• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Trek to Yomi - The Digital Foundry Tech Review - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/S

SLB1904

Banned
"This doesn't have an impact on clarity, however - the pixels are still mapped normally. Even factoring this in, pixel counts aren't particularly relevant, such is the level of post-processing. Series S at circa-964p looks similar, but a little blurrier than PS5/Series X's circa-1602p."

"Series S, curiously, has a substantial frame-rate advantage, typically leading the more powerful machines by around five frames per second in matching footage"

"This is a sort of unofficial 'performance mode' that tangibly improves performance, particularly on Series S, which now hits 60fps much more frequently"

"VRR definitely helps too - especially so on Xbox with its wider supported display refresh window"

The ps4 version on ps5 still better

elliot5

war GIF

Not even 1080p on the S? Christ.
It's letterboxed. It pushes more pixels than 1080p.

Fail Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Roberts

Yeah, aesthetically this one nails the tone of Japanese samurai pictures - especially the ones that were shot in scope. And I'm not talking just Kurosawa, but also movies like Three Outlaw Samurai etc. The way the highlights get blown out in the background is perfect. But I guess all that post-processing takes a toll on the performance.

I finished it on XsX and I don't think the gameplay is all that bad. A bit janky (You press block while the enemy attacks but is out of your reach, you magically get moved closer to him), but I liked the way different enemies have different tactics and makes you want to try out different moves. That said, it is not particularly hard even on hard difficulty at least as long as controls register. Anyway, speaking of framerate - I think there was only one moment in the whole game where it felt like it hit 60 fps (on the roof) and mostly stays in the 40's. It never feels unplayable, because the camera is mostly static, but, yeah, they could have try and optimise it better.

Last edited:

scydrex

Why would they care? If they bought a series S, they are far from tech enthusiasts wading through faceoffs. We are told they are casuals, remember?

PS4 version outperforms all of the above
The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Well yeah that´s true the Serie S are for casual they should not care about resolution or FPS.
If the PS4 version outperform the others then is the best option for FPS.

intbal

Oliver didn't mention whether or not you can turn off the visual effects on Series S like he did with the SX/PS5.
I assume you can. And that doing so also nets the same ~5fps boost in performance. So Series S would probably stay near 60hz the majority of the time.
Since this game is also available on 8th gen machines, I'd like to know if there are differences in settings between 8th-9th gen versions. Shadow quality, geometry, etc.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oliver didn't mention whether or not you can turn off the visual effects on Series S like he did with the SX/PS5.
I assume you can. And that doing so also nets the same ~5fps boost in performance. So Series S would probably stay near 60hz the majority of the time.
Since this game is also available on 8th gen machines, I'd like to know if there are differences in settings between 8th-9th gen versions. Shadow quality, geometry, etc.

I have a feeling the differences will be minimal, this doesn't seem like a very high budget production.

I'd reported some bugs for the various versions over the past few weeks to the developers since it launched, and received confirmation from them via twitter & discord that the issues are being eyed for fixing in the next patch for the game. The Sony versions have an issue with the controls failing/not initializing on load, or a god mode where you can't be killed and the controls fail/reinitialize on their own + stuttering and the Xbox/PC Gamepass version will reset your stats at the start of the final chapter.

You can follow it via their discord: https://discord.gg/sKWcfDPt

Last edited:

FrankWza

It's actually great that have the option to chose on ps platforms.
It really is. I’ve used it 3-4 times already in the last few months. Even if it’s just for comparison’s sake. But with GT7, I had to run the PS4 version while I waited for an adapter to get my wheel to work on the PS5 version. Awesome feature

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The game drops below 48 on the native PS5 version. That’s why he recommended the BC version. But overall that was his preference
VRR doesn't apply to the scenario of a single frame screengrab
I was using sarcasm. Now that the playing field is somewhat equal with VRR, we are back to trumpeting performance numbers again. Where before it was, "the one with VRR wins" even when it performed less.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I was using sarcasm. How now that the playing field is somewhat equal with VRR, we are back to trumpeting performance numbers again.
Lots of people don't have vrr capable displays. Lots of people also wouldn't notice the couple of frames difference between the next-gen consoles and the S either so I don't know. I'm here for the yucks.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PS5 performing the best with PS4 pro versions of games yet again.

it would be cool if Sony just allowed people to boot up the PS5 version and choose performance and it just plays the PS4 pro version or something. if that could somehow avoid having to download a different version of the game.

Does that make sense?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So based on the article and video, the best order of performance is:

PS4 BC version > Series S >= Series X as both have VRR coverage > PS5 Native as game drops below PS5 VRR coverage very frequently.

Seems like a clear win for the PS5 on this occasion. Seems to me that the SSD is doing the hard work here.

I think you watched a different DF video :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What you uncultured green swines don't get is that the 7 frames difference is just a tribute by Sony to the Seven Samurai movie which was a huge inspiration for the game...

uncultured swine is a Hunter Thompson reference i'm not console warring im making fun of the console warriors...
Isn't it from Las Vegas Parano?Though I guess most would have the Toy Story reference.

Fbh

I honestly don't get how these things happen. You are making a rather simple (but artistically nice) looking 2D game that's running as low as 35fps on next gen consoles and are like "yup this is fine".
Seems like simply offering a lower res option on Ps5/SX would solve the issue which I really can't imagine taking that much time or money to implements as it's one of the most basic features on even the lowest budget PC games.

Seriously guys 😐 can we not do this on indie titles?

It's not an indie.
It's by Flying Wild Hog which is a mid size studio with hundreds of employees and are owned by the multi billion dollar embracer group

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seriously guys 😐 can we not do this on indie titles?
Agreed for any face-offs. It's always the same cast of us merry men.

But this isn't an Indie dev, it's a AA studio game made by the same developers that did the Shadow Warrior remake series and published by Devolver.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
What you uncultured green swines don't get is that the 7 frames difference is just a tribute by Sony to the Seven Samurai movie which was a huge inspiration for the game...

uncultured swine is a Hunter Thompson reference i'm not console warring im making fun of the console warriors...
It’s rats not swine.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Really like the look of the game. Playing it on GP PC and it runs pretty good on 3060 laptop. Can do 1080p/High ~120fps, 1440p/Epic at ~65fps so far. Depends on the scene, of course.

Top Bottom