• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Resident Evil 2 Remake/ Resident Evil 3 Remake - PS5/ Xbox Series X/S - Current-Gen Patch Review

assurdum

Banned
Everybody can take advantage of it, you just have to upgrade your display. Just like if you want 120fps you had to upgrade your console, same principle, doesn't make new consoles "shit" just better.
You know a new TV is not exactly free. We have to pay 500 extra dollars (as minimum) to have a stable fps. At this point a new pc is more worthy.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Yes, of course, if your display supports VRR that mode should be the smoothest of the three with no visual downgrades compared to the 60 fps mode.

And yes, they should have made the dynamic resolution range way wider in RT Mode, 2160p-2016p is such a small difference that it can only do so much for performance.
I start to think this game not uses DRS at all. Why it just drops to 2016p? Nonsense. First time I heard RE uses DRS. Wouldn't be surprising if this new guy has completely misunderstood the pixels counts and the reconstruction tech for DRS. It's the same who said Sniper Elite 5 was 1440p at lower on Series X when it reached the same of the ps5.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'll stick to playing these on my 3080.

Excited Fired Up GIF by USC Trojans

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Even after watching the video, I still don't understand what the resolution is in any of the modes.
man, the modes description suck asssss in main menu.
What I understand, is high performance mode does not lower any settings or resoltion... so wtf wouldn't they name it differently?! The name indicates you will get lower graphics

Mr Moose

Even after watching the video, I still don't understand what the resolution is in any of the modes.
man, the modes description suck asssss in main menu.
What I understand, is high performance mode does not lower any settings or resoltion... so wtf wouldn't they name it differently?! The name indicates you will get lower graphics
It does, DF are blind. Is it Tom?

Arioco

I start to think this game not uses DRS at all. Why it just drops to 2016p? Nonsense. First time I heard RE uses DRS. Wouldn't be surprising if this new guy has completely misunderstood the pixels counts and the reconstruction tech for DRS. It's the same who said Sniper Elite 5 was 1440p at lower on Series X when it reached the same of the ps5.

It's very weird, I know, and no RE Engine game that I know of has used DRS so far, but the problem is ElAnalistadeBits pixel counts are exactly the same: 2016p at lowest. Let's wait and see what VGTech has to say about it, his pixel counts are usually spot on.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I didn't say the consoles were shit, did I? I said the "solution" was shit. Games should be optimized to run at their target framerates. This is regardless of the platform.

Yes, aiming for 4K with RT is overkill and not the right solution, but for those who have the means, VRR affords them the option to play a relatively smooth version with all the visual enhancements.

It's just that, @ing Riky probably won't get you anywhere but tweeting Capcom may.

They reduced RE3makes rendering resolution on Xbox One X cause it was 4K at launch, higher than Pro but performed much worse by comparison. So they do listen to fan feedback.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fingers crossed they patch the RT mode to have a larger DRS range, dropping to 1440p or something.

I'll check out the 120fps mode tomorrow on resi 3. Seems decent if you have a VRR display.

rofif

Banned
Wondering the differences between PS5 and XSX 3D audio implementation....does the XSX also support some type now?
I think it’s internal game solution. So I wonder if ps5 3d is running on top of game 3d…
I don’t have these on ps5 so I can’t check but I am very interested how it sounds compared to pc

scydrex

I would have prefer that both games or three including RE7 were 1440p RT 60fps or 4k 60fps and 1440p or 1080p 120fps. If VRR is used then unlocked FPS.

Last edited:

RPSleon

- RT Mode: it includes RT reflections and RT GI. Reflections are subtle but stable. PS5 and Series X are roughly 2160p, but sometimes it can go down slightly to 2016p. Series S seems to be 1440p. A form of reconstruction seems to be in use. Settings are basically the same, but Series S features degraded reflections. Performance in RT Mode isn't great. PS5 and Series X are mostly in 40 to 60 fps territory. Series S suffers more and is generally 30 to 50 fps.

-60 fps mode: resolution is the same as in RT mode. It runs at a perfect 60 fps on all three machines.

- 120 fps mode: visual settings are the same as last the previous mode, but performance is uncapped. PS5 and Series X generally run at 80-120 fps, usually around 100 fps. Series S is similar but it tends to bottom out a little bit lower. Series X and PS5 perform similar, but Series X tends to have a small performance advantage in matching footage.

Another candidate for a 40fps cap option.

I'll stick to playing these on my 3080.

Excited Fired Up GIF by USC Trojans
A modder named PrayDog took it upon himself to get full VR working for Resi 2 & 3 Remakes as well as Resi 7 & 8. It's FREE and it WORKS, even with the new patches. Full hand-tracking, too, which Resi 7 PSVR didn't even have! This guy is an absolute legend. The Resi games became some of the best VR games for me overnight. Outside of the pre-game menus, they're some of the most polished VR experiences you can have.

Link:
Resident Evil - VR Installation

Last edited:

adamsapple

Did they observe the iq delta between ps5 and XsX?

No. They only noted the SX version performs a little better in the 120hz mode and also better with its VRR iteration for the RT mode.

Otherwise they're identical.

Last edited:

Shmunter

On ps5 to capture the VRR range on RT all they need to do is run it in 120hz, 40 becomes 80 - done.

Sony really needs to grab the bull by the horns here. Either implement freesync or allow system level 120hz, or set some requirements for devs.

Last edited:
On ps5 to capture the VRR range on RT all they need to do is run it in 120hz, 40 becomes 80 - done.

Sony really needs to grab the bull by the horns here. Either implement freesync or allow system level 120hz, or set some requirements for devs.

I agree with that. Seems like something they could fix with an update (like VRR for ex).

Calverz

Completed re3 with rt on. Series x and LGCX. Game looked and played great. I noticed some slight slowdown maybe twice and both during cutscenes. I also noticed some screen tearing when your climbing up the building and nemesis is chasing you with flamethrower. Again this was during a non violent playable cutscene.

Looked great. Well done capcom.

fatmarco

I don't know about the main campaigns but I jumped into "Runaway" and "Forgotten Soldier" on Series X with Ray Tracing and it was not great/stable even with VRR. Playable is not the same thing as rock solid 60 fps, especially when the visual improvement is something you have to go out of your way to look for (outside of those reflections in the main hall of the police station).

It was especially problematic for some reason in "Runaway" which takes place at the Orphanage and the streets outside of the Orphanage.

Shmunter

So I finished RE2 Remake on PS5. Was fine, not spectacular or anything.

Should I play the Clair story? Is it in different locales and a completely seperate story within the overarching timeframe?

Also I concur. The contrast mix here is absolutely shambolic. I must’ve gone into settings dozens of times trying to dial it in, then I even tweaked tv settings in attempts to make this look right like a propeller hat pc user trying to squeeze those ever elusive frames. Was never happy - wtf were they thinking. I hope RE3 corrects this.

rofif

Banned

Should I play the Clair story? Is it in different locales and a completely seperate story within the overarching timeframe?

Also I concur. The contrast mix here is absolutely shambolic. I must’ve gone into settings dozens of times trying to dial it in, then I even tweaked tv settings in attempts to make this look right like a propeller hat pc user trying to squeeze those ever elusive frames. Was never happy - wtf were they thinking. I hope RE3 corrects this.
I finished with leon and then Claire B.
She visits 95% of the same locations but it's all mixed up. You dont get the same keys, stuff is in different locations, her story is a tiny bit different.
I think i's worth playing.
She get all the new weapons and puzzles too

Last edited:

adamsapple

Yes, Claire's story is basically the second half of the story, one full round of both players makes for a complete story. And yes the contrast issue has been a part of the game since launch, but the third game does not have it that severely if I recall correctly

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's an artist choice, if you pop just through the door without fully going in you'll see a glimpse of it without the filter, not all rooms have it.
It's a odd one but it is on purpose

Last edited:
I love RE2 remake so I had to go through it with ray-tracing. To be honest though, I think I'd rather have turned off ray-tracing and increased the resolution and/or frame rate instead. On PC, using a 2080Ti, it didn't perform terribly well, though it was acceptable at 1440p (maybe not the image quality, post processing is a mess in this game and it looks rough at this res)

Effects generally are hard to spot and far from comprehensive since there are still remaining cube maps in fairly conspicuous places (the main hall bulletin board is an easy example). There's also a lot of graininess, especially as you move the camera to face a new surface and the game struggles to resolve it... this seems not worth it given the reflections on these surfaces are very subtle and barely perceived. The main benefit does seem to be the removal of SSR. Oh and this is all max settings except volumetrics are medium and lens distortion is off.

RE3 seems better so far, they seem to have gone a little crazier with putting reflections on things. Helps that RE3 presentationally is much better and looks fine at 1440p. I'm still not sure if I'd choose to run this way though if I wasn't testing it for curiosity's sake. RE3 is fun though... it got a bad rap for devolving into a more linear action game with less depth than 2 but it's a fun enough and better than 7, Village, probably any other mainline Resi game since 4, imo.

DukeNukem00

Banned

Alex is not pulling any punched here. He mops the floor with Capcom. Basically, besides a shit quality RT that they wont let you scale up in quality to take advantage of computers, they regresed in multiple areas that are better in the old version

These patches are pretty disappointing. Not sure why the rt mode isn't locked, or the 120fps mode of it's literally the same graphics and resolution as PS4 pro. It was a pretty stable 60 on pro.

I guess you get what you pay for lol.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They lightly touch upon it. The VRR range on PS5 is 48~60hz, and the game in RT mode frequently goes below that so it's not really recommended by them.

Xbox's VRR range goes between 40~60hz so it fares better.
True but if the game swings between 40 and 60 FPS and goes below 48 FPS a lot and you do not notice that even with VRR enabled (VRR on still means that visuals are updating at the speed they are updating, it is not magic) then you may as well lock the game to 40 FPS if you have a TV that supports it natively (recent-ish 120 Hz TV like LG C9+). You would not notice that that much it is not 60 FPS… or you notice the framerate fluctuating even though you have VRR on… pick one ;).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Alex is not pulling any punched here. He mops the floor with Capcom. Basically, besides a shit quality RT that they wont let you scale up in quality to take advantage of computers, they regresed in multiple areas that are better in the old version

Weird, scaling is apparently so easy… maybe adding more HW to the mix with more frequently released mid generation / iterative consoles will help ;).

Seriously though, it is a bit of an odd rushed out patch, but that is par for the course for a lot of companies supporting wider and wider HW configurations. The big issue on PC is that they are not letting users easily optimise the game by themselves (which still seems a bit fun to me ;)).

Banned

I love is Frankenstein monster of an upscaling combo to fix the sharpening and AA lol

Top Bottom