• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Yes - Valve Really Did Fix Elden Ring PC For Steam Deck!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Join Rich for a journey back to the launch of Elden Ring on PC, how badly it ran on Steam Deck during the final days of the review period - and then how Valve's optimisations via the Proton compatibility layer transformed the game. A handheld PS4? Better than Xbox One S? Find out for yourself... and yeah, tests on two high-end PCs with the 1.02.03 patch...

Valve does what Fromdon't.

Zeroing

Banned
kd3MgqD.jpg

anthony2690

Banned
Someone from Valve really wanted to play Elden Ring on the go!

Can Valve implement what ever they did to the steamdeck version to the full pc release?

Title:
Yes - Valve Really Did Fix Elden Ring PC For Steam Deck!

You:
I ask because Proton is just a compatibility layer for Windows games to run on Linux. It’s good, but I imagine it’s not perfect. I think asking if FromSoftware specifically optimized the game for Proton is valid, but you do you.

adamsapple

I ask because Proton is just a compatibility layer for Windows games to run on Linux. It’s good, but I imagine it’s not perfect. I think asking if FromSoftware specifically optimized the game for Proton is valid, but you do you.

Ok, just so this is answered, no From didn't do anything. Valve are the ones who optimized the Proton layer.

Going by From's track record on all of their previous releases, they will not do anything. It will be up to third parties and/or fan mods to fix their janky engine.

Kupfer

Ok, just so this is answered, no From didn't do anything. Valve are the ones who optimized the Proton layer.

Going by From's track record on all of their previous releases, they will not do anything. It will be up to third parties and/or fan mods to fix their janky engine.
In the meantime :

I understand the frustration, as this type of problem has affected all of us in some way, but is it really fair to put Elden Ring’s Deck performance on the developer when it’s Steam that controls Proton’s optimization?

adamsapple

I understand the frustration, as this type of problem has affected all of us in some way, but is it really fair to put Elden Ring’s Deck performance on the developer when it’s Steam that controls Proton’s optimization?

From's tech issues go far beyond Steam Deck, Valve just happened to put in the extra work to optimized it on Steam Deck in this case.

It'll be a little odd of Sony, MS have to have their internal teams do patch work on games released on consoles.

From's tech issues go far beyond Steam Deck, Valve just happened to put in the extra work to optimized it on Steam Deck in this case.

It'll be a little odd of Sony, MS have to have their internal teams do patch work on games released on consoles.
Yes, but we’re not talking about Sony, MS, or regular Steam here. We’re talking about Steam Deck.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The point is these are issues present in the Windows version, and they are fixable issues.

The article is pointing that out; not that Valve is fixing issues specific to Steam Deck.. they are fixing issues with Windows Elden Ring by using Proton's translation layer to "fix" things that From could fix in Windows.

Yes, but we’re not talking about Sony, MS, or regular Steam here. We’re talking about Steam Deck.

That's where you are kind of wrong.. this thread is in fact about both Steam Deck, and "regular Steam" aka the windows version of Elden Ring.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Crazy, that Alex had the same issue I was having where the game paused for 2 split second pauses then speeds up. Turns out its to do with either your device manager refreshing and causing the game to stutter, or i have heard it can be caused by the Xbox app on windows 10/11.

I fixed mine as it was a dodgy printer driver causing my printer to refresh every few minutes in my device manager. Supposedly the Xbox issue is the way games use virtual disks.

I'll put money Alex is having the same issue I was having. Now its fixed my game runs just like Rich's.

Buggy Loop

I'm more curious now how come we aren't looking at Microsoft's side for the fuckup of an API and OS if Valve can modify their own OS to improve on this??

Sure, please From, improve however you can, but seriously, Microsoft looks bad here too. It seems to be truely either a bad DX12 version that maybe DX12 ultimate for ray tracing will fix, or it's API/OS side of things which i'm not sure FS can really do something?

Wildebeest

When I said that people should stick with proton on steamdeck instead of installing windows because that is what valve would support, they thought I was crazy. I am crazy, but it turns out not for saying that.

chaseroni

Crazy, that Alex had the same issue I was having where the game paused for 2 split second pauses then speeds up. Turns out its to do with either your device manager refreshing and causing the game to stutter, or i have heard it can be caused by the Xbox app on windows 10/11.

I fixed mine as it was a dodgy printer driver causing my printer to refresh every few minutes in my device manager. Supposedly the Xbox issue is the way games use virtual disks.

I'll put money Alex is having the same issue I was having. Now its fixed my game runs just like Rich's.
I have the same issue, tried to disable a bunch of stuff in device manager and couldn't resolve it...
Playing on PS5 until I can find a solution, or From gets their shit together.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
With the Switch being a portable X360, its nice knowing the Deck is going to be a portable PS4 at 800p.

Seriously just having cutting edge running with very little cutbacks is huge. Part of what the Switch drove was taking PS360 games and run them near-flawless, and PS4/XBO with significant compromises.

With Deck, the latter is now mitigated.

bender

What time is it?
LTT reported similar things in their Deck running Windows video. That video took all the wind out of my sails for the Deck, unfortunately.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have the same issue, tried to disable a bunch of stuff in device manager and couldn't resolve it...
Playing on PS5 until I can find a solution, or From gets their shit together.

have you got two monitors at all?
can you open up device manager and have it on another screen and see if it refreshes just as the stutters happen?

also, do you have the Xbox app installed and Xbox games installed? deleting Xbox games and the app fixed my friends copy.

also, the app that was messing my game up was HP Smart for hp Printers and specifically the hp printer driver for my wifi printer. I had to uninstall the printer from device manager and make sure to tick the remove driver option.

hopefully you can sort it as it was doing my head in. Smooth sailing now though. Plus I’m building my new pc tomorrow so wish me luck haha.

Sooo does that mean playing it on Linux is better than windows now? 😳
You damn green rats 🤣. But this is an interesting question. Maybe it does run better, or just precompiled shaders on the deck? Maybe this continues on? Microsoft just released the direct storage api on windows, so here's to hoping. Still runs better than console, but would love to get everything fully functional.

Wildebeest

Sooo does that mean playing it on Linux is better than windows now? 😳
Sounds like not because Valve have precompiled the shaders specifically for steamdeck hardware and with Linux desktop you will still probably need to compile the shaders for whatever you have when you play.

chaseroni

have you got two monitors at all?
can you open up device manager and have it on another screen and see if it refreshes just as the stutters happen?

also, do you have the Xbox app installed and Xbox games installed? deleting Xbox games and the app fixed my friends copy.

also, the app that was messing my game up was HP Smart for hp Printers and specifically the hp printer driver for my wifi printer. I had to uninstall the printer from device manager and make sure to tick the remove driver option.

hopefully you can sort it as it was doing my head in. Smooth sailing now though. Plus I’m building my new pc tomorrow so wish me luck haha.

DUDE I HAVE AN HP PRINTER DRIVER THATS ON WIFI I AM TRYING THIS NOW OMG

chaseroni

SO I do not want to jinx anything but after uninstalling that HP driver and literally every xbox game I had on PC

it kept happening.

I opened device manager like DenchDeckard DenchDeckard mentioned and played the game in windowed mode, and I saw immediately when the game hung up, device manager was refreshing.

So then I uninstalled the Xbox app itself, and SO FAR it has been very smooth and hasn't hitched like that again.

I will update this post if things change but holy crap, this might be it :messenger_loudly_crying:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
LTT reported similar things in their Deck running Windows video. That video took all the wind out of my sails for the Deck, unfortunately.
Well ER and many games will just run better on Steam OS on the Deck.

But people really do need to understand this thing is gonna run a lot of modern games at 720p30 regardless.. I have had a Deck since early December and find it incredibly underwhelming perf wise in general.

That's been my experience with a ton of sort of "new entry" "handheld gadgets".. the first pre-smartphone handheld internet devices were terrible and barely worked yet all had rave reviews lol

bender

What time is it?
Well ER and many games will just run better on Steam OS on the Deck.

But people really do need to understand this thing is gonna run a lot of modern games at 720p30 regardless.. I have had a Deck since early December and find it incredibly underwhelming perf wise in general.

That's been my experience with a ton of sort of "new entry" "handheld gadgets".. the first pre-smartphone handheld internet devices were terrible and barely worked yet all had rave reviews lol

It's mostly about how undercooked the Windows experience is on Deck. My GoG library is massive.

onesvenus

I'm more curious now how come we aren't looking at Microsoft's side for the fuckup of an API and OS if Valve can modify their own OS to improve on this??

Sure, please From, improve however you can, but seriously, Microsoft looks bad here too. It seems to be truely either a bad DX12 version that maybe DX12 ultimate for ray tracing will fix, or it's API/OS side of things which i'm not sure FS can really do something?

So basically, its windows bloat. How expected.

Crazy how people can say this when there are lots of examples using windows and DX12 working great.

It's obvious DX12 requires specific work to be done that From are not used to do. Improving a game at driver-level, which is what this essentially is, has also been done in Windows for all major releases so I'm not sure this can be seen as a faulty piece on either Windows or DX12.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
SO I do not want to jinx anything but after uninstalling that HP driver and literally every xbox game I had on PC

it kept happening.

I opened device manager like DenchDeckard DenchDeckard mentioned and played the game in windowed mode, and I saw immediately when the game hung up, device manager was refreshing.

So then I uninstalled the Xbox app itself, and SO FAR it has been very smooth and hasn't hitched like that again.

I will update this post if things change but holy crap, this might be it :messenger_loudly_crying:

fingers crossed for you! It’s deffo something to do with how Elden ring and from soft games scan for hardware changes Every few minutes.

You would have noticed that you had the exact same stutter symptoms in sekiro and dark souls 3. It’s something they changed in their engine in the last year as I completed sekiro like 4 times on this same pc when it launched then I went back to it last week to test and it was doing the exact same thing like Elden ring, same for dark souls 3.

hope it’s worked and you can now enjoy this incredible game!

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
A week ago, a developer walks into Valve building:

"Man Elden Ring is really fun, but it runs like ass on the Deck"

Work bro:

I Got You Help GIF by The Cooligans

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Crazy how people can say this when there are lots of examples using windows and DX12 working great.

It's obvious DX12 requires specific work to be done that From are not used to do. Improving a game at driver-level, which is what this essentially is, has also been done in Windows for all major releases so I'm not sure this can be seen as a faulty piece on either Windows or DX12.

So, hang on: If a piece of software happens to work correctly under certain circumstances, then its not bugged? :D

Or does that only apply to games, and not OS elements or features? Because they seem fundamentally the same to me.

Top Bottom