• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Tales of Arise PS5 vs Series X/S Tech Breakdown.

This game is using UE4 right? I thought that UE4 favoured playstation and didn't need any special work according to you....

PS, there are a shit ton of your replies in the Ghostrunner thread.
Wow perfectly stated! The idea that it was special hardware and not developer optimization was a always silly notion. UE4 can run fantastically on all types of hardware but the devs still have to put in the work. This confirms that yet again.

Last edited:

saintjules

The game isn't all that graphically impressive/demanding, so additional optimizations are probably needed for PS5. UE4 has some excellent temporal upsampling/DRS techniques.

Given that this is the first Tales title developed in UE4 by the Tales team, I can forgive them for their ignorant ways.

This is a huge jump when comparing to previous entries of the series. I personally think it's fine. They can only improve from here hopefully.

sncvsrtoip

This might be the biggest gap in all comparisons so far between Series X and PS5. Even Series S easily performs better than PS5.
is it ? its 20-30% perf advantage in quality mode not much far from 20-25% theoreticaly faster xsx gpu, as df said they should just use dynamic rest probably 1440p-4k on ps5 and 1620p-4k on xsx

Great Hair

Banned
"a biutiful game"
let me fix your face Oliver
fight punch GIF
hurt punch GIF by Yultron

First the $100 gift card and now dis ... too much for me to handle.
Donald Trump Water GIF by Election 2016

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Looks like we didn't get that 'optimization' this time on ps5. What a shame.
The game still plays pretty smooth in my eyes. Seriously if some of you guys get bothered this much by few pixels and frames then what the hell are guys doing playing on consoles? Buy a PC and be done with it.

Last edited:
Series X GPU power definitely appearing in a big way in that graphics mode. With no dynamic resolution in play the console with the stronger GPU will have a bigger advantage at native 4K in a more demanding title.

And that Series X 60fps mode is smooth as butter. Series X really representing itself very well. Series S is also meeting its mission objective. We'll done. They need to enable dynamic resolution for PS5 or just lower the resolution clearly for graphics mode and maybe for frame rate mode as well. Either that or just optimize better where possible.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Wow perfectly stated! The idea that it was special hardware and not developer optimization was a always silly notion. UE4 can run fantastically on all types of hardware but the devs still have to put in the work. This confirms that yet again.
So this time the xbox got the 'optimization' and the PlayStation didn't? What gives?

xion4360

I wonder if they could port this to UE5, then nanite would eliminate the pop in, since its mostly with the static world objects.

or at least for the next game.

I beat it on PS5. I remember posting a couple months ago about the shadow issues on PS5 and folks told me it was my CX on here lol.

At 5:58 on hes literally reproducing the same thing I uploaded and complained about and he talks about it. Glad to know I wasn't crazy lmao

Last edited:

Skifi28

It's rare to see such a delta these days, but it's not like either version is bad. I'd be pretty happy with the PS5 version's performance mode honestly.

Loxus

I find it weird everyone is saying XBSX has a big performance advantage, but I don't see it.

There was no side by side comparison, not to mention XBSX also drops in the 30s at the 9m19s mark.

5gd79kh.png

1JhIIKo.png

I hope Digital Foundry isn't purposely withholding findings to make XBSX look good?

onQ123

was it? What about the other 30+ posts in that thread?

At the end of the day, all this proves is that the game is only is good as the people making it.

I stand by what I said in that thread the game running better on PS5 isn't because it was optimized more on PS5 it's because the game as is ran better on PS5 they wouldn't go out of their way to optimize the PS5 more & not do the same with Xbox Series X when the game received the update at the same time.

What't up with this trend of Series X games becoming better than PS5 versions?
In this particular case, I wonder if they developed mainly for Xbox and did minor porting job to PlayStation. The marketing is certainly Xbox-centric.

Isn’t this using unreal engine? It certainly has that “unreal look” (shimmering etc).

Riky

$MSFT
I find it weird everyone is saying XBSX has a big performance advantage, but I don't see it.

There was no side by side comparison, not to mention XBSX also drops in the 30s at the 9m19s mark.

5gd79kh.png

1JhIIKo.png

I hope Digital Foundry isn't purposely withholding findings to make XBSX look good?

He clearly shows that there are drops in the framerate mode on PS5 whilst Series X is a locked 60fps.
He then says 60fps is a "rarity" on PS5 in graphics mode whilst normal on Series X.
It's pretty obvious Series X performs better.

Zathalus

In this particular case, I wonder if they developed mainly for Xbox and did minor porting job to PlayStation. The marketing is certainly Xbox-centric.

Isn’t this using unreal engine? It certainly has that “unreal look” (shimmering etc).
I find it super unlikely that a Tales game was developed for Xbox first. The previous three Tales games are not even available on Xbox.

Loxus

He clearly shows that there are drops in the framerate mode on PS5 whilst Series X is a locked 60fps.
He then says 60fps is a "rarity" on PS5 in graphics mode whilst normal on Series X.
It's pretty obvious Series X performs better.
No reason to get all defensive.

How do you know that, without side by side comparisons.
Not to mention not mentioning XBSX also drops in to the 30s in the frame graph.

5gd79kh.png

1JhIIKo.png

Well there should be other sites taking a look at this so you will probably get your side by sides with them. VGTech tends to be very good with them.

This game isn't pushing 4K 60fps with ray-tracing & there isn't a 120fps mode. Ghostrunner isn't the same as this game.
So only with the power of the PS5 a game can game run 4k 60fps with raytracing? Still haven't heard a good reason Medium has raytracing on Xbox and PS5 did not especially with your claims.

I'll stick with what Leyasu Leyasu said and go with games being as good as the time developers take with it. Both consoles are capable of delivering similar performance.

Last edited:

Loxus

Well there should be other sites taking a look at this so you will probably get your side by sides with them. VGTech tends to be very good with them.
Yea, I get the console war stuff.
You can literally see it all on the first page.

Not aimed at you, but there is no reason to be upset with me.
Be upset with DF for showing XBSX also drops into the 30s.
@9m19s mark.
LJha9Ad.png

onQ123

So only with the power of the PS5 a game can game run 4k 60fps raytracing? Still haven't heard a good reason Medium has raytracing on Xbox and PS5 did not especially with your claims.

I'll stick with what Leyasu Leyasu said and go with games being as good as the time developers take with it. Both consoles are capable of delivering similar performance.
SMH if that's how you read it.

The Medium didn't have raytracing when it was 1st released on Xbox Series X either. Also The Medium has a higher resolution on PS5.

No one said that only PS5 could do 4K 60fps with raytracing , People tried to claim that Xbox Series X didn't receive optimization & I pointed out that this was the 1st time someone even tried native 4K 60fps with raytracing on these consoles.

Last edited:

Zathalus

No reason to get all defensive.

How do you know that, without side by side comparisons.
Not to mention not mentioning XBSX also drops in to the 30s in the frame graph.
I think it's pretty obvious XSX has the lead on performance here. I see no reason why DF would try to make the XSX look better, they have never shied away from showing games that have performance advantages on PS5. Besides, the video findings match what Elanalistadebits found as well.

Leyasu

Banned
By the way we can go into the Ghostrunner thread if you want to talk about Ghostrunner it's clear it's still eating you up inside
I don't think that the Ghostrunner thread is eating anyone up.

But you made a lot claims in that thread regarding higher clocks, ROPs, one system being bottlenecked and that UE just favored the PS5. What happened?

onQ123

I don't think that the Ghostrunner thread is eating anyone up.

But you made a lot claims in that thread regarding higher clocks, ROPs, one system being bottlenecked and that UE just favored the PS5. What happened?

I said nothing about UE favoring PS5 I said the game setup favored PS5

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
O onQ123 can you explain what’s happening here? A full sized Japanese team and this kind of difference? I guess large open world rpgs don’t favour the ps5 design? Or does it just need a patch or two on the ps5?

Top Bottom