• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 Remaster, called Diablo 2 Resurrected, to be announced at Blizzcon 2021

Xyphie

Doing sprites (which were really just preprojected 3D models in D2 for performance reasons) would suck, especially for monsters/characters. It's going to look and play much more fluidly with a real 3D engine rather than baking your high-res 3D models into a bunch of GIF animations and run them at 25 FPS like they did 20 years ago.

i'll buy it either way. i don't mind the diablo 3 graphics but yeah i hope they go with the darker and grittier visuals like 4.
I like cartoony graphics but not on games called "Diablo". Just me tho, I want to like 3 but the art style looks too much like WoW.

It'd look pretty sick if they used 4's engine!

Doing sprites (which were really just preprojected 3D models in D2 for performance reasons) would suck, especially for monsters/characters. It's going to look and play much more fluidly with a real 3D engine rather than baking your high-res 3D models into a bunch of GIF animations and run them at 25 FPS like they did 20 years ago.
Remasters are the best thing ACTVI did this gen, if they say "remaster" they're likely actually meaning "remaster plus" which is closer to a remake. That's at least what I hope for but gotta keep expectations low.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Why do I have a bad feeling about Diablo 2?

I got feeling that they adopted EA strategy of abandoning games that didn't got much popularity in their launch timeframe.

Maybe this could be even a hidden strategy to impulse D4.

Saber

Gold Member
People in this thread forgetting that they've just rolled Vicarious Visions into Blizzard for a very good reason. They just absolutely smashed the Crash and THPS remakes; normally, yes, I would say that a D2 Remake would be a total disaster, but with the VV talent on board it might actually turn out halfway decent. Who knows.

You forgot to mention that the team itself was integrated as a part of D2 remaking team. Who knows who call shots there, let alone given them the libertity or resources to do so.

If the idea is letting Vicarious do the job, so would be the best to leave them alone in charge of the remake, without adding any in their team in the process. Something like Sega did with Atlus, I mean why change if the team is winning?

Last edited:

amigastar

vintage milk GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You forgot to mention that the team itself was integrated as a part of D2 remaking team. Who knows who call shots there, let alone given them the libertity or resources to do so.

If the idea is letting Vicarious do the job, so would be the best to leave them alone in charge of the remake, without adding any in their team in the process. Something like Sega did with Atlus, I mean why change if the team is winning?

That's the ideal. Hopefully they look at the reception of Crash and THPS vs. Warcraft 3 and just say "you guys deal with this".

If I should compare wow classic with shadowlands, then I'm sure D2 will crush baby Diablo 4.

Unless you want to hold your hands with Blizzard

I'm more talking about how, for better or worse, they largely left WoW Classic as it is, warts and all. It's a horribly outdated game with archaic mechanics and systems that a ton of people quit playing after a day, but everyone else only kept playing because they left it alone. If they try to modernise D2 too much, people won't play it.

MMaRsu

Banned
Why would you still buy anything from Blizzard these days 😂

They have shown many times they dont give a fuck about the fanbase

TheContact

these all sound awesome, and i'm SUPER fucking excited for BC classic and d2 remaster. i'm so fucking hyped. but one thing i want to mention is the wow battle pet mobile game. the pokemon clone in game is a fairly decent mini game and it would be amazing on mobile!

Interfectum

When all else fails just remake a game from when you were actually a talented developer and try not to fuck it up too much. They failed with WC3 lets see how they do here.

TheContact

So basically they got nothing.

Bunch of remakes that probably will be piss poor and a mobile game? that's it?

this is blizzard in 2021+. overwatch 2 isn't even coming out this year. they haven't added any new heroes in 10 months. they're going to milk the games in the era where they were king. but i'm not complaining about that. BC and d2 remaster make me happy

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Not holding my breath for Blizzzard products anymore. Too many years where they`ve just released duds and cheap rehashes while banking on their good reputation from the 90s and early 2000s.

Kacho

Gold Member
When all else fails just remake a game from when you were actually a talented developer and try not to fuck it up too much. They failed with WC3 lets see how they do here.
The WC3R team got gutted recently and Activision put that studio that did the Crash and Tony Hawk remakes on the game. I think it’s in good hands tbh.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This reminds me when people actually gave a shit about "Blizzard time" because they were only putting out hits, now they're just putting out shits.

Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, and Hearthstone were great games.

Warcraft III reforged really hurt you guys huh?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Overwatch came out 5 years ago, Heroes came out 6 years ago, and Hearthstone came out 7 years ago.

Been a while.

Then shouldn't they be labeled slow rather than bad?

Reforged was a small product that sucked. Everything else Blizzard has made has been wonderful.

Doesn't it make sense that we see their post Overwatch, Heroes, Hearthstone games before shoveling dirt on them?

Phase

Doesn't it make sense that we see their post Overwatch, Heroes, Hearthstone games before shoveling dirt on them?
Not with their recent practices as a company. The dirt should keep being shoveled until they make a game good enough to break out from under the pile.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not with their recent practices as a company. The dirt should keep being shoveled until they make a game good enough to break out from under the pile.

We're judging developers based on "practices" rather than game releases now?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
How are they remastering a 2D isometric title? The same way they remastered Baldur's Gate I and II on PC and mobile?
That basically boils it down to higher resolution sprites, support for higher monitor resolutions and a new executable for new windows versions.

TheContact

How are they remastering a 2D isometric title? The same way they remastered Baldur's Gate I and II on PC and mobile?
That basically boils it down to higher resolution sprites, support for higher monitor resolutions and a new executable for new windows versions.

i think the issue they'll run into is remastering the pre-rendered backgrounds. the sprites should be super easy to swap out. i'm curious to see if they'll do any kind of ML-AI assistance like this or more accurately this

We can have different opinion on the subject, but i quit playing the PC version to play the console version. I feel its the better version, gameplay is great. Sure one thing i hope is that they fix the hacking scene for seasonal, but its not where i pass my time on it. Its just overall D3 on console feels like the finish product and the PC version is harder to play, feel like a beta version. Im hard on it i know. I jist feel it play way smoother than on PC. I pass many hours on D2 on PC too, just hope to see it on console! Hey, we got D1 and D3 on console, why not D2.

Sure, but thats a personal preference of yours, probably because you're mainly a console player. Diablo 3 on console was nerfed in every way imaginable in order to be playable on pads, and that was already a simplistic game on PC. Controllers are only ever able to play games because said games have a bajilion assists running in the background for everything. I pray that if this Diablo 2 remaster exists it will never, in all creation, come to any console. Just keep the authentic Pc game, with no gimping, no assists and no dumbness of its systems to accomodate pads. The result is very simple, want to play Diablo 2 - play it on a computer, as a computer game.

Fake

Necromancer is where it's at, baby.

My brother usually get mage class, I use close combat char like Druid werewolf. Not a huge fan of Necromancer. I remember a long time ago playing with my school friend at lan house and all of them play with Necromancer.

Hudo

My brother usually get mage class, I use close combat char like Druid werewolf. Not a huge fan of Necromancer. I remember a long time ago playing with my school friend at lan house and all of them play with Necromancer.
I never "got" the Druid. Just wasn't fun for me but I always admired the people who played him.

MF sorc is really where it's at, though the necro is my favorite class (though they suck at end game)
That is also an acceptable answer.

TheContact

I never "got" the Druid. Just wasn't fun for me but I always admired the people who played him.

That is also an acceptable answer.

i remember elemental druids being good in normal but once you start getting to nm and hell when a lot of the mobs have high magic resist, it becomes hard to play that class, but then again i was pretty done with d2 by the time the 'synergy' mechanic and the runeword buffs so every class is probably viable now at all difficulties if i had to guess

Last edited:

wa600

Would be amazing, although I think the gameplay would benefit alot from some tweaks here and there.

Absolutely could not get into Diablo 3. We started a 2-player coop and got to the last chapter I think. It bored me to death.

Top Bottom