• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves PS5 Tech Review: Graphics Upgrades + 30/60/120FPS Modes Tested

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yeah but TLOU2 doesn't have improved visuals, a 120 Hz mode, a native 4K mode, DualSense features, or 2 second load times.

60 Hz patches are great, but this offers a lot more for just $10.

Then give people the choice, because the improvements besides FPS + res are marginal, higher framerate is the main improvement.

40 FPS is genius.
Sony could make it standard for their own first party games, 4K "Fidelity" mode with a bit extra fluidity, and wouldn't be that difficult when the teams can communicate and collaborate. Isn't this why ICE TEAM exist? To share these sorts of technical known-hows? Sony is wasting it's talents.
40fps modes require a 120hz capable display right? Could be that most players are still rocking 4k TVs with 60hz refresh. If that's the case I wouldn't expect 40fps modes to become standard just yet.

There is some lack of clarification on all of this. This game is the same game, now running as a native APP, but is the same custom engine maded specifically tailored to the base PS4.
Bump resolution, frame rate, draw distance... all those things you can normally make when you get a PC game, maybe on some hidden PC debug mode, but is still a game created for PS4.

And I agree. Is pretty underwhelming IMO.
It's downright pathetic and disappointing and this is how almost every ps5 "upgrade" has been from Sony studios except for Insomnic with the Spuderman Remaster. Like seriously? 1440p/60 with a couple minor, and I mean MINOR, visual differences. Meanwhile, equivalently specced PC's are going to run it much better. What happened to Naughty Dog man? They're calling this a Remaster but it's nowhere near the work they did on Last of Us 1 Remaster or the Uncharted 1-3 trilogy Remaster.

And people wonder why Sony fans are upset about them bringing games to PC. We just supported Sony by buying their shiny new next gen console only to get rewarded by being charged $10 for second rate versions of what they're giving to PC players.

And before someone comes back with "but your paying $10 while PC is $50. Actually no, we already paid $60 for Uncharted 4 and $40 for Lost Legacy. All I'm saying is if Sony is going to support PC now, don't alienate the people who've supported you the most. At least provide us with a real Remaster in the forn of an update day and date with PC versions.

This is the type of stuff that has been going on with Sony for the last year and a half. It's been a disappointing next gen so far and it shouldn't have been. Sony's BC continues to suck. Getting a new console should see us enjoying these huge first party ps4 games at some higher settings! Jon from DF even says the shadows are barely improved and the shadows were rough in Uncharted 4.

Same goes with LoU2. We were all just relieved to get ANYTHING when LoU2 hot that 60 fps patch. But honestly, that's weak sauce for THE visual showcase of the ps4 era! It's 1440p/60 just like this UC4 Remaster and the shadow quality in lou2 is terrible in daylight in certain segments. Esp noticeable in Abbys later parts f the game. Flickering and breaking up everywhere. There should be ps5 patches for LoU2 and GOW.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They didn’t even get a PS4 game running at 4K 60? Thats a disappointment. I was hoping that both consoles should have no problem boosting all last gen games to a 4k/60 to make them really worth revisiting.
Death Stranding runs at native 4k 60 fps with only a few drops during boss fights and particle heavy cutscenes even with PC high settings.

The problem here isnt the hardware, it's the dev. It's a quick and dirty port.

This is the best kind of remaster for such meticulously crafted games.. upgrade tech, plus little fixes here and there, while not messing with art and look of the game.

Hyped as fuck, these are by far the best controlling TPS i've ever played so gimme that SP gameplay at 60fps and i'm set for years, thank you.

And the upcoming PC port with inevitable shadows options and God only knows what else..

carl-chef-kiss.gif
How can you say it's good though when it's still 1440p and such minor "improvements". You mention shadows on the PC. Why can't ps5 get some better shadows. We know there is performance being left on the table here. Shadows needed improvement big time. Ps5 is benchmarked close to a 2080, at least a 2070, but those cards will be rockingv4k/60/ better shadows/lods/aa/AO/AF/motion blur and ps5 gets .. improved lods and motion blur ..at 1440p

Death Stranding runs at native 4k 60 fps with only a few drops during boss fights and particle heavy cutscenes even with PC high settings.

I'm sick of this shit from Sony and Sony first party devs. I remember when they did a project it was guaranteed to be maximizing the hardware. Everything has changed this gen.

Hugare

Apples and oranges

ND's engine is heavy. When DF was reviewing TLOU 2, they mentioned how low the resolution was for a PS4 Pro game.

1440p, for both TLOU 2 and Uncharted 4, with no checkerboarding. While Ghost of Tsushima and GOW were doing 1800p.

And dont get me wrong, Death Stranding is gorgeous and optimized, but Uncharted 4 and TLOU 2 are both doing a lot more than DS.

Running these games at 4K is probably not easy as you think.

I wouldnt call Naughty Dog lazy, at all

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Seriously, how can the 4-kay-or-bust crowd look at that 50% speed side-by-side comparison and still prefer the blatantly choppier mode?
That’s pretty much how my eyes see low fps stuff on OLED… at full speed. Always.

kyliethicc

Apples and oranges

ND's engine is heavy. When DF was reviewing TLOU 2, they mentioned how low the resolution was for a PS4 Pro game.

1440p, for both TLOU 2 and Uncharted 4, with no checkerboarding. While Ghost of Tsushima and GOW were doing 1800p.

And dont get me wrong, Death Stranding is gorgeous and optimized, but Uncharted 4 and TLOU 2 are both doing a lot more than DS.

Ghost of Tsushima is checkerboard 1800p on PS4 Pro which is lower rendered resolution per frame than native 1440p.

God of War is checkerboard 2160p on PS4 Pro, which is a bit higher.

And no Naughty Dog aren't lazy at all. None of Sony's big 1st party PS4 games can run at 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz on PS5.

Death Stranding comes close at 1800p tho. But as we see in the PC world, Death Stranding is a very light game compared to most.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Wasn’t this 1440p 30fps on the PS4 Pro?

The PS5’s GPU is more than twice as powerful as that on the PS4 Pro, and the CPU is MUCH more powerful. Surprised they didn’t push to run this at 4K 60fps.

Aside that, the visual improvements seems rather minimal for a ‘remaster’.

For the smaller file size + 3D audio, I guess I’ll do the $10 upgrade.

Arioco

Wasn’t this 1440p 30fps on the PS4 Pro?

The PS5’s GPU is more than twice as powerful as that on the PS4 Pro, and the CPU is MUCH more powerful. Surprised they didn’t push to run this at 4K 60fps.

Aside that, the visual improvements seems rather minimal for a ‘remaster’.

For the smaller file size + 3D audio, I guess I’ll do the $10 upgrade.

Yes, but 4K@60 fps is not twice as many pixels as 1440p@30fps, it's in fact more than x4. And PS5 is not more than 4 times more powerful than Pro. That is before we factor in the visual improvements to LOD, shadows, textures, etc...

Hunnybun

No DRS. No 40 Fps mode. No uncapped framerate. I dont get why Insomniac can do these things and ND cant. They are supposed to be more talented. Hell, they even have their own Ice Team.

It will be interesting to see this running on a 2080 which more or less matches the PS5 in standard rasterization. PS5's version of Death Stranding was outperforming these cards so whatever framerate/resolution we can do on equivalent PC cards should be doable on PS5 even though we wont be able to do direct comparisons due to locked framerates that dont drop outside of 120 fps modes.

It's fucking ridiculous that we had to wait a year for this "remaster" and they couldn't even implement DRS, let alone some kind of middle ground resolution like 1800p or 1620p etc.

There's no way 1440p60 is the max the PS5 can do.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes, but 4K@60 fps is not twice as many pixels as 1440p@30fps, it's in fact more than x4. And PS5 is not more than 4 times more powerful than Pro. That is before we factor in the visual improvements to LOD, shadows, textures, etc...
The pro GPU was held back by a shitty jaguar CPU and a lack of ram bandwidth. With IPC gains, the PS5 should be around 13 polaris tflops or over 3x faster. Combine that with a way better CPU, new PS5 IO and they shouldve been able to do at least 1800p 60 fps or native 4k 50-60 fps.

If someone finds a way to unlock the framerate, you should see the PS5 is probably spending most of its time in the 50s in the native 4k mode.

Arun1910

No DRS. No 40 Fps mode. No uncapped framerate. I dont get why Insomniac can do these things and ND cant. They are supposed to be more talented. Hell, they even have their own Ice Team.

It will be interesting to see this running on a 2080 which more or less matches the PS5 in standard rasterization. PS5's version of Death Stranding was outperforming these cards so whatever framerate/resolution we can do on equivalent PC cards should be doable on PS5 even though we wont be able to do direct comparisons due to locked framerates that dont drop outside of 120 fps modes.
IIRC wasn't the 40fps Ratchet mode done via a patch after release? Could see the same thing here.

Also Miles Morales also got a Ray Traced Performance mode as a patch later on too.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Apples and oranges

I'm not sure how relevant it is that they ran at 1440p on the Pro: the fact is that all the games mentioned run at 1080p on the base console for which they were actually developed, which suggests that they're ROUGHLY as demanding as each other. And while TLOU2 is certainly very advanced, I think most people would say Death Stranding is a better looking game than UC4, and that's stuck at 1440p too.

And I wouldn't call ND lazy either, cos they've consistently achieved amazing results in impressive timeframes, but there's something odd about taking over a year to get out a remaster which doesn't look like much more work than just tweaking resolution and frame rate settings. Did they only have like 2 or 3 devs working on this or something?

Vick

Gold Member
How can you say it's good though when it's still 1440p and such minor "improvements".
Because they haven't fucked with the look of the games, which is something that bothers me to no end on 99% of the so called "Remasters". There's always artistic downgrades of some kind in them, not the case when it comes to ND approaches such as this or TLoU.

Plus i was expecting improvements on the Fidelity Mode only, so i'm extremely glad i was wrong.

You mention shadows on the PC. Why can't ps5 get some better shadows.
Because shadows are by far the heaviest graphic setting.. but yeah, probably a little more could have been done. And maybe the did worked a little on those though, as i can't imagine them leaving those shadows on water on Chapter 17 as they were for example.

We know there is performance being left on the table here. Shadows needed improvement big time. Ps5 is benchmarked close to a 2080, at least a 2070, but those cards will be rockingv4k/60/ better shadows/lods/aa/AO/AF/motion blur and ps5 gets .. improved lods and motion blur ..at 1440p
Well, on PS5 these games look sharper, there's better LOD, better reflections, AA didn't need any kind of improvement even on base PS4, AF is much better, AO is of superb quality and completely intrinsic in these games look so it was wise to not mess with it, motion blur is improved, instant loading.. and knowing how orgasmic the Multiplayer felt and looked on my 60hz plasma, all this is enough to get me excited.

Plus we don't know how heavy these games will be on PC. To play GoW with those Ultra Shadows at rock solid 60fps and 4K.. well, you need much more than a 2080. And as good as GoW looked, it wasn't Uncharted 4.

Last edited:

Arioco

Pretty much further proof on why native versions are important for the I/O aspect of games.

They've always been. Unfortunately not even native versions have taken full advantage of PS5 super fast I/O. There aren't too many third party games that load in just a couple of seconds: RE VIII, Nioh, FFVII Remake and maybe a few more. But when done right it's amazing, it's like going back to the old cartridges. xD

Elios83

Watched the video and the whole package is really nice. 60fps+better LOD+2s loadings+ really good 3D audio implementation and DS support.
Definetly going to play this over the weekend.
Only disappointment is the lack of a 40fps mode at native 4K for those with a 120Hz TV. The performance headroom seems to be there.
It would have been the best compromise between fidelity and performance.
Maybe if there is demand they might patch it later?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Good point.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Kinda annoyed I never purchased lost legacy when it was on sale on the store in the past. Knowing Sony they will have probably removed it or never put it on sale again.

it was under 10 pounds multiple times. My bad though, I’d already fully completed them.

DeepSpace5D

I was very disappointed to learn that the $10 upgrade is not available to anyone that claimed Uncharted 4 as a PS+ game when it was given in April 2020, even if they purchased the game prior.

I’m literally staring at a disc version of Uncharted 4 in my room, which I bought at launch, and even have timestamps of trophies I attained in 2016 when it launched. Yet because I always claim every monthly game from PS+ by default purely for convenience, I don’t have access to the $10 upgrade.

That is a pretty shitty decision in my opinion.

Last edited:

Why would you want DRS? It downgrades the resolution and makes the image quality worse. That’s why ND and Rockstar’s game looks so clean because of no DRS.

40fps modes require a 120hz capable display right? Could be that most players are still rocking 4k TVs with 60hz refresh. If that's the case I wouldn't expect 40fps modes to become standard just yet.

And yet this game ships with a 120fps mode.
You see my point? Every game by Sony with a 120fps performance mode should also have an optional 40fps fidelity mode (at least games like this one that seem to have enough headroom).

Last edited:
I was very disappointed to learn that the $10 upgrade is not available to anyone that claimed Uncharted 4 as a PS+ game when it was given in April 2020, even if they purchased the game prior.

I’m literally staring at a disc version of Uncharted 4 in my room, which I bought at launch, and even have timestamps of trophies I attained in 2016 when it launched. Yet because I always claim every monthly game from PS+ by default purely for convenience, I don’t have access to the $10 upgrade.

Umm you can still upgrade the disc version for $10. Discs and digital games are separate SKUs, so you literally can upgrade the disc version.

Mr Moose

What? You can use that disc for the $10 upgrade.

kyliethicc

Naughty Dog interview. Talks about the DualSense haptics:

"The boat in the opening of the game was the very first thing people experienced so we were like, 'OK is a big deal, we want to make sure that this feels good,'" says Margenau.

"We know where the body of the boat is scraping against the water, so we're actually modeling that in stereo. When the boat turns to the right, you'll not only feel that on the right side of the controller but also through two other layers of feedback. There's a g-force meter, so any impact to the boat is being reflected on a pulse, which is based on the physics of what's happening. And there's a 'propeller chop value' in the simulation of the boat, which is like the propeller getting out of the water and skipping; we have a special haptic just for that. All these layers of those things are all running at once."

"We had to build a new pipeline to author them because it's such a higher fidelity haptic experience than the old controller rumble. So we had to think about it in a different way and involve audio programmers, because the fidelity of the haptics is so high that it's an audio signal that we're sending to the controller," says Margenau, with the saintly patience of a man explaining a very technical system to a total layperson. "So when you get shot, you can feel it only on the side of the controller where you got shot.

"It's a subtle effect, but it's something you couldn't do on the old controller because you had asymmetrical motors, you had a big motor and a small motor. Whenever those things rotate, the entire controller feels like it's vibrating, which is kind of by design of the hardware. But on PS5, you have the same motors on both sides, vibrating somewhat like speakers. So you can actually do very specific effects of kind of stereo panning and things."

Last edited:
Top Bottom