• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: The Ascent - PS5 vs Xbox Series X - The DF Tech Review - All PlayStation Versions Tested!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Formerly an Xbox console exclusive, The Ascent is finally available for all PlayStation 4/PlayStation 5 consoles. Oliver Mackenzie tests all versions, stacking them up against the Xbox experience. The Ascent might now be a year old - but the port to PlayStation is excellent and the game itself is well worth checking out.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
* PS5: Typical 1800p. PS4 Pro: Typical 1440p. Base PS4: Typical 900p
* Some DRS may be in effect
* Ground detail and distant shadow map, real time shadow map, bloom lighting, DoF and number of background NPCs takes a hit between PS5 and PS4.
* PS4 Pro is a middle ground and had some settings from PS5 ( DoF, NPC, Bloom) and other similar to PS4.

* PS5 and SX stack up identically with minor object/NPC placement differences.
* SX had a slight camera skipping issue and some performance dips in 50s.
* PS5 has both of the issues present but is still mostly very solid.
* PS5 and SX seems to trade some dropped frames in different places.

* PS4 and Pro lock at 30 FPS. Both suffer from stutter, asset streaming issues near constantly.
* Between the stutters, it runs fine without frame pacing issues.
* Pre-release patched PS4 and Pro had unlocked frame rate and both ran at 900p.
* PS4 Pro was a very solid near 60 FPS in smaller areas but dropped heavily during city.
* Which explains why it was locked to 30 FPS.

* XBO and One X had 2+ minute load times for the initial load.
* Load times are much faster on PS4 and Pro, almost half of XBO and One X. However it's 2x the install size so has more duplication.
* PS5 has 42 second load times compared to 38 seconds on Series X.

Last edited:

Markio128

42 seconds to load on PS5!?
what year is it GIF

Great game. Well worth the time.

Although the backtracking in some areas did get tedious.

Forget the nit picking of performance etc. it’s a solid game

Varteras

Gold Member
I tried it on GamePass. The game fucks, sorry... makes love to, your eyeballs with its effects, color, and lighting. It's a visual feast. But sadly, I got bored with it quickly. The boss fights were neat but everything you do in between them just felt like a slog.

Darsxx82

A very good game that comes wrapped under a sublime visual and artistic work.

It is incredible that it is the work of only 12 people and has those production values. PS users, you have to give it a try.

P.S. Are they using the latest version of XBOX? Some gameplay cuts are the same as the first video of the launch and since then it has seen many patches and updates.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I'm glad the game was on GamePass, not worth a dime, has some great ideas but they all fall short, I had huge high hopes for it too, but it was too tedious and dull, I was playing it solo, maybe it's one of those YOU NEED TO PLAY IS CO-OP BRO games.

Has the game been patched to be any better on Xbox Series X? Or is it still full of odd bugs?

From this tech breakdown it looks like the dev doesn't understand how to develop console games at all.

Last edited:
Where are the non-crossgen AAA multiplatform games so that anyone will actually honestly care for any sort of comparison like this? At this rate DF will have to close down before we get there.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm glad the game was on GamePass, not worth a dime, has some great ideas but they all fall short, I had huge high hopes for it too, but it was too tedious and dull, I was playing it solo, maybe it's one of those YOU NEED TO PLAY IS CO-OP BRO games.

From this tech breakdown it looks like the dev doesn't understand how to develop console games at all.
Everyone should ignore this post. "Not worth a dime." Give me a break. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but this is completely, objectively absurd.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
* Ground detail and distant shadow map, real time shadow map, bloom lighting, DoF and number of background NPCs takes a hit between PS5 and PS4.
* PS4 Pro is a middle ground and had some settings from PS5 ( DoF, NPC, Bloom) and other similar to PS4.

* PS4 and Pro lock at 30 FPS. Both suffer from stutter, asset streaming issues near constantly.
* PS4 Pro was a very solid near 60 FPS in smaller areas but dropped heavily during city.

* Load times are much faster on PS4 and Pro, almost half of XBO and One X. However it's 2x the install size so has more duplication.
You come out with these summaries pretty quickly after the video comes out. Do we have an undercover Digital Foundry guy here? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

One OBJECTIVE view to another.

If this game wasn't on GamePass it would be a hard pass, if I had bought it, I'd feel let down.
I don't want to hype up people needlessly. I get that some people don't like the game. But some of the hate seems exaggerated to me, big time. I honestly don't understand it, but I guess that's your perspective. I was shocked at how impressive the game is on multiple fronts. 🤷‍♂️ Graphics, art design, lore, weapons. It's not even an expensive game.

Only flaws I'd say I saw are some side quests being filler, map being a bit odd to use at first, and some areas with poor combat balancing. But I was able to still beat the whole game without much trouble playing solo.

Last edited:

Banned

adding to that, Series X runs at a dynamic 2160p, Series S at a dynamic 1440p, One X at a dynamic 2160p and Xbox One/S at a dynamic 900p

since all of these are dynamic, I almost bet all the PlayStation versions also use a dynamic res, would be weird if not tbh.

Last edited:
adding to that, Series X runs at a dynamic 2160p, Series S at a dynamic 1440p, One X at a dynamic 2160p and Xbox One/S at a dynamic 900p

since all of these are dynamic, I almost bet all the PlayStation versions also use a dynamic res, would be weird if not tbh.

Probably dynamic 2160P to be fair.

Banned
Hopefully VGtech does a better job. I'm expecting both to be extremely close though.

I guess since they release less videos on average and have noone commentating which in return mens cutting their videos and editing is way faster, they have way more time looking into small details. hence why they have way more detailed info on stuff like dynamic res ranges etc.

I guess since they release less videos on average and have noone commentating which in return mens cutting their videos and editing is way faster, they have way more time looking into small details. hence why they have way more detailed info on stuff like dynamic res ranges etc.

I know everyone loves their charts. That's one thing I would love to see sites like DF do.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
42 second load times, yikes.

No, but that's pretty bad, and a clear sign of an "unambitious" PS4 -> PS5 port that hasn't been rewritten to take advantage of the new storage APIs etc. Basically they just took the PS4 version, upped some of the graphics settings, and ticked the "build for PS5" box.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That loading time has no place in PS5 :(
The game basically never loads again during your playthrough.
Yes its still high I do wonder what its doing.
But being a diablo-lite each of your sessions will be fairly long and the game will basically never load anything again until you reboot.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The new guy at DF failed to mention Series X version is running mostly at 4k compared to 1800p of PS5.
It was only labelled as XSX vs PS5 for the clicks.
The video is actually a PS5 tech review with a few mentions of the XSX version.

Top Bottom