• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] PlayStation VR 2 Spec Analysis + Horizon Call of the Mountain Reaction

Romulus

I guess ill need to wait and see before comparing psvr2 games to normal AAA ps5 games made for the hardware. You know, because basically everything thus far looks like a ps4 pro game running at higher resolutions/fps.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Bit of a stretch there m8, I'm expecting base PS4 possibly Pro levels tbh and if you seen what Sonys 1st party devs can wring out of the O.G. Ps4 that ain't a bad thing considering that imo PSVR1 is PS3 level graphical fidelity but there's no way were getting visual parity with PS5 although i sincerely hope i eat these words!

Foveated rendering should bring the visual quality where you're looking closer to regular PS5 games than PSVR1 graphics were to typical PS4 games. But it definitely won't get all the way there, due to having to render everything from two different camera angles at a higher framerate than a regular game.

Romulus

Foveated rendering should bring the visual quality where you're looking closer to regular PS5 games than PSVR1 graphics were to typical PS4 games. But it definitely won't get all the way there, due to having to render everything from two different camera angles at a higher framerate than a regular game.

Even stuff like re7 felt like a ps3 version. The immersion was 100x better still, despite the visual hit.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The immersion defo trump's the graphics, Skyrim looked like shit and I've played it on the PC modded with every graphical bell and whistle but that feeling of actually being in the world, the scale of the mountains, slowly peering around corners in some claustrophobic dungeon makes the PS3 graphics melt away into the background and puts you inside the game... For such an underpowered system compared to PC hardware it was punching well above it's weight so I can only imagine what PSVR2 will be like with all the shit that Sony has learnt and all the data and feedback they will have got from the first one

Romulus

I don't agree. Played RE7 VR on the Pro and it was one of the few VR games that looked "current gen" to me, not like the best 30fps PS4 games, but comparable to the usual 60fps flat titles.

Yeah thats a point that the assets were the same but nx gamer did a video about re7 and the resolution was very low. On pro even, but well ahead of pase ps4. I think the ultra narrow corridors helped tremendously because the main big room and outdoors areas tanked the resolution.

800 PPI is ridiculous, it's certainly not the highest pixel density they've been able to achieve in an OLED but PSVR2 looks like it's going to be amazing...and expensive. For anybody who managed to et an Analogue Pocket, glue one of those to each eye and you're still not even close and that was pretty mazing. Also, now that you've done what I said and gone blind due to glueing things to your eyes, please send me your Analogue Pockets as they're no bloody use to you now! Thanks.
With the resolution, pixel density, a full RGB display that's also HDR compatible, it really does sound like it's doing everything right in terms of the numbers it's presenting. Combing all the good stuff we already know with them using low-frequency vibrations to help alleviate VR sickness is all sounding fantastic.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah thats a point that the assets were the same but nx gamer did a video about re7 and the resolution was very low. On pro even, but well ahead of pase ps4. I think the ultra narrow corridors helped tremendously because the main big room and outdoors areas tanked the resolution.

Yeah RE7 on my PS4 Pro in PSVR looked like a launch PS4 game. Which to me was over the hills great! If PSVR2 can manage that look and feel.......and make the average game look like a cross-gen PS5 game, then WHOA!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
RE7 did lens-matching (...sigh... "static-foveated" - thanks for nothing on abusing terminology Oculus) to improve VR resolution on both base and Pro. Unfortunately the implementation they chose was a kind of single-pass algorithm that
a) relied on reconstruction, so every now and then things look blurry when reconstruction fails, and in VR that happens a lot more than on flat-games.
b) it had really ugly artifacts in the low-resolution periphery due to the coarseness of the pixel-block culling they use to reduce resolution.
Both of the above are particularly bad on base-PS4, and are much improved on Pro, but still.

Also wtf was this bumped for?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
RE7 did lens-matching (...sigh... "static-foveated" - thanks for nothing on abusing terminology Oculus) to improve VR resolution on both base and Pro. Unfortunately the implementation they chose was a kind of single-pass algorithm that
a) relied on reconstruction, so every now and then things look blurry when reconstruction fails, and in VR that happens a lot more than on flat-games.
b) it had really ugly artifacts in the low-resolution periphery due to the coarseness of the pixel-block culling they use to reduce resolution.
Both of the above are particularly bad on base-PS4, and are much improved on Pro, but still.

Also wtf was this bumped for?
To get you to explain this I guess :D.

ParaSeoul

since i set it up? or since i posted? haha
Posted and you did it again.
GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
For these things, is cost driven by the chipsets or by the lenses and sensors? I ask as I would assume the former but don’t actually know

Top Bottom