• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Motorstorm - The Full Series Revisited - Amazing Arcade Mayhem on PS3, PS2, PSP, PS Vita

Man, Phil Harrison was a tough sonofabitch back then, huh?

Looking forward to watching this one a bit later; quite enjoy these DF Retro entries.

”It honestly holds up surprisingly well today, it’s a native 720p which isn’t a lot of pixels but it’s also not uncommon for certain consoles on the market today”

I loled

That was a burn.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

If a remaster of this game came out on the PS5 playing to the consoles strength the PS5 itself would be an instant buy for me.......but this epsiode of DF retro goes to show what you WON'T be getting with Sony's fancy new online service....(in terms of legacy catalogue)

If a remaster of this game came out on the PS5 playing to the consoles strength the PS5 itself would be an instant buy for me.......but this epsiode of DF retro goes to show what you WON'T be getting with Sony's fancy new online service....(in terms of legacy catalogue)

At least not yet. They could easily add the Motorstorm games to the catalogue at a later date.

yurinka

Awesome video, great tribute that perfectly explains why Motorstorm and Evolution were so amazing.

Let's hope Sony releases a 4K 120fps remastered collection for PS4, PS5 & PC followed by a brand new Motorstorm by Firesprite -since it has many Evolution, Bizarre Creations and Studio Liverpool former staff there- for PS5 with optional full game PSVR2 support.

Last edited:

CobraAB

lol at Phil Harrison berating the team for not matching the CG trailer graphics HE himself said were realtime. Him and Jack Tretton fucked over GG and Evolution like no one else due to their OWN fuck ups and inability to understand what is CG and what is realtime.

I have no idea how these people get hired let alone ascend to such important positions.
Take a deep breath my friend, That was 2005.

Banned
You must never have actually played this game. Keep in mind it's a 2014 game too.

I have... Forza Motorsport 4 looks better and is from 2009 :)
that also runs at 60fps :)

Z52GN1x.jpg

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Still can’t believe Sony shut down evolution studios. What a shitshow.
Evo said they would release Driveclub on PS+
Along at launch which never happened and with the launch problems the new generation of entitled gamers boycotted the retail version because they wanted the PS+ version
And when they found out it was a bare bones version, which was obvious.
Evo didn't stand a chance, bad luck & Gamers killed Evolution.

AGRacing

This made me fire up my original PS3 and load up Pacific Rift and Apocalypse today...

They sure don't make em like that anymore. The racing genre isn't getting the respect it deserves.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pacific Rift was my favorite racing game of all time. It had issues sure, but it was such a blast to play.
Its safe to say pacific rift ruined every other arcade racer for me. Nfs, Ubisofts open world racers, and unfortunately Forza because it’s the only arcade racer left. Forza has the same setting, amazing visuals and great production values but it just doesn’t capture the sense of speed, the carnage, the strategy of picking the best routes and vehicles.

Driveclub was the only other game that came close to matching the sense of speed and thrill but even that didn’t capture everything else Pacific rift brought to the genre.

Banned
Along at launch which never happened and with the launch problems the new generation of entitled gamers boycotted the retail version because they wanted the PS+ version

"Entitled gamers"
you are aware that this game was a complete disaster at launch? I love how "entitled" now apparently means the same as "expects game to function" or "expects companies to not under-deliver"

Last edited:
Its safe to say pacific rift ruined every other arcade racer for me. Nfs, Ubisofts open world racers, and unfortunately Forza because it’s the only arcade racer left. Forza has the same setting, amazing visuals and great production values but it just doesn’t capture the sense of speed, the carnage, the strategy of picking the best routes and vehicles.

Driveclub was the only other game that came close to matching the sense of speed and thrill but even that didn’t capture everything else Pacific rift brought to the genre.

Yep.

Pacific Rift may have been my favorite racing title of all time. Just an incredible visual feast of the eyes. The lush richness of the visuals, the dynamic physics, the sense of speed and immersion. What an incredible game.

Shutting down Evolution was a terrible mistake

lol at Phil Harrison berating the team for not matching the CG trailer graphics HE himself said were realtime. Him and Jack Tretton fucked over GG and Evolution like no one else due to their OWN fuck ups and inability to understand what is CG and what is realtime.

I have no idea how these people get hired let alone ascend to such important positions.

I'll never understand how certain people manage to rise to the top of organizations.

WTF did Phil Harrison do? He was just some bald headed british dude that failed upwards constantly.

I guess you have to be a slick talking BS salesman. So many of these charlatan executives that don't do shit for these companies over the long term and make a whole lot of money doing a whole lot of nothing.

Outlier

I really like MS1 for how how raw the gameplay was.
I didn't like MS2: PR. It just felt... gamey? Just rubbed me the wrong way.

But.. I LOVED MS3:A. The setting, the music, and the gameplay! I was blown away by how much they put into making the races feel so eventful. Everything just clicked for me. I don't remember a single negative thought I surely didn't have, for it. I feel like it was horribly UNDERAPPRECIATED!

I don't know if I'd play them again, but those were over all a really fun series for me.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'll never understand how certain people manage to rise to the top of organizations.

WTF did Phil Harrison do? He was just some bald headed british dude that failed upwards constantly.

I guess you have to be a slick talking BS salesman. So many of these charlatan executives that don't do shit for these companies over the long term and make a whole lot of money doing a whole lot of nothing.
I have seen this in action at my firm. People go from lowly bad engineers to managers and then directors then VPs just by coasting on the work of other people. All you have to do is take a managerial position and either surround yourself with good workers or work them to death. As long as they are successful, you get the credit for their hard work.

Calverz

Wrong. Sony did.

RPS37

Seeing Pacific Rift get the sufficient amount of love in the thread.
Did not hold up IQ-wise when I last tried it.
Need a next gen reboot.

TGO

"Entitled gamers"
you are aware that this game was a complete disaster at launch? I love how "entitled" now apparently means the same as "expects game to function" or "expects companies to not under-deliver"
The disaster at launch was on them, I did say that. The delay of the PSN version was on them too.
But it wouldn't have mattered if it was or not
The large portion of gamers that didn't buy it because they wanted the free version & bitched about it being bare bones version when that was obvious.
The only people the launch problems effected was people who bought it.
But Evo ended up giving the full game away free because people demanded it because they had to wait and bitched up a storm when it was bare bones, even though it was stated and was called the PSN Edition

So Yeah, that's entitled gamers & bad luck.

Last edited:

TGO

I still can't believe it was that long ago, 2006?
Wow
Don't seem that long ago 😟

Last edited:

sinnergy

People always posting pictures to make the game look bad. Here's a picture tha represents actual gameplay:

4Nn3Zpt.jpg
True , I couldn’t see jack shit when racing in this game with rain and the cramped low head cockpit view 🤣 .. it was not a superb gameplay experience imo.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished watchin. Another great video from DF Retro.

Only DF can make me feel vaguely nostalgic for the early PS3 days. Those days were NOT fun. I can tell you in 2007 you were better still buyin games for PS2 or going the 360 route haha

MarkMe2525

If it wasn't for the awful rubberbanding, this would have been one of my favorite racing series of all time. Playing Apocolypse on my Playstation 3DTV (that little one they made with the glasses) was a fantastic experience and it was what really sold me on 3D at the time.
I only have experience with the first motorstorm but I always felt it needed more rubberbanding. Once a got the hang of the few tracks it had, I could literally lap the computer AI in career mode. The funnest part of the race was always the start when all the lanes were congested and you had to fight for position.

UnNamed

Banned
People are usually too harsh with M:Apocalypse, of course it wasn't as good as M:pacific Rift, it was just different.

M:pR is still the pinnacle of arcade racing games, and do better than that was impossibile or redundant, so Evolution did something different with Apocalypse. Races are less focused on conditions on track and more on weather, disasters and fire/water. For example, in PR motorbikes or monster trucks are heavily influenced by mud and paths, in M:A there aren't so many paths, so races are more influenced by fire, people throwing molotov on you, weather conditions. People on track have a big impact on race, as well as fire and water, it's not so evident of you played M:pR.

The only thing M:A was really bad was the rubber band effect, very strong in this episode.

That first trailer could probably go down as the biggest bs trailer of all time , yes the games were good but that trailer was pure bs

SkylineRKR

Its one of the most fun arcade franchises of all time. The sense of speed, danger of dying at every corner but even straights, the boost button that could blow you up if you were too greedy, I really liked it. Pacific Rift is its high point imo, it was fun both online and off. Apocalypse was still good, but the story mode was awful. Even the PSP game was a fun romp.

OnRush was trash compared to Motorstorm by the way. In that game I just held boost, and sometimes won or lost. I never really understood it. There was no lap design, no real sense of racing.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Pacific Rift was one of the best PS3 exclusives. So much fun.

Is Onrush online players only or can you race bots? A game I totally forgot about.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Onrush is a spiritual successor to these games. Dosent reach Pacific Rim levels but its a fun game.

It's nothing like Motorstorm. For one, it's not actually a racing game. The driving in the game feels good, but the lack of actual racing made me drop it very quickly.

Otre

Banned
It's nothing like Motorstorm. For one, it's not actually a racing game. The driving in the game feels good, but the lack of actual racing made me drop it very quickly.
It may have different winning goals and strategy but the DNA is there. If not a traditional racing game, but it still is one. Its the closest thing to motorstorm. It was even made by ex MotoStorm devs.

Top Bottom