• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Xbox Series X|S Running Windows 98 - Quake, Half-Life, Unreal, Turok - Classic PC Gaming

Bullet Club

Windows 98 played host to a massive collection of truly iconic PC games - and now you can play them all on your Xbox Series console thanks to virtualisation of the entire OS, plus emulated support for 3dfx Voodoo Graphics! So, how do you get it set up, how well does it work, and how does it compare against real hardware of the era? Alex Battaglia reveals all.

tusharngf

giphy.gif

nkarafo

DosBox Pure is a native Xbox app?
Xbox runs RetroArch and DosBox Pure is a RetroArch core that runs DOS games.

You can also install Windows through DosBox Pure, which is what this video is about.

So basically the chain is like this: RetroArch - DosBox Pure - Windows - Game

However, Build games don't need windows. So you can remove that layer and it's like this: RetroArch - DosBox Pure - Game.

Drew1440

Ahh it's Dosbox, was hoping 86Box or PCem was posted to the Series siblings, those can emulate both a Voodoo and the S3 ViRGE for early Direc3D titles.

intbal

Xbox runs RetroArch and DosBox Pure is a RetroArch core that runs DOS games.

You can also install Windows through DosBox Pure, which is what this video is about.

So basically the chain is like this: RetroArch - DosBox Pure - Windows - Game

However, Build games don't need windows. So you can remove that layer and it's like this: RetroArch - DosBox Pure - Game.

I don't need any of it. I still have plenty of old PC hardware and numerous copies of Windows.
I was really just referring to Alex's observation that software rendering works better through this configuration than the CPU-emulated Voodoo hardware.

PaintTinJr

Looks interesting, but from me fast-forwarding to the turok section, I don't think it is actually accurately mimic-ing 3dfx/Glide, and is just using a Glide emulator on Direct3D/Opengl, like the later modified versions of the Ultra64 N64 emulator did - that originally needed a 3dfx accelerator - which results in less than 1:1 rasterization method and fxs. The give away in the video IIRC is that Turok on actual 3dfx Glide hardware with native glide drivers does Gourand shading on the textured walls - with fog too - in games like that - and SW Shadows of the Empire game (level 3?) I suspect they haven't tested.

YCoCg

It’s really cool but I don’t know why I would ever do this over using my PC.
Choice, seeing what crazy shit the Xbox Series can be pushed to do. Right now as a Games Console you've got multiple generations of various systems covered under emulation, either via native apps or RetroArch cores, so fuck it, why not also include old era PC games running off DOS up to Windows 98, you've got that extra catalogue as an option too.

Kilau

Gold Member
Choice, seeing what crazy shit the Xbox Series can be pushed to do. Right now as a Games Console you've got multiple generations of various systems covered under emulation, either via native apps or RetroArch cores, so fuck it, why not also include old era PC games running off DOS up to Windows 98, you've got that extra catalogue as an option too.
Yeah it’s cool but I wouldn’t want to put the extra wear on my XSX for an inferior experience.

T-Cake

I think this is the most enjoyable of Alex's videos so far. Got real joy from sitting there and remembering my old gaming days on PC (although I was a bit of a snob - I refused to use Windows 98/Me and had Windows NT Workstation 4.0 for gaming and it was a fucking brilliant OS).

Top Bottom