• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: The Digital Foundry Tech Review (XB1/X)

Fake

Xbox One only coverage for now, as EA did not provide PS4 review code. This is a storming title from Respawn Entertainment, and a real showcase for Unreal Engine 4 - but let's just say that the quality of the experience varies dramatically between Xbox One X and Xbox One S. With that in mind, we'll try to bring you PS4 and Pro impressions as soon as we can. Join D dark10x .

Summary
- No base PS4 and PRO this time.
- Jedi Fallen is a Unreal Engine 4 game. Made by Respawn Entertainment and the director from God of War 3.
- Xbox One X offer two modes: Quality mode and Perfomance mode.
- You can turn off Motion Blur as well, but John recommend turn ON.
- Quality mode the game runs at 1440p while cap the framerate to 30.
- Perfomance mode the game runs at 1080p while runs uncap.
- Base Xbox One runs at 720p.
- Keep in mind that can have a dynamic resolution in place because of UE4 temporal upsample, but still not spotted.
- Some slowdown, texture pop in and glitches happens in the game that makes the game a little unpolished. Starts at 8:59.
- Some freezes spotted in base Xbox One while loading pause: 10:20 and 10:29
- Those glitches happens more offen in base Xbox One than Xbox One X. Starts at 9:36.
- Some problems on loading scenes. Don't happen with Xbox One X in the same scene. Starts at 11:17
- Perfomance time.
- While in quality mode, the Xbox One X runs nearly locked 30 fps for most of the time. Some dips in cutscenes, but not too severe.
- Just in one fight, the same showed at E3 trailer, Xbox don't hold 30 fps well. Starts at 14:06.
- While in perfomance mode, Xbox One X runs at uncaped framerate between 50~30 with some judder, but rarely reach 60 fps.
- Xbox One have dips very more common. Not terrible at the start of the game, but keep getting bad.
- At the same battle showed at E3, the frame rate on base Xbox One really get hit. Between 20~27 with some judder and texture pop. Starts at 16:33.
- Jedin Fallen is a beautiful Unreal Engine 4 game for this gen. John highly recommend playing on Xbox One X using Quality Mode, Turn on the motion blur and using Freesync. While in Xbox One feels very unpolish in comparison with much problems that can affect your experience in the game.

Last edited:

Banned
the performance mode is ridiculously bad.

I played the beginning on Pro at a friend's yesterday and it felt way better.

today I started on my One X and thought that the game was glitched, it ran that bad compared to the Pro version.

This seems like a terribe optimisation job since I'm pretty sure the X and the Pro run the exact bsame settings in performance mode.

on the other hand tho, the resolution mode on Pro felt absolutely terrible while it's fine on One X

Stuart360

the performance mode is ridiculously bad.

I played the beginning on Pro at a friend's yesterday and it felt way better.

today I started on my One X and thought that the game was glitched, it ran that bad compared to the Pro version.

This seems like a terribe optimisation job since I'm pretty sure the X and the Pro run the exact bsame settings in performance mode.

on the other hand tho, the resolution mode on Pro felt absolutely terrible while it's fine on One X
Its weird because i posted a vid yesterday of the first hour in performance mode on the OneX, and it looked really good and had that 60fps look to it, but on this vid it seems to hang around 45fps mostly and looks juddery.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Game is a complete beast in assets, presentation and overall beauty. Could have taken more time to optimize the UE4, but you are looking at the best iteration of UE4 aside from Gears 5. I expected it to weigh heavy on the base consoles. It's really a next-gen game tbh.

GymWolf

Dat XB1 version tho. Yep you can really tell we are in the final stages of this gen. Roll on next gen.
Maybe for the base console, but halo5, rdr2, gears5, tomb reaider remake etc. Runs better than this game on xone x and the game doesn't really has a better graphic compared to those games, also the pc version is a fucking mess from what i'm reading.

I think it's more respawn not being graphic and optimization wizards with the hardware and not an end of the gen thing. (Of course being at the end of the gen has is weight but probably not the major problem here)

The game doesn't have gigantic areas filled with a lot of things like some open worlds or next gen physics or other heavy lift to do from videos.

Last edited:

Banned
This is the vid i posted yesterday -

Does it look worse than that for you?
I mean you can see little drops, but it still looks smooth and not juddery

it's hard to judge the framerate from a youtube video with motion blur on.

are u playing in HDR? maybe that's the culprit?

Evilms

Banned
Summary:

• The game runs on Unreal Engine 4 instead of Dice's Frostbite.
  • As EA did not provide the game in its PS4 version on time, this analysis is dedicated to XB1 only.
  • The technical difference between version XB1 and XB1 X is huge than usual.
  • The XB1 X version offers two modes: Quality Mode in 1440p/30fps or Performance Mode in 1080p/unlocked framerate.
  • The basic XB1 version runs in 720p only.
  • The possibility of dynamic resolution cannot be ruled out in both cases.
  • The small imperfections noted throughout the game give the title an aspect of lack of finish.
  • The XB1 version has many more problems than the XB1 X (framerate, lag, various bugs...).
  • Pop-in textures can also occur on XB1 X even if less common than on XB1.
  • The game suffers from a freeze problem and freezes for a few seconds regularly on XB1, probably a loading problem.
  • The XB1 has difficulty loading open areas in time if you move quickly from one place to another.
  • The XB1 X in Quality Mode runs at almost 30fps locked with a few drops during the cut-scenes at the beginning of the levels.
  • In the later areas during the fight, the frame rate decreases slightly but remains stable at 30fps throughout the game.
  • In Performance Mode the game revolves around 45~50fps but rarely close to 60fps.
  • The basic XB1 version has much more frequent drops in the beginning of the levels.
  • The game seems slower in the last levels with a framerate 20~25fps that sometimes lasts a long time.
  • Very good motion blur.
  • On XB1 X, Digital Foundry recommends choosing Quality Mode.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Maybe for the base console, but halo5, rdr2, gears5, tomb reaider remake etc. Runs better than this game on xone x and the game doesn't really has a better graphic compared to those games, also the pc version is a fucking mess from what i'm reading.

I think it's more respawn not being graphic and optimization wizards with the hardware and not an end of the gen thing. (Of course being at the end of the gen has is weight but probably not the major problem here)

The game doesn't have gigantic areas fill of animated thjngs or next gen physics or other heavy lift to do from videos.
I was watching someone stream the PC version yestersay, and it ran great for him, he does have a beastly PC though (I9, 32gb Ram, 1080ti). And the levels are huge in this game, really big.

GymWolf

Game is a complete beast in assets, presentation and overall beauty. Could have taken more time to optimize the UE4, but you are looking at the best iteration of UE4 aside from Gears 5. I expected it to weigh heavy on the base consoles. It's really a next-gen game tbh.
You forgot days gone, sure not inferior to this or gears 5 in graphic (and it's an open world with 500 enemies on screen at once)

GymWolf

I was watching someone stream the PC version yestersay, and it ran great for him, he does have a beastly PC though (I9, 32gb Ram, 1080ti). And the levels are huge in this game, really big.
I'm reading through some performance topic for this game and most of the people are not happy with the perfromance, even beast pc.

It's probably a lucky thing like a shitload of pc games, if you are lucky it runs well, if you are not, well...

Last edited:

GymWolf

With Cyberpunk coming in March, and next gen consoles in November, i'd just wait for the next gen version. In fact i still wouldnt be surprised if the game ends up getting delayed again and ends up next gen only.
I envy your patience.

I'm gonna play on pc but the next gen console version is probably gonna be even better.

VFXVeteran

Banned
You forgot days gone, sure not inferior to this or gears 5 in graphic (and it's an open world with 500 enemies on screen at once)
It's superior because of the assets used. This game looks like it got a lot of ILM assets. Just like SW:1313 received. The overall textures, presentation, etc.. just "looks" better.

I wonder if the loading freezes are a game wide/platform wide issue

running off an SSD on my PC I notice a micro stutter here and there as new areas load in (Or seem to)

GymWolf

It's superior because of the assets used. This game looks like it got a lot of ILM assets. Just like SW:1313 received. The overall textures, presentation, etc.. just "looks" better.
Have you ever seen some screenshot from days gone? Texture in that game (a full fledged open world with more stuff on screen than both fallen order and gears 5 combined) are wonderfull...

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Have you ever seen some screenshot from days gone? Texture in that game (a full fledged open world with more stuff on screen than both fallen order and gears 5 combined) are wonderfull...

I have seen Days Gone and it's not that impressive looking. Having a game with a bunch of instanced geometry doesn't make it look impressive. You need high quality drawn assets, particles, environments, etc.. Also, open world doesn't make it impressive looking either. Those are just gameplay aspects. I'm talking about just pure visuals. The only game that I would compare as far as detailed shaders and textures and presentation would be Order 1666.

GymWolf

I have seen Days Gone and it's not that impressive looking. Having a game with a bunch of instanced geometry doesn't make it look impressive. You need high quality drawn assets, particles, environments, etc.. Also, open world doesn't make it impressive looking either. Those are just gameplay aspects. I'm talking about just pure visuals. The only game that I would compare as far as detailed shaders and textures and presentation would be Order 1666.
Well now i need to see by myself on pc after your big praise.

Still convinced that days gone is right there with the best ue4 games tho, the game has more than some nice assets...

Fake

Well now i need to see by myself on pc after your big praise.

Still convinced that days gone is right there with the best ue4 games tho, the game has more than some nice assets...
Thats because Days Gone don't use default shaders as so many others UE4 games use. Maybe thats why Jonh don't make the comparison.

Nydius

Ouch. The Xbox One S is the only platform I have to play this on right now and the positive reviews had me interested. Unfortunately, the area freezing and frame drops are major deal breakers for me. I absolutely loathe when games freeze for 5-10 seconds like that. Looks like I'm putting this on hold for now. Maybe I'll give it a Redbox rental as a trial to see how frequently these issues crop up.

RPGCrazied

The S can't even do 900p on recent releases. 720p is so last generation. I feel sorry for people with just that console. Its a great backward compatibility machine though.

Last edited:
With Cyberpunk coming in March, and next gen consoles in November, i'd just wait for the next gen version. In fact i still wouldnt be surprised if the game ends up getting delayed again and ends up next gen only.

That was my plan all along..but boi, this is hyped up CyberPunk we talking about for almost 8years now?

I know I'm a weak lil bish and will cop this day 1 😔😣🤭😁

Nydius

The S can't even do 900p on recent releases. 720p is so last generation. I feel sorry for people with just that console. Its a great backward compatibility machine though.

Believe me, I wish I still had my base PS4. But, unfortunately, real life happened and I had to make some financial choices.

That said, I won't be too surprised if the base PS4 suffers similar issues when all four are compared side by side. I'm afraid they might bump the PS4 resolution up to 900p or higher but doing so will give the PS4 the same freezing and frame drop issues as the One S @ 720p. With regards to the base PS4, I think I'd rather it be 720p if that meant they could remove the in-action loading freezes and flatten out the frame drops.

GymWolf

Thats because Days Gone don't use default shaders as so many others UE4 games use. Maybe thats why Jonh don't make the comparison.
i wasn't talking about DF (they love DG graphics), i was talking with VFX:messenger_winking:

but thanks for the info anyway.

Last edited:

JCK75

Have to get home before I can play it on a real GPU, but my experience here at work on a GTX 1060 has been quite good, having to do 1080P but with Epic Settings getting a stable 60fps.

stranno

Talking about jarring pauses in mid-game..

sEtebQq.gif

VFXVeteran

Banned
yeah xone x manage 4k30 on rdr2 and that game has far better graphics than this.

Rock* is definitely an anomoly in this comparison. RDR2 does arguably every single graphics technique done in this last generation. I still prefer the asset quality in JF. UE4 probably need some performance improvements but we are at the end of the generation.

VFXVeteran

Banned

We now know why 1313 was ahead of it's time back in 2013. JFO is very similar in asset quality to 1313 but has even better tech behind it and we have base consoles choking on running it. Can you imagine if 1313 did come out in 2013? Even the PC wouldn't be able to run it. And with it happening before the mid-gen cycle, console gamers would have been totally frustrated. The game would have been downgraded just like Witcher 3.

VFXVeteran

Banned

The PC is not a mess. I have a 2080Ti and I know exactly where the hiccups (i.e. 40-60FPS) are coming from during the cutscenes and overall general areas of gameplay levels. Their skin shader is insane and they are showing more than 1 full body person where the faces are taking up nearly the entire screen. To add, they are using forward rendering for transparent spirtes everywhere.. this will cause a big slowdown (and exactly where I'm seeing the slowdowns). You have to remember that JFO is pushing a LOT of transparency with the particles, sparks, lightsaber, laser blasts, etc.. it's just a demanding game.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
This game is a looker on the x for sure. Such a clean image and absolutely love the lighting and atmosphere.

Star wars x tomb raider x metroid x uncharted x dark souls. Just buy it.

Stuart360

Damn, the performance mode on the X is super shit. Any feedback on the Pro?

I was hoping to 60fps through this on Pro., especially after reading this which may be lies now after seeing the X...

Oh jeez, an early Christmas present for Thelastword if true.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Oh jeez, an early Christmas present for Thelastword if true.
Present for me too. That DF video has prevented any plans for an early purchase for me.

Odd that DF didn’t get PS4 code. Holding out hope it was deliberate so as not to show up the X. Shame for the xbros.

images

Last edited:

Stuart360

Present for me too. That DF video has prevented any plans for an early purchase for me.

Odd that DF didn’t get PS4 code. Holding out hope it was deliberate so as not to show up the X.

images
Well if the Pro version really is a locked 60fps, while the OneX version is 40-50fps, something will be VERY wrong, and something that would be 100% patched.

Edit. Found a Pro version in performance mode gameplay, its def not a locked 60fps -

Last edited:

Shmunter

Well if the Pro version really is a locked 60fps, while the OneX version is 40-50fps, something will be VERY wrong, and something that would be 100% patched.

Edit. Found a Pro version in performance mode gameplay, its def not a locked 60fps -

Sounded too far fetched for there be such a gulf. I’ll take a God Of War type of performance mode. But if it’s like the DF vid, I’ll be in no rush.

Top Bottom