldn't trust you to make good on it.

Tbh, I wouldn't even want to see you banned anyway, your hot takes are quite amusing. Your claims are super easy to disprove - mainly down to you not being educated enough on the subject.

Trying to get back to the topic a bit more..

How does Doom Eternal not having RT on the XSS version, a feature that the game didn't ship with, a core feature? Are you saying Doom Eternal was incomplete at launch? Are you calling ID lazy because the game shipped without a core feature?! You can't honestly believe what you type. You should feel bad for stating nonsense and lying about people. The XSS is fine.
Are you forgetting it's a next gen patch?

This patched version has been specially designed to take advantage of the new hardware features. RT being front and centre of the new features. It's also the most hyped feature in the update.

So the core experience has changed with the update.

And it's just been launched. I thought you're a gamer? You should know this all!

Which takes me back to this sentence, that I've just written.

"And your claims are super easy to disprove - mainly down to you not being educated enough on the subject"

See. Disproven again.

Last edited:
Who would do a deal with you :messenger_tears_of_joy:. You don't know the difference between imply and infer for a start, how anyone can believe this sentence is anything other than suggesting someone is lazy is beyond me...

Like said before, it's very ignorant and should show more respect to the experts out there.

Developers aren't lazy if they come across technical hurdles too difficult to overcome. Should stop suggesting they are. Makes you look foolish.

Are id Software lazy because they didn't include RT for XSS? But managed it for all the others formats.

Of course not. See how flimsy that argument is?

Since you don't understand what implied means, or anything, it's difficult to be a part of any deal with you. You've lost at least one bet that you didn't man up and take responsibility for. That's before mentioning you have no credibility and that you're a proven liar. So even if you did understand wouldn't trust you to make good on it.

Tbh, I wouldn't even want to see you banned anyway, your hot takes are quite amusing. Your claims are super easy to disprove - mainly down to you not being educated enough on the subject.

Trying to get back to the topic a bit more..

Are you forgetting it's a next gen patch?

This patched version has been specially designed to take advantage of the new hardware features. RT being front and centre of the new features. It's also the most hyped feature in the update.

So the core experience has changed with the update.

And it's just been launched. I thought you're a gamer? You should know this all!

Which takes me back to this sentence, that I've just written.

"And your claims are super easy to disprove - mainly down to you not being educated enough on the subject"

See. Disproven again.
I didn't see you take my offer and would prefer to spew more nonsense. The arrogance to believe you know what I meant more than I did, the person who made the statement. It's like you can't even fathom that perhaps, just perhaps, a developer did a cost benefit analysis and decided not to implement a feature on the XSS. That has nothing to do with being lazy but you seem incapable of any other thought which is typical of you.

There are plenty of reasons why a developer wouldn't want to take the time to do something and laziness was never MY consideration. Maybe the XSS didn't sell enough units so the time to optimize that particular version of the game wasn't worthwhile. Perhaps compromises in resolution would be too great so they didn't want to spend time adding the feature. But you with your small-mindedness stuck to laziness a term I DID NOT USE. How sad you are. I do understand why you won't take the ban bet though. Can't spread lies if you can't post.

With regards to your continued nonsense on Doom, the biggest part of the next gen patch was 120 fps. I'm certain don't know this but the XSS has this mode. It is not available on any other last generation platform. This game is about fast paced action and movement not RT. The core experience has nothing to do with RT and it never has. Hence RT being added after the fact as an extra graphical nicety not a 'core feature' as you wrongly claim. RT has been an optional feature on many games on the XSX and PS5. Most of those games allow gamers to turn off RT to get more performance. Turning off RT in Spiderman doesn't affect the core experience of the game. You sound ridiculous.

In this case I'm certain that ID wanted a certain level of performance and RT would have caused too many compromises in areas they didn't want to compromise on something like I dunno framerate? This game running at 1080p probably benefits the least from RT on the XSS so it was dropped. No biggie this game is on Gamepass and you can't build a $300 PC that runs this title at 120fps let alone with raytracing. The XSS is a budget device after all, graphical compromises were always going to happen. The XSS continues to offer the best bang for your buck though and your continued lies and misinformation about the platform and myself continue to show just how little you know on a multitude of things. Cheers.

dcmk7

Banned
I didn't see you take my offer and would prefer to spew more nonsense. The arrogance to believe you know what I meant more than I did, the person who made the statement. It's like you can't even fathom that perhaps, just perhaps, a developer did a cost benefit analysis and decided not to implement a feature on the XSS. That has nothing to do with being lazy but you seem incapable of any other thought which is typical of you.

There are plenty of reasons why a developer wouldn't want to take the time to do something and laziness was never MY consideration. Maybe the XSS didn't sell enough units so the time to optimize that particular version of the game wasn't worthwhile. Perhaps compromises in resolution would be too great so they didn't want to spend time adding the feature. But you with your small-mindedness stuck to laziness a term I DID NOT USE. How sad you are. I do understand why you won't take the ban bet though. Can't spread lies if you can't post.

With regards to your continued nonsense on Doom, the biggest part of the next gen patch was 120 fps. I'm certain don't know this but the XSS has this mode. It is not available on any other last generation platform. This game is about fast paced action and movement not RT. The core experience has nothing to do with RT and it never has. Hence RT being added after the fact as an extra graphical nicety not a 'core feature' as you wrongly claim. RT has been an optional feature on many games on the XSX and PS5. Most of those games allow gamers to turn off RT to get more performance. Turning off RT in Spiderman doesn't affect the core experience of the game. You sound ridiculous.

In this case I'm certain that ID wanted a certain level of performance and RT would have caused too many compromises in areas they didn't want to compromise on something like I dunno framerate? This game running at 1080p probably benefits the least from RT on the XSS so it was dropped. No biggie this game is on Gamepass and you can't build a $300 PC that runs this title at 120fps let alone with raytracing. The XSS is a budget device after all, graphical compromises were always going to happen. The XSS continues to offer the best bang for your buck though and your continued lies and misinformation about the platform and myself continue to show just how little you know on a multitude of things. Cheers.
"That is why many developers drop the feature. It's not that it can't do it, it's that some developers don't want to take the time to make it work. The fact that it CAN do it shows its a next gen console that happens to be the most affordable on the market. I don't know why you can't understand this. It is still a class above the X1X despite it not running games in 4K.."

That doesn't imply they are lazy?

Ok then.

Was no hint of finances in your post. Where did finances suddenly come from? Certainly wasn't in the post you had originally quoted. Almost like you have just invented that excuse. That's what you do, move goalposts and why no one takes you seriously.

Your incessant lying doesn't do you any favours. Just own your mistakes man.

But let's discuss it when come back to the real world and are mature enough to accept responsibility.

Fortunately, your denial doesn't change the basics of the English language and people's comprehension.

Just lay off the developers man, they are doing their best, can't work miracles and defy technical limitations.

The XSS continues to offer the best bang for your buck
4TF machine for £250? Best bang for buck? Disagree but ok, it's your money.

Not being able to run a first party game in RT mode.. and some other games are offering resolutions of 500~ and 600~, which is Nintendo Switch levels of resolution, in 2021, certainly doesn't scream the best bang for buck IMO.

Last edited:
"That is why many developers drop the feature. It's not that it can't do it, it's that some developers don't want to take the time to make it work. The fact that it CAN do it shows its a next gen console that happens to be the most affordable on the market. I don't know why you can't understand this. It is still a class above the X1X despite it not running games in 4K.."

That doesn't imply they are lazy?

Ok then.

Was no hint of finances in your post. Where did finances suddenly come from? Certainly wasn't in the post you had originally quoted. Almost like you have just invented that excuse. That's what you do, move goalposts and why no one takes you seriously.

Your incessant lying doesn't do you any favours. Just own your mistakes man.

But let's discuss it when come back to the real world and are mature enough to accept responsibility.

Fortunately, your denial doesn't change the basics of the English language and people's comprehension.

Just lay off the developers man, they are doing their best, can't work miracles and defy technical limitations.

4TF machine for £250? Best bang for buck? Disagree but ok, it's your money.

Not being able to run a first party game in RT mode.. and some other games are offering resolutions of 500~ and 600~, which is Nintendo Switch levels of resolution, in 2021, certainly doesn't scream the best bang for buck IMO.

Yup the XSS can do RT if developers want to make it work. The system has been proven to be able to implement the feature. It will be with compromises, as a $300 console would have, so a developer may not want to take to the time to make it work. Nothing to do with lazy but we've already established you don't have a clue what you are talking about. What you should do is stop insulting ID by complaining about them launching Doom Eternal without raytracing, the 'core feature' as you say. They worked hard on the project and you are insinuating they are lazy by lacking 'core features' from the beginning. I'd ask you to be better but we know you aren't capable of that.

Yes the XSS offers the best bang for your buck especially seeing it has more 120fps games than certain platforms and offers the full suite of RDNA 2 features. You can't get more for the same or less money. Your disingenuous comment about ID being 1st party is just as lame as the first time you made it. Doom Eternal came out before ID was brought. You know it, I know it yet you still try make some ridiculous point it's pretty sad.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yup the XSS can do RT if developers want to make it work. The system has been proven to be able to implement the feature. It will be with compromises, as a $300 console would have,
A $349-399 reduced storage digital XSX would not have ;).

Yes the XSS offers the best bang for your buck
Interesting, care to offer reasons why XSX is worse than XSS greatness/$ wise ;)?

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
They used a software emulated version of the inferior Tier 1 VRS in Metro, Devs stated that and DF covered it. If there was any hardware support for something similar I'm sure id would have used it as they clearly state they wanted it in all versions in this interview.
'Something similar' in output doesn't necessarily equate to similar in the rendering pipeline, and can be prohibitively expensive to implement on a timeline.
Sometimes even from the same vendor (eg. NVidia offered 'foveated/lens matching' in two(now 3, if we count VRS as another method) different generations that was complete opposite implementation side, even though output (improved pixel density for the same cost) is relatively the same.

dcmk7

Banned
Yup the XSS can do RT if developers want to make it work

Why do you suppose that is? Why did a first party studio not want to make RT work for XSS.. but they did want to make it work for the PS5. Peculiar.

seeing it has more 120fps games than certain platforms
Don't know if this is true. Or why it's important. Considering that most aspects of gaming is judged on quality and not quantity.

But what is true is that it certainly runs that mode better on certain platforms. Can't remember a 120fps game hitting 500/600 resolution on those.

If people want good performance, XSS is without doubt the worse bang for buck out of the lot of them. You can actually prove it too on a technical level. It hasn't been well thought out. Spending so much to play heavily compromised versions of next gen titles. That can hit lows of 500/600~ on some titles isn't good for 2021.

It's a bit of bad sign that id Software, a first party studio, couldn't even pull off feature parity. And had to drop features. It's a very bad look.

Doom Eternal came out before ID was brought.
The patch didn't. PS5 has it, why not XSS? Probably the technical limitations.

stop insulting ID by complaining about them launching Doom Eternal without raytracing, the 'core feature' as you say.
I complained.. where? I said the next gen patch has RT as a core experience. You're showing your maturity by desperately reaching now. Its pretty funny to watch.

I can at least back up my claims with actual quotes:

That is why many developers drop the feature. It's not that it can't do it, it's that some developers don't want to take the time to make it work.
That suggests developers can't be bothered to spend the time, hence implying they are lazy.

Google the definition of implying, if you're stuck or confused, you don't seem to get it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom