• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 Resurrected - Early Access Beta August 13th, Open Beta August 20th

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I submitted a report but hopefully they make the map a bit easier to see the exits/doors/entrances. Had to switch to legacy since I couldn't find the next level in one area lol

Here's what I mean :

Everyone, like, EVERYONE (see Reddit and mrLama survey) have complained about this so they HAVE to fix this shit.

good to see so many new players get to enjoy this classic. used to play it to death with some friends. went and dug into my old PC game stuff and even thou I can't find my original discs, I did find the "battle chest edition" I bought again later on.

so a question regarding the game when it's released, is it going to require always online even if I just want to play single player? and I assume QOL mods like auto pick up stuff will also not be allow?

I played D3 near launch and it was indeed brutally difficult... and stayed that way for maybe 6months-1 year? Forget about playing on anything higher than "standard" difficulty, it was nearly impossible in the last half of the game. Also I remember loot drops being incredibly stingy, and %95 of the good loot drops WEREN'T usable by your class. Man, that game was a hot mess at launch.
I remember that once you finished the first time, the next difficulty was quite tougher, and yes the loot was atrocious until they removed the auction house. But I don't recall it being "nearly impossible". Memories can be twisted after playing the game after some years though.
We found it really amusing that the asians already posted pics of them defeating diablo 6h before the european release 😂

martino

i would be in for the gamepad but there multiple problem with it (door , some stair in act 2) and the knock-back mechanic locking the character is horrible in this case
also the gamepad interface is 10 times worse than diablo 3 one and feel half-assed in comparison (like grim dawn or path of exile one)
for all those reasons gamepad is a big no for me. So no day one, i will wait a huge discount and play it like old times.

balt1kr1s

I remember that once you finished the first time, the next difficulty was quite tougher, and yes the loot was atrocious until they removed the auction house. But I don't recall it being "nearly impossible". Memories can be twisted after playing the game after some years though.
We found it really amusing that the asians already posted pics of them defeating diablo 6h before the european release 😂
Honestly normal/nightmare/hell were quite a breeze. The real problem was Inferno difficulty that was completely broken because in order to survive you needed items from next act which was ridiculous - you did not want to die on every elite group in act 2? You needed to have items from act 3. Unless you picked Demon Hunter on day 1 before was nerfed as combinations of skills allowed him to be immortal up to 1 minute as long as you didn’t attack anything, so as the result he could ignore all the elite mob packs and go straight to the last boss (were again he could be still immortal for some period of time even when dealing damage) were everyone else just had to die over and over again.
Also, they made gold relevant by two things:
- repair costs
- auction house (before real money was introduced because after that gold was worthless again)
This way after dying repeatedly you had no gold for repairs, let alone for buying anything from AH, unless again you played a DH.
At some point everyone were farming BARRELS as they used to drop more gold than anything else, it was a comedy seriously.

Diablo 3 launch was an absolute fucking disaster which I remember very well as have logged in 2 hour after they opened the servers.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Happening the same with me. I know all D3's flaws but man it's still so fun to play sometimes on PC or even PS4 (SUPER SURPRISED I AM ON HOW GOOD IT IS IN CONSOLE). Maybe cause now I'm older but I miss all the QOL stuff of newer games when I come back to old classics. D2R is not for me, not even buying after trying the beta.
D3 is actually good on the Switch. I have it on PC, XBOne, XSX and Switch.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
good to see so many new players get to enjoy this classic. used to play it to death with some friends. went and dug into my old PC game stuff and even thou I can't find my original discs, I did find the "battle chest edition" I bought again later on.

so a question regarding the game when it's released, is it going to require always online even if I just want to play single player? and I assume QOL mods like auto pick up stuff will also not be allow?

These Blizzard battle chests must had been the longest running physical boxes ever. When PC box copies disappeared from store shelves long time ago, I swear I still saw Walmart sell Diablo an Starcraft battle chests at store shelves even in like 2014. $29.99.

You never know. Maybe they still make them?!?!?! lol

Last edited:

Paulxo87

I participated in both beta weekends on ps5. Here are my impressions.

1. Nonsense they cannot get quality mode to 60fps. I am hoping this is fixed by launch. This was a promised feature. Albeit I think the actual quality(75" X900) looks great.. it looks comparable to PC on highest settings I think... I don't know if the actual res is 4k tho could be 1800P

2. Everything is is damn near spot on. This game is just a dream come true honestly. I think the auto potion fill thing is weird and I never quite figured it out but whatever.

I made a lvl 28 sorc, level 15 druid, level 12 barb, and like a 10 bowazon. So I did get to experience quite a bit of varied playtime. I also found a ton of runes and decent unique/magic low level shit. A ton actually - Shame we can take nothing with us lol

It's going to be a long month wait but honestly It will feel so exciting/fresh all over again. And Get to play as necro fuck yeah but my goal is to get him great gear with a mf sorc first lol

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Alright, spent some more time with the BETA and I'm now leaning towards a day 1 purchase despite my criticisms. I love games with a dark, moody atmosphere and Diablo games in general scratch a certain itch that other games can't. A couple of questions I'm hoping vets can answer:

1. I'm playing as a Sorc, bought a new staff for a few thousand gold. I find a rare bow drop that amongst other things poisons enemies and I can equip it since Sorc starts with high Dex. I'm now running around doing waaay more DMG with my bow than with my spells, this seems bizarre to me. So, spell DMG only increases by spending skill points on that specific spell or find rings/amulets with buffs? Putting points into energy doesn't increase it as it would in other games but putting points into STR/DEX *does* for those respective weapons? I just find it weird that my Sorc is now more effective as an archer than a spellcaster, what am I missing? Especially since I can still cast spells with the bow equipped.

2. Do spells/abilities gain new properties/change visually as you put skill points into them? Will my fireball look exactly the same and behave the same way at level 1 vs level 20 with the only difference being increased DMG?

I appreciate any insight 🙏

Lanrutcon

1. I'm playing as a Sorc, bought a new staff for a few thousand gold. I find a rare bow drop that amongst other things poisons enemies and I can equip it since Sorc starts with high Dex. I'm now running around doing waaay more DMG with my bow than with my spells, this seems bizarre to me. So, spell DMG only increases by spending skill points on that specific spell or find rings/amulets with buffs? Putting points into energy doesn't increase it as it would in other games but putting points into STR/DEX *does* for those respective weapons? I just find it weird that my Sorc is now more effective as an archer than a spellcaster, what am I missing? Especially since I can still cast spells with the bow equipped.

Yeah, put skill points into them to increase damage. With later gear you'll be getting something called "+skills". So you could equip a piece of headgear that gives you +2 to every skill you've put at least one point into. Many types of gear have +skills later on. Later gear can also increase damage from a type, like "+5% Fire Damage", but that's pretty rare and specific. Also you want to debuff your targets if possible using a merc/item with charges.

But the bow won't stop you casting, no.

Also: the general stat allocation for builds is as much Str and Dex as is necessary to wear your endgame gear, everything else into hitpoints.

Barakov

Not saying I'm insalling Diablo 2 again but
Ni89L79.gif

treemk

Banned
Alright, spent some more time with the BETA and I'm now leaning towards a day 1 purchase despite my criticisms. I love games with a dark, moody atmosphere and Diablo games in general scratch a certain itch that other games can't. A couple of questions I'm hoping vets can answer:

2. Do spells/abilities gain new properties/change visually as you put skill points into them? Will my fireball look exactly the same and behave the same way at level 1 vs level 20 with the only difference being increased DMG?

I appreciate any insight 🙏

Eventually you will want to replace the bow with something at has +skills on it to boost spell damage, no reason not to use it until you find something better.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Holy fucking shit duriel is such fucking bullshit as a barb..

all he does is freeze me paralyze me i can’t get any fucking damage in. I burn all my pots running like a fucking pussy.. panic pop open townportal.. replenish pots.. revive merch so i can get some fucking breathing space..

Do this for like 15 min..

Absolute bullshit 🤣🤣
Finally beat him.. fuck all loot.. omfg

Lanrutcon

all he does is freeze me paralyze me i can’t get any fucking damage in. I burn all my pots running like a fucking pussy.. panic pop open townportal.. replenish pots.. revive merch so i can get some fucking breathing space..

Absolute bullshit 🤣🤣

Oh, there's a trick to him. Most of his damage is cold. You drink like, 8 thawing potions (stacks the duration, gives you cold res) and equip some cold res gear before going in. Bring an act 2 merc and equip it with a socketed weapon that has cold damage on it (slows Duriel, he isn't immune to cold). Stay close to him and he can't charge you. The charge fucks you up.

sircaw

Banned

Absolute bullshit 🤣🤣
lol, I feel so sorry for new players experiencing him for the first time.

I wonder what the death count was in the beta, hope blizzard releases some stats..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its a dated feeling game, but still solid and much more challenging than D3.... at least comparing default to default difficulty levels.

In the beta, I finished Act 1 only and got killed more times than I did my first entire playthrough of D3.

Spukc

Oh, there's a trick to him. Most of his damage is cold. You drink like, 8 thawing potions (stacks the duration, gives you cold res) and equip some cold res gear before going in. Bring an act 2 merc and equip it with a socketed weapon that has cold damage on it (slows Duriel, he isn't immune to cold). Stay close to him and he can't charge you. The charge fucks you up.
ah cold res potions that might help.
so far cold is the most annoying thing esp when my fing build is based on speed that and mana burn :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Man Im really hoping some gameplay - tech breakdown videos release about the Switch version. Generally Id rather buy it on my PS4Pro but man, to be able to play this while you chilling in bed or travelling around, its great. Considering how old it is, I hope its not a downgrade graphically and they go for the vaseline look on the switch.

PerfectDark

Banned
My fav game of all time. Diablo 1 is the first PC game I ever played. I am thinking of switching it up and experiencing it on console. Never thought that would happen. I have a nice PC but will pick ps5 or series x.

B.net and diablo 2 bots. 9/10 people ran a bot to do runs. I would wake up for school set the bot up for pindle runs. Had to look that up I know it started with a p-i-n. Come home from school excited to see what drops I got.

Now we got bots buying every ps5, xbox, gpu for sale in the world. I can't imagine how much bots will rule PC players. 100% console for me.

DavidGzz

My fav game of all time. Diablo 1 is the first PC game I ever played. I am thinking of switching it up and experiencing it on console. Never thought that would happen. I have a nice PC but will pick ps5 or series x.

B.net and diablo 2 bots. 9/10 people ran a bot to do runs. I would wake up for school set the bot up for pindle runs. Had to look that up I know it started with a p-i-n. Come home from school excited to see what drops I got.

Now we got bots buying every ps5, xbox, gpu for sale in the world. I can't imagine how much bots will rule PC players. 100% console for me.

Idk if you played the beta on console, but it's actually better with a controller imo. As a looong time Diablo gamer, I never thought I'd say that. The PC version needs D3 controls. The D1 mod I am playing allows it but D2R will force us to switch skills before we can activate them. Bleh

Some updates, overall not super happy about the updates but still hyped af for the game:

Its a dated feeling game, but still solid and much more challenging than D3.... at least comparing default to default difficulty levels.

In the beta, I finished Act 1 only and got killed more times than I did my first entire playthrough of D3.
Yeah, that's one thing I didn't like with Diablo 3 - compared to Diablo 2 it's really, really easy. I actually love that it's dated - personally I didn't care for the updates they made for Diablo 3 😁

Playing the Beta felt like slipping into a pair of really, really comfortable pants you found in the closet and hadn't used for like 20 years 😎 - "Ahhhh.. Why don't they make pants like this anymore? Why did I stop using them?!"

Spukc

P0LaOU1.jpg

T2fqTvx.jpg

man act 3 boss and act 4 boss was so piss easy compared to act 2 🤨

also act 4 is extremely short. But glad i beat d2 pre expansion for the first time ever.
Act 5 seems big so can’t wait

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yeah, no action bar support on keyboard and mouse...controller it is then.
Same here. Really sucks controller is the "superior version."

You wont get any support for hardcore d2 fans:

Hardcore fans "we don't need a action bar, we want the original experience without being altered.

Also hardcore fans" uh shared stash that's nice"

Spukc

Same here. Really sucks controller is the "superior version."

You wont get any support for hardcore d2 fans:

Hardcore fans "we don't need a action bar, we want the original experience without being altered.

Also hardcore fans" uh shared stash that's nice"
Fuck the hardcore fans.
go play the old game

What is an action bar? Played the original game a shit load and I’m confused what you’re asking for. The ability to use a skill without having to switch to that skill? Basically not being limited to switch to skill then mouse clicks for skill use?

Last edited:

The_Mike

What is an action bar? Played the original game a shit load and I’m confused what you’re asking for. The ability to use a skill without having to switch to that skill? Basically not being limited to switch to skill then mouse clicks for skill use?
lxzp46f30mi61.jpg

Xyphie

What is an action bar? Played the original game a shit load and I’m confused what you’re asking for. The ability to use a skill without having to switch to that skill?

In the original D2, you assign one skill per mouse button and you can swap which skill is assigned with F1-F12, but you only really have two skills you can cast at a time. What people want is a action bar similar to what D3 features so you can assign skills to 1,2,3,4 or Q,W,E,R aswell as the mouse buttons. D2 Resurrected has this, but only when you play the game with a controller for some reason, if you play with a mouse you're stuck with the old way.

Last edited:
In the orignal D2, you assign one skill per mouse button and you can swap which skill is assigned with F1-F12, but you only really have two skills you can cast at a time. What people want is a action bar similar to what D3 features so you can assign skills to 1,2,3,4 or Q,W,E,R aswell as the mouse buttons. D2 Resurrected has this, but only when you play the game with a controller for some reason, if you play with a mouse you're stuck with the old way.
Got it. I’d put countless hours into this game even if it was 10x worse than the beta I played but some of the decision making leaves me scratching my head.

I’m hoping for some changes down the road but I guess time will tell how much ongoing support this game gets.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Got it. I’d put countless hours into this game even if it was 10x worse than the beta I played but some of the decision making leaves me scratching my head.

I’m hoping for some changes down the road but I guess time will tell how much ongoing support this game gets.
I doubt keyboard version will get skill bar because then it would already be there.

I know we can just F1 F2 etc but I tend to forget things I cannot see lol.

Spukc

pretty weird yeah why they don't give pc players this option. I mean it's just a visual aid. It's not like the damn base mechanic of the game changes XD.

all i do because of this with my barb now in classic.. is ignore all other fucking moves besides passives and just double swing + frenzy.
They also really should auto fill potions on a empty slot (and you saying what slot gets what type)

Last edited:

The_Mike

pretty weird yeah why they don't give pc players this option. I mean it's just a visual aid. It's not like the damn base mechanic of the game changes XD
PC players gets it as well if they put a controller into the pc.

But not keyboard mouse users.

Spukc

PC players gets it as well if they put a controller into the pc.

But not keyboard mouse users.
Aye but when i am behind my pc i honestly don't want to. And it shows this game was not made for a controller some things are a bit weird. Not like diablo 3.

Top Bottom