• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Motorstorm - The Full Series Revisited - Amazing Arcade Mayhem on PS3, PS2, PSP, PS Vita

Fbh

Damn that emulated version of Pacific Rift looks amazing. It's almost crazy that it's the exact same game just at a higher res and with better texture filtering.

Really loved that game back in the day, played a ton of split screen with friends.

Pejo

If it wasn't for the awful rubberbanding, this would have been one of my favorite racing series of all time. Playing Apocolypse on my Playstation 3DTV (that little one they made with the glasses) was a fantastic experience and it was what really sold me on 3D at the time.

arvfab

Banned
For a brief moment, I thought thread name was name of a suprise announcement of MotorStorm collection 😔

Such a shame series was dropped.

The Stig

I loved the first game for a few hours until I saw the absolutely HORRIFIC rubber banding.

You can run the perfect race somehow 2nd and 3rd place get rocket boosters.

Sorry but the catchup AI in this game was utterly criminal.

Last edited:
Isn't OnRush seen as its secret successor? Anyways, loved the first entry when it came out. Was a real graphical showcase for the system. Would like to see another entry in the series.

Cryio

I played MotorStom 1 at a friend sometimes between 2007 to 2009. I remember it looking dazzling. Only played it for a few rounds, but it stuck in my mind forever.
I never got (or intend to get) a PS3, so I'll end up emulating it on RPCS3 one day.

MDSLKTR

I think I still have a picture of all gold medals in motorstom 1 before trophies were a thing. The trucks in this were monsters.

It's a shame he doesn't touch on the Evolution of the WRC series more. Each one was more technically accomplished than the last with better effects & models, higher res textures and huge draw distances. Really felt as tho you were driving on a stage within a big environment as opposed to a track like other rally games

nikos

Fun fact: Motorstorm 1 was released in Japan four months before North America and Europe. The Japanese version did not even include online play.

I actually imported it because I was so excited to play it.

Wish we’d see a re-release of these games.

Banned
with the newest RPCS3 version Pacific Rift should run even better right? this was recorded and first released to patreon about a month ago I think, so this was with the old version of the emulator.

I also only tried on an older version where my 5600X pushed it to a respectable 45-60fps

ACESHIGH

Banned
I'll try on my FX 6300 just for shits and giggles. If it runs at 30 fps RPCS3 devs should be canonized

Last edited:

skit_data

Motorstorm was the first PS3 game I played (my cousin got the PS3 at launch) and I found it extremely impressive visually but I didn’t find it very fun and never bought any game in the series when I got a PS3 myself.

Looking back at it, I should’ve bought at least one installment. Just like the Resistance series, these games passed me by for some reason.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I had the original Motorstorm and I wasn't that keen. I was a little disappointed I've just ordered Pacific Rift after watching this as I think it looks great.

Stuart360

Even though the first game didnt come close to that fake CGI E3 trailer (I think Killzone 2 came much closer, although still miles off), it was still a good looking game for the time.

Fantastic series to be honest. All i can think is Apocalypse (that was the last one right?) flopped pretty bad and thats why Evolution went with DriveClub and not a new Motorstorm for PS4.
What a shame that was.

//DEVIL//

Closing down Evolution Studios was one of the worst decisions.
This can't be said enough . Sony lost me as a fan when they did . It's really at that time where I gave up on Sony as a whole. Just so they favor the stupid japanese PD . Probably that asshole told them we don't want 2 racing studios .

Motorstorm and drive club are my fav games after the old god of war as a Sony first party studio goes. After that we got a pumpkin killer god of war and PS4 game slapped with w PS4 cover and not fun gt7.

sinnergy

Motor Storm was god tier ! Worth every penny with my way to overpriced PS3 phat at launch . Didn’t really like the games that followed. The first one had a clear and simple vision . MUD.

Last edited:

Certinty

The first game was great. The setting and location itself was god-tier, an offroad racing festival in the desert, it doesn’t get much better than that. Shame the loading times ruined everything else.

Second game was nice with a good setting too, the third was such a strange setting which made zero sense.

Oh and RC was an underrated masterpiece. One of the best Vita games.

If they ever reboot Motorstorm I hope they make it like the first game was with a variety of locations.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol at Phil Harrison berating the team for not matching the CG trailer graphics HE himself said were realtime. Him and Jack Tretton fucked over GG and Evolution like no one else due to their OWN fuck ups and inability to understand what is CG and what is realtime.

I have no idea how these people get hired let alone ascend to such important positions.

skit_data

Holy shit Pacific Rift looks good on RPCS3, it looks fucking fantastic in 4k 60fps. Really says something about the effort Evolution put into the game. Crazy.

Edit: It’s funny how he points out how good these games sound. I don’t know what it is with PS3 but many of the games sounds much better than PS4. Idk if it’s simply the sound processing, dynamic range or having more available channels but the sound of the PS3 was very much superior to PS4.

Last edited:
I had to take turns between playing Pacific Rift and Blur.

Too bad that Apocalypse was too different from anything that resembled the franchise for my taste. It wasn't a bad racing game but it wasn't what I'd call a good MotorStorm. I can only dream of what a PS5 Remake or Reboot could have been, although I doubt any PlayStation studio has enough experience or talent within the genre to try to revive the franchise.

I know Evolution didn't deliver by Sony Standards but they were a talented bunch. Too bad they went to Codemasters, then consequently to EA.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Ahhhh Motorstorm, what a mixed bag of emotions you were.

Some of the worst bullshot CGI nonsense ever in a trailer. Also remember being angered when they put it in a Walmart kiosk and it blared a Nirvana song. That was the first time I remember a Nirvana song being licensed out to some bullshit, and it made me irrationally angry. Images of Jim Morrison going apeshit are still conjured when I think about it. In retrospect, it was a sign of things to come in regards to licensing music inappropriately/with poor effect.

The first game was pretty fun, but a bit of a letdown after that initial trailer. And as others have said, the AI and rubberbanding was atrocious. As a result, and the dirge of other games at the time, I think I skipped Pacific Rift. Then Apocalypse came around and looked cool, so I eagerly awaited it's release. I remember it came out in Europe and then a big Earthquake hit Japan so it got delayed in the US...so I jailbroke my PS3 and played them shits. I don't think I finished it.

I played the PSP game quite a bit, as it was a solid racing game for that platform. I learned years later that it was ported to PS2, and I've dicked around with it via emulation, but eh. hard to go back to.

I was a huge fan of Speed Devils and Demolition Racer on Dreamcast, so this series always SEEMED like it was right up my alley, but it never quite did it for me. Years later, OnRush was much more palatable.

I wish Sony would do what it takes and bring the series back, along with Twisted Metal(I know) and Wipeout.

Top Bottom