• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 Resurrected - Early Access Beta August 13th, Open Beta August 20th

Nah. It's a remake.
Remaster is resolution, fps etc.
Remake is demon's souls
Reboot is reimagining
it's a remaster.

it's pretty much the same game that came out 2 decades ago.

"The remaster's design philosophy required the game to be identical to what legacy players remembered. While the developers did not make even minor changes to core gameplay, they upgraded the game's visuals, modeling its remastered graphics on art from the original game. The remaster includes some small usability changes like the Shared Stash and automatic gold pickup. Some new conveniences, like the latter, can be toggled to the user's playstyle preference.[2]

Last edited:
Nah. It's a remake.
Remaster is resolution, fps etc.
Remake is demon's souls
Reboot is reimagining
Screen-Shot-2021-08-21-at-1-06-28-AM.png

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Larry David Reaction GIF

I was sure this was day 1 for me but after a few hours, However as a series X player Im not so sure. I hate the inventory system to death. There's no way I'm gonna be managing individual potions like that. The graphics are very detailed and really digging the style, BUT I find my eyes are getting strained playing it. I can't help but feel this was designed to be played on a monitor close up. The game play itself felt kind of clunky. I can tell this was not designed around a controller. The drops are a mess and that font :messenger_anguished:

Adjusting the brightness might help with the eye strain?

And yea I agree, after having played Diablo 3 on a console (PS4) I am surprised they didn't put more work into the inventory system for console players. It's one thing to try to retain certain feels from the original, but IMO when remastering a dev should focus on fixing old QoL issues first, presentation second. *shrug*

Jesus, do people in here not realise they are playing a 20 year old game?

A remaster of a twenty year old game (Edit: as others have pointed out, perhaps this rises to the case of a remake but I am not so sure...). I think it's fine to point out mechanical issues with a remaster. I mean, fixing old design issues is part of the entire point of remastering something.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
it's a remaster.

it's pretty much the same game that came out 2 decades ago.

"The remaster's design philosophy required the game to be identical to what legacy players remembered. While the developers did not make even minor changes to core gameplay, they upgraded the game's visuals, modeling its remastered graphics on art from the original game. The remaster includes some small usability changes like the Shared Stash and automatic gold pickup. Some new conveniences, like the latter, can be toggled to the user's playstyle preference.[2]
I still don't agree.
Remaster is when you re master your current assets. Like scan old movie tape in 8k.
This is clearly a remake (not a reboot) as it's using all new assets

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I haven't played single player in a LONG time but I'm pretty sure the map only reset once you changed difficulties. I could be wrong.

Both single player and multiplayer works the same way.

Games like torchlight etc doesn't change map but d2r did.

Both single player and multiplayer works the same way.

Games like torchlight etc doesn't change map but d2r did.
I don't think that's correct. I did a quick google search, you can find tons of old threads asking how to re-roll the map in single player.

those were the first 2 to pop up. this also matches my memory.

cliff notes: it resets if you change difficulty

Last edited:

Warablo

I don't think they changed the game enough to classify as a remake, but in my mind a remake is basically a reimagining. Like if it was a remake you wouldn't be able to change the graphic style on the fly like you can in this.

I agree, I just want the game to come out, its all I think about. I think I have a problem.

Last edited:
I don't think they changed the game enough to classify as a remake, but in my mind a remake is basically a reimagining. Like if it was a remake you wouldn't be able to change the graphic style on the fly like you can in this.

I agree, I just want the game to come out, its all I think about. I think I have a problem.
I keep catching myself farming in the goddamn beta. I ask myself wtf am I doing and I turn off the game.

couple hours later in back on farming...

I also think I have a problem.

Inviusx

Now that I'm tomb farming the lack of lobbies on console is immediately apparent and disastrous.

They really need to remedy this but sadly I feel like they are going to hit us with the "we looked into this option but due to technical limitations we won't be bringing lobbies to console".

Now that I'm tomb farming the lack of lobbies on console is immediately apparent and disastrous.

They really need to remedy this but sadly I feel like they are going to hit us with the "we looked into this option but due to technical limitations we won't be bringing lobbies to console".

They are getting tons of backlash for the lack of lobbies so hopefully they listen. If they don’t, people will have to choose certain quests as code for what they want to do. Like join act 1 Cain quest for Baal runs, etc.

I’ll also probably start relying on the discord to find groups if it isn’t added.

but yeah I’m hoping it changes.

Inviusx

They are getting tons of backlash for the lack of lobbies so hopefully they listen. If they don’t, people will have to choose certain quests as code for what they want to do. Like join act 1 Cain quest for Baal runs, etc.

I’ll also probably start relying on the discord to find groups if it isn’t added.

I'm doing Act 2 final quest for Tomb runs but not really finding any groups larger than 1 other person. Unsure if this is a technical issue with the beta or if people aren't sure how the match making works.

cormack12

Gold Member
I keep rubber banding when trying to run away from being swarmed. Is this because we're technically still online or is it an engine thing?

Also fuck that bitch in the graveyard running round and kiting. And the ice arrows are fucking horrible lol

Warablo

No idea why cross progression is a thing but cross play isn't. Certainly wouldn't be fair for loot in pub games, but a healthy population would be nice.

I keep rubber banding when trying to run away from being swarmed. Is this because we're technically still online or is it an engine thing?

Also fuck that bitch in the graveyard running round and kiting. And the ice arrows are fucking horrible lol

Usually happens in doorways or tight gaps in a wall.

Last edited:
I'm doing Act 2 final quest for Tomb runs but not really finding any groups larger than 1 other person. Unsure if this is a technical issue with the beta or if people aren't sure how the match making works.
It has to be a technical issue. I decided to test it and attempted to match make at around 7pm today for the beginning of act 1. It took a while to actually JOIN an existing game and not CREATE a new game.

there is no way there weren’t available games to join Friday night of the open beta.

but who knows, maybe people don’t know how to use it correctly. I played the beta for like 40 hours before I found out you could join pvp matches.

Last edited:

Server issue. Should be fixed given the purpose of the beta.
No idea why cross progression is a thing but cross play isn't.
I believe they said they aren’t ruling it out for the future? Overwatch took forever to get cross play but it finally did.

Last edited:

Nozz-A-La

I hate to think how many hours I have in the original Diablo 2, and have been cautiously excited for this game, but I absolutely won’t be buying it unless they add lobbies to consoles. End game would be far too frustrating without them and it boggles my mind why they thought it’d be okay to not have them.

balt1kr1s

What an immense nostalgia trip this is.
I’m helping a friend in his game with who I used to go to Internet cafe when we were 13 years old (group of 5) to play this game, fucking amazing feeling.(I’m 33 now)

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I played it for a while and I'm impressed by what they achieved.
It really looks and feels like Diablo 2, but updated. This is probably the best remake, since the Spyro Trilogy.
The graphics look great, but still faithful to the original. The music is the same, but sounds much better.
And the gameplay is exactly what I expected. I even tried to play with a X360 controller and it works well.
But after a couple of hours, I was bored. Maybe because I'm older, maybe because my taste in games have changed a bit, maybe because I'm at the start and still using the basic abilities.
But the game feels so grinding.
I might try to play it again and push a bit further.....

Calverz

Remember Xbox had the looking for group feature on the dash.

Game looks like how I falsely remember D2 as a kid. Turning on legacy mode really blew my mind, my eyes almost started bleeding, not only because of the two and half pixels per object, but also because the frame rate looked choppy as fuck.

cormack12

Gold Member
Game looks like how I falsely remember D2 as a kid. Turning on legacy mode really blew my mind, my eyes almost started bleeding, not only because of the two and half pixels per object, but also because the frame rate looked choppy as fuck.
How do you switch on the xbox. Been looking for the toggle. Tried the share button like halo: ce

sircaw

Banned
pretty happy with the performance of the servers yesterday. (on the ps4 version)

I noticed significantly less rubber banding, which happened once this time compared to dozens for the last test.

Five characters now, highest being level 25, overall experience + feel is fantastic.

I still don't agree.
Remaster is when you re master your current assets. Like scan old movie tape in 8k.
This is clearly a remake (not a reboot) as it's using all new assets
disagree all you want but doesn't make you right.

it's a remaster whether you agree or not.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fair, but back then you were watching it on 21’’ or less CRT monitors with much lower native resolutions and much much better scaling.

One day we will get ML powered proper CRT filters/like upscaling and uprezzing (like having a 4K CRT and improved assets).

Lanrutcon

Well, I sat down with the Beta.

Will deal with the latency issues until the community hacks LAN play back in, but apart from that: still magical. Can't wait to indulge in October.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
disagree all you want but doesn't make you right.

it's a remaster whether you agree or not.
You are simply wrong.
If it was a remaster, they would've RE MASTERED old assets. They made all new assets, sounds and graphics.
Clear signs of remake.

It is ok to be wrong but it's plain stupid to argue with facts.

oh btw - I don't give a crap about diablo 2. I never much liked it and just looked at 10 seconds of resurrected gameplay.

makaveli60

Yesterday I played this game for the first time ever. It was cool, felt nostalgic despite never having played it. Completed the first quest then took the route to the right after you come out of the starting place and some 10 amazons or something butchered me. I guess I shouldn’t have gone there yet. But I stopped playing as progress won’t carry over to the full game unfortunately and I don’t want to waste time when I will have to start again anyway.

Lanrutcon

Yesterday I played this game for the first time ever. It was cool, felt nostalgic despite never having played it. Completed the first quest then took the route to the right after you come out of the starting place and some 10 amazons or something butchered me. I guess I shouldn’t have gone there yet. But I stopped playing as progress won’t carry over to the full game unfortunately and I don’t want to waste time when I will have to start again anyway.

Ah, it's a special encounter that only spawns if the game detects a chad at the keyboard. By being extremely manly and awesome, the game felt it had no choice but to send a harem of attack women at you. Men like us have to play hard mode, I'm afraid. See you in the release version.

Nico_D

This makes D3 seem ridiculously easy, which it was. Just running through the levels. That's not happening in D2 even on normal difficulty.

cormack12

Gold Member
This makes D3 seem ridiculously easy, which it was. Just running through the levels. That's not happening in D2 even on normal difficulty.
I'm finding swarms a pain in the ass. And the environment itself like gravestones and puddles also a bastard to navigate

omegasc

D3 was not easy on release day. Champions and Elites were a big deal before - some affixes were hell. It got easy because people complained.

Tg89

D3 was not easy on release day. Champions and Elites were a big deal before - some affixes were hell. It got easy because people complained.
eh, it was a joke compared to d2 still.

though, to be fair, the version of d2 that this is based off is quite a bit harder than it was on original release/basically up until 1.10. especially once you get to Hell where resists legit become a pain in the ass.

depends on your build and some luck with items though, a zealot for example can pretty mindlessly go through this beta with ease.

Last edited:
Playing on PS5 and the lag is very annoying! It's making everything unbearable especially the item management which they should've revamped for controllers since it's still favors mouse users.

On the plus side i was enjoying a helluva lot better than when i tried playing it on my laptop 4 years ago and getting the full Diablo 3 collection is a bouns was fantastic as i'm in love with playing the Necromancer right now.

crozier

For some reason my beta download says View Product rather than Play. I can’t get into the beta. Everything is updated and should be gtg.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Played this on Xbox series x today.

The controls in the menus, and the inventory system just does not work with a controller. Not being able to have your inventory open while being able to run around will make the challenging sections and difficulty levels of this game much much harder. Looting is hard, comparing loot is hard, targeting enemies is hard. The graphics and feel are really nice, still feels like the original. But after playing Diablo 3 this is a hard pill to swallow unfortunately.

Will probably pick it up on pc though.

You are simply wrong.
If it was a remaster, they would've RE MASTERED old assets. They made all new assets, sounds and graphics.
Clear signs of remake.

It is ok to be wrong but it's plain stupid to argue with facts.

oh btw - I don't give a crap about diablo 2. I never much liked it and just looked at 10 seconds of resurrected gameplay.
your logic is fucked up. in order to remaster old assets they'd need to make all new assets...right?

you said a remaster is improved resolution/fps. it also includes new models/textures. a remake is remaking the game. if you actually bothered to play the beta you'd see that the original game is still there and you can toggle between it and new visuals with the press of a button. so it's basically the same game but with a new visual layer over it. so it's a remaster.

anyway, we can argue all the live long day but if you take a look at the official diablo 2 site you can see that Blizzard (y'know the studio that made it) call it a remaster.

"Diablo® II: Resurrected™ is a remastered version of the quintessential action RPG Diablo® II."

"Remastered graphics—monsters, heroes, items, spells, all resurrected."

"Classic gameplay—the same Diablo II you know and love, preserved."

so...case closed. you're wrong. enjoy your day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom