• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Super Mario 3D All-Star Tech Review

Senua

Some of the textures are touched up so this is false. And it looks fucking great without significant improvements thanks to the resolution these old games output at. Mario 64 at 720p looks sharp as hell. Sunshine and Galaxy at 1080p likewise.

Not every collection/port has to be remade from the ground up. Is this your first HD collection ever?

Can't believe the fucking outrage over this collection, Jesus fuck.

As long as people can pull the stick out of their ass, they'll appreciate that these actually all look great. They all look super clean and they get better with each game. Galaxy definitely looks the best. Playing on my LG CX and it looks amazing.

If anything deserves complaints it would be the lack of control options, not the visuals.
Nah it looks way better on PC, if i'm paying full price for this I expect at least the best emulation can do, what a joke.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Some of the textures are touched up so this is false. And it looks fucking great without significant improvements thanks to the resolution these old games output at. Mario 64 at 720p looks sharp as hell. Sunshine and Galaxy at 1080p likewise.

Not every collection/port has to be remade from the ground up. Is this your first HD collection ever?

Can't believe the fucking outrage over this collection, Jesus fuck.

As long as people can pull the stick out of their ass, they'll appreciate that these actually all look great. They all look super clean and they get better with each game. Galaxy definitely looks the best. Playing on my LG CX and it looks amazing.

If anything deserves complaints it would be the lack of control options, not the visuals.
This is what a few modders achieved, with no money -

Accepting crap means we will continue to get crap. Nintendo being Nintendo.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Im playing it right now on Switch. It doesn't really look all that different. All the geometry is still exactly the same. I would take a wide-screen version for sure but thats really about it unless they do a full remake. I dont like the messed up colors and new models in the molded version.

The game looks pretty good on switch honestly.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It doesn't really look all that different.

yzC3ORt.jpg

20200918-211220.jpg

Totally :p

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Enjoy your full priced 10-20 year old emulated 'ports'.
I will, don't worry.

The reason people bring up emulators is because THEY DO IT BETTER, yet Nintendo are that focused on trying to get them shut down they don't realise the potential they're letting go to waste, all the issues mentioned in this video have already been done for emulators for years, Nintendo could've put some work in and at the very least took what code was already done (SM64 in Widescreen, Sunshine in 60fps) and used them for this.

And let's not even get started about the recompiled version of SM64 which has been shown running at 1080p60 on the Switch in Docked Mode and 720p60 in Handheld! The complaints are mainly WANTING Nintendo to at the very least try and match the improvements that have already been done and openly available.
You're only gonna emulate it anyway lol.

YCoCg

You're only gonna emulate it anyway lol.
See the thing is we understand Emulation is a niche thing, so it's always nice when a game gets the chance of incorporating these things in a mainstream release. There's literally zero downside to it, you get a better version of the game, Nintendo doesn't have to do any work, etc. All they have to do is actually communicate with the emulation community and they'll be on to a winner.

Another point being, I would've bought this if all the games were 60fps, granted I can give or take widescreen on SM64 as a design choice but the rest would've made this a nice package on the go instead of a cashgrab.

Bridges

No offense to the modders because I'm sure this took a great deal of effort, but I think the mod's character models look significantly worse than the original. It's clear they were trying to make it look more faithful to 64's key art, which is cool, and they kinda succeeded, but it just looks... wrong. The proportions look kinda bizarre.

Just look what they did to poor Koopa The Quick
652608_600x315.png

lefty1117

Gold Member
Playing these games reminds me just how fcking amazing Galaxy is. Just a piece of art really. Was that game really made 13 years ago??

jaysius

Banned
DF greatly disappointed but still high praise...these guys are the worst Nintendo fanbois. This and that Zelda GB port that was full of graphical issues that they mentioned and still loved and ignored.

Every other company gets the full brunt of DF with them laughing at all the oversights and giving a deserved grilling.

He even straight faced called this thing a REMASTER! Lol!

Last edited:
DF greatly disappointed but still high praise...these guys are the worst Nintendo fanbois. This and that Zelda GB port that was full of graphical issues that they mentioned and still loved and ignored.

Every other compact gets the full brunt of DF with them laughing at all the oversights and giving a deserved grilling.

tenor.gif

You need to pick your battles better my G, this is far from "high praise" and calling LA a fucking port is fucking stupid.

nkarafo

Another inferior way to play old games.

Just stick with homebrew emulators. They will always be the superior way to play retro games. More accurate emulation, less technical issues, more goodies and options.

Official emulation efforts were always sub par, especially from Nintendo.

Galaxy looks incredible, Sunshine looks very good (but could have been better) and 64 looks like ass, in my opinion. That added sharpness from the higher rendering resolution really doesn't do the game any favors? To me it's a lot more pleasing to look at the original really. I don't know too much about this stuff but couldn't they have added some sort of filter or something to smooth out those edges? Low poly models in high resolution with low resolution textures really is super unattractive.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
me whenever i see someone mention Dolphin and emulators like they are some new thing

interesting-tell-me-5b8189.jpg
That's not really the point in this case. The point is that Nintendo is capable of doing much better, yet they choose not to.

I wish they'd go the extra mile for their cherished classics.

JimboJones

Every other company gets the full brunt of DF with them laughing at all the oversights and giving a deserved grilling.

He even straight faced called this thing a REMASTER! Lol!
So now there Nintendo fanboys, Xbox biased and paid Nvidia shills.

Interesting.

bender

What time is it?
Sure. Any mid range PC from 5 years ago is able to run Galaxy 1/2 & Sunshine at 1080p at a better framerate using dolphin.

SM64 has been available on the Wii U for years at only $10 (Not dolphin related, but I thought I throw it out there).

Enjoy your full priced 10-20 year old emulated 'ports'.
tenor.gif

They insist on telling you their a vegan every chance they get. That's the joke anyhow.
Oh do we? Lol. Not heard that one before but I guess I do that.

It's better than people thinking you don't like cake or something. No, I like cake, just not with cow secretion and chicken period. I'd also rather not pay for male chicks to be suffocated in a plastic bag.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Oh do we? Lol. Not heard that one before but I guess I do that.

It's better than people thinking you don't like cake or something. No, I like cake, just not with cow secretion and chicken period. I'd also rather not pay for male chicks to be suffocated in a plastic bag.
Lol. No judgement. Just a old joke. "How do you tell if someone is Vegan? - Don't worry they will tell you."

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
We should be legally allowed to eat vegans. They would probably be a bit stringy but we need to cleanse the earth of their foul stench.

Vawn

Banned
I've only played Galaxy so far, but it is lookong and running great. It's a shame the entire collection isn't at this standard.

Fake

For those who can't stay one day without defending the Nintendo and ignore this is a Digital Foundry video thread, the game already have an OT.

Last edited:
For those who can't stay one day without defending the Nintendo and ignore this is a Digital Foundry video, the game already have a Super Mario 3D OT.

Fuck yeah, if you want to talk about great games jump in that thread and let's be happy. If you want to circle jerk about how much of a ripoff this is and how Nintendo exploits their fanbase, feel free to stick to this thread. I like this separation.

Fake

Fuck yeah, if you want to talk about great games jump in that thread and let's be happy. If you want to circle jerk about how much of a ripoff this is and how Nintendo exploits their fanbase, feel free to stick to this thread. I like this separation.

If you attack fire with gasoline, so yes. Haters and defenders are the same at least in the matter of offensive posts.

We should be legally allowed to eat vegans. They would probably be a bit stringy but we need to cleanse the earth of their foul stench.
That's a weird thing to say.

If no one ate, and therefore reared, livestock, the world would be in a better shape.

But never mind. Keep swilling down the chemical injected bone scrapings, nostrils and bollocks. Enjoy yourself.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

These guys did some nice work but Im not feeling all the changes. The Banjo Kazooie remasters on Xbox are done right. You can even play them in 4K now.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
That's a weird thing to say.

If no one ate, and therefore reared, livestock, the world would be in a better shape.

But never mind. Keep swilling down the chemical injected bone scrapings, nostrils and bollocks. Enjoy yourself.

And you feel free to remain at the bottom of the food chain eating bits of fucking kale and lettuce like an overgrown rabbit, while I dine like an apex predator.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Good idea. This thread has a vegan with opinions in it.

Pallas

Gold Member
I really wish Nintendo put more effort into these games and just remaster them. I am part of the problem though since I preordered a physical copy so I can’t say much.

Top Bottom