• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Oddworld Soulstorm Enhanced Edition: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tested!

Arioco

- PS5 is 1440p. Performance is mostly 60 fps with the checkpoint stutters the game launched with and affect all versions, and some rare dips during the most intense sequences. It has double buffer vsync which is not present in the Series consoles versions. This means that when the frame rate does skip a few frames the game dives to 30 fps. The triple buffer found on Series consoles would've been a better choice.

- Series X is 1440p too but some scenes that show performance dips on PS5 fail to hit the frame rate at all on Series X. The prerendered cutscenes are capped at 30 fps instead of the 60 fps of PS5 version, and suffer from frame pacing issues.

- Series S is 1080p, as you would expect, but performance is pretty bad, and the cutscenes are capped to 30 fps too.

-

Last edited:

AnotherOne

GIF by iHeartRadio

another one.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Has anyone played this that has played the originals(I mean the classics)? Curious how it holds up, if its as hard and creative or should I just pass. Had it on my wishlist forever.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I expected a higher resolution on Xbox Series X like what happened with The Touryst & The Medium when they was released months later on PS5.
Maybe that was just a bullshit excuse thrown by some people?Or maybe I missed the sarcasm in your post...Or both.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No Sarcasm I been waiting for this video to see if they would use a higher resolution like they did when releasing games later on PS5.
Nope, it's almost as if devs tried to use as much of the power in this consoles and within their budget to make the games looking as good as possible.And that some engine will work better on one and other on the other...While keeping in mind that the differences are negligible anyway.But that is a hard fact that no console warrior seem capable to deal with.(Just to be clear I don't think you are a console warrior, in case it was ambiguous in my phrasing)

Shmunter

Has anyone played this that has played the originals(I mean the classics)? Curious how it holds up, if its as hard and creative or should I just pass. Had it on my wishlist forever.
I found it frustratingly hard in parts and gave up. Shame, came in with full commitment to finish it

YCoCg

This game is such an oddity (heh) in how much work has been put into it but how mediocre some of the results are, both PS5 and Series X should be capable of rendering more than 1440p for this game, the Unity stutter should've been addressed years ago, etc.

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like a good experience on PS5.

Framerate is good and the transition from 60-30-60 fps in games is worst than a fully constant lower fps… I should have 30fps fixed than these weird transitions (not first game to have that issue btw).

Last edited:
What a waste! This game looked too soft at 1440p on next gen consoles with its AA solution and low res textures. To call this "enhanced edition" and not boost the resolution is a joke!

Rivet

Another one for PS5 with better framerate and 60 fps cutscenes vs stuttering 30 fps cutscenes on Series X. It's a clear trend at this point.

For what it's worth, Matrix runs better on PS5 too (see analistadebits video or the other comparison video already out).

Last edited:

Vognerful

Another one for PS5 with better framerate and 60 fps cutscenes vs stuttering 30 fps cutscenes on Series X. It's a clear trend at this point.

For what it's worth, Matrix runs better on PS5 too (see analistadebits video or the other comparison video already out).
I guess we have our Sony Riky counterpart.

It amazes me that we are interested to know how we are all wanting to know who won but don't care to listen to DF as they spent most of the video complaining about the both performances and inexcusable stutters, performance targets and other issue.

Unfortunately, the small developer team does not seem to be experienced enough to tackle all these issues or low on resources. I mean even after what? 7 months? and they did not remove the stutters from PS5. What optimization would you expect on Xbox series?

Pagusas

Elden Member
how does this game series still exist? I've never met a single person who has actually played/enjoyed/continued with these games sense the very first playstation.

ethomaz

Banned
how does this game series still exist? I've never met a single person who has actually played/enjoyed/continued with these games sense the very first playstation.
Because the game sells way more that what it needs to fund a sequel.
In 2014 they said if the game sell 500k units at $30 it was enough to fund a future sequel and Oddworld games sells around 1 million copies.

So they continue making games.

Last edited:

Kerotan

"- Series S is 1080p, as you would expect, but performance is pretty bad, and the cutscenes are capped to 30 fps too."

Where's this console going to be in 4 years time.

- PS5 is 1440p.

ps5-8k-feature-on-box-2-1024x953.png

- Series X is 1440p

av45threm7m51.jpg

another one...

The 8K marketing for both is misleading in my opinion. However with the PS5 it at least has one title that renders internally at 8K however the console only outputs it as 4K. Still i wouldn't use that to brag about it being an 8K capable system since those cases will be extremely rare on both platforms.

onQ123

Didn't they lower some settings on the Medium to hit the higher res?

When the game released on Xbox Series X it also didn't have raytracing so I don't think the higher resolution came from not having raytracing they probably just decided that it wasn't worth the effort.

DaGwaphics

When the game released on Xbox Series X it also didn't have raytracing so I don't think the higher resolution came from not having raytracing they probably just decided that it wasn't worth the effort.

I think the RT was on XSX from the beginning. Time stamped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom