• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - The Digital Foundry Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering Riky was mentioned like 5 times in this topic before he even posted, I'd say he's got the right to gloat here (y) :D

Oh jeez I don't think the Series S is designed to compete with the PS5 where power is concerned. Looking at the comparison it seems like it's an outlier compared to all the other ones that we had. If this happens more often then that's a different story.

Every game launched in the last year or so since covid hit has been in development hell. This new engine seems really good for lego games, why are they dropping it? It uses a lot of good tech. I guess they think UE5 will just be easier to find employees across the industry with experience on it? That's what I have heard from a few developer friends. There's so much moving around that it pays off to use an engine that more people will have experience with.

The fact they are wanting to make a large online game makes sense to use unreal. It will be set up to handle online components much better than an engine that's only done local Co op.

They bit off more than they could chew basically. The game was having issues before covid even hit

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh jeez I don't think the Series S is designed to compete with the PS5 where power is concerned. Looking at the comparison it seems like it's an outlier compared to all the other ones that we had. If this happens more often then that's a different story.

Of course, no one should take 1 game as an indicative of anything, the OP posted that last line in his post as a joke too.

It is a big difference between the versions, probably the biggest one in a multi platform game yet, but it's till just one game for now.

ManaByte

revenge of the sith GIF by Star Wars

You know nothing about this engine, the results are obvious, just deal with it.
Love it when the dribbling fanboys have to start deflecting when they don't like the results, attack someone else to make yourself feel better, get used to it.

We know enough that they're not using it after one game.

1 game out of 100 is enough to make you salivate. Do a bit of self-reflection

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They bit off more than they could chew basically. The game was having issues before covid even hit

Yeah its definitely an ambitious title, 9 movies all represented well. Tons of huge open areas with npcs and basically lego star wars heaven. Not surprised it was rough, plus having to dev for like 5 platforms. Must have been insane and then covid on top.

I guess, this engine just prefers a fat boy wide gpu to increase resolution. Its quite slow paced so maybe the higher frequencies aren't beneficial here.

Huge difference though, must be the largest gulf in a big studio mainstream release yet. Maybe they can patch the ps5 version in the future.

Of course, no one should take 1 game as an indicative of anything, the OP posted that last line in his post as a joke too.

It is a big difference between the versions, probably the biggest one in a multi platform game yet, but it's till just one game for now.

Yes I agree with that. It's like the Touryst running at 8K on the PS5. I would consider that an outlier as well.

The reasons why we have this big difference between the two can only be speculated on at the moment.

We certainly don't have enough games with this type of a difference to start blaming the hardware. We have seen that sometimes the game is badly optimized on one platform and not the other. That's not always the case though.

On a serious note the PS5 should be a lot closer to the XSX. After all it's designed to compete with that platform and not the XSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom