• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 Resurrected - Early Access Beta August 13th, Open Beta August 20th

treemk

Banned
Meh, there's plenty of new ARPGs trying different things with "modern" gameplay.

The gameplay/systems are what make Diablo II what they are. It's the reason a ton of people still play it despite there being a Diablo 3 available.
I'm not asking for the game to be overhauled.
I have and love Diablo 2, so asking $40 for a game I already have should offer more, I think.
You guys seem to think I want a ton of changes, I don't, I'd be happy with a stash upgrade and widescreen patch for LoD.
For a new game, I shouldn't be getting lag and desync like I was 20 years go.
My follower should not be getting stuck around corners and stairs like a moron.
There is room for updating things without changing too much of what makes D2 good, I'm just curious what Blizzards though process is to add gold pickup and stash space and call it a day.
Their creative ability is in the gutter, and players are so worried they will fuck something up they are happy with them doing nothing.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Bought it. Tried beta. Refunded.

This was great 20 years ago. I don't understand why you'd play this now, let alone play almost full price for it, when PoE exists. It feels, to me, like a low effort remaster/cash grab. If Diablo was still the ARPG market leader, this might be something, but as it stands, they've been eclipsed by their descendents. PoE and Grim Dawn are both infinitely more effective at scratching this itch.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is it just a Xbox thing, or are you PS and PC gamers getting this issue too....

... when you start plunking inventory items that are more than 1 space big (like a potion), the item and slot placement is misaligned so if you have a vertical 3 square item like a sword, you got to place it about 1 square lower in your slots or else it'll put it higher than you want?

Very annoying.

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
Is it just a Xbox thing, or are you PS and PC gamers getting this issue too....

... when you start plunking inventory items that are more than 1 space big (like a potion), the item and slot placement is misaligned so if you have a vertical 3 square item like a sword, you got to place it about 1 square lower in your slots or else it'll put it higher than you want?

Very annoying.

That has not happened to me on pc or ps4

I'm not asking for the game to be overhauled.
I have and love Diablo 2, so asking $40 for a game I already have should offer more, I think.
You guys seem to think I want a ton of changes, I don't, I'd be happy with a stash upgrade and widescreen patch for LoD.
For a new game, I shouldn't be getting lag and desync like I was 20 years go.
My follower should not be getting stuck around corners and stairs like a moron.
There is room for updating things without changing too much of what makes D2 good, I'm just curious what Blizzards though process is to add gold pickup and stash space and call it a day.
Their creative ability is in the gutter, and players are so worried they will fuck something up they are happy with them doing nothing.
It's a remaster. They literally just put a graphics engine on top of the old game and that's it. There are some minor changes but they're not really worth mentioning. It's the old game through and through.

AJUMP23

Was checking it out with my son who is 7. And he thought the music was great. He also got in and killed some bad guys with some mouse clicks.

CF58-EAE4-5-B2-D-4-C6-F-BDF8-B85669609-F45.png
Accidentally made 2, if anyone wants one let me know

used a base staff that has + to fireball for both.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Also gave the PS5 version a try. It plays better with a controller than it has any right to being so old and made for a mouse, that was unexpected.

DarkestHour

Banned
Bought it. Tried beta. Refunded.

This was great 20 years ago. I don't understand why you'd play this now, let alone play almost full price for it, when PoE exists. It feels, to me, like a low effort remaster/cash grab. If Diablo was still the ARPG market leader, this might be something, but as it stands, they've been eclipsed by their descendents. PoE and Grim Dawn are both infinitely more effective at scratching this itch.

Same feelings here. They need to do more than just make the graphics pretty. It's still fun to me, but not $40 fun, maybe $20. Maybe.

P.S - Fuck inventory management.

Last edited:
Jesus, do people in here not realise they are playing a 20 year old game?
There are a LOT of newcomers to this game. So much so that the player base will largely be divided into several distinct camps:

(1) People who played original D2. Nostalgia rules everything here, they will overlook the hellish free-for-all loot drops on the ground, the clunky inventory management, the nonexistent potion management, the classic old-school Battle.net lag, and all the other things which are (intentionally) left completely unchanged from 21 years ago. These people are the actual targets of this remaster, incidentally.

(2) People who started with Diablo III. These people are in a for a rude awakening. Say what you will about it, D3 dramatically streamlined and optimized a lot of gameplay systems and mechanics from D2. Whether it's an overall better game than D2 is not the subject of this post. But D3 is a whole different animal, it's like going back from DOOM 2016 to original DOOM 1994 for these people.

(3) People who never played Diablo. These people probably came from WoW or something. Man, they are going to be pissed about how clunky this game is underneath the modern graphics engine. Whatever, fuck em, they're WoW players. :messenger_sunglasses:

(4) Console players. D3 was designed from the ground up to be well playable with controllers. D2 was designed only for use with a mouse and keyboard. I have no idea what Blizzard is thinking here. Just imagining playing D2 on a controller is enough to make my hands hurt. I feel sorry for some of these guys, because they might be in Group (2) and think it will be just like D3 on their consoles and honestly it's not, it's going to be much much worse.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
P.S - Fuck inventory management.
I feel the same way. Nothing chases me away from a game faster than being 3 minutes in and being told I'm overburdened and can't carry any more items. It just flips a switch in my brain and kills the experience for me.

I've gone back and forth between wanting to purchase this one and not, but I'm leaning towards staying away. I only played this briefly as a kid (though I really enjoyed the more casual Diablo 3), and I'm not sure I'm looking for something this involved. I was about to pull the trigger on the D2R+D3 bundle so I could play through D3 on console, but I read that the XSX version has an issue where it only displays at 1080p instead of the 4K60 like the X1X version. Yuck.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
are we done here?

d2 resurrected is the best shit to have graced this planet of god awful "aaa" games the past 15 years.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally got my nagelring. Now I'm torn as to whether to slap myself for farming a nagelring in the beta or continue farming for a second nagelring.
i got 2 nagelring in 2 andy runs... then got a third one within the next hour. Kaachan Kaachan can actually confirm this, I thought they had been fucking up the loot table drop rate but good loot never showed up from andy after that lol

i got 2 nagelring in 2 andy runs... then got a third one within the next hour. Kaachan Kaachan can actually confirm this, I thought they had been fucking up the loot table drop rate but good loot never showed up from andy after that lol
Nice! My MF is pretty low. I think it’s around 55%.

so after messing around with each class outside of barb, gonna have to say fire sorc with leaf is just ridiculous for the beta.

instead of making Nadir I just threw two Tir runes in a helm. 4 mana per kill and the fire ball kills multiple enemies at a time. Hardly use any mana. Tomes takes like a couple mins to clear.

bender

What time is it?
are we done here?

d2 resurrected is the best shit to have graced this planet of god awful "aaa" games the past 15 years.

Is it weird that I'm mostly excited about D2, Super Monkey Ball Collection, Cruis'n Blast and Warioware for the rest of the year ?And I'm writing this post while taking a break from playing Quake.

Lanrutcon

Listen, at some point someone said Druids suck and I think I may have told that person they're wrong and I apologize for that now.

I forgot how much Druids suck.

Especially when you think about how broken Assassins are.

Listen, at some point someone said Druids suck and I think I may have told that person they're wrong and I apologize for that now.

I forgot how much Druids suck.

Especially when you think about how broken Assassins are.
I think at some point in the game's original lifetime every class was good and every class had at least one hilariously broken build. Most classes had multiple wonderfully broken builds. You used to be able to solo by just slaughtering everything inside the Cow Level in an 8-player game easily with one or more builds with every class.

Then Blizzard started swinging the nerfbats every single time someone found a cool new broken build. For over a decade. 21 years later.....

Last edited:
Holy shit what a great game. I only played the beta for an hour or so but damn.. I'm buying this day 1 for the PS5. It's so great being able to play it with a controller!

It's like slipping into a very comfortable shirt, Ahhh. Also, it's almost shocking how much better and more enjoyable this game is game is to me, compared to Diablo 3. In every aspect.

Yoshichan

Performance on ps5?

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I did not enjoy that at all. I have fond memories of Diablo 2, but I was disappointed when I played this. It is what it is: a remaster of a 20 year old game. Somehow, I expected more. Probably my fault, since I didn't read too much about this before trying.

Glad I could cancel my pre-order.

Finally got my nagelring. Now I'm torn as to whether to slap myself for farming a nagelring in the beta or continue farming for a second nagelring.

You should be slapped and given a handshake. That ring is a must have. I started doing countess runs, then after about 30, I stopped after I realized this was all leading to the nothingburger.
I don't think I have it in me to do 900 pindle runs a day, anymore. So I'm thinking Baal runs and fight for the loot with groups, might be the way to go.

Still, I wish/hope they go back and revisit cows. Give us multiple choices for end game exp grinding. They ruined the game when they nerfed cows. Sons of bitches, over there.

Neolombax

Had a decent experience on base ps4 though a bit surprised it couldnt run at 60fps. Glad there was an open beta, decided to not purchase this at all.

ultrazilla

Played the beta on both my PC and PS5 and both are IMO pretty much the same experience. I mean, my PC will always have an edge on my PS5 but you
really have to look hard to nitpick.

First time I've ever played Diablo 2 and I'm loving this. The controller support is implemented very, very well. I'm "old school" mouse and keyboard
with these type games but man, the controller just feels better IMO.

Day 1 for my brother Solarstrike Solarstrike and I. We're gonna be sinking a lot of co-op time into this. For all the crap Blizzard has taken lately(rightfully so I might add)
it's at least a bit reassuring that this remaster/remake looks and plays great.

Diablo-2-Resurrected-class-lineup-amazon-barbarian-assassin-sorceress-paladin-druid-necromancer.jpg

Highly, highly recommended!

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Played on my crappy laptop and of course I didn’t enjoy it. Then tried on my PS4 and loved it again. Definitely going to buy it now.

Is legacy mode available on PS4?

So for those of you who preordered, you doing softcore or hardcore? I can’t decide. Always did HC growing up but idk if I have that sort of time anymore.

balt1kr1s

I have this scary feeling this game is going to be rest of my year. Easily.
Same for me, I was supposed to ignore This, but after playing open beta cant stop thinking about my potential assassin with Death traps, that smell of electrified and exploded demons bodies makes me wiggle wiggle

Knightime_X

I played this with a controller for the first time yestertday.
It feels so much better than a mouse and I've been using a mouse this whole time.
The more I play with an Xbox controller, the harder it is to want to go back to mouse.

Top Bottom