• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] PlayStation VR 2 Spec Analysis + Horizon Call of the Mountain Reaction

3liteDragon

PSVR2 has now been officially confirmed and a full specs sheet has been revealed. Join Rich Leadbetter, John Linneman and Alex Battaglia for their reactions to the excellent specification, thoughts on the Horizon Call of the Mountain tease plus expectations for the software to come.
Article:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
dj khaled GIF

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Pretty silly to dismiss gaming on Quest while glossing over the reasoning with the anti-metaverse argument when its own library is largely games and even Facebook push deep gaming experiences with deals like RE4VR, even if they also go after the casual crowd with fitness and such crap.

There's no reason to fear the metaverse because it's not happening, no corp will provide a digital universe as compelling as what you see in fiction for everyone to join, the metaverse will just be (or already is) collectively everything you do digitally in separate programs, games, apps, XR etc.

Quest is also a PC VR device making games like Alyx fully playable, dawgs. Also these are the guys hyping up Switch for delivering modern games in sub par ways, now they suddenly don't see the potential mobile soc hold for the future of gaming in every category, whether in or out of VR?

But sure, high end VR games like how Hitman 3 will soon be on PC, Alyx, hopefully this Horizon thing and more are great. Which doesn't make some awesome low-fi indie VR games any less fun, just as people like playing more than the next AAA hit outside VR. Other than that, nothing new.

Edit: sorry for triggering you ParaSeoul & ethomaz (& your alt phaedrus with 0 posts), it's just facts, that's why you don't argue against any of it and go on tangents about popular thing x you dislike or thing y not being as popular as you like, as if any of it matters vs something unreleased you could be arguing against with the same bs as it won't sell gazillions in a month or only do core games. Nobody insulted your Sony, PSVR2 will be great for those who scalp a PS5, it would be ace if it also worked on PC/they ported its games to PC, but they aren't the be all end all & for VR are a gen lttp no matter how you hard you push that next gen VR starts when Sony says so, everyone has to keep up at the same time, not after, not before either as Sony's is good enough until they decide it's time to bring a successor, rendering everything else obsolete, or superfluous, accordingly 🤡
The specs are incredibly shit on the Quest. It was clearly not designed with gaming in mind, nor was the price, which is why it's selling so well.

It's nice to see a dedicated device for VR that's for consumers. PC VR has so much overhead that it ostracizes a lot of the people that may be into it. Need a really expensive desktop to run it. But with a PS5 which if you can get it, can be as low as $400. Definitely more consumer friendly - having said that we do not know the price of the headset yet. I'm expecting $500-$600 minimum for the specs. Also no VR headsets have vibration motors in the headset, far as I've seen?
Er, Quest 2 got the best available VR mobile soc. If people didn't get it for games, if Facebook didn't see use in gaming, there'd be 0 reason to make a Quest 2 that only does games better yet sells faster. Of course it was designed for it, that's most of its content and why Touch controllers are so copied. By the time anything consumer based outside gaming takes off for VR, Quest 2 will already be obsolete and have served its purpose, via gaming which is what it mostly does. Just as RE4VR was pushed hard and broke VR sales records but won't be what gets casual VR outside games to take off. Oh yeah, PC gaming is expensive and doesn't have comfy couches, good points for 2022 by an out of touch casual nooblet. Even after Steam's constant growth despite chip shortages and PS5-like scalper prices for components you think nobody takes PC gaming seriously so PC VR will "suffer" the same fate (so, grow to eclipse every VR platform and get most VR games once the medium is as accepted as the flat gaming PC already reigns supreme in, like Alyx as a demanding VR game is already among the top sellers next to Beat Saber, casual Quest hype be damned) 🤡

Make a clown emoji all you want, the specs still suck for gaming. Cope your purchase if you want. I don't think it's worth it all.
I don't have any Quest, I've been trashing its unfair hype and speaking in favor of high end PC and console VR long before Sony told you fanbots it's time to care, maybe you missed it alongside all other facts/reality, but while you folks have been port begging Alyx for PSVR2, Quest (and 2) owners have been enjoying it for 2 years without any begging, as long as it's connected to a main (PC) gaming system, exactly as required for the PSVR2 (and any PC VR kit, but also, wirelessly to boot), oh so unfit for games! With your (lack of) logic one could say PSVR2 itself has no "specs" as you keep calling the internal systems given it can't play anything without a PS5. You're coping your possible future purchase nobody even said anything against, before knowing its contemporary competitors, rationalizing it with HMD vibrators & comparisons to years old stuff. Go port beg RE4VR 🤡

Last edited:

Romulus

Pretty silly to dismiss gaming on Quest while glossing over the reasoning with the anti-metaverse argument when its own library is largely games and even Facebook push deep gaming experiences with deals like RE4VR, even if they also go after the casual crowd with fitness and such crap.

There's no reason to fear the metaverse because it's not happening, no corp will provide a digital universe as compelling as what you see in fiction for everyone to join, the metaverse will just be (or already is) collectively everything you do digitally in separate programs, games, apps, XR etc.

Quest is also a PC VR device making games like Alyx fully playable, dawgs. Also these are the guys hyping up Switch for delivering modern games in sub par ways, now they suddenly don't see the potential mobile soc hold for the future of gaming in every category, whether in or out of VR?

But sure, high end VR games like how Hitman 3 will soon be on PC, Alyx, hopefully this Horizon thing and more are great. Which doesn't make some awesome low-fi indie VR games any less fun, just as people like playing more than the next AAA hit outside VR. Other than that, nothing new.

I don't like to admit this is spot on.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
RIch calls Quest 2's success "part of the problem with VR development" then conveniently glosses over the fact it offers wireless 120Hz gaming with high-end PCs since last year with Air Link and Virtual Desktop. Quest 2 is both standalone and high-end PC experience.

Rich is inferring that it's Quest 2's success that's limiting "high-end" VR experience because devs are targeting it's mobile hardware. That's a foolish take. The install base that can justify the development cost traditionally put towards massive AAA titles like RDR2 just isn't there for VR, or rather hasn't been until the Quest 2.

Contrary to what Rich stated Quest 2 is actually growing PCVR, accounting for 35% of headsets being used on Steam by the end of it's first year. It's plain to see that Quest 2 is a gateway to PCVR. The more people that buy a Quest 2, the more people that will be playing PCVR.

And talking about PSVR2 ushering in new "high-end" VR experience while port-begging HL Alyx was weird, too. Alyx, FS2020, RE2 VR...all already being played on high-end Quest 2 PCVR in the present.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
RIch calls Quest 2's success "part of the problem with VR development" then conveniently glosses over the fact it offers wireless 120Hz gaming with high-end PCs since last year with Air Link and Virtual Desktop. Quest 2 is both standalone and high-end PC experience.

Rich is inferring that it's Quest 2's success that's limiting "high-end" VR experience because devs are targeting it's mobile hardware. That's a foolish take. The install base that can justify the development cost traditionally put towards massive AAA titles like RDR2 just isn't there for VR, or rather hasn't been until the Quest 2.

Contrary to what Rich stated Quest 2 is actually growing PCVR, accounting for 35% of headsets being used on Steam by the end of it's first year. It's plain to see that Quest 2 is a gateway to PCVR. The more people that buy a Quest 2, the more people that will be playing PCVR.

And talking about PSVR2 ushering in new "high-end" VR experience while port-begging HL Alyx was weird, too. Alyx, FS2020, RE2 VR...all already being played on high-end Quest 2 PCVR in the present.

The vast majority of Quest owners don't use it as a PC headset though. And 35% means nothing if it's 35% of a really small number. Which it is, compared to how many people use their Quest exclusively as a standalone device. VR today is primarily native Quest experiences (the Quest versions of most if not all VR games sell MUCH better than the PC versions), so I would say he's correct that this does hold back VR game development in general.

(I love my Quest 2 and I'm currently having an absolute blast with RE4VR, but I'm also fully aware it will never natively run anything even approaching Alyx.)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Quest 2 is a all-in-one device... their own marketing let that clear.
Being an all-in-one device have advantages and disadvantages and I can see and agree where DF is reaching.

Quest 2 open VR to many markets... game mobile VR, game PC VR, non-gaming VR theaters, non-gaming Sport/Fitness, non-gaming social, non-gaming education VR, etc etc etc.
But it indeed do nothing to fix the issues with gaming PC VR market, in fact it do open more paths to PC VR gaming development than help.

It too fail with the quality of PC VR games... Air Link doesn't reach the quality PC VR games needs and even plugged via USB3 Type C it can't reach the quality of others high-end PC VR devices like for example Valve Index. So it did help VR to find more markets but at the same time put more mess in high-end gaming PC VR market.

Sony want to make PSVR2 the high-end gaming VR device for PS5... that can be see as the Valve Index for PC.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
And 35% means nothing if it's 35% of a really small number. Which it is, compared to how many people use their Quest exclusively as a standalone device. VR today is primarily native Quest experiences (the Quest versions of most if not all VR games sell MUCH better than the PC versions), so I would say he's correct that this does hold back VR game development in general.

(I love my Quest 2 and I'm currently having an absolute blast with RE4VR, but I'm also fully aware it will never natively run anything even approaching Alyx.)
So, in order to damage control you've disqualified all of PCVR as a "really small number", without stating the number. While ignoring that the market for PSVR2 is currently zero, and ignoring that Quest 2 will continue to grow the PCVR market.

Rich is calling the solution to the problem, "the problem". It's nonsense.

Quest 2 is a all-in-one device... their own marketing let that clear.
Being an all-in-one device have advantages and disadvantages and I can see and agree where DF is reaching.

Quest 2 open VR to many markets... game mobile VR, non-gaming VR theaters, non-gaming Sport/Fitness, non-gaming social, etc etc etc.
But it indeed do nothing to fix the issues with gaming PC VR market, in fact it do open more paths to PC VR gaming development than help.

It too fail with the quality of PC VR games... Air Link doesn't reach the quality PC VR games needs and even plugged via USB3 Type C it can't reach the quality of others high-end PC VR devices like for example Valve Index. So it did help VR to find more markets but at the same time put more mess in high-end gaming PC VR market.

Sony want to make PSVR2 the high-end gaming VR device for PS5... that can be see as the Valve Index for PC.

My workplace got around £1 million in funding for educational VR content. Think they're going with the meta quest too.

Alexios

So, in order to damage control you've disqualified all of PCVR as a "really small number", without stating the number. While ignoring that the market for PSVR2 is currently zero, and ignoring that Quest 2 will continue to grow the PCVR market.

Not to mention there could be a Quest 3 + other company AIO + new PCVR competitors by the time PSVR2 launches or soon after, we're talking bleeding edge gaming here, not obsolete tech that is no longer improved & is what it is forever.

Oh but it's a small percentage of Quest users that use it for PCVR so that's, somehow, bad, as if PSVR2 is somehow so sure to outsell everything any time soon and then and only then will we usher in the era of high end VR gaming, lol.

We don't have set numbers but going by user reviews games like Alyx and Boneworks (and casual games like Beat Saber) for PC sell as good as any. Others don't, that's competition with great flat games for you (for PSVR2 too).

There's also the matter of the VR media favoring Facebook/Sony/big publishers like good little shills, PCVR (and great indies) barely gets coverage or goes without articles about being dead because Quest port x sold 10x.

Like Virtual Desktop which isn't even needed is in demand on Quest because PCVR sucks. Even After the Fall which they couldn't ignore exists for PC as a well rated new game Facebook hasn't used its PR prowess to pimp to every Quest casual seems to sell equally well on PC (by user reviews).

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Sony waited a bit too long, to be honest. I've had a PS5 since its first holiday season, and would have probably jumped on a VR solution for it. But I've waited forever to get into VR gaming, so we went ahead and picked up the Quest 2 recently.

And the thing is, the Quest 2 is just more flexible, because I'm playing Alyx right now along with a ton of different PC / Steam experiences. I no longer can see any way to justify buying the PS5's headset when it arrives. It's too many devices at this point, and a bit too late. If it supported Steam etc out of the box, that might make a difference, but it's unlikely.

Also, beyond the official stores, there is an endless stream of excellent content like 90's Bedroom Simulator on the PC, which I've been using to play NES Castlevania games with a fantastic tube-TV atmosphere of a vintage bedroom. So good.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Oh but it's a small percentage of Quest users that use it for PC VR so that's bad, like that makes it shit, as if PSVR2 is so sure to outsell everything any time soon and then and only then will we usher in the era of high end VR gaming, lol.
Don't worry, boys! Rich says Sony is here to save high-end VR from that dirty ol' Quest 2 and tiny user base PCVR. Just need a PS5 and 20ft cord running through the middle of your living room. 🤡

ethomaz

Banned
Sony waited a bit too long, to be honest. I've had a PS5 since its first holiday season, and would have probably jumped on a VR solution for it. But I've waited forever to get into VR gaming, so we went ahead and picked up the Quest 2 recently.

And the thing is, the Quest 2 is just more flexible, because I'm playing Alyx right now along with a ton of different PC / Steam experiences. I no longer can see any way to justify buying the PS5's headset when it arrives. It's too many devices at this point, and a bit too late. If it supported Steam etc out of the box, that might make a difference, but it's unlikely.

Also, beyond the official stores, there is an endless stream of excellent content like 90's Bedroom Simulator on the PC, which I've been using to play NES Castlevania games with a fantastic tube-TV atmosphere of a vintage bedroom. So good.
Content is always key.
It is indeed too many devices.
But if only one has the content you want to play then you will end buying it too.
Plus there are a log of gamers that only do have the PS5 and no PC to use others PC VR devices.

I hope Sony really build a killer exclusive VR line-up... more = better.

Last edited:
John makes a good point, that after Half-Life Alyx, high-end experiences have sort of fizzled out, and Sony is certainly positioned to reverse that trend with the skills, library, and vision that they as a company (development studios) bring to the table. I'd say Microsoft will soon follow suit (Hopefully in the form of 3P HMD support), if you can't set the trend, you best be able to keep up with the said trend.

SLB1904

Banned
John makes a good point, that after Half-Life Alyx, high-end experiences have sort of fizzled out, and Sony is certainly positioned to reverse that trend with the skills, library, and vision that they as a company (development studios) bring to the table. I'd say Microsoft will soon follow suit (Hopefully in the form of 3P HMD support), if you can't set the trend, you best be able to keep up with the said trend.
agree 100%. the psvr was so limited because of controls and the fact it was an afterthought.
now with amazing technics like eye tracking and Foveated rendering. proper controls we are about to witness greatness.

Alexios

Don't worry, boys! Rich says Sony is here to save high-end VR from that dirty ol' Quest 2 and tiny user base PCVR. Just need a PS5 and 20ft cord running through the middle of your living room. 🤡
For some, next gen VR starts when Sony says so, everyone has to keep up on exactly the same moment in time, not before, or after. Sony's is good enough until when they decide it's not good enough and bring a successor, rendering everything else obsolete, or superfluous, accordingly 🤷‍♂️ 🤡
This device so far is 2 generations ahead of the Quest 2. And this is coming from someone who owned the Rift, Index, Quest 1 & 2.
Neat opinion, maybe eye tracking subjectively warrants one gen, if it's so hard for you to consider same-gen devices with different capabilities based on cost and other factors, but it doesn't enable much on the user/playability side, mostly saves GPU resources for even better visuals so will be even more useful for mobile devices (not to mention a Meta device may have it before PSVR2 even launches, others already do have it but cost will be an issue to raise for them, but not any cost difference vs Quest 2, right?), too bad it has nothing to do with anything you just quoted 🤦‍♂️🤡

Last edited:

John Wick

They were all very positive towards the PSVR2. Which was great. Hopefully Sony will release it for PC too. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Yeah, unusually stupid takes from them on this.

Cherrypepsi

Really happy with the Quest 2 + Virtual Desktop experience on PC

but those PSVR2 specs are insane. Hope they get everything right.

SLB1904

Banned
Really happy with the Quest 2 + Virtual Desktop experience on PC

but those PSVR2 specs are insane. Hope they get everything right.
we just need the games. horizon is supposed to be AAA VR, fingers cross is a full-fledge game, also London studios proved themselves with vr worlds and blood and truth, cant wait to see what they do with VR. Alyx is proof of why the controllers are important to create an amazing VR game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
"SHIT. I need something negative about the PSVR2 to regurgitate! Ah, yes! The cord!"

Here's a better clown:
Mr Rogers Clown GIF
The video is just odd though, considering you can play Alyx on Quest 2 wireless or wired, right now.

He's basically saying he wishes there was no accessible VR for anyone but rich people since it holds back "high end VR." Quest 2 at $300 is not holding back VR. It's growing it in a huge way. The large price tags for people to enter into VR and the wires are literally the main barriers to widespread adoption. Quest tackles both, but ALSO lets you play on PC high end as well.

The video comes off very tone deaf in my opinion.

R6Rider

Gold Member
we just need the games. horizon is supposed to be AAA VR, fingers cross is a full-fledge game, also London studios proved themselves with vr worlds and blood and truth, cant wait to see what they do with VR. Alyx is proof of why the controllers are important to create an amazing VR game.
Imagine this launch lineup:

Horizon: Call of the Mountain
Hitman 3 (Updated)
Gran Turismo 7 (Updated)
Half-Life Alyx
Resident Evil Village (Updated)
Another unannounced Sony VR IP

I wouldn't mind them bringing back Killzone and Resistance for VR either.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
If Sony can release the PSVR2 at a reasonable price along with compelling games that are above what's currently out there, it'll sell as many units as they can produce probably for few years.

I'm not a VR guy but if they can have:
- Gran Turismo 7
- Resident Evil Village
- Half Life: Alyx

Full fledge games but in VR done right, I'm on board.

SLB1904

Banned
Imagine this launch lineup:

Horizon: Call of the Mountain
Hitman 3 (Updated)
Gran Turismo 7 (Updated)
Half-Life Alyx
Resident Evil Village (Updated)
Another unannounced Sony VR IP

I wouldn't mind them bringing back Killzone and Resistance for VR either.
funny you mention killzone. today i was thinking i would prefer killzone over horizon in vr. but that's just because i can't imagine horizon in VR, but i can Killzone mostly due to Killzone 2 cover system. it felt very real taking cover in killzone 2 compared to other shooter where you just go prone

R6Rider

Gold Member
funny you mention killzone. today i was thinking i would prefer killzone over horizon in vr. but that's just because i can't imagine horizon in VR, but i can Killzone mostly due to Killzone 2 cover system. it felt very real taking cover in killzone 2 compared to other shooter where you just go prone
It would be great in VR.

I myself have dreams of Splinter Cell (even remakes) in VR and even online shooters like Siege. Siege would work so damn well in VR.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It's common knowledge that the Quest 2 is by far the best selling HMD ever, and most of those Quests are used standalone, not as PC headsets. The second best selling headset is the dead PSVR AFAIK. The PSVR2 will probably land in-between those two sales-wise.

Your argument is that the Quest 2 becoming more and more popular is growing the PCVR market. Mine is that that market (which is for tech enthusiasts willing to spend a lot of money) is tiny compared to the standalone Quest market, and the result is that you don't see a lot of really great high-end VR games. PSVR2 might change that. Which is also the argument made in the video.

Top Bottom