• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Nixxes tech interview on Spiderman Remastered PC port

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You look at objects off mirrors and reflective surfaces as often as you look at them directly, and you do the same thing in videogames?
When I am swinging through buildings I look at the them and their reflections as often as the other objects in the scenery.

Last edited:
Hilarious that’s what you got from that, my whole issue with D&D is from a technical perspective (a stance I’ve already made clear here), meaning the studio has to work on both versions at the same time. I don’t care if it gets ported to PC later on by a different studio, fine by me. I want the console version to be priority #1 for all their FP studios, but keep going warrior.

The only PS5 titles that everyone including me are expecting day 1 on PC are their live-service games (Haven Studios).
This I agree with we haven’t gotten native ps5 versions of god of war and days gone likely because of focus on the pc versions

iHaunter

That's a big upgrade
xUQcQ2H.jpg
Hmm maybe will get this on PC after all.

Pedro Motta

I missed the bullshit in the game. Does they also have N64 reflections that looks great on the eyes on blind fanboys?
The reflections look aceptable during gameplay, I finished the game twice, and Miles morales another couple of times. Never once I stopped in front of a reflection and adjusted the camera to see N64 textures. I have the game on PC, I have a RTX 3090, there is no use in using VERY HIGH on Raytracing unless just to say you can (but you can't cuz it tanks performance). So I call bullshit on your take. Try playing the game and not standing in front of windows, enjoy yourself.

Corndog

Banned
Interesting bits for me:

I thought about this when people always talk about Sony speeding up their porting process as this gen goes on from PS5 to PC, this took almost an year to port. So how much time do you think it'll take to port a native PS5 game that's using all of the console's feature sets, to PC? I think it'll take much longer just because of all the tech involved compared to porting a PS4 title to PC.

Would love to hear your take on this, @thicc_girls_are_teh_best.
I think as time goes on it will take less. They don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time.

The reflections look aceptable during gameplay, I finished the game twice, and Miles morales another couple of times. Never once I stopped in front of a reflection and adjusted the camera to see N64 textures. I have the game on PC, I have a RTX 3090, there is no use in using VERY HIGH on Raytracing unless just to say you can (but you can't cuz it tanks performance). So I call bullshit on your take. Try playing the game and not standing in front of windows, enjoy yourself.
It’s really weird the ps5 is being made fun of for this when it’s literally he high setting on pc (which means most PCs will also look bad)

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I will do both and have double the fun.

Pedro Motta

It’s really weird the ps5 is being made fun of for this when it’s literally he high setting on pc (which means most PCs will also look bad)
I know the truth because I have all the platforms, and I know where the PC advantage is, and currently it's not on VERY HIGH raytracing settings. He is just a little crazy man shouting the same shit on every thread about Spiderman.

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm very surprised by my system performance, I'd never imagine that a PS4 game would not run at perfect 60 on a Ryzen 5 3600XT with a RTX 2060 at 1080p. Doesn't matter the resolution or game settings, I drop frames under 60, maybe its my CPU the culprint, idk, I'm still waiting for zen 4 and rtx 40xx to upgrade.

T
I'm very surprised by my system performance, I'd never imagine that a PS4 game would not run at perfect 60 on a Ryzen 5 3600XT with a RTX 2060 at 1080p. Doesn't matter the resolution or game settings, I drop frames under 60, maybe its my CPU the culprint, idk, I'm still waiting for zen 4 and rtx 40xx to upgrade.
this is a ps5 game…

Ev1L AuRoN

I heard the lowest settings in some areas is still above the ps4 pro version
I got drop frames even with my GPU usage below 70% I dropped everything, resolution, settings etc... I think the CPU must be the limiting factor, in Nixxes defense, I didn't experience any shader stutters in the game.

I got drop frames even with my GPU usage below 70% I dropped everything, resolution, settings etc... I think the CPU must be the limiting factor, in Nixxes defense, I didn't experience any shader stutters in the game.
Yeah the game is EXTREMELY cpu demanding because of the way they constructed this pc port and basically had the cpu handle mode things. It gets even worse when rt is turned on

3liteDragon

If the DF interview with Nixxes is anything to go by, it’s 100% the CPU.

sinnergy

If the DF interview with Nixxes is anything to go by, it’s 100% the CPU.
Yup and if nixxes can’t overcome that it shows how great the PS5 and Series consoles are at the moment , like the old days when consoles had the upper hand for the first 2 years or so. Clearly the decompression blocks is something that is also needed in PC space for example.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yup and if nixxes can’t overcome that it shows how great the PS5 and Series consoles are at the moment , like the old days when consoles had the upper hand for the first 2 years or so. Clearly the decompression blocks is something that is also needed in PC space for example.
For both XSX and PS5 it shows what the advantage of a closed box ecosystem is (for the platform maker and for devs): you can advance faster (DirectStorage was announced on PC eons ago, paper launched already, nobody is using it or planning to use it yet... and that is without GPU acceleration for decompression), have more devs bet on it and control it directly (without having to wade through API indirections as much and hoping the various vendors align). You also have less of a problem with things such such as shader compilation stutters, which becomes worse and worse as you increase the HW variation.
Some of their comments about loading time improvements having to be abandoned because they were hurting in game streaming performance was also quite interesting.

Considering how much Sony’s first parties are productive and enjoying the low level access (and simplifications to their engine and game code this brings), I am glad they are allowing them to max the console and then have dedicated PC experts make an improved very optimised PC versions months down the line. It helps bring the best in both platforms.

It was a nice interview :).

Last edited:
Top Bottom