• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 Resurrected Officially Revealed

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i never played Diablo 2. have been holding off buying it in hopes of a remaster. this + immortal will keep me busy until diablo 4.

HF2014

They'd better make some QOL changes. Stash space is atrocious in vanilla D2

It looks good etc, but c'mon dudes, stop pre ordering shit. Game is not going to disappear

There will be a phone app where you can transfer you extra stuff, a bit similar to Pokemon Home.

😉

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Do we know about any else QOL? More visible spells? Respecs?

Please, no. We want full focus on gameplay and not achievements.

I saw they've done things with item labels that we used to use mods for (color coding and the like), the interface has new features (a new screen to check all your combined item mods, like MF), and there were some new buttons they didn't explain. They briefly went into an options menu at one point, and it's much larger than that of the original game...so maybe you can toggle spell effects (which I remember was something people wanted in the original, for visibility and FPS).

Lanrutcon

But I have to say, magic immunity is really annoying.
Unless I have someone with me, its impossible to pass through the desert unless I make a battlemage build.

Trying to think of a build that uses purely magic damage (it's been a while). Bonemancer? You'd probably need a special merc + CE to do your thing. Or just skip the mobs, really.

Edit: Apologies, double post.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Please, no. We want full focus on gameplay and not achievements.
Implementing achievements shouldn't be a huge operation for the devs. Plus you can play all current games with achievements / trophies exactly like you want to, even with trophy pop-ups completely disabled.

For me personally it's definitely going to be an extra motivation to go after as many trophies as I'll possible can.

After watching the entire Resurrection section... I'm just stunned. It really looks like they are doing this in the exact best way possible. They are saying all the right things and making all the right changes. Shared stash and auto-pickup on gold are brilliant QOL changes (honestly my favorite thing D3 did lol). And how awesome is it that they are updating all item art so the on-character design actually looks like the item's inventory icon. That's such a neat touch up that doesn't break anything but will add a new, interesting visual change. I love it.

The only thing I'm upset about is... why couldn't they have put this much effort into WarCraft III? Damn, it's such a shame.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Implementing achievements shouldn't be a huge operation for the devs. Plus you can play all current games with achievements / trophies exactly like you want to, even with trophy pop-ups completely disabled.

For me personally it's definitely going to be an extra motivation to go after as many trophies as I'll possible can.
And that's what I hate about modern gaming.

It's not "wow that's really great content i want to keep playing" but "I've tried this achivement for three hours god damn I really want to nail it."

Thankfully it shouldn't affect D2 if it's a proper remaster, but given its also coming to consoles gets me worried. D3 suffered from being made with a controller in mind.

The_Mike

"The original graphics and game code: You can switch to Diablo 2's classic graphics on the fly and swap the new dynamically lit 3D for the classic 2D sprites. That's because Resurrected is running on that original code.

"The logic of the game and all the sprites and pathing and data of the gear, your drop rates and your hit chance and percentages, and whether or not this monster chooses to bleed because you hit them, is still driven by the old game and it still runs at 25 frames per second," said Gallerani."

Source

Hold the fuck up. Does it mean the logic behind the gameplay is 25 fps or is the game locked behind 25 fps? Am I already seeing Blizzard fucking it up?

FStubbs

It's coming to Switch? That means it's a quick and dirty low effort piece of trash not worth anyone's time, I need a remake with all the graphics that the garbage Switch hardware can't handle. Seeing "Switch" there disappoints me, it may as well be a PS2 game.

... did I do that right? :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

The_Mike

It's coming to Switch? That means it's a quick and dirty low effort piece of trash not worth anyone's time, I need a remake with all the graphics that the garbage Switch hardware can't handle. Seeing "Switch" there disappoints me, it may as well be a PS2 game.

... did I do that right? :messenger_beaming:
If you are a console gamer, yes.
I'd you are a PC Gamer, no. Then you would simply have written "consoles" instead of switch.

xrnzaaas

And that's what I hate about modern gaming.

It's not "wow that's really great content i want to keep playing" but "I've tried this achivement for three hours god damn I really want to nail it."

Thankfully it shouldn't affect D2 if it's a proper remaster, but given its also coming to consoles gets me worried. D3 suffered from being made with a controller in mind.
Well it depends how you treat earning trophies in general. If you treat them as completely optional challenges and don't bother spending x hours on something boring, then they can improve the overall experience. If you're planning an entire playthrough around them and stop playing once you've unlocked the platinum, then you have a serious problem.

I admit I was in the second category for some time, but I'm changing my habits and not wasting hours on something I don't enjoy even if it means I won't get the platinum. ;)

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Wonder if they'll have counter measures for all the runewords and Annis being sold for real $$$ this time. :lollipop_grinning:

Last edited:

The_Mike

Well it depends how you treat earning trophies in general. If you tream them as completely optional challenges and don't bother spending x hours on something boring, then they can improve the overall experience. If you're planning an entire playthrough around them and stop playing once you've unlocked the platinum, then you have a serious problem.
I agree with you. I've just felt many games has been made so it's longivity is in the achievements and not gameplay.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hold the fuck up. Does it mean the logic behind the gameplay is 25 fps or is the game locked behind 25 fps? Am I already seeing Blizzard fucking it up?

The game runs at 60. Watch the deep dive video, they cover this in that as well as a whole bunch of other things, it honestly sounds like they're nailing it, it's basically the same game with a nice lick of paint and some of the people on the team are genuine Diablo diehards.

The_Mike

The game runs at 60. Watch the deep dive video, they cover this in that as well as a whole bunch of other things, it honestly sounds like they're nailing it, it's basically the same game with a nice lick of paint and some of the people on the team are genuine Diablo diehards.
Great to hear. Can't wait.

HF2014

"The original graphics and game code: You can switch to Diablo 2's classic graphics on the fly and swap the new dynamically lit 3D for the classic 2D sprites. That's because Resurrected is running on that original code.

"The logic of the game and all the sprites and pathing and data of the gear, your drop rates and your hit chance and percentages, and whether or not this monster chooses to bleed because you hit them, is still driven by the old game and it still runs at 25 frames per second," said Gallerani."

Source

Dont understand why you see this is a fuck up. In fact im happy it will play as it was the original. I dont want a game that play 60 fps and doesnt feel like what we are used to play. No, im very happy with this decision.

harmny

Banned

Source

The logic

The_Mike

Dont understand why you see this is a fuck up. In fact im happy it will play as it was the original. I dont want a game that play 60 fps and doesnt feel like what we are used to play. No, im very happy with this decision.
Keep your stuttering games to yourself please, I want fluent gameplay.

drotahorror

Luckily for normal, sensible people, only the logic is tied to 25fps. The game can render at higher fps.

Okay, so the one thing that actually is concerning, sorta I guess, is just how ugly and weird some of the chartacer faces and physical changes look compared to the original.

tg32h4pihki61.png

In particular the Amazon. Like, what the fuck. What is this phenomenon in western devs that women, particularly white women, must be ugly?

Someone even ran the Amazon face through multiple AI facial detections and they all came back as male:

Comn0ks_d.webp

Come the fuck on.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I noticed they added pants for some reason to armor sets...
I mean it's not '' game is ruined '' but I don't understand why mess with that it really draws attention for me ( nostalgia and all ).
I just like the color contrast too with the skin, the pants just makes it look all bland especially since the rest of the armor at lower levels is grey so there's no brighter color contrast with the legs.

Look at the Sorc at 17:00 for example
I am pretty sure that's earlier armor, she isn't supposed to get pants until field plate if you look here https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Armor_Appearance ...
Note too how the rest of the armor becomes brighter at that point and contrasts better with the pants being added.
But without that it looks so bland and again washed out.

I just dunno why the hell they mess with this.

Edit: So actually I was just stupid, I was listening and clicked on the video and happened to see that but didn't see how they switched between the two xD.
It fooled me because the armor in the new graphics doesn't look like later armor in the original game.

I did note this with the Assassin too tho at the start of the game, I dunno if they're actually doing it and are just tactically choosing to show specific gear to hide it or something.
But my criticism has changed from that at least to the armor doesn't actually look very accurate to the original.
The armor looks totally different and like much earlier armor than it did in the original in the example in the video.
Which again, less cartoony and more washed out graphics.

Edit again: Actually I wasn't stupid because later in the video they show how they reused the base model of the Assassin for the Succubus like they did in the original and yeah she has pants.... Which is just weird, just why?
They didn't do that with any of the other characters...

She was showcased in gameplay.

Oh cool, yeah at 2:04 it does. Sweet!

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Trying to think of a build that uses purely magic damage (it's been a while). Bonemancer? You'd probably need a special merc + CE to do your thing. Or just skip the mobs, really.

Edit: Apologies, double post.

Nah, was talking about Sorceress. She isn't the best for melee builds and have to rely on either a stronger mercenary or a friend to help in this case specifically. The least she could do alone is try fire enchanter build coupled with a great bow.
Also might notice that some enemies, bosses and unique monsters resorts in multiples immunities, rendering Sorceress useless on later levels.

The_Mike

Okay, so the one thing that actually is concerning, sorta I guess, is just how ugly and weird some of the chartacer faces and physical changes look compared to the original.

tg32h4pihki61.png

In particular the Amazon. Like, what the fuck. What is this phenomenon in western devs that women, particularly white women, must be ugly?

Someone even ran the Amazon face through multiple AI facial detections and they all came back as male:

Comn0ks_d.webp

Come the fuck on.

Cheeky Blizzard sneaked an extra dick into the character creation screen.

Actually amazon females are portrayed as pretty masculine. From pedia
1280px-Amazzone_ferita_-_Musei_Capitolini.jpg

Also from pedia :

They were a people of female warriors and hunters, who matched man in physical agility and strength, in archery, riding skills and the arts of combat.

That's what you get if you eat too much steroids kids.

Why-is-Abby-so-buff-Last-Of-Us-Part-2-comparison-on-Twitter-has-fans-joking-about-steroids-1024x614.jpg

(a rare photo of an amazon)

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Nah, was talking about Sorceress. She isn't the best for melee builds and have to rely on either a stronger mercenary or a friend to help in this case specifically. The least she could do alone is try fire enchanter build coupled with a great bow.
Also might notice that some enemies, bosses and unique monsters resorts in multiples immunities, rendering Sorceress useless on later levels.

Magic immunity doesn't affect the Sorc, she only deals elemental damage. Carry a Lower Resist wand on swap and you're golden for the most part. You won't find dual immunities on Nightmare, only on Hell, and every farming build is dual element which greatly reduces your odds of finding shit you won't be able to kill. I don't have an issue with this, because that's literally meant to be hardest content in the game.

Denton

Amazon looking like a middle-aged dude also threw me off. Assassin being asian is great though, and sorceress looks good. In general the characters look 20 years older, which I guess is an actual intent, but I would definitely prefer their younger selves.

Apart from that, everything about this remake sounds fantastic and I can't wait. I call it a remake because they remade all of its art assets. It is more than just a remaster.

13th

Neo Member
I wonder if people who already own the original game will get a remastered version for free, sure, on it's own it's a great game, but paying just for the ability to play the same game in HD has to be too much to ask, or am I being naive here?

Last edited:

The_Mike

I wonder if people who already own the original game will get a remastered version for free, sure, on it's own it's a great game, but paying just for the ability to play the same game in HD has to be too much to ask, or am I being naive here?
You are a generation late with that question.

eot

Banned
I noticed they added pants for some reason to armor sets...
I mean it's not '' game is ruined '' but I don't understand why mess with that it really draws attention for me ( nostalgia and all ).
I just like the color contrast too with the skin, the pants just makes it look all bland especially since the rest of the armor at lower levels is grey so there's no brighter color contrast with the legs.

Look at the Sorc at 17:00 for example
I am pretty sure that's earlier armor, she isn't supposed to get pants until field plate if you look here https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Armor_Appearance ...
Note too how the rest of the armor becomes brighter at that point and contrasts better with the pants being added.
But without that it looks so bland and again washed out.

I just dunno why the hell they mess with this.

Edit: So actually I was just stupid, I was listening and clicked on the video and happened to see that but didn't see how they switched between the two xD.
It fooled me because the armor in the new graphics doesn't look like later armor in the original game.

I did note this with the Assassin too tho at the start of the game, I dunno if they're actually doing it and are just tactically choosing to show specific gear to hide it or something.
But my criticism has changed from that at least to the armor doesn't actually look very accurate to the original.
The armor looks totally different and like much earlier armor than it did in the original in the example in the video.
Which again, less cartoony and more washed out graphics.

Edit again: Actually I wasn't stupid because later in the video they show how they reused the base model of the Assassin for the Succubus like they did in the original and yeah she has pants.... Which is just weird, just why?
They didn't do that with any of the other characters...

She was showcased in gameplay.

I could nickpick some things, some of the animations looked off to me, but tbh it seems better than we have any right to expect from modern Blizzard. Think of all the ways they could have fucked this up. They even have the old graphics toggle.

Some things I'm concerned about are load times (D2 basically loads instantly and was very fast even back in the day), and game balancing. Which patch are they going to base this on? My favourite one was 1.09 tbh, some of the high end runewords in 1.10 like Enigma change the game so much and I'm still not sure whether synergies were good or not.

Would be awesome if they had a patch select for single player.

I could nickpick some things, some of the animations looked off to me, but tbh it seems better than we have any right to expect from modern Blizzard. Think of all the ways they could have fucked this up. They even have the old graphics toggle.

Some things I'm concerned about are load times (D2 basically loads instantly and was very fast even back in the day), and game balancing. Which patch are they going to base this on? My favourite one was 1.09 tbh, some of the high end runewords in 1.10 like Enigma change the game so much and I'm still not sure whether synergies were good or not.

Would be awesome if they had a patch select for single player.
1.09 sucks for online.
You can get to lvl 99 in 14 hours.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
well fuck, i got to play 45 minutes of d2 and got banned because i went in and out of games too quickly. JESUS.

Top Bottom