• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves PS5 Tech Review: Graphics Upgrades + 30/60/120FPS Modes Tested

Zimmy68

I just logged into the PSN website and see I am eligible for the $10 upgrade.
I assume I am all set but for the life of me, I don't remember if I have the game on disc originally or bought Lost Legacy from a sale.
I don't have the disc anymore (I don't think) and would hate to upgrade and have it ask to "please put in the disc".
Is there any way to verify that I won't need the disc?

Hugare

Rcl691W.jpg
4FODhei.jpg
QRlX0nm.jpg
moEavwm.jpg
NGWBEBX.jpg
wm4tCTa.jpg

I haven't played this game in yeeeaars I'm so glad this upgrade came out ..I loved this game... I keep snapping pix every couple minutes 🤌🏼
Looks awesome

But I cant stand TAA anymore. Even an amazing one like the one from ND.

Looks blurry even at 4K

DLSS spoiled me so much.

Shmunter

I just logged into the PSN website and see I am eligible for the $10 upgrade.
I assume I am all set but for the life of me, I don't remember if I have the game on disc originally or bought Lost Legacy from a sale.
I don't have the disc anymore (I don't think) and would hate to upgrade and have it ask to "please put in the disc".
Is there any way to verify that I won't need the disc?
Man, you need to take me step by step on how to find this upgrade because all I’m seeing is the complete purchase. And I even have the Lost Legacy disc inserted and installed on the PS5.

Curious if having claimed the ps+ uc4 has made me illegibl. Wouldn’t put it past these clowns with their antics.

Last edited:
Other than the FPS boost which is nice, this is a very unimpressive remaster.

I don’t know if I would recommend this game to PC players who have never played the series. When I first played through it I remember hating the pacing, and that is from someone who adores and has played the rest of the series multiple times over. There’s so much in the first bit of this game that won’t mean shit to so many people because they won’t know or care about the characters. Man the pacing is so bad.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Im downloading it right now, never played Lost Legacy so it was worth the 10 euro. And its nice that there is a 120fps option, options like this are always welcome.

FrankWza

Man, you need to take me step by step on how to find this upgrade because all I’m seeing is the complete purchase. And I even have the Lost Legacy disc inserted and installed on the PS5.

Curious if having claimed the ps+ uc4 has made me illegibl. Wouldn’t put it past these clowns with their antics.
When you put the LL disc in, the purchase option pops up. It will say $10 upgrade and have $49 purchase crossed out. Right on the bottom right.
Edit. Try uninstalling

Last edited:
Played about a hour of U4 here, 4K 30fps feels so ***correct*** that’s even weird.

60fps feels so wrong here that I’m not even bothering.
Played last night in the 60 fps mode and I must have played it so many times that 60 felt off to me too. I don't want to play games at 30 anymore though if I don't have to and the native 4k will ruin the 1440p for me so now I don't know what to do.

Zimmy68

I went to this link.
Once I logged into my account, the amount changed to $10.00
It says I already own the Digital Bundle.

Vick

Gold Member
Played about a hour of U4 here, 4K 30fps feels so ***correct*** that’s even weird.

60fps feels so wrong here that I’m not even bothering.
Exact opposite experience.

This is the Uncharted 4 that was promised to us ever since that first Teaser, 60fps truly make this game shine for both visuals and gameplay in a way few other titles compare, just like it was the case for its Multiplayer before.

The way it was meant from the beginning. I'm personally never going to play a ND game at 30fps ever again.

I don’t know if I would recommend this game to PC players who have never played the series. When I first played through it I remember hating the pacing, and that is from someone who adores and has played the rest of the series multiple times over. There’s so much in the first bit of this game that won’t mean shit to so many people because they won’t know or care about the characters. Man the pacing is so bad.
It's unimpressive indeed. They have a lot of nerve calling it a remaster because aside from fps and resolution, you'd be hard pressed to notice any improvement to the graphics. If they could've got this running at BOTH 4k and 60 then I'd feel good about this one. If not 4k then a dynamic 4k. Wonder why they couldn't at least manage 1600p? 1440p doesn't quite cut it because you lose a lot of fine detail. I'll say the same for Last of Us 2, 1440p is not a great resolution for these games.

Dibils2k

someone here said the performance mode looks sharper than ps4 pro version, eventhough they should technically be same resolution... and i had my doubts, but having played abit, for sure it looks more crisp, i think its the improved motion blur and probably higher texture quality

eithr way, i was planning 4k/30 as my biggest issue with UC games is that they always had this blurry smear look, but the performance mode looks really sharp and crisp (5 motion blur setting)

After

I don't get these pacing complaints. The pacing is good! It just doesn't have as much combat as previous UC games but they do a fine job of moving the plot a long and switching from one location to another. There's a ton of variety in the environments compared to most games. I don't see how this isn't an instant 'recommendation' anyone who likes story driven action adventure games.

It depends on what you give more importance to.
For me 120Hz is kinda useless, I've tried it and the fluidity benefit over 60fps is hardly perceivable compared to 30fps vs 60fps where the jump is obvious.
Also these games were conceived to be played at 30fps and they're single player only. We're not talking about a competitive multiplayer fps.
1080p also looks blurred to me nowadays given that I've been using higher resolutions since 2016.

60fps is definetly the most balanced compromise but vanilla 1440p still looks clearly softer than native 4k.
They should have done dynamic 4k at 60fps or 4k 40fps@120Hz refresh or 1440p/60fps with checkerboarding or temporal injection upscaling to 4k.
This!! A lot of textural detail is being lost at 1440p. I flipped back and forth between 4k and 1440p and you lose that fine detail in cloth, wood, dirt etc that you have in 4k.

I wish devs would stop focusing on 4k/30, or at least if your going to make us choose between 1440p/60 and 4k/30, also make a mode that is dynamic 4k/60 or 4k/40 fps so we have a best of both worlds.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I played the original a bit a few weeks ago and yep the 30fps in this game is actually pretty great. Still much worse than 60, but it's perfectly playable and you tend to forget about it after a while.

I played a few hours of this upgrade last night and I was surprised how much better it looks. DF seemed to think otherwise but I'm SURE the textures have been improved across the board. The whole game looks much sharper, because it definitely looked a bit soft and blurry the last time I played it.

I'm not sure exactly what they've done but imo it's a pretty nice upgrade.
The new contrast makes it look vibrant and the LOD is much better.
What mode you played with ?

Shmunter

When you put the LL disc in, the purchase option pops up. It will say $10 upgrade and have $49 purchase crossed out. Right on the bottom right.
Edit. Try uninstalling
Thanks Frank, will give it a shot.

edit: bingo, that worked. Putting in the disc again, the upgrade tile showed up on the right as promised.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
It's unimpressive indeed. They have a lot of nerve calling it a remaster because aside from fps and resolution, you'd be hard pressed to notice any improvement to the graphics.
This really is the weirdest Remaster ever made.

There's like a million little differences i'm noticing, not even clear improvements, just differences. They literally remade the entire game + cutscenes which is absolutely insane, improving geometry (extremely rarely), shadows (very rarely) and shaders (mostly on hair).. but then left those awful and right in your face PS3 era shadows during gameplay in Chapter 12 and Chapter 17, and haven't fixed the small things here and there that needed to be fixed.

I really don't get it at all..

With the amount of work put into this it could have been be the best Remaster ever. But it's like all the efforts went into remaking the entire game as it was, with a focus on minuscule differences, which are negligible at best, without any priority got right.

I'm extremely curious to see the upcoming PC port at this point, but i have to say i'm deeply disappointed by this Naughty Dog port..
i'm not asking for Ray Tracing reflections, i'm not asking for improved Tessellation on all of those sharp edges (or more vegetation to hide the most obvious), i'm not asking to import the water edges they made in Lost Legacy and TLoU, but those damn shadows are embarassing and have no place in a Remaster of a PS4 game.

And it's even more absurd because the tech is already here, in the other game of this very same Collection..

perplexed-mystery.gif

If they could've got this running at BOTH 4k and 60 then I'd feel good about this one. If not 4k then a dynamic 4k. Wonder why they couldn't at least manage 1600p? 1440p doesn't quite cut it because you lose a lot of fine detail. I'll say the same for Last of Us 2, 1440p is not a great resolution for these games.
ND engine apparently does not support nor DRS, nor upscaling techniques (i guess it's due to their temporal solution), and they wanted to avoid drops in Performance Mode to therefore avoid the over the top drama Digital Foundry generated for those 4 damn frame drops in TLoU Remastered at the time, so had to settle for the lowest resolution which is 1440p.

If you look at the PS4 Mod to run the game at 60fps they had to drop the resolution to 540p, and framerate was still NOT stable at all and literally all over the place, managing to drop even under 35fps at times.

RPS37

I was able to do the $10 upgrade, but I don’t know if 60fps is enough to get me to do a third play-through of these games.

After

I don't get these pacing complaints. The pacing is good! It just doesn't have as much combat as previous UC games but they do a fine job of moving the plot a long and switching from one location to another. There's a ton of variety in the environments compared to most games. I don't see how this isn't an instant 'recommendation' anyone who likes story driven action adventure games.
I’m specifically talking about the first 5-6 chapters of the game, it’s really slow going. It gets a lot better once you get past that long drawn out introduction, its amazing after that really, but the intro is too long imo even for players who know the characters. I guess it’s not so much that I wouldn’t recommend it, more so that I would highly recommend playing the original trilogy first. It’s too bad that Sony decided to release these games first.

Hunnybun

This really is the weirdest Remaster ever made.

There's like a million little differences i'm noticing, not even clear improvements, just differences. They literally remade the entire game + cutscenes which is absolutely insane, improving geometry (extremely rarely), shadows (very rarely) and shaders (mostly on hair).. but then left those awful and right in your face PS3 era shadows during gameplay in Chapter 12 and Chapter 17, and haven't fixed the small things here and there that needed to be fixed.

I really don't get it at all..

With the amount of work put into this it could have been be the best Remaster ever. But it's like all the efforts went into remaking the entire game as it was, with a focus on minuscule differences, which are negligible at best, without any priority got right.

I'm extremely curious to see the upcoming PC port at this point, but i have to say i'm deeply disappointed by this Naughty Dog port..
i'm not asking for Ray Tracing reflections, i'm not asking for improved Tessellation on all of those sharp edges (or more vegetation to hide the most obvious), i'm not asking to import the water edges they made in Lost Legacy and TLoU, but those damn shadows are embarassing and have no place in a Remaster of a PS4 game.

And it's even more absurd because the tech is already here, in the other game of this very same Collection..

perplexed-mystery.gif

ND engine apparently does not support nor DRS, nor upscaling techniques (i guess it's due to their temporal solution), and they wanted to avoid drops in Performance Mode to therefore avoid the over the top drama Digital Foundry generated for those 4 damn frame drops in TLoU Remastered at the time, so had to settle for the lowest resolution which is 1440p.

If you look at the PS4 Mod to run the game at 60fps they had to drop the resolution to 540p, and framerate was still NOT stable at all and literally all over the place, managing to drop even under 35fps at times.

Yeah the way they've left the shadows like that is fucking bizarre. Even at the time that was the big weakness of the graphics.

The only thing that has annoyed me is my reticule automatically snaps to headshots when it gets close. I turned auto-aim off so I'm confused. I really can't stand auto-aim.

ManaByte

Never finished Lost Legacy, so I'm doing that with this, and it looks great in Performance mode. But it's been so long since I beat Uncharted 4, I've forgotten about the series' bullet sponge enemies.

It's unimpressive indeed. They have a lot of nerve calling it a remaster because aside from fps and resolution, you'd be hard pressed to notice any improvement to the graphics. If they could've got this running at BOTH 4k and 60 then I'd feel good about this one. If not 4k then a dynamic 4k. Wonder why they couldn't at least manage 1600p? 1440p doesn't quite cut it because you lose a lot of fine detail. I'll say the same for Last of Us 2, 1440p is not a great resolution for these games.
Feel like we will be getting more like this as time goes on. Why do any work on a remaster when people are willing to throw cash at you for tweaking settings? At least Spiderman and Ghosts of Tsushima changed up the actual assets a bit, and did stuff like added lip-synch to the Japanese track in GoT. This could and should have been a free patch.

ManaByte

Performance mode at 60 with HDR is an upgrade from even the PS4 Pro version.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My goodness Lost Legacy looks gorgeous in the native 4k mode. That rain chase sequence in chapter 2 omg. You can see each individual raindrop. The open world looks slick too.

But then i turned on the performance+ mode and headshots never felt so satisfying. 120 fps is the way to play this game but man it looks fucking ugly in the open world at 1080p.

shame there is no native 4k 60 fps mode.

Definitely not. I bought Lost Legacy digitally and got UC 4 via plus. I was still eligible for the 10 dollar upgrade.

SlimySnake

Thats because of the shitty 1.6 ghz jaguar cpu.

Besides, the point of remasters is to go back and improve the backend stuff to bring them in line with next gen systems. Thats what they did with the last of us remaster. It was their first attempt at a PS4 game, and they managed to get it to run at 1080p 60 fps despite the fact that the jaguar cpu was complete trash. They were also able to use cutscene quality character models and lighting during gameplay. this is basically them changing config files to run the game at higher framerates. No engine improvements. No implementation of new techniques like DRS or TAA upscaling. I played Matrix again last night at my brother's and that 1080p image looks way cleaner than what im seeing here in the 120 fps version. This wouldve been the perfect game for ND to test their new next gen tecnhiques.

TBH, I dont know how ND can release Left Behind DLC just 7 months after shipping TLOU then four months later ship a remaster and then, this time around take 19 months after shipping their last game, no DLC, no remaster for TLOU2, and this underwhelming port of Uncharted. Something that didnt even need porting. PS5's BC wouldve handled all these improvements except for the loading.

Not sure whats going on over at ND at the moment. They apparently had nothing to do after shipping TLOU2 which is why they started fucking with the VSG remake and Sony Bend's Uncharted reboot. well, why didnt you put that time into upgrading TLOU2 or your engine. I just dont get it. They used to be far more productive last gen with fewer people.

Last edited:

Stooky

Thats because of the shitty 1.6 ghz jaguar cpu.

Besides, the point of remasters is to go back and improve the backend stuff to bring them in line with next gen systems. Thats what they did with the last of us remaster. It was their first attempt at a PS4 game, and they managed to get it to run at 1080p 60 fps despite the fact that the jaguar cpu was complete trash. They were also able to use cutscene quality character models and lighting during gameplay. this is basically them changing config files to run the game at higher framerates. No engine improvements. No implementation of new techniques like DRS or TAA upscaling. I played Matrix again last night at my brother's and that 1080p image looks way cleaner than what im seeing here in the 120 fps version. This wouldve been the perfect game for ND to test their new next gen tecnhiques.

TBH, I dont know how ND can release Left Behind DLC just 7 months after shipping TLOU then four months later ship a remaster and then, this time around take 19 months after shipping their last game, no DLC, no remaster for TLOU2, and this underwhelming port of Uncharted. Something that didnt even need porting. PS5's BC wouldve handled all these improvements except for the loading.

Not sure whats going on over at ND at the moment. They apparently had nothing to do after shipping TLOU2 which is why they started fucking with the VSG remake and Sony Bend's Uncharted reboot. well, why didnt you put that time into upgrading TLOU2 or your engine. I just dont get it. They used to be far more productive last gen with fewer people.
you obviously know nothing about game development. ‘It’s simple just change the config file’. A game designed to run at 30. Coded to the metal on a specific console is not just a simple port. Just a simple frame rate increase can introduce a lot problems with game logic etc.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Have to say I definitely noticed a difference when starting the game
Everything is just sharper and the details are much improved.
Didn't realize Drake had that many wrinkles 😂

SlimySnake

you obviously know nothing about game development. ‘It’s simple just change the config file’. A game designed to run at 30. Coded to the metal on a specific console is not just a simple port. Just a simple frame rate increase can introduce a lot problems with game logic etc.
lol a hacker literally got the game to run at 60 fps just by reducing the resolution just by searching for resolution values. console game development isnt some magic black box that is entirely different from PC. there is a reason why games with uncapped framerates like kzsf and infamous second son easily run at 60 fps on the ps5. same goes for physical retail copies of The last guardian and GoW which didnt have a locked 30 fps setting and ran at around 35 fps on the ps4. they run at 60 fps locked with no patches right out of the box.

When Uncharted was first shown at PSX, it ran at 37 fps. the game is already running at 30+ fps on the PS4, they just cap it at 30 fps. nothing was going to break. thats nonsense. Someone here got TLOU2 to run at uncapped framerate on the Pro. these games are capped, not coded to run at 30 fps.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

My goodness Lost Legacy looks gorgeous in the native 4k mode. That rain chase sequence in chapter 2 omg. You can see each individual raindrop. The open world looks slick too.

But then i turned on the performance+ mode and headshots never felt so satisfying. 120 fps is the way to play this game but man it looks fucking ugly in the open world at 1080p.

This is why we need 4k@40 FPS/120 Hz mode. Someone please set up bots on twitter and spam ND's account to add it!

Hunnybun

I've just finished playing through TLL. I remember thinking this the last time I played it, but I'm convinced of it now: these are the most underrated graphics of last gen. The game is definitely a step up from UC4 and there are several areas that must be close to the best looking ever.

The entire opening 3 chapters, the cave areas with all the dead bodies, and the lost city are all just STUNNING. But it's a game that nobody even really mentions for its graphics. Weird.

I played it all in performance mode btw. 4k does look a bit better in stills but not enough to put up with the 30fps imo. Shame there's no 40fps cos I'd probably have actually used it.

Elios83

I'm already chapter 10 in U4 and the native 4k mode is amazing for graphics, it's incredible to see how much work and fine details were put in the textures that are simply blurred and lost with lower resolutions especially when you look far away into the scene.
Unfortunately even at 1440p you can absolutely tell the difference. I really hope they follow Insomniac and give us a 40fps mode for those with a 120Hz TV, it would be the best of both worlds.

And btw this re-release proves we need a next gen Uncharted :messenger_smiling_hearts: this series is more fun and interesting than TLOU for me.

You can't play at 30 fps on an OLED. It looks like complete ass as soon as you move the camera. 1440p/60 all day.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
I've just finished playing through TLL. I remember thinking this the last time I played it, but I'm convinced of it now: these are the most underrated graphics of last gen. The game is definitely a step up from UC4 and there are several areas that must be close to the best looking ever.

The entire opening 3 chapters, the cave areas with all the dead bodies, and the lost city are all just STUNNING. But it's a game that nobody even really mentions for its graphics. Weird.

I played it all in performance mode btw. 4k does look a bit better in stills but not enough to put up with the 30fps imo. Shame there's no 40fps cos I'd probably have actually used it.
Absolutely, couldn't agree any more.

This is what i wrote the last year, right after replaying both U4 and TLL:

"The timing for this is insane, i've replayed the game after years this very week and was over with it yesterday, on Chapter 5 of TLL right now.
Still by far my favorite controlling third person game in existence, motion matching and responsiveness here are at an absolute peak and vastly superior to TLOUII for some reason. It plays like a dream and animations are literal perfection.
Story is great and same for the script, some sequences like the auction are just mindblowingly good in their direction, Rafe is an utterly amazing villain and Nadine also works most of the time, incredible performances from every single member of the cast. Sure, the game would have benefited from being a shorter, more condensed and replayable experience like the previous ones, but i feel ND were terrified by The Order: 1886 reviews so tried to distanciate themselves as much as possible from it, and in the end, being the last Drake adventure (hopefully not) i can't complain for more playtime with him.

Graphically, it's still the most inconsistent game i've ever played. The HDR, tone mapping, color grading, all make for a visually stunning presentation that made me appreaciate my plasma more than ever. But if most of the time it's a damn straight pre-rendered movie (especially thanks to their GI solution and God tier PBR and SSS) and therefore the best looking game i've seen to this day along with The Order, TLOUII and P.T., too many times in the open areas it shamelessly shows bordeline N64 geometry, with awful use of normal maps or texture in general to mitigate it.
It is known that ND textures are all hand painted but while the artistry and resolution is more than commendable, they were over confident here. It's like they didn't care, they had their perfect lighting, characters, animations, vegetation, AO, Temporal AA and all the little technical feats and thought they could afford old gen shapes with cartoony textures on top (climbable edges, for instance) because the thing would have looked great regardless due to the "paintery" style and their tech pipeline.
And they were wrong, because it's super jarring to have photorealistic characters, vegetation and lighting in the same frame of sharp edges and low poly mountains on the horizon.
Luckily this is mostly true for the more open areas, which are not common, but playing The Lost Legacy made it clear that they received this same feedback from more than one person because most of these issues are completely solved in the "DLC". A night and day difference.

Now they just HAVE to release a PS5 patch for both U4 and TLL.
A remaster is out of question, like Bluepoint shown Naughty Dog games just can't be remastered without downgrading things here and there, it would be an absolutely momumental task to even just deal with the literally thousands of assets/textures, and since picture quality is unbeatable as is (not referring to IQ) a remaster would either look the same and have people complain or look worse, because you can't improve on what's shown here.
Upgrading geometry would be impossible because that's how they designed this massive game, so just unlock the framerate and if possible increase the resolution. They could introduce self shadowing hair and that would be awesome, but it's extremely unlikely.

If there's just one thing i'd like to see changed BAD however, and was due to technical limitations, would be to reintroduce their absolutely mindblowing and still unbeaten volumetric shadows on water into Chapter 17.
Or at the very least the downgraded version of them seen in TLL, just let me part with those awful pixelated shadows in Chapter 17, please..
"

We've gotten a Remaster in the end, and just as i feared there's tons of "downgraded" (probably simply missed) little things here and there. I'm making a comparison to possibly hand over to ND via Twitter (which i don't have yet), because there's missing shadows and VFX and little things they absolutely have to fix.

Also funny how the ONLY thing i wanted to see in the Remaster, was left just as it was when literally REMAKING the whole damn game, asset by asset, in its entirety.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Hopefully Lost Legacy in this Collection won't have any issue, as it's going to take me a week to simply finish the Uncharted 4 feedback comparison..

Mobilemofo

- There are some improvements to the visuals apart from resolution. Increase in LOD distance and less pop-in. The brightness and contrast have been changed and the game looks punchier. Some textures are better too. There are differences in reflections and shading too. Some changes to the motion blur.

- There are 3 mode: Fidelity, Performance and 120 fps.

- Fidelity Mode is fixed 2160p and 30 fps.
- Performance is 1440p and 60 fps.
- 120 fps mode is 1080p and 120 fps. This is John's favorite.

- None of these modes uses dynamic resolution scaling, to John's disappointment.

- Faster loading times. From almost 50 seconds to a couple of second, everything loads in an instant. In backwards compatibility mode you get faster loading times than It was on Pro, but they are still around 30 seconds.

-As for performance:
- Fidelity mode: John hasn't seen a single frame drop in this mode. He would like a 40 fps mode like the one we saw in Ratchet.
- Performance mode: the target is reached basically all the time, just a single frame drop here and there. Testing the secucuence that stressed PS4 Pro the most it runs at perfect 60 fps on PS5.
-120 fps mode: this is the one mode that shows actual drops, but most of the game runs without issue, most sequences are locked at 120 fps, but a handful of specific sequences do exhibit drops (Madagascar chase for instance).

- 3D Audio is supported and is pretty impressive.

- Dualsense is also supported but less exciting. It's good, just not a game changer.

EDIT-------

I'll leave the @NXGamer analysis here too to avoid opening a new thread.

Fun fact: thanks to PS5 compression both games are now smaller than Uncharted 4 on PS4 alone.

That is kraken..(cracking).

Taxi..✋

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I had hoped they would do more on the upgrade side of things. Using cutscene lod character models everywhere, improve lighting and foliage density etc. This seems kinda meh. Will get as a 120fps demo for my TV, there is a lack of good 120fps games atm.

Top Bottom