• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: PlayStation Plus PS1/PS2/PSP Classic Games Emulators Tested - And They're Not Good Enough

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Part of PlayStation Plus' revamp is the inclusion of PS1, PS2 and PSP titles running under emulation on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. So how good are the emulators, what extra features do you get, and what is the score with the inclusion of compromised 50Hz PAL versions? We gained access to the Asian PSN where the service has now fully launched - and John Linneman has this report.

Last edited:

adamsapple

- Hosted by John. Using the PS Asia lineup for testing.

- PS1:

- PS1 Emulator is different than PS Classics w/ new features and higher resolution rendering compared to PS Classics version.
- Incorrect frame pacing amplified to the max in some PAL game cut-scenes.
- Inside the game, PAL versions run at 25 FPS (Ape Escape shown). 17% slower than their NTSC counter parts. 60 FPS games run at 50 FPS on Pal.

Note: Sony has put out updates for some of the games to 'improve' performance, but it does not make up for low refresh, it just adds interpolated frames in between frames.

- DF thinks Nintendo's solution for allowing both NTSC and Pal downloads is best.
- Some games which run at 60hz seem to run as you would expect (Tekken 2, Toy Story).

- PS1 emulator runs at 1920x1440p
- Higher resolution exacerbates (highlights more) the texture wobbling issue.
- John is not a fan of PS1 games at high resolution unless perspective correction on textures is applied (like the emulator Duck Station)

- PS1 Filters
- "Default" "Retro Classic" "Modern"
- Main difference between Default and Modern is that Modern increases contrast to make the image darker
- CRT filter is not accurate in John's testing. It also doesn't work with all games.

- PS1 Aspect Ratio
- 1 to 1 and square pixel options don't match the PS1 pixel grid
- In DF testing there was no way to get proper evenly squared pixels on PS5
- Same issue exists on both Pal and NTSC games.
- "None of the scaling options are properly implemented"
- Other options barely touched on, but nothing note worthy.

- The emulator on PS4 and PS5 is identical except for the controller layout.

------------------------------------------------------------

- PSP Emulation
- 3D Boosted to 1080p but 2D just gets basic upscaling without any enhancement.
- Pixel scaling modes don't make sense here as PSP never had scanlines or a square rendering mode.

------------------------------------------------------------

- PS2 Emulation
- Jak games tested.
- IQ is the same as PS2 classics on PS4
- DF is not clear if any changes were made to PS2 emulator
- Performance is worse on PS5 emulator compared to native PS2. Jak menu tested which runs at half the frame rate.
- PS2 emulator does *NOT* offer the rewind feature that PS1 and PSP has.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Is it good enough for non nerd guy who doesn't care about performance?
Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
All I really wanted was widescreen and increased resolution but i kind of expected sony to do the bare minimum and then improve it over time.

kingfey

Banned
To drones with shit taste that swallow anything their corporation gifts them for an expensive subscription price? Sure.
I got limits like gta anniversary, or cyberpunk2077. Other than that, I don't care about flawless fps, unless it affects my gameplay.

kingfey

Banned
A product functioning is not for nerds or needing to "care" extra hard. Its something a non stupid person would expect when paying for something
You guys talk about 4k, max fps, little tiny fps drop.
So I thought, it might not get what you guys expected.

adamsapple

Is it good enough for non nerd guy who doesn't care about performance?

If you have a half decent laptop/computer from the last 12 years, you're probably better off with Duckstation for PS1 games.

PPSSPP is also extremely light weight on resources.

PCSX2 requires a little more grunt but it should work in almost all cases better than the emulator we have here.

Killer8

Btw Microsoft, I would be happy to pay for a service that provided more OG Xbox games through backwards compatibility than what you have provided us with.
Maybe those license holders wouldn't be so reluctant if they had a larger monthly revenue stream coming in.
63 games out of a library of 1000 just isn't good enough.

I'd liked to have seen more OG Xbox games, but really when you delve into it, there probably isn't much more worth bringing over. Of the exclusive/significant games, it's mostly licensed properties and car games.

Jet Set Radio Future and the Burnout series are the only ones I can say I really missed. Most other things in my collection which didn't make the cut were likely mired in licensing hell:

Project Gotham Series (car licenses)
Jet Set Radio Future (music licensing, if the JSR HD release was anything to go by)
James Bond games (the licensing of Bond only very recently appears to have gotten more feasible)
Rallisport Challenge (car licenses)
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (who even owns the rights to Tenchu at this point?)
The Thing (movie licensing most likely)
Dead or Alive Xtreme (no one but perverts care)
The Warriors (R* were probably keen to do it, but again, movie licensing)

Fatal Frame games are others I would've liked to have seen, but Koei Tecmo said they are now considering true remasters of those.

DaGwaphics

That's too bad about the issues with playback speed. I'm looking forward to giving Intelligent Qube a go on the PS4. Maybe over time they will get better at getting these working.

Hoping to see some more of my old favorites go on there. Where is 2Extreme at?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Going by the summary, so is Digital Foundry complaining that the resolution of the games is too high?

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

No, the wobbling stands out the higher the resolution unless you use perspective correction.

Which this emulator doesn't.

I saw the thread title and knew exactly who it was making the thread.

Bill Murray Drink GIF

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'd liked to have seen more OG Xbox games, but really when you delve into it, there probably isn't much more worth bringing over. Of the exclusive/significant games, it's mostly licensed properties and car games.

Jet Set Radio Future and the Burnout series are the only ones I can say I really missed. Most other things in my collection which didn't make the cut were likely mired in licensing hell:

Jet Set Radio Future (music licensing, if the JSR HD release was anything to go by)
James Bond games (the licensing of Bond only very recently appears to have gotten more feasible)

Fatal Frame games are others I would've liked to have seen, but Koei Tecmo said they are now considering true remasters of those.

Silent Hill games would be great too. I love most of your list. PGR2 and RSC/2 are some of my favorite racing games ever. PGR2 having a radio station dedicated to your ripped MP3s would such an amazing feature. But year, licensing.

The Warriors is available on PSN (PS2 on PS4 game).

Last edited:

adamsapple

I discovered not too long ago that the number of OG Xbox games you can run on Series consoles is basically nothing compared to how many the 360 could run.

Would be be a licensing issue if they just bring the same OG Xbox emulator from 360 to the new consoles, instead of creating new packages ?

Drew1440

All I really wanted was widescreen and increased resolution but i kind of expected sony to do the bare minimum and then improve it over time.

Going by the summary, so is Digital Foundry complaining that the resolution of the games is too high?

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF
With PSone games, the higher resolution you use, the more aggressive polygon jiggling becomes. Some emulators like Duckstation and BeetlePSX get round this by increasing the 3D accuracy and offering perspective correction which mitigates or eliminates the issue entirely, but this is considered as a hack and some games break when you enable this effect.

There's other issues, texture filing cannot be enabled without making the HUD display blurry, since the PS1 rendered these as 3d polygons and the emulator cannot differentiate between the two.

Agent X

Good video. It's sad to see some of these flaws, but it is good that Digital Foundry has pointed them out, while it's still early in the ballgame. As John said, these issues are not unsalvageable. Let's hope that Sony takes this advice to heart, and makes these improvements quickly.

Good, I think this noise would be heard and expecting a future update in the near future.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Really shouldn't be this hard. I'd have given them the benefit of the doubt - after all, Xbox backwards compatibility only got to where it is now by adding more titles and bells and whistles over time. But given that these issues were glaringly obvious, you'd have thought they'd make at least some attempt to remedy them for the launch of their shiny new service.

Reactions: Isa

intbal

No, that's what happens when you delve into it.
There are dozens of games from the OG Xbox that I want added to BC with enhancements.

Top Bottom