• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Inside Forza Horizon 5 - From Concept To The Evolving World - Digital Foundry Tech Interview

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Just before the launch of Forza Horizon 5, Rich visited Playground Games to get the low-down on the team's work in creating the game, to talk tech and to get an accurate view of how the game scaled across the Xbox consoles. An interview was also shot that was delayed for various reasons but here it is at last! Learn how Forza Horizon 5 came to be, and how the game has been designed with an 'evolving world' in mind - a teaser on how the game is set to change over time.

adamsapple

Did he asked the team about 40fps 120hz quality mode and 60fps+ VRR performance mode?

No this is just the developers talking about the techniques used for the game on all platforms. Not exactly a back and forth question scenario.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why jerk off Forza now?
There were multiple videos on it's tech around release window.
Anything new in this ?
Would prefer videos on new games, vrr or steam deck... not forza again
edit: christ people... if you get triggered so easily, you should get off social media for some time... chill people !

Last edited:

adamsapple

Damn, almost missed this one, I can watch these all days, good stuff.

Yeah, it's a good informational video.

Why jerk off Forza now?
Anything new in this ?

It was shot and meant to be put up earlier, close to the games launch probably when it would have had more traction.

An interview was also shot that was delayed for various reasons but here it is at last!

Wonder if one of the various reasons is all about timing to cushion the next game being cross gen

giphy.gif

Stuart360

Wonder if one of the various reasons is all about timing to cushion the next game being cross gen
Heisenberg already said the game is next gen only, and they made a low sped build on XB1 so they could fill the servers when play testing as not many XSX/XSS were in the wild at that time.
And i'm pretty sure i have read similar before about some games in the past.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Why jerk off Forza now?
Anything new in this ?

There are literally thousands of channels that have access to PS5 to do a video on VRR (fucking lol) or Steam Deck. Go watch these and stop whining.

How many channels have this close and insightful access to developers to talk tech?

Amazing devs, amazing tech, can't wait to see what they will do next.

R.211b0b26ebb2b81307f8dcbc40bf03ae

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There are literally thousands of channels that have access to PS5 to do a video on VRR (fucking lol) or Steam Deck. Go watch these and stop whining.

How many channels have this close and insightful access to developers to talk tech?

Amazing devs, amazing tech, can't wait to see what they will do next.

R.211b0b26ebb2b81307f8dcbc40bf03ae
Nothing special imo... Looks just the same as 4 did (which is still very good).
Nothing worth doing like 5 videos over it really.

I can't understand why some people attack me over it?
I just stated my opinion. get over it maybe and don't make it into a bigger issue than it is.
Watch the video if you are interested in it.

and what is that "vrr fucking lol" comment? Did I missed DF analysis over that one?

I just stated my opinion. get over it maybe and don't make it into a bigger issue than it is.

and what is that "vrr fucking lol" comment? Did I missed DF analysis over that one?
Then why bother commenting in the first place? These guys have some of the best tech in the business and this is access no other tech channel could even dream to have, you don't like it then go elsewhere, simple.

nemiroff

Gold Member

? Why would you click the thread just to tell us you're not interested in the topic literally described in the fucking topic?? OTOH your narcissism is funny.

Edit: I'm done responding to this.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
? Why would you click the thread just to tell us you're not interested in the topic literally described in the fucking topic?? OTOH your narcissism is funny.
I don't know why.
It's the internet... you just click away stuff when sitting on the toilet.

Anyway, the topic is not for only one type of opinions on the video is it ?!
Or do we disallow any opinions other than blindly positive ?
my "meh" opinion is worthless but if we start judging worth of posts, we will have nobody posting...

tl;dr - I just posted quick opinion, not sure why. Would be ok but every butthurt gotta respond to it and make it a problem

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Why jerk off Forza now?
Anything new in this ?
edit: christ people... if you get triggered so easily, you should get off social media for some time... chill people !
rofif is mad because DF didn't do a video on a video of a video of a video on VRR

Shmunter

Heisenberg already said the game is next gen only, and they made a low sped build on XB1 so they could fill the servers when play testing as not many XSX/XSS were in the wild at that time.
And i'm pretty sure i have read similar before about some games in the past.
With all due respect to Heisenberg, we’ve heard it all before on the blue system. Things seemingly change on a whim these days.

How can either be ruled out especially with smoke more often than not indicating fire.

I’m a stringent advocate of cutting the last gen loose so this sort of thing pleases me not.

Last edited:
Playground are the best racing car devs at this time. They really are at the top of their game. To think they were dropping a game every two years is nuts.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They better be using this engine for Fable.
As much as I love UE5 me thinks these guys have got this engine on point they could do a Fable game in the same engine.

adamsapple

Playground are the best racing car devs at this time. They really are at the top of their game. To think they were dropping a game every two years is nuts.

Even nuttier that PG and Turn 10 were dropping bangers on alternate years for a good couple of years there.

I'm glad they both get a break and longer dev time before the IP to the ground like Ubi.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Pretty interesting interviews, they seem to suggest the 60fps was only possible on Series consoles due to the asset streaming on the SSD, something well beyond even the Xbox One X.
Probably why the Series S version can run up to twice the framerate of One X.
pretty-cool-cerny.gif

And I remember when people argued against SSD/IO streaming improving graphics and framerates when Cerny mentioned it.

adamsapple

I was messing around on FH2 the other day. Still looks great at times.

FH2 and FH5 both run on the aged 2013 XBO hardware and there's a massive difference in IQ/visuals/world between them.

I'm always fascinated by how much developers can take out of the same fixed level hardware between launch window and a few years later.

Shmunter

FH2 and FH5 both run on the aged 2013 XBO hardware and there's a massive difference in IQ/visuals/world between them.

I'm always fascinated by how much developers can take out of the same fixed level hardware between launch window and a few years later.
Yeah, that’s the thing about fixed hardware. Appreciating the advancement in utilisation.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Yes I was impressed with how FH5 looked on the Xb1. I can't remember if it was 1080p though maybe with DRS ?

Edit yes goes to 810p

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Pretty interesting interviews, they seem to suggest the 60fps was only possible on Series consoles due to the asset streaming on the SSD, something well beyond even the Xbox One X.
Probably why the Series S version can run up to twice the framerate of One X.
Would interested to test with a 580 and a HDD if the options are selectable.

Which is why its so weird when some claimed that the XSS would 'struggle' as time goes on. Devs will get more experienced with the hardware and the results will get even better as time goes on. I am looking forward to seeing how current gen Forza looks on both Xboxes. Expecting impressive results.

dcmk7

Banned
Which is why its so weird when some claimed that the XSS would 'struggle' as time goes on. Devs will get more experienced with the hardware and the results will get even better as time goes on. I am looking forward to seeing how current gen Forza looks on both Xboxes. Expecting impressive results.
Multiple developers and even Digital Foundry have said they are concerned about how it will fare in the future.

Seeing how compromised some version of games are, it's not exactly an outlandish claim.

GustavoLT

at the time, I was more impressed with FH3 and FH4 running on Xbox One X!
30fps is great in graphics but it´s 30fps!
60fps is great in performance but it´s a pop in show!

if turn 10 could at least do 40fps120hz quality on Series X! :messenger_hushed:

Ozriel

M$FT
Multiple developers and even Digital Foundry have said they are concerned about how it will fare in the future.

Seeing how compromised some version of games are, it's not exactly an outlandish claim.

Most of those concerns were expressed before the gen started. Post launch, most of these have petered out.

We’re seeing Series S games with reduced visual settings, lower resolution or in some cases no high framerate modes. But let’s not pretend it’s a ‘Switch port’ situation. In most games, compromises are minor and restricted to resolution.

It should actually do better in the future with the rise of more improved reconstruction techniques like FSR 2.0.

Nobody’s paying $299 for a 1080p console to complain about lack of RT.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

The Control developer kind of said the opposite; that XSS makes cross gen particularly difficult but once engines are modernized it won't be as bad.

FWIW, I wish the XSS just didn't exist as I think either way it complicates things.

Top Bottom