• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Steam Deck Gets Even Better: 40-60Hz Support, VRS, Refined Acoustics - Tested!

Jose92

[Membe
Presented by Gaf's favorite Digital foundry tech expert Alex Battaglia.

VRS tested 2% increase in performance for a lot worse image quality, more and more vrs in general seems like an overhyped feature. Even though this is not a fully featured vrs and a rather crude way of implementing vrs.

Screenshot-2022-05-08-204535.png

Screenshot-2022-05-08-211041.png

Last edited:
40Hz games is the new Holy Grail, hole fock.
Insomniac already did it, Sony should ensure that all it's first party games offer this mode. Would simplify things to much, forget performance and quality modes and stick with 40Hz.

JimboJones

You must be kidding me if after all the VRS hype it is something that isn't even worth using. That looks terrible.

Anyway, I think the next Steam Deck will be the one to get, still a lot of room for refinement.
It's a pretty "dumb" implementation of it, it's basically hitting the whole screen. It needs to be paired with information so it only effects parts of the screen that you wouldn't notice the degradation, not really sure why they bothered but maybe it will have it's uses in some cases or maybe they can improve it in the future.

yamaci17

40 fps becomes the new meta

i'm all for it. been using the 40 fps /120 hz vrr config since 2018. its such a good compromise point where you can push graphics and resolution further and still get a much much smoother experience than 30 fps. im so happy that it gets more attention. i've always suggested this to my friends but no one took it serious since it seemed weird to them "on paper".

It's a pretty "dumb" implementation of it, it's basically hitting the whole screen. It needs to be paired with information so it only effects parts of the screen that you wouldn't notice the degradation, not really sure why they bothered but maybe it will have it's uses in some cases or maybe they can improve it in the future.
Yea, it only makes sense if it goes unnoticed as promised when the technology was being promoted.

jesus christ, you clearly either didn't watch the video or didn't understand it. i hope for you that it's the first one.
Relax man, no need to get aggressive just because I'm not impressed by the technology. Feel free to use it if you think it's great.

Last edited:
You must be kidding me if after all the VRS hype it is something that isn't even worth using. That looks terrible.

Anyway, I think the next Steam Deck will be the one to get, still a lot of room for refinement.
No VRS is only going to improve and this is a terrible implementation of it anyway, Doom Eternal has a far better VRS and improves performance significantly.

Jose92

[Membe
VRS should be a hardware feature right? Does Steam Deck have a HARDWARE compatible with VRS?
steam deck's gpu is based upon the RDNA 2.0 architecture which is found in the next gen consoles. So yes it does.

The problem with this implementation is that it applies on all the shaders on the screen, but even with that the performance benefits are minimal.

Last edited:

TVexperto

of course the shills at DF once again dont mention the problems that arrive with new update: THE INPUT LAG WITH 40hz is SO HIGH now

TVexperto

interesting, is it a serious problem? do you have the hardware?
Yes I have it. Usually im not sensitive to input lag but I would rather take shorter battery life than the awful input lag 40hz adds.

• Upcapped: 31.8ms
  • 60fps cap: 75.8ms
  • 30fps cap: 145.9ms
  • 50hz/uncapped: 32.5ms
  • 50hz/50fps cap: 94.2ms
  • 50hz/25fps cap: 186.1ms
  • 40hz/uncapped: 34.3ms
  • 40hz/40fps cap: 121.1ms
  • 40hz/20fps cap: 232.0ms
40hz/40 fps has 120ms of input latency!!

That's pretty huge, how's no one noticing that?

Last edited:

yamaci17

Yes I have it. Usually im not sensitive to input lag but I would rather take shorter battery life than the awful input lag 40hz adds.

i think that can be fixed. maybe not. console games have lower vsync latency in certain games (witcher 3, battlefront 2 comes to my mind)i wonder what techniques they're using on consoles when it comes to vsync'ing

valve should look into it

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

You could always not use the framerate limiter. Using the framerate limiter is redundant in the first place since you can now arbitrarily set the refresh rate of the display to your own liking and pair it with vsync which limits the framerate to the displays refresh rate. Leave the framerate limiter uncapped.

Last edited:

Skyfox

Ugh

Of all the times to focus on input lag so closely...

We could have used this kind of attention for the last 3 years or the next 3 years but Valve push the envelope and they get this treatment?

I mean, great. We have a way to improve input lag now. We've needed it for a long time. Steamdeck being the proof point hurts.

TVexperto

You could always not use the framerate limiter. Using the framerate limiter is redundant in the first place since you can now arbitrarily set the refresh rate of the display to your own liking and pair it with vsync which limits the framerate to the displays refresh rate. Leave the framerate limiter uncapped.
thats true. im just happy i got one at all. i ordered like 5 hours after preorder started and got mine 2 weeks ago

Markio128

I’m kind of interested in picking one of these up, but they appear to be as elusive as rocking horse shit atm.

Calverz

Did you even watch the video. It’s used in gears 5 and explains why that game is still the best looking game of last generation.

Because there are people like you spreading FUD. It’s not being implemented correctly on the steam deck. If you watched the video, it would explain this to you.
If even when it's applied to everything (to the point it completely degrades the image) all you get is a 2% improvement in performance it is pretty much worthless. What am I missing?

Last edited:

Filben

Weirdly the issue is gone on my deck. Before the patch, shortly after the Deck's release, 30fps cap was unplayable for me because of the input latency I noticed instantly after picking up any game with it and I mentioned this on Reddit and somewhere here and didn't got any attention. Also friends of mine told me "hm, didn't notice the input delay", so I was truly wondering.

Now, after the "manual" refresh rate update this issue isn't anymore for me, too. So I genuinely wondering what is going here and if the cap alone is really introducing the increased latency or if there some settings or update branches or other things going on in the background causing this.

And typically I'm very sensible to input delay; that was the reason why I've got a Gsync monitor years ago because I hate screen tearing and couldn't bear v-sync induced increased input delay. At times, in shooters, v-sync was unplayable for me.

chinoXL

also for anyone that hasn't watched the vid, this is beta for the SteamDeck, so these features could improve on official release. this is cool to see how much support the deck is getting from Valve from feedback

Unrelated.
They talked mostly and demonstrated who much more smooth the screen and movement looks using 40Hz. This is a little game changer, have close to 60fps fluidity at much lower framerates, without resorting to VRR.
Besides this highlight DF still remains true even with your criticism. 40Hz even with 40fps cap still have less latency than the traditional 30fps cap. 40Hz uncapped have almost the same latency as uncapped.

As long as you know how it works and how it can benefits you I can't see any negatives here, and DF explained to you how you can explore this new settings to get the best results.

Calverz

If even when it's applied to everything (to the point it completely degrades the image) all you get is a 2% improvement in performance it is pretty much worthless. What am I missing?
🤦‍♂️ as I said. It’s not been implemented correctly on steam deck. You hear “VRS bad” and instantly think it’s bad in every case scenario. You have obviosuly heard Xbox uses vrs and instantly decide “well if it’s bad on steamdeck, it’s terrible on Xbox. Xbox bad”.

Riky

$MSFT
🤦‍♂️ as I said. It’s not been implemented correctly on steam deck. You hear “VRS bad” and instantly think it’s bad in every case scenario. You have obviosuly heard Xbox uses vrs and instantly decide “well if it’s bad on steamdeck, it’s terrible on Xbox. Xbox bad”.

Yes the Tier 2 implementation uses it on darker areas where it isn't going to be visible during gameplay, just putting it over the whole image is a bad implementation. Plus the performance gains on Gears 5 and Doom Eternal were far higher than 2%, more like 15%.

Calverz

Yes the Tier 2 implementation uses it on darker areas where it isn't going to be visible during gameplay, just putting it over the whole image is a bad implementation. Plus the performance gains on Gears 5 and Doom Eternal were far higher than 2%, more like 15%.
Yes. When used correctly it can be pretty effective. My guess is valve have just gone with an overall implementation here because it’s too much work to apply to games individually? I have no idea.

Riky

$MSFT
Yes. When used correctly it can be pretty effective. My guess is valve have just gone with an overall implementation here because it’s too much work to apply to games individually? I have no idea.

Looking at what The Coalition and id said it needs more work than flicking a switch so you're probably right.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Man, you're just on a streak of posting half baked things lately lol.

Alex *VERY CLEARLY* says THIS (the static steam deck) implementation of VRS is terrible while also giving an example of where it works with the Gears 5 example.

Last edited:

Calverz

Looking at what The Coalition and id said it needs more work than flicking a switch so you're probably right.
Ah ok. That explains why valve have done it this way. It’s good that it’s there as an option I suppose. Guess it all depends on the game you are playing and level of detail you want etc.

Wildebeest

he says frametimes. have u even watched the video?

frametime is a better metric for measuring smoothness
Yeah, I get that linearly raising framerate is not a linear increase in timing between frames. But, also, smoothness is perceptual and not accurately measured by either metric. It is partly based on even frame pacing, frame rate, type of motion, and based on artistic technique. If just relying on framerate then 60fps is not enough to consistently feel "smoothness".

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
IIRC, for Gears Tactics VRS Tier 2 there's a 7% performance increase for quality mode and a 16% performance increase for performance mode. In Wolfenstein Youngblood it's a 5% increase. On a big screen TV you need to use quality mode, but on a small screen like Deck you could get away with performance mode, most likely. I made a video comparing quality mode to normal mode.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
IIRC, for Gears Tactics VRS Tier 2 there's a 7% performance increase for quality mode and a 16% performance increase for performance mode. In Wolfenstein Youngblood it's a 5% increase. On a big screen TV you need to use quality mode, but on a small screen like Deck you could get away with performance mode, most likely. I made a video comparing quality mode to normal mode.

Checks out.

Gears Tactics reportedly had a 14% performance improvement on the consoles with no difference in perceptible IQ.

tygertrip

40 fps becomes the new meta

i'm all for it. been using the 40 fps /120 hz vrr config since 2018. its such a good compromise point where you can push graphics and resolution further and still get a much much smoother experience than 30 fps. im so happy that it gets more attention. i've always suggested this to my friends but no one took it serious since it seemed weird to them "on paper".
It's good, but a lot of us have TV's that don't support 120 hz @ 4K. We still need the performance and quality options. Actually, IMO, the best thing would be if the PS5 supported 1440p output (because my tv supports 1440@120, but 4k@ only 60, lol).

Top Bottom