• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diabetes-gaf - Warnings and Encouragement

Tygeezy

Yes there are always exceptions.

The problem is most cases of T1DM are diagnosed in children and teenagers. This population often has the worst blood glucose control.

T2DM can be completely reversed if action is taken early. However if you leave it long enough, your pancreas also loses the ability to function (although not to the same degree as T1DM)
Sure, but there is much better technology and tools now. You could monitor your Child's blood sugar remotely now with readings every 5 minutes. T2DM is much easier to reverse if you're obese, but that isn't the case for a lot of people. Three of the 4 people I know with it aren't obese.

The worst thing you hadn't mentioned about T1 that for the most part doesn't apply to to t2 unless they are on insulin is dealing with low blood sugar. CGM's though has been amazing tech though to warn you ahead of time of these issues.

OZ9000

Banned
Sure, but there is much better technology and tools now. You could monitor your Child's blood sugar remotely now with readings every 5 minutes. T2DM is much easier to reverse if you're obese, but that isn't the case for a lot of people. Three of the 4 people I know with it aren't obese.

The worst thing you hadn't mentioned about T1 that for the most part doesn't apply to to t2 unless they are on insulin is dealing with low blood sugar. CGM's though has been amazing tech though to warn you ahead of time of these issues.
T2DM is almost always associated with excess body weight and a culmination of poor lifestyle choices.

If you regularly exercise (a combination of both resistance training and aerobic activity), eat healthy, avoid alcohol, and do not consume food in the evening (your body naturally becomes more insulin resistant as the day goes on - insulin sensitivity is highest in the morning or when you wake up), then you are highly unlikely to get T2DM.

A ketogenic diet would be ideal for non-obese type 2 diabetics - I imagine they have a strong family history of diabetes. It is also more prevelent in Asian, South Asian, and Hispanic populations, where BMI targets are lower (<23 versus <25 for Caucasians).

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Type 1 is not worse or "the bad one." They are just different processes to the same outcome. The main difference in treatment is 100 % of type 1 diabetics have to be on insulin where a lot of type 2's can take medication. Type 2 isn't always preventable either. One of my neighbors has it and is not overweight. I also know somebody that was shot and had to have some of his pancreas removed and is now type 2.

Type 1 is exceptionally worse. It's a genetic disorder that will outright kill you in almost no time if left untreated.

Type 2 will make you miserable for months if left unnoticed and untreated, and it's complications will eventually kill you. Type 2 is exploding in numbers due to how fat and inactive the average person is becoming these days.

"The bad one" is clear, and it's a constant uphill battle to even educate people about. Like pulling teeth to get others on board with putting donation money into research or supply programs, while the common perception around all of it is driven by insanely fat people that eat themselves into sickness, and then wonder why life is so hard.

Tygeezy

Type 1 is exceptionally worse. It's a genetic disorder that will outright kill you in almost no time if left untreated.

Type 2 will make you miserable for months if left unnoticed and untreated, and it's complications will eventually kill you. Type 2 is exploding in numbers due to how fat and inactive the average person is becoming these days.

"The bad one" is clear, and it's a constant uphill battle to even educate people about. Like pulling teeth to get others on board with putting donation money into research or supply programs, while the common perception around all of it is driven by insanely fat people that eat themselves into sickness, and then wonder why life is so hard.
Type 1 was dramatically worse not even that long ago. With the CGMs and pumps treatment is light years over where it use to be. If you are proactive with your health as a type 1 you are often in better health than a lot of type 2's. type 1 isn't always a genetic disorder though. there are other factors environmental factors that are thought to play a role such as having a really bad viral illness I agree the messaging and education level of diabetes is incredibly poor. The general public doesn't know the difference between the two and just assumes it's all fatties with the disease.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Can I have a normal life as a diabetic?
Yes you can. There are very exceptional people with diabetes. You just always have to be mindful of it and take care of yourself.

257356054_10158584798051229_4918508783537375898_n.jpg

PhaseJump

Banned
Type 1 was dramatically worse not even that long ago. With the CGMs and pumps treatment is light years over where it use to be. If you are proactive with your health as a type 1 you are often in better health than a lot of type 2's. type 1 isn't always a genetic disorder though. there are other factors environmental factors that are thought to play a role such as having a really bad viral illness I agree the messaging and education level of diabetes is incredibly poor. The general public doesn't know the difference between the two and just assumes it's all fatties with the disease.

My brother in Christ. No.

In Type 1 the autoimmune response is triggered by the variables or causes you suggest, and the islet cells are attacked by the body due to the fundamental genetic disorder.

Being managable by advances in treatment doesn't negate that it's exceptionally worse if untreated. Type 2 people walk around for months or even years without knowing they have it. Type 1's eat and quickly end up in diabetic ketoacidosis.

We are seeing an uptick in Type 1 diabetics in chidren now, expected to be due to covid infections.

It doesn't suddenly mean covid causes Type 1 diabetes, as the media might spin it. It means their genetic disorder was triggered while responding to the new infection. The common cold could widespread cause this in people some day, but it doesn't make for good melodramatic news headlines.

Resistance to insulin is the other ballgame. More variables and reversible in some people. The stress of it on your body being another variable pathway in many people to triggering the Type 1 immune response, killing the islet cells, getting "the bad one", the OG juvenile diabetes.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

My brother in Christ. No.

In Type 1 the autoimmune response is triggered by the variables or causes you suggest, and the islet cells are attacked by the body due to the fundamental genetic disorder.

Being managable by advances in treatment doesn't negate that it's exceptionally worse if untreated. Type 2 people walk around for months or even years without knowing they have it. Type 1's eat and quickly end up in diabetic ketoacidosis.

We are seeing an uptick in Type 1 diabetics in chidren now, expected to be due to covid infections.

It doesn't suddenly mean covid causes Type 1 diabetes, as the media might spin it. It means their genetic disorder was triggered while responding to the new infection. The common cold could widespread cause this in people some day, but it doesn't make for good melodramatic news headlines.

Resistance to insulin is the other ballgame. More variables and reversible in some people. The stress of it on your body being another variable pathway in many people to triggering the Type 1 immune response, killing the islet cells, getting "the bad one", the OG juvenile diabetes.
You aren’t going to walk around for long with type 1 before it’s discovered. You’re losing weight, and peeing all the time and if you don’t take heed of those symptoms you will end up hospitalized and then end up on treatment.

Not all is known about type 1 at this time. Absolutely it’s predominantly genetic, but that doesn’t appear to be the case all the time.

In my case I got it at 30 and have no family history of it. Could be genetic, or it could have been some environmental factor.

nkarafo

• Urinate (pee) a lot, often at night
  • Are very thirsty
  • Lose weight without trying
  • Are very hungry
  • Have blurry vision
  • Have numb or tingling hands or feet
  • Feel very tired
  • Have very dry skin
  • Have sores that heal slowly
  • Have more infections than usual

I do have very dry skin. But i had that since forever.

I also feel tired all the time. But i assume that's mostly because i'm lazy, depressed and bored to death.

Not sure about the normal amount of pee/24h.

Also, i drink very little water. I'm never thirsty, especially on Winter. So i guess i'm good?

Both my parents have high levels of sugar but not yet diabetic. Thankfully they are aware and are generally careful in what they eat now. I eat garbage though. Also, i'm 40 but do pretty intense exercise 3 times/week. I think this helps balance my shitty diet since i'm still pretty good fat-level wise.

Guys I'm going to test myself for diabetes with a glucose meter. I've been going to the bathroom in the middle of the night recently and I'm worried that I might have it. I broke out my pop's old Accu-check meter and fortunately it had 2 test strips remaining, but the first one was rejected due to the test area being dusty and the second because I took too much time to input the blood. I'm going to buy some new test strips tomorrow and check, wish my luck and prayer for me!

OZ9000

Banned
I do have very dry skin. But i had that since forever.

I also feel tired all the time. But i assume that's mostly because i'm lazy, depressed and bored to death.

Not sure about the normal amount of pee/24h.

Also, i drink very little water. I'm never thirsty, especially on Winter. So i guess i'm good?

Both my parents have high levels of sugar but not yet diabetic. Thankfully they are aware and are generally careful in what they eat now. I eat garbage though. Also, i'm 40 but do pretty intense exercise 3 times/week. I think this helps balance my shitty diet since i'm still pretty good fat-level wise.
Hypothyroidism can cause some of your above symptoms.

But often the cure to feeling tired is to adopt more healthier habits. Exercise, sleep 7-8 hours a night etc.

Guys I'm going to test myself for diabetes with a glucose meter. I've been going to the bathroom in the middle of the night recently and I'm worried that I might have it. I broke out my pop's old Accu-check meter and fortunately it had 2 test strips remaining, but the first one was rejected due to the test area being dusty and the second because I took too much time to input the blood. I'm going to buy some new test strips tomorrow and check, wish my luck and prayer for me!

Just get your HbA1c tested - it's a more easier and accurate measure of your glucose control over the past 3 months.

Or if you're an old bloke, then it might be your prostate.

Just get your HbA1c tested - it's a more easier and accurate measure of your glucose control over the past 3 months.

Or if you're an old bloke, then it might be your prostate.
Fuck that dude, I'm bricking myself, I just want to do a home test. Please God let it be below 100!

PhaseJump

Banned
Worst thing about the home testing strips is the price of them if you have no insurance coverage. It absolutely pisses me off that we don't have universal pharmacare in Canada, yet the shit Liberals promised and failed to deliver it for 50 years or so.

These days we have crackhead lovers trying to get tax money diverted into safe injection sites and freebie needles for the junkies. Those assholes still go around discarding that dirty shit in playgrounds and parks. No sympathies from me while I'd be paying a dollar per test strip out of pocket.

Saiyan-Rox

Worst thing about the home testing strips is the price of them if you have no insurance coverage. It absolutely pisses me off that we don't have universal pharmacare in Canada, yet the shit Liberals promised and failed to deliver it for 50 years or so.

These days we have crackhead lovers trying to get tax money diverted into safe injection sites and freebie needles for the junkies. Those assholes still go around discarding that dirty shit in playgrounds and parks. No sympathies from me while I'd be paying a dollar per test strip out of pocket.

Yeah they're expensive and honestly create shit loads of waste too.

A whole opened pack of them wouldn't work for me last week so had to order some but while I waited I was gonna buy some but fuck that it's like £20 for them.

Dthomp

Do you have Walmarts around there? In the states I just use their Reli-On brand test stuff. 20 bucks for the meter, and I can get 2 50ct containers of test strips for 17.88. I mean this shit should be free to begin with, but screw all of us right?

Last edited:

Dthomp

Fuck that dude, I'm bricking myself, I just want to do a home test. Please God let it be below 100!

I suggest testing a few times throughout the day to see what is happening. I'm not sure how a healthy persons blood glucose would be shortly after a meal but I'd imagine if you test after eating you'll be slightly elevated so make sure you've got some time between eatings and or drinks that contain sugar to test so you can get an accurate type reading

ChazAshley

Gold Member
I know some people say it doesn't make a difference, but wash your hands before pricking yourself. You never know.

And as Dthomp Dthomp said, test yourself throughout the day - maybe 30 mins - 1 hour after you eat something - and then again 2 hours if you are curious. Just by personal anecdotal evidence, glucose strips always have a margin of error of 5-10 points for me so... take that as you will. If you have "high" levels - I do really recommend the A1c - that way you can least check if you're prediabetic.

CDC_Diabetes_Social_Ad_Concept_A2_Facebook.png

Top Bottom