• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: The Ascent - PS5 vs Xbox Series X - The DF Tech Review - All PlayStation Versions Tested!

Tripolygon

Banned
The new guy at DF failed to mention Series X version is running mostly at 4k compared to 1800p of PS5.
Go on, point out where they say it’s mostly 4K on series X. Digital Foundry said the highest resolution was 4K but it is highly dynamic and uses TSR to upscale to 4K.

For those curious about the basic image quality metrics, Unreal's temporal image treatment is applied to each version with variable starting resolutions. Xbox Series X rests firmly at the top of the console pile - it targets a maximum of native 4K and uses dynamic resolution scaling to keep the frame-rate up. It's highly dynamic but manages to look crisp and clean. Image quality is superb. Really, though, all versions use dynamic resolution scaling with variable ceilings. Xbox One X tops out at 4K like Series X, Series S tops out at 1440p and Xbox One tops out at 900p. All versions can and do vary pixel counts based on GPU load

Last edited:

Fredrik

Barely missed the top spot for GOTY 2021 for me, beat out by Dread.

One of my favorite games.
Yeah it was fantastic. One of the most unfairly rated games by critics lately, I don’t know if they expected another type of game or if the review code was trash. I had it on my top 5 as well last year, and Metroid Dread was my #1 too 🤝

I hope it ends up on Playstation Plus, I want to experience dual sense haptics, it was cool enough on XSX from the fantastic sound design alone but having that sweet gun noise synced up with haptics too must be something else!

A sequel needs to happen!

GHG

Gold Member
But…he owns ALL DA SYSTEMS

agencylife advertisement GIF by MX Player

I was actually trying to take the piss in general as it seems crazy to me to war over these types of games. I should add a /s just to make it obvious.

Well this is a bit awkward now:

TTPnM2T.jpg

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Reaction GIF by E!

Last edited:

manfestival

Played and beat the game on gamepass. This is a very solid title that is fun. The story is kind of whatever but it works. The gameplay and graphics are what kept me going. Eventually you need a self healing type of build if you want to make it in end game.

Darkmage is a cool dude. No reason to feel awkward.
I'll always trust the people who actually own the systems they talk about over the acolytes who are just fighting against the imaginary evils of the system they don't own and will never buy. There was nothing wrong with what you said and you have always been fair and even handed. Don't let the agenda dudes get under your skin.

On topic this was a fantastic game and awesome addition to Game pass. The atmosphere was super impressive for so few developers. They could teach a thing or two to CD PR.

ZywyPL

Banned
The load times on both next gen platforms are horrific

The bright side is that there's just this one initial loading and from there on it's pretty much a seamless experience, only using the elevator or taxi to change the level/fast travel has any loadings at all.

TexMex

I got the PS5 version and finished the platinum trophy a couple of weeks ago.

I loved the game, but it ran like total shit. Massive slowdown in spots, I think this video really undersells how annoying they are. When they say they only come up in combat intensive areas, that wasn't my experience but also, most of the game is combat intensive so it is constantly happening. And the load times, even fast traveling between markers in the same area, were atrocious. Half my play time was looking at a load screen. There were times when I would just run/roll from one area to the next just to avoid sitting in a load.

Can't imagine how terribly this feels on a PS4.

TonyK

I want to purchase it but metacritic user reviews for ps5 version put me off. What's the problem with the game? Repetitive, boring...?

Fredrik

Played and beat the game on gamepass. This is a very solid title that is fun. The story is kind of whatever but it works. The gameplay and graphics are what kept me going. Eventually you need a self healing type of build if you want to make it in end game.
I absolutely loved the action, top down view is always nice, the cover system was brilliant, and you actually had to think and experiment with weapons to progress. Energy weapon and spider bots was my fav, flame thrower was fun too, and the sound for most weapons was so good. Late game top floor had me going wow so many times, no spoilers for those who haven’t tried it yet but oh my the design variety is just sublime.

Kuranghi

I wish this had a native 4K@30fps mode on PS5, the game has insane levels of detail that benefit from native 4K. Even maybe get some console-level RT in there with the leftover performance from capping to 30fps.

I'll probably just go back to my PC copy in this case, although did they ever fix the shader compilation and loading stutter in the PC version? It was pretty horrendous and I'm guessing the stutter they show in the console version here is in the PC version on top of that, just rubbish really.

That loading time has no place in PS5 :(
I am really surprised at the load time. Like, the PS5 IO speed is hardware. There's no optimisation required. In game asset streaming can be effected by the game engine and coding of the devs, but that initial dump of data into the RAM should just be straight speed?
Not sure what's going on.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I want to purchase it but metacritic user reviews for ps5 version put me off. What's the problem with the game? Repetitive, boring...?

You shouldn't rely on user scores, they're the worst barometer.

Watch game play clips and streams and see if you like what you see.

Probably dynamic 2160P to be fair.
Yeah DF said Dynamic 4k for XSX and even Xbox One X, and they said typical 1800P for PS5. It could be up to 4k on XSX and typical 1800P as well.
The thing is DRS changes so quickly during gameplay that it's pretty hard to compare.
And let's be honest, like anyone here can spot the difference between 1800P and 4k.
Looks like both versions are a wash, which is great.

Banned
Yeah DF said Dynamic 4k for XSX and even Xbox One X, and they said typical 1800P for PS5. It could be up to 4k on XSX and typical 1800P as well.
The thing is DRS changes so quickly during gameplay that it's pretty hard to compare.
And let's be honest, like anyone here can spot the difference between 1800P and 4k.

if you actually play a game on a big 4K TV you can easily tell if a game is native or not. so you definitely can, even with less detailed games.
I instantly saw when Immortals went from below 4K to native even tho that game has cartoonish graphics for example.

fixed pixel grid displays make it pretty easy to tell if a game is sub native or not.

but yeah, I bet both are dynamic 4K. but "even Xbox One X"... I mean of course even on One X... as that version runs at 30fps like every last gen version, so a console that has a GPU that is about 50% as powerful is expected to run a game at the same res if you half the framerate due to CPU constraints, so One X being dynamic 4K30 compared to SX being dynamic 4K60 makes total sense, especially since it runs lower settings as well on top of that

This game reminds me how much I would love a remake of Loaded and Reloaded on the new consoles.

ha Re-Loaded was my first PS1 game ever. I bought my first PS1 off of my cousin who sold his back in the day, and he gave me Reloaded with it... not really age appropriate for a 9yo but hey xD
especially in Germany where this game is on the BPjM Index lol
[comparable to the AO Age Rating in the US, so not allowed to openly display in the store outside of a 18+ only area, and you can't put up adverts for it... also most stores wouldn't sell "Indizierte" games, which I heard is also the case in the US with AO rated stuff]

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Played it on PC (bought it) and enjoyed it for about 10 hours. The loading and having to constantly visit the same area so many times got annoying.

The world is very well done though and the gameplay is exciting.

Yes that would make sense and your right that it would be difficult to compare the two.

Schnozberry

This game is definitely worth a playthrough if you enjoy looter shooters, and the Cyberpunk theme. The story is kind of generic, but the atmosphere and the build variety make up for it.

If the PS5 is on par with the Series X in performance it's a good experience.

Rea

This guy doesn't understand how streaming data technology work. Is he saying ps4 version has more Duplicate assets than xbox? Both is running on HDD, so both must have Duplicate assets. The reason why xbox has smaller data size is that dev might be using different compression technology than on ps4. The more data is compressed, the longer time to decompress.

So what's up with the different metacritic scores for the game when it released on Xbox Series (68) compared to the release on PS5 (76)?
They arnt downplaying the meme of reviewers making PlayStation games higher at all lol.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So what's up with the different metacritic scores for the game when it released on Xbox Series (68) compared to the release on PS5 (76)?
They arnt downplaying the meme of reviewers making PlayStation games higher at all lol.
9 reviews vs 34 reviews

I know Xbox fans on twitter love to point out a conspiracy to prove media bias, but they don't realize that reviews from PlayStation Universe and PlayStation Country aren't going to be posted under the Xbox metacritic section.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Different reviewers, different number of reviewers etc.

The game is not any different so it's not like you're getting any different experience.

Top Bottom