• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Trek to Yomi - The Digital Foundry Tech Review - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/S

ACESHIGH

Banned
LoL you can't Cap the Fps on consoles? You can easily play this game at 4k 30 max on a RX580 not sure why next gen consoles are struggling so much.

30 fps is better than 60 in this game since it's cinematic. I kid you not.

Resolution does not make much of a difference though. I'd argue it's better to play it at 720p to emulate an old movie experience better. I don't think you can choose a lower 16:9 resolution than that.aybe via ini tweaks.

Last edited:

Markio128

I See You No GIF by Teddy Too Big

SLB1904

Banned
PS5 performing the best with PS4 pro versions of games yet again.

it would be cool if Sony just allowed people to boot up the PS5 version and choose performance and it just plays the PS4 pro version or something. if that could somehow avoid having to download a different version of the game.

Does that make sense?
Too different codes obviously

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
LoL you can't Cap the Fps on consoles? You can easily play this game at 4k 30 max on a RX580 not sure why next gen consoles are struggling so much.

Resolution does not make much of a difference though. I'd argue it's better to play it at 720p to emulate an old movie experience better. I don't think you can choose a lower 16:9 resolution than that.aybe via ini tweaks.
Play the PS4 version on the PS5, and that gets you a 60fps cap.

Vognerful

Agreed for any face-offs. It's always the same cast of us merry men.

But this isn't an Indie dev, it's a AA studio game made by the same developers that did the Shadow Warrior remake series and published by Devolver.
I honestly don't get how these things happen. You are making a rather simple (but artistically nice) looking 2D game that's running as low as 35fps on next gen consoles and are like "yup this is fine".
Seems like simply offering a lower res option on Ps5/SX would solve the issue which I really can't imagine taking that much time or money to implements as it's one of the most basic features on even the lowest budget PC games.

It's not an indie.
It's by Flying Wild Hog which is a mid size studio with hundreds of employees and are owned by the multi billion dollar embracer group
Probably should have phrased it to say small or medium budget title.

Wasn’t it originally devolved title?

Banned

or, OR, you don't play this terrible game at all... I think that's the best option xD

assurdum

Banned
This thread is the expected shit show. That's what happens when you leave console war loopholes open (like allowing concern trolling over budget consoles), it swaps over to other threads.
So wait a second a single unknown game which run shitty on "premium" console but fine on Series S now proved it was false that console has serious bottlenecks claimed in different fronts? This game not seems exactly a next generation showcase.

Last edited:
This is the correct take. Clearly there is a problem with most powerful hardware.

Meanwhile the ambassadors are shifting the goals posts to make us believe the sub 1080p Series S is powerful. Go figure.

Correct there’s no reason for the XSS to be ahead unless the developers really messed up somewhere.

Riky

$MSFT
Just saw some shots. The XSS shouldn’t be outperforming the PS5 and the XSX. The more powerful systems should be a lot better.

They should, but their not. Just going back over older games for those small framerate drops to see what people thought then, it's a blast. Hitman 3 for starters.

I know, it's just seeing how people move from resolution to framerate advantages, it's quite amusing.

Well both are good and having more of each is even better. The issue with this title is while the PS4 Pro version performs the best it’s resolution leaves a lot to be desired. Locked performance is great but at some point the resolution gets so low that the game looks bad.

elliot5

I know, it's just seeing how people move from resolution to framerate advantages, it's quite amusing.
Series S is unacceptable for not always adhering to 1440p resolutions, but playing the 1900x800 PS4 back compat version for 60 fps is totally cool man. Hardly anyone would be excited to play Xbox One S versions of games just to lock framerates... when instead the devs should work on their optimization or just offer in-game options rather than relying on playing completely different versions that you have to download of the same game. From Flying Wild Hog to FROM.

Riky

$MSFT
Well both are good and having more of each is even better. The issue with this title is while the PS4 Pro version performs the best it’s resolution leaves a lot to be desired. Locked performance is great but at some point the resolution gets so low that the game looks bad.

I'll be trying the Series versions with VRR, seems like the best compromise.

dcmk7

Banned
Someone missed tho post this in the resume:
  • unlocked framerate
    • PS5/Series X: 40 to 55 fps
    • Series S: ~5fps better
All that loud for 5fps advantage at 900p....
I mean at least it's not ~500p again.

Bigger consoles haven't shown up here.

MaKTaiL

I played and got the platinum trophy for this at launch and really did not care about the framerate at all. I actually didn't notice any drops during my playthrough. This game is definitely not impacted by performance issues, trust me,

Last edited:

tommib

I played and got the platinum trophy for this at launch and really did not care about the framerate at all. I actually didn't notice any drops during my playthrough. This game is definitely not impacted by performance issues, trust me,
Why come into this war with reason and personal experiences when we can copy/paste screengrabs with graphs and get a W followed by a laugh emoji. :messenger_beaming:

I’m triggered and disgusted by your sensible take.

The warring in this thread is more entertaining than the game it’s covering.
As someone who beat it on PC Gamepass and PS5 while encountering tons of really effed up bugs, I can tell you that you are 100% right. The games beautiful lol, but this thread and the bickering in it = 100% more entertaining :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I played through it multiple times to contribute to a friends little indie blog he's trying to get going, and yeah....this threads hilarious lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom