• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: The Digital Foundry Tech Review (XB1/X)

Gamernyc78

Banned
I have seen Days Gone and it's not that impressive looking. Having a game with a bunch of instanced geometry doesn't make it look impressive. You need high quality drawn assets, particles, environments, etc.. Also, open world doesn't make it impressive looking either. Those are just gameplay aspects. I'm talking about just pure visuals. The only game that I would compare as far as detailed shaders and textures and presentation would be Order 1666.

Given your post history and how you "neutrally" try to big up Microsoft and downplay Sony things I see why your downplaying Days gone, it's obvious. Days Gone is actually more impressive than Gears 5 overall in terms of visuals and gameplay for tht engine. Less static and still offers more dynamic events with great graphics. I have played Gears 5 and enjoyed the mp but was not blown away by the graphics.

On tht note this game looks better than both visually and can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Stig seems to deliver yet again. He is a terrific game director. Gonna buy this for next gen however. In fact, every high profile game that releases now and onward I will buy for next gen.

Evilms

Banned

Quick summary:

• The game runs on PS4 Pro in 2240x1260p/30fps Quality Mode and 1920x1080p/unlocked Framerate Performance Mode.
  • In Performance mode it's the same as the XB1 X even if on average the Pro version is slightly better.
  • The XB1 X version runs with slightly higher graphic settings in Performance mode.
  • It is also better to play in Quality Mode on PS4 Pro.

• PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1280x720 and the highest native resolution found being 1600x900. PS4 uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1920x1080.
  • PS4 Pro in the performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1344x756 and the highest native resolution found being 1600x900. PS4 Pro in the performance mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1920x1080.
  • PS4 Pro in the resolution mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1728x972 and the highest native resolution found being approximately 2136x1201. PS4 Pro in the resolution mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 2560x1440.
  • The PS4 version runs at ~30fps (much better than base XB1).
  • The PS4 Pro version runs in Quality Mode at ~30fps and Performance Mode at ~49fps.

Last edited:

Connxtion

I had to disable performance mode on the XB1X version. The pausing and juddering was doing me head in.

Still there is the odd feeling of lag/slowdown when running about in the normal mode but it’s far better than the constant juddering I was getting round every corner.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Given your post history and how you "neutrally" try to big up Microsoft and downplay Sony things I see why your downplaying Days gone, it's obvious. Days Gone is actually more impressive than Gears 5 overall in terms of visuals and gameplay for tht engine. Less static and still offers more dynamic events with great graphics. I have played Gears 5 and enjoyed the mp but was not blown away by the graphics.

On tht note this game looks better than both visually and can't wait to try it out.

Playing Internet cop doesn't put you in a respectable light either.

I watched the DF video of Days Gone and it is indeed impressive looking in motion. I would rate it better looking than Gears 5 because Gears 5 has horrible PBR shaders. I love how they used the tech even though there aren't many dynamic objects in the game that you can interact with. I haven't seen it in person as I don't have PS4 hardware anymore. Still, the overall presentation and asset quality of JFO is still superior.

Last edited:

Fbh

The good thing about these performance modes is that if next gen has some sort of "boost mode" that can improve performance without the need for games to be updated then games like this or Sekiro might run at 60fps from day 1 which would be nice

Quick summary:

• The game runs on PS4 Pro in 2240x1260p/30fps Quality Mode and 1920x1080p/unlocked Framerate Performance Mode.
  • In Performance mode it's the same as the XB1 X even if on average the Pro version is slightly better.
  • The XB1 X version runs with slightly higher graphic settings in Performance mode.
  • It is also better to play in Quality Mode on PS4 Pro.

• PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1280x720 and the highest native resolution found being 1600x900. PS4 uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1920x1080.
  • PS4 Pro in the performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1344x756 and the highest native resolution found being 1600x900. PS4 Pro in the performance mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1920x1080.
  • PS4 Pro in the resolution mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1728x972 and the highest native resolution found being approximately 2136x1201. PS4 Pro in the resolution mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 2560x1440.
  • The PS4 version runs at ~30fps (much better than base XB1).
  • The PS4 Pro version runs in Quality Mode at ~30fps and Performance Mode at ~49fps.

thank you for the breakdown

Nydius

As I mentioned in my post yesterday afternoon, this video pushed me from solid buy to solid rental since the One S is all I have right now. I grabbed it from the Redbox last night and let me just say that the video can't fully express just how badly these issues detract from the game. It's one thing to see them, it's quite another to experience them.

To be blunt: Combat on the One S is ruined. That may sound like hyperbole. I wish it were. Having constant frame drops during battles obliterates the timing element for your blocks/parries and dodge/evades. I wasn't through the first train sequence before the issues made me realize the inconsistent performance wipes away any degree of skill. This became abundantly clear on Bogano, especially the segment where you have four of the little burrowing worm creatures and an Oggdo to fight. The combination of my character, my lightsaber,, the creatures, their effects, and Bogano's fog effect turned the fight into a sub-20fps slide show. Trying to time my blocks against the Oggdo's tongue and charge attacks was futile. He'd telegraph his charge, I'd hold to block, the game would chug, and I'd be hit as the game slowly began my block animation.

World traversal and puzzle solving are equally affected but not to the same degree as the combat. I pushed through to Zeffo and spent another 90 minutes playing but these issues kept hindering play time and again.

There's a brilliant game here. Sadly I won't be able to experience it until I have a new PC or next gen console. I really hope none of the reviewers played this only on the One S for their review because these issues will seem like bugs and glitches that may negatively color their final review of the game.

Last edited:

Puskas

The PS4 seems to hold up surprisingly well in VG’s comparison video. Still gonna’ wait for DF’s verdict though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
With Cyberpunk coming in March, and next gen consoles in November, i'd just wait for the next gen version. In fact i still wouldnt be surprised if the game ends up getting delayed again and ends up next gen only.

Or Iger the Xbox version, play for a while, then install the Scarlett patch.

ManaByte

Gold Member
@4:50 in NxGamer's video, the Pro is missing the rain effects........?!

I don't know what's up with that video because the Xbox does not have a square button.

nv6JcUo.png

Esppiral

This is the vid i posted yesterday -

Does it look worse than that for you?
I mean you can see little drops, but it still looks smooth and not juddery

I just envy people that can't notice inconsistent frame rates, I've played like 5 hours of the game and it runs like in your vid, far from 60 fps most of the time and judger everywhere.

I also tried on my freesync monitor and it is much better though

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yea, after playing some more yesterday - I rarely see 60FPS @ 4k on a 2080Ti. Game is very inconsistent. If I lock to 30FPS or even 45FPS, I don't get the smooth 50FPS that I receive leaving it unlocked. I'll leave unlocked for now. Game is definitely pretty though.

jbgt1000

Neo Member
Regarding “Quality” mode... I have no option anywhere for this on my Xbox One X. There is a Performance mode option, but I can’t find the option for Quality mode anywhere in the options menu. Am I to assume that if Performance mode is off that Quality mode is the default?

Top Bottom