• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] The Ascent for Xbox/PC: The Digital Foundry Tech Review

GymWolf

You typed that with a straight face, didn’t you?
No, i usually use my bi-sex face to write about cyberpunk games.

But to return serious, yes, because i extensively played all the 3 games and that's what i think.

Rerape has a fuckload of low res textures and not every locations is evenly detailed, and his best city is nothing compared to the geometry and npc density of the ascent.

Same for cyberpunk, it looks incredible then kinda bad after 2 sec, too uneven and too much minor graphical glitch at launch like no shadows and shit (and i played that game on pc for like 80 hours)

Maybe ratchet is not inferior in geometry density but playing the ascent in some specific zones the density was almost overwhelming, never had that sensation while playing the space city level in the latest iteration of ratchet, but maybe i was tricked by the isometric view.

Did you extensevely played all these games and the ascent or it's just your brain incapable of thinking that a small indie team can achieve these results?! Because if there is something that EVERYONE is praising for this game, it's the incredible graphic.

Don't get fooled by the isometric view, the density and details are incredible in this game.

P.s. like i said before, the characters are ok but inferior to all the games i listed, i was mostly talking about the locations.

Last edited:

Markio128

Yes because i extensively played all the 3 games and that's what i think.

Rerape has a fuckload of low res textures and not every locations is evenly detailed, and his best city is nothing compared to the geometry and npc density of the ascent.

Same for cyberpunk, it looks incredible then kinda bad after 2 sec, too uneven and too much minor graphical glitch at launch like no shadows and shit (and i played that game on pc for like 80 hours)

Maybe ratchet is not inferior in geometry density but playing the ascent in some specific zones the density was almost overwhelming, never had that sensation while playing the space city level in the latest iteration of ratchet, but maybe i was tricked by the isometric view.

Did you extensevely played all these games and the ascent or it's just your brain incapable of thinking that a small indie team can achieve these results?! Because if there is something that EVERYONE is praising for this game, it's the incredible graphic.

Don't get fooled by the isometric view, the density and details are incredible in this game.

P.s. like i said before, the characters are ok but inferior to all the games i listed, i was mostly talking about the locations.
Woah dude, I was only kidding. If you think the Ascent looks better than those games you mentioned, then fair enough. To me, Resogun still looks better than most games - platinumed that sucker and I have a lot of love for indie games In general. To me, it is the visuals that remain in memory that will always be my faves and none of the games you mentioned are on that list. Rez is another example of one of my all time fave visual games - timeless.

GymWolf

Woah dude, I was only kidding. If you think the Ascent looks better than those games you mentioned, then fair enough. To me, Resogun still looks better than most games - platinumed that sucker and I have a lot of love for indie games In general. To me, it is the visuals that remain in memory that will always be my faves and none of the games you mentioned are on that list. Rez is another example of one of my all time fave visual games - timeless.
I'm sorry if i sounded rude, it was the brain line? I thought about changing it but my english vocabulary is not that big and i wasn't sure of selling my point with different words.

I was not mad or confrontational if this can make you feel better.

Last edited:

Markio128

I'm sorry if i sounded rude, it was the brain line? I thought about changing it but my english vocabulary is not that big and i wasn't sure of selling my point with different words.

I was not mad or confrontational if this can make you feel better.
No worries matey. Sometimes my humour misses the spot haha. I respect anybody who is honest.

Markio128

Sometimes i miss the entire damn planet, don't worry about it.
Your English seems good to me, I would never have questioned it. Where is home, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m from the UK, so our humour is difficult for most other countries to comprehend haha.

GymWolf

Your English seems good to me, I would never have questioned it. Where is home, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m from the UK, so our humour is difficult for most other countries to comprehend haha.
I'm from italy and i love british comedies, maybe it's just your humor that stinks.

:ROFLMAO:

Markio128

I'm from italy and i love british comedies, maybe it's just your humor that stinks.

:ROFLMAO:
Well, Italy is my 2nd fave country - spent some good times there. I have a good friend from Sicily as well - obviously, I avoided him for a while after the Euros.

sendit

In some locations, this game has more geometry density than ratchet space city, i'm really impressed.

To me, it honestly looks better than cyberpunk2077 or ff7 rerape (the last 2 cyberpunk\steampunk games i played). (except the characters, too plasticky)

Are you legally blind?

Armorian

Banned

And performance 1440p

kXi46nb.jpg
GfZ0mQP.jpg

6700XT vs 3070 and 6800...

This card is lol worthy

michael-jordan-crying.jpg

Oh and GP version is broken and has missing features...

sendit

21:9 support is broken (maybe in all versions right now)
no working RT
no DLSS

Lol, maybe thats why the game looks like crap to me ATM. Gamepass version here with an ultrawide monitor.

This is most likely the the certification process each patch has to go through when pushing a game to the Xbox eco system. Steam probably a more streamlined process.

GymWolf

Lol, maybe thats why the game looks like crap to me ATM. Gamepass version here with an ultrawide monitor.

This is most likely the the certification process each patch has to go through when pushing a game to the Xbox eco system. Steam probably a more streamlined process.
It also lack the day one patch.

martino

Yes because i extensively played all the 3 games and that's what i think.

Nha,
i think that when a mod will give us tps or fps view you will regret that post.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nha,
i think that when a mod will give us tps or fps view you will regret that post.
Well duh.

I'm judgying what i see NOW, and from this view the game is great.

For now (2 hours in) the game is less uneven then both ff7 and cb2077, it's constantly good everywhere, and the geometry density for an indie title is mind blowing, i'm absolute shit and lazy when it comes to take screenshoot on pc (or everywhere really) but i wanted to show you the exact location that blowed my mind.

Maybe the highs of cb and ff are higher, but for me being evenly good is very important.

The big flaw are the characters, they need some sort of 4k texture package.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If it makes you feel better, dlss is borked on steam version for a lot of people too.

(Yes i have the latest nvidia drivers, i can turn dlss on but i have zero performance gains)

Last edited:

elbourreau

Has the gamepass version been patched, yet?

Shame that steam version only has all the bells and whistles.... :/

Top Bottom