• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: PlayStation Plus PS1/PS2/PSP Classic Games Emulators Tested - And They're Not Good Enough

Digital Foundry is a beloved/respected technical expert
Episode 17 Judge GIF by The Simpsons

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm struggling to see the point of it as well, "Modern" is just a gamma shift/contrast shift which, ...why? Really do hope it's a placeholder and they take inspiration from Emulators to go all out for that setting. And improve the CRT shader too, throw in some CRT Glow like scanlines such as "hylian-glow" which has a good impact on the image for older titles.
It might had been done to give gamers an impression there were more improvements to the game than a resolution boost - assuming the gamma shift convinces gamers it looks better than the original palette.

LucasBR

I hope Sony address these problems, I won't play any of these so called classic games but it's very frustrating for those who want to play them, really, I was expecting something much better.

Pallas

Gold Member
Thanks for putting it all in text OP, I’ll watch the video when I get a chance. Personally I was kind of hyped for this, but it’s been deflated a bit. Depending on the catalog, and hopes that some stuff gets sorted I’ll probably at least try the highest tier for a month.

But honestly, it’s still a disappointment, considering you basically have to pay to use the emulation. I hope Sony puts more effort into this down the road like they should have when launching this. It’s not like they are new to backward compatibility, they used to be the kings of it.

Lmao

OP just couldnt wait to make this thread.

I saw the thread title and knew exactly who it was making the thread.
Ya’ll should of done one then, instead of whining because a Xbox fan did one. It’s not like he’s outright lying about this. He does good work with these DF threads.

Elios83

I think things will be improved over the time and there are some signs that they are listening (for example they are adding frame interpolation in 50Hz games) but in general expecting the level of options and performance that can be found on PC is not realistic.
The idea here is to have these games playable with a few bells and whistles.
It's emulated stuff, they won't rework manually every game to get the best possible results.
People who are looking for things like perfect frame rate, should probably stick to PC.

Last edited:

baphomet

With the smallest bit of effort they could have made this something very cool, and got a ton of good will.

Not that I would ever pay for any of the extras tiers, but this is actual garbage.

Pallas

Gold Member
If he didn’t post it, who would have? You? Negative or positive news, rather it’s Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo deserves our attention.

Praise them when they deserve it in hopes they do more positive stuff, criticized them when they are failing to persuade them to try better and change direction. They want our money after all.

No brand warrior does a thread going against their own plastic box.

I get that, and it’s kind of sad but if I’m not mistaken OP has posted DF threads where they were PS > Xbox before. I could be wrong though.

RAIDEN1

I think things will be improved over the time and there are some signs that they are listening (for example they are adding frame interpolation in 50Hz games) but in general expecting the level of options and performance that can be find on PC is not realistic.
The idea here is to have these games playable with a few bells and whistles.
It's emulated stuff, they won't rework manually every game to get the best possible results.
People who are looking for things like perfect frame rate, should probably stick to PC.
Over time? What are they dragging their heels about? Not as if the technology hasn't matured enough....one thing is for sure, Sony has form on this with their mediocre playstation classic....and their half-baked attempts at backward compatibility on PS4, yet we all know it is in the backward compatiability where some games haven't not been bettered to this day- Ridge Racer, Panzer Dragoon, Metal Gear, Burnout....Top Spin Tennis 4....

ACESHIGH

Banned
"Raspberry Pi3 Does"
"You can't do this on Playstation"
"Pentium 2 Does"

They have all that legacy and dont have a clue what to do with it. Folks with a $2k a month patreon have developed a ps3 emulator in their free time.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And look at the ones concerned. All the posters who long ago made it clear thry had no interest in PlayStation anyway.
Coming from a guy with no interest in Xbox, but yesterday posted this sales war beauty in the Xbox streaming thread.
When they start selling these pucks, who wants to bet they call them Xbox Series Something, count them as Xbox Series console sales and suddenly decide to start sharing console sales data again?

Coming from a guy with no interest in Xbox, but yesterday posted this sales war beauty in the Xbox streaming thread.
I have plenty of interest in Xbox. I've had every Xbox console day one 1 including Series X. I have GamePass and if you follow the what game are you currently playing thread, you'll see I play Xbox often. My last game was Rogue Legacy 2.

And also, feel free bookmark that quote and see if I'm not right.

freefornow

Gold Member
You mean Jim Ryan? Yes, it is actually good enough by his standards.
FFS! Now my morning coffee has been sprayed over my keyboard. There's my days activities taken care of.

Hopefully Sony can sort this out. Their back catalougue of Playstation 1/2/PSP deserve it. Such a big part of my "gaming" life.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I find it pretty suspect that people are so hung up on performance on games this old!

Just suggests to me its less about nostalgia than some sort of weird dick-measuring thing!
PS1 emulation is by far the least interesting thing of the new PS+ and yet it's the most talked about feature from a certain ratbase 🙄

They know it wouldn't look good if they start comparing the PS4/PS5 games so they stick to complaining about PS1 shit instead. They all worried 🤭

Agent X

It feels like this entire thing was rushed out. Should've let it cook for a while.

Part of me wants to say, "They've had 8½ years to figure this out." But yeah, there are some aspects that look rushed, or like they didn't research how other emulators handle some of these technical issues.

I find it pretty suspect that people are so hung up on performance on games this old!

Why shouldn't we be concerned about performance on such "old" games?

We're talking about Sony, emulating an old system that was also developed by Sony, and with many issues most noticeably affecting games that were developed/published by Sony. We should expect better.

To be fair, Sony is doing some really cool things with their emulation solution, especially with regard to added benefits like save states (with six slots per game) and rewinding your gameplay. Those features in particular should greatly add to the enjoyability of the games. We just want to see the technical stuff measure up, also.

Sony did great work with PS1 emulation on Vita, which had several image scaling options, and the ability to remap controls to take advantage of the dual analog sticks, touch screen, and rear touch pad. These features could be customized differently for each individual game. That was a world-class emulator.

If Sony were to offer a similar level of customization on PS4/PS5, and fix some of the weird scaling/rendering issues, then that would surely garner lot of praise. Their world-class games deserve world-class treatment.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS1 emulation is by far the least interesting thing of the new PS+ and yet it's the most talked about feature from a certain ratbase 🙄

They know it wouldn't look good if they start comparing the PS4/PS5 games so they stick to complaining about PS1 shit instead. They all worried 🤭
Pretty hard to miss the news lately about backtracking on forcing retroactive PS+ sub payments, PS3 DLC doesn't work on the new service, trials are only for a handful of select games at 2-5 hours each.

And just like the original PS Now, PS3 games and PC access are still streaming only. The entire set of premium bonus features are terrible.

Last edited:

Fbh

Just suggests to me its less about nostalgia than some sort of weird dick-measuring thing!

Why would the age of the game invalidate the fact that playing games at 25fps and 17% slower than their original speed feels like crap? Or that's it's disappointing that games tied to a $120/year subscription run worse than on their decades old original hardware?

...right retro games are just throwaway trash that no one cares about .....that's why they have an entire subscription tier dedicated to them (which also happens to be most expensive one).

Katajx

Gold Member
And look at the ones concerned. All the posters who long ago made it clear thry had no interest in PlayStation anyway.
Concern trolling is annoying, but I don't think that's what this is. You keep claiming some sort of bias, but its just as simple as Sony could and should do better.

I've been playing a lot of the Castlevania Collections on my PS5 lately and its crazy how good some of the older NES games in the Anniversary Collection compared to Rondo of Blood/SOTN from the Requiem Collection.

That's due to the scanlines and display options offered in the emulation. Castlevania 1-3 look better to me, even though Rondo and SOTN clearly have better quality art and effects. We've gotten more options on the PS5/Series consoles to choose between performance or resolution mode.

That's a win for all of us, and it would be the same for better support for emulation.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Pretty hard to miss the news lately about backtracking on forcing retroactive PS+ sub payments, PS3 DLC doesn't work on the new service, trials are only for a handful of select games at 2-5 hours each.

And just like the original PS Now, PS3 games and PC access are still streaming only. The entire set of premium bonus features are terrible.
Why do you care? It's not like you were going to subscribe 🤣

You only had a PS2 and yet you still keep track of every little random fact about PS so you can argue about it all day.

When I see your username in PS threads I know right away what kind of thread it will be 🙄

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why would the age of the game invalidate the fact that playing games at 25fps and 17% slower than their original speed feels like crap? Or that's it's disappointing that games tied to a $120/year subscription run worse than on their decades old original hardware?

They are running at their original speeds though! PAL versions always ran at 50fps.

Gotta love the way people are minimizing the value of multi-language support too. Like, seriously, if you're a global business addressing an international audience kinda matters!

Also 80% of the $120 a year subscription is paying for a 400+ PS4/PS5 titles, and online functionality.

The REAL value of this element is $20 a YEAR. And that is bolstered by the old PSNow content, timed demo's and stuff.

...right retro games are just throwaway trash that no one cares about .....that's why they have an entire subscription tier dedicated to them (which also happens to be most expensive one).

Sorry but this argument is disingenuous in the extreme. As noted above its a part of the offering, not the totality.

If you cared about retro games you'd be using actual Retro hardware and software, that's actual preservation. If you actually cared about the software from a nostalgia perspective you'd want the experience replicated accurately down to the original discs and their boxes.
Its not like these are ancient relics either! Getting hold of a working PS1 or PS2 is not hard, and neither is getting the software for it. You are not being denied anything.

See, this is the thing that irks me the most about all this is the sense that its all part of a childish numbers game where its all about how many titles there are and how high the frame-rate is. It feels more about bragging rights than anything else.

Above all else it shows some seriously wooly thinking. I mean, here's the reality: Sony already have invested in BC product, all the stuff that's been on PSNow for the last 8 years for example. Do you really expect them to bin all that work? Do you expect them to miraculously have a hundred newly emulated titles ready for day #1?

Do you not think there are good reasons why the number of OG Xbox titles on Gamepass are so few compared to the number of 360 titles? Bear in mind PS1 titles are from a generation even further removed... The further back you go, the greater the likelihood that there are complications both technically and commercially.

Sorry it feels so fake and empty-headed to whinge about this stuff.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They are running at their original speeds though! PAL versions always ran at 50fps.
That's fine for old time PAL users who love 50 fps. But what about NTSC users (the bulk of gamers) who played at smoother 60 fps?

Also, the colours changed too. The visuals got darker than the original colour pallete.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That's fine for old time PAL users who love 50 fps. But what about NTSC users (the bulk of gamers) who played at smoother 60 fps?

Also, the colours changed too. The visuals got darker than the original colour pallete.

You could just as easily argue the converse, that people who played some of these games back in the day in a PAL environment are facing a weirdly sped-up and brightened version of the game they remembered. And no longer localized either if they opted for NTSC/J.

Either way, if you're that desperate for fidelity, its not that big of an ask to invest in alternative solutions. Because you have to accept that its entirely possible that Sony are pitching this squarely at a broad, casual audience who are mostly going to download these titles for a quick jolt of nostalgia between playing more recent fare.

People need to accept that emulation is pretty niche. Its technically possible to remaster or at least repackage almost anything, that it doesn't happen that often should offer some insight into its perceived value as a business opportunity.

mrabott

I will never understand why some people care so much about classic games.
I had fun at the time with the Psone. I didn't have the PS2 and I buy a new playstation with every new iteration.
With the amount of new games released, I can't see myself playing the old games again.
Nowadays everything emulates Psone. Fuck, even Ps2 I can emulate on my smartphone. When I'm at home playing I want the current games, not the ones from the past.

I had fun at the time with the Psone. I didn't have the PS2 and I buy a new playstation with every new iteration.
With the amount of new games released, I can't see myself playing the old games again.
Nowadays everything emulates Psone. Fuck, even Ps2 I can emulate on my smartphone. When I'm at home playing I want the current games, not the ones from the past.
why would ppl want to watch old movies......theres plenty of new ones they can watch.

why the hell would u listen to an old album. There's new albums out every week

thats how that sounds

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

You don't have to care, but Sony cares enough to have a higher paying tier on their subscription service.

50fps output at 60hz... so stupid.

They "fixed" it in some games, but the fix is just adding interpolated frames in between without changing the refresh rate.

On paper it seems like an easy fix. I don't know why they can't just offer both versions for people who want it.

hinch7

PS1 emulation has been perfect for years. Its disappointing they couldn't bump it up to 4K. Even the Series S manages it on Retroarch.

Hopefully they'll add regional releases as the PAL releases look real rough.

The other emulation (PSP/PS2) looks like a big afterthought, with not so much effort. Meh, I'd play them with my Premium sub but I expected better, honestly.

Having played them myself, the complaints are definitely overblown. Is it perfect? Nope. No emulator is at the beginning. It takes years of updates to get them good for every title. Even then, there are still errors in certain games. Still, these games are 100% playable and definitely look better with the higher resolutions.

And some people may say that Sony has already been emulating PS1 before, so they should be perfect, now. That's not exactly accurate. Has Sony emulated PS1 on PS3 and PSP? Yea. But have they had any substantial upgrades to the games? Hell no. They look exactly like they did on the PS1. Horrible jaggies and all. This is the first time Sony is trying to actually improve the visuals on these games. I look forward to the improvements and future games on the service. Hoping they get both Mega Man Legend games on there.

Needlecrash

What a shame. I would imagine Sony would make more of an effort on this considering the changing of sub tiers or something. Yet, it's the same story. Shit effort.

Helghan

When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much. That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this? - Jim Ryan (2015)
This should tell you enough

Brofist

There's a 10 year old out their that can't understand why anyone would play anything other than Fortnite. Would you agree with that take? It's almost as if people have different tastes.

Not directed at you, but why is it always Sony fans that don't care for the older games? I thought all PS games were instant classics, but you guys are the first to ditch them a year later.

ManaByte

Gold Member
A great game is great regardless of when it was released.

TLZ

Banned
Like classic movies or shows. There are some that I can watch over and over again. They're timeless.

Top Bottom