• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] The Medium PS5: Big Changes vs Xbox Series X + PC Comparisons

acm2000

So basically they saw most people moaned about the low Res, so they disabled/turned down the hard stuff just to increase the Resolution, rather than working on it properly to improve things.

Rea

Avengers is the same res in the graphics mode. Blame the devs for keeping the shitty CB from the Pro in the other mode.
It also partly due to dev's incompetency in using CB rendering. Look at the games like GOW, HZ ZD, Death stranding, those game use CB so well that the visual quality are almost 4k like.

It also partly due to dev's incompetency in using CB rendering. Look at the games like GOW, HZ ZD, Death stranding, those game use CB so well that the visual quality are almost 4k like.
Sure but beware at Death Stranding on PS5. This version is now running at native resolution, witout CBR, in all modes (1800p, 4K widescreen with top/down black bars, 4K).

Reactions: Rea

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Stop making stuff and putting words in people's mouths. Said nothing about VRR making a games frame rate raster, what VRR does is smooth out any dropped frames, so to the player, the game is completely smooth..
You being aggressive aside, I had already agreed about removing the effect of stuttering or tearing due to frame rate fluctuations, but If you have a game with VRR enabled at 51 FPS it will feel momentarily slower than when the game is sitting at 60 FPS. VRR is a good addition, but has problems on some TV’s and it is not a panacea encouraging devs not to optimise framerate.

I find it very odd that DF says a game with fewer effects and a downgrade to RT looks better, that's all.
Sure, they explained why though. You may disagree but unless you are positing PS5 could not have handled the original quality settings and res, you have the title developers also agreeing with them. So, why is it odd?

Rikkori

They should've disabled RTAO across the board. They made the right call with the PS5 version. Even on PC with an RX 6800 I can always see what heavy sacrifice I have to make in terms of both res & fps if I start enabling various RT options. With RDNA 2 you really only turn on RT when it's a transformative change, f.ex. Metro Exodus, or darker games where the res drops is less noticeable (f.ex Control) and maybe the effect + context is just right (f.ex. WD:L, CP2077 reflections in a city and/or with rain), or you have console-command level of control over settings (f.ex. The Ascent, Doom Eternal).

Lysandros

This reminded me of Little Nightmares 2 situation where the PS5 version had RT for reflections contrary to XSX which used SSR for them. But the resolution difference in favor of XSX wasn't as large as in medium and PS5 still had the performance advantage despite featuring RT. Another difference is that PS5 still has RT for reflections here (Medium) at reduced quality but not RTAO.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Maybe with the settings on the Xbox they thought that was acceptable, maybe when they tried the same settings on PS5 it dropped to low so they cut back on some things? They should have options for both settings on each console.

not an amazing game anyway really

This reminded me of Little Nightmares 2 situation where the PS5 version had RT for reflections contrary to XSX which used SSR for them. But the resolution difference in favor of XSX wasn't as large as in medium and PS5 still had the performance advantage despite featuring RT. Another difference is that PS5 still has RT for reflections here (Medium) at reduced quality but not RTAO.

Hey, another anomaly for PS5. It doesn't count.

Neo_game

They need to update the SX version to these setting as well. It could also be the dev decided to use different settings based on the console strength as PS5 is better in rasterization and SX is in compute/RT. Since the performance is not much DRS is the best way to scale the game. It seems too heavy and not well optimized.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Dude im not going to continue this as its clearly bothering you. If you dont see how what you posted is cope the i dont know what to tell you, its the structure of your post. Again i said i agree with your conclusion.

Edit. I got an analogy for you. Its like you come over to my house an my dad is working out in the garage. Your like wholly fuck your dad is strong as shit, but then are like but but my dad is strong but he only does chest so whatever.

Well it is a thread about a video with comparisons.....
You seem to have this odd mentality that just because i mention the seriesX its a form of cope.
You need to get out of this whole console war mentality.
Your analogy would make more sense if we were watching a show comparing our dads working out before i came round

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Framerate doesn’t matter.
Resolution doesn’t matter.

I’m interested to see where the goal posts and up considering they are already in the parking lot.

The back and forth arguments in these comparison threads are getting a bit insane. I can't keep up anymore so I stopped trying.

Seems to me most of these comparisons are only really showing minute differences that no one will ever notice. And the differences that are noticeable seem to be patched eventually. I know these debates will rage on forever regardless but for me they seem to get more and more pointless.

The back and forth arguments in these comparison threads are getting a bit insane. I can't keep up anymore so I stopped trying.

Seems to me most of these comparisons are only really showing minute differences that no one will ever notice. And the differences that are noticeable seem to be patched eventually. I know these debates will rage on forever regardless but for me they seem to get more and more pointless.
Agreed. If I need a video to break down every single dropped frame, and dissect every last pixel in order for me to notice the difference, then it's probably not worth arguing about. If the difference is that noticeable, then I wouldn't DF to tell me.

Top Bottom