• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Trek to Yomi - The Digital Foundry Tech Review - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/S

No volcano high, calling that a fake list. "lollipop_disappointed:
It's sorted by the date I added them to wishlist. I added at same time as fist after watching some upcoming games video. Here it is sorted by rank
5UUuHHz.jpg

8BiTw0LF

Banned
"Far more compelling though is to simply run the PS4 Pro code on PS5 through backwards compatibility. This manages to reach a locked 60fps on PS5, so VRR can be dropped without issue, though resolution takes a dive down to approximately 1920x804. It's a palpably softer game, but the heavy reliance on post-processing dulls the impact of the resolution cut.

This is my preferred way to play the game on consoles though - the steady 60fps provides the sort of consistency that you really want in a timing-based action game like this."

Great Success Win GIF

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't pretend to be above it all.

Side this, side that, it's always the other sides. Yes, the game is a mess on all systems, been said countless times in here, and yes, everyone wars the same on all sides too.

It's always "the other side."

Imagine if we policed ourselves and all stopped baiting?
Happy GIF

Your ass literally said "stop deflecting" because you yourself wanted a console war theme that it turned into. When it was shit on all systems, even outperforming the XSX. Don't backpedal now.

Stop deflecting was aimed at all your post about the series s you posted in the other thread.

You know what you did lol you seem to get away with it a lot

JackMcGunns

The takeaway here is that when PS5 games showed a framerate advantage over the XSX, despite the XSX having a higher native resolution, it never mattered or wasn't even mentioned because "Framerate is king", but...

HOLY GOAL POST MOVING BATMAN!!!!!

This is pure entertainment at this point

4T0E02.gif

phil_t98

#SonyToo
How am I supposed to keep up with all of your baby mama meta drama?

I joke around a ton on here. Sometimes serious, most often not.

Just be happy with your ps4 version at lower res and locked 60

As I said the games a mess on next gen reguardless.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just be happy with your ps4 version at lower res and locked 60

Oh, so now resolution matters...

But yes, options are good, innit?

The takeaway here is that when PS5 games showed a framerate advantage over the XSX, despite the XSX having a higher native resolution, it never mattered or wasn't even mentioned because "Framerate is king", but...

HOLY GOAL POST MOVING BATMAN!!!!!

This is pure entertainment at this point

4T0E02.gif
No, the takeaway here is that it's identical on the PS5/XSX.
derp GIF

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
It has but it drops below 48 FPS and then VRR turns off. Usual incompetence by Sony in implementing features.
Usual internet ignorance. First VRR below 48 fps is practically useless, for fps below 50 fps doesn't works, it's universally known. Anyway ps5 can support drops below 48 (not in a system level because BC is tied to the frequency I guess) but SFS can be actived via software (if the developer care). Anyway if you watch the video xbox doing better with VRR just because it can force the 120hz output in any games (at the cost of blurry IQ), not because VRR is active at the 40 fps limit.

Last edited:

tommib

"Far more compelling though is to simply run the PS4 Pro code on PS5 through backwards compatibility. This manages to reach a locked 60fps on PS5, so VRR can be dropped without issue, though resolution takes a dive down to approximately 1920x804. It's a palpably softer game, but the heavy reliance on post-processing dulls the impact of the resolution cut.

This is my preferred way to play the game on consoles though - the steady 60fps provides the sort of consistency that you really want in a timing-based action game like this."

Great Success Win GIF
Getting close to 720p and 60 fps. Just like God intended. Frame rate is king.

adam jackson fps GIF by CORSAIR

intbal

Does the PS5 auto-unlock the framerate on PS4 titles? Or does the 8th gen version of this game have an unlocked framerate by default?

I thought lower frame rate with VRR was better than lower resolution. Did something change after PlayStation got VRR?

big brother GIF by Big Brother After Dark

[\SPOILER]
It's better when the lower frame rate is only 0.5% lower like in some XSX vs PS5 comparisons. The frame rate is considerably worse in this game though, and drops regularly under the 48 fps PS5 VRR threshold. So PS5 bros should stick to the last gen version.

Nydius

It really is.

I couldn't give two shits about this console tribal dick wagging when the sad reality is the game runs like crap on both current gen systems (aside: it's been 18 months, I'm not calling them "next gen" anymore). I'm playing on XSX and the only reason it plays decently is due to VRR. If I turn off VRR or move it to a different TV, it runs like a pile of dogshit. Unstable frames with frame stutters and skips -- awful for a game that's based on timing.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It really is.

I couldn't give two shits about this console tribal dick wagging when the sad reality is the game runs like crap on both current gen systems (aside: it's been 18 months, I'm not calling them "next gen" anymore). I'm playing on XSX and the only reason it plays decently is due to VRR. If I turn off VRR or move it to a different TV, it runs like a pile of dogshit. Unstable frames with frame stutters and skips -- awful for a game that's based on timing.

Guess that's probably the reason I didn't notice other than some frame time dips. VRR really does help in cases where the developers didn't have the time or budget to optimize.

The game itself is pretty fantastic although very easy as you can just rely on the basic sword + parry that you have from the start to beat every single enemy and boss. All the other things the game offers you are essentially useless.

Holy shit, this is amazing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Nydius

Guess that's probably the reason I didn't notice other than some frame time dips. VRR really does help in cases where the developers didn't have the time or budget to optimize.

The game itself is pretty fantastic although very easy as you can just rely on the basic sword + parry that you have from the start to beat every single enemy and boss. All the other things the game offers you are essentially useless.

Agreed with you on all of your points. VRR really is the saving grace for this game. It's disappointing that for people without VRR displays the answer is to either play the PS4 version in BC mode on their PS5s or play on a Series S.

I'm only on chapter 3 and I've started to wonder if there was really any reason to use the other things the game gives you when parry + combo is powerful enough to practically two hit anything in the game outside of bosses. I admit I'm only playing on Bushido as I didn't know if I was going to really be into this game when I first started it; Wondering if it's any better on the Master difficulty.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Agreed with you on all of your points. VRR really is the saving grace for this game. It's disappointing that for people without VRR displays the answer is to either play the PS4 version in BC mode on their PS5s or play on a Series S.

I'm only on chapter 3 and I've started to wonder if there was really any reason to use the other things the game gives you when parry + combo is powerful enough to practically two hit anything in the game outside of bosses. I admit I'm only playing on Bushido as I didn't know if I was going to really be into this game when I first started it; Wondering if it's any better on the Master difficulty.

Honestly, no lol.

You can run through everything, including the final boss, within a few seconds with a good timed parry and some combo attacks.

I haven't restarted the game on the difficulty you unlock after beating it once. But I guess they wanted to keep the game easy and accessible to everyone.

Damn shame this thread has the most posts in any Trek to Yomi thread on GAF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom