• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 Resurrected Officially Revealed

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm very excited for this.

Like many of you here, I am a diablo fanatic.

Bit sad they're going for 1.1.4 since they already fixed the morrowwalk glitch by then, but oh well zoomancers didn't need that extra 1k bone spear damage anyways.

You can't use skills with an aura active on PC either so? Unless it's from an item / party member.
No plans for future patches is a bit sad, would love to see them add a few items and maybe a new world event. A few balance tweaks here and there would be nice too tbh. Similar DClone, does that mean selling SoJs? That's basically an anti-dupe feature so it doesn't even make sense if they fix duping. Like, who the fuck would sell a SoJ?

Well I could see framerate drops in the footage lol, when they kill the lightning scarabs. I really hope there's no lag when entering new areas in this one, it's such a stupid way to lose your character.
You can!? Just not a second skill at the same time when an aura is active!?
Just like you swap your skills on rightclick today with shortcuts.

Lux R7

Minimum Requirements

• Processor: Intel Core i3-3250/AMD FX-4350
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 660/AMD Radeon HD 7850
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • HDD Space Requiried: 30 GB
  • Resolution: 1280 x 720
  • Operating System: Windows® 10

Recommended Specifications

• Processor: Intel® Core i5-9600k/AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060/AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Storage: 30 GB
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Operating System: Windows® 10

What the fuck, 16GB and a 1060 recommended to play the game in 1080p?

Source: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/diablo-2-resurrected-pc-requirements-mod-support/

mh, i think i should be able to play it on my laptop (gtx 1050) tweaking some graphical options when i can't play on my main pc.
We'll see

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I never played Diablo 2 and I loved 3, so judging by the jizz bestowed on 2 by the Diablo community, I should love it, right?

It's a very, very different game.

Also, if they don't tweak the numbers, is also a harder game specially at the beginning when you don't have nothing to twink with. In the first act of the first difficulty level you can already find lightning enchanted enemies that will easily spell doom for your melee characters. Launch D3 packs with the now retired invulnerable minions affix have nothing on the hellspawn you'll find on D2.

eot

Banned
You can!? Just not a second skill at the same time when an aura is active!?
Just like you swap your skills on rightclick today with shortcuts.
Maybe I misunderstood your post, but in D2 you can only have auras on right-click, so you can't use other right-click only skills while the aura is active.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but in D2 you can only have auras on right-click, so you can't use other right-click only skills while the aura is active.
Sure, but you can ctr+leftclick
So what did they change with the remake and what is the implication with controller support?

eot

Banned
It's a very, very different game.

Also, if they don't tweak the numbers, is also a harder game specially at the beginning when you don't have nothing to twink with. In the first act of the first difficulty level you can already find lightning enchanted enemies that will easily spell doom for your melee characters. Launch D3 packs with the now retired invulnerable minions affix have nothing on the hellspawn you'll find on D2.

D2 can be pretty hard for an untwinked solo character, yeah. Duriel is a pain to solo, the Ancients in A5 can really fuck you up and there are some places you basically don't want to go with a HC character, like the area with Nihlathak. On the other hand, if you have a party of 4+ new people then most of the game is kind of a breeze, because of how it scales. Monster HP increases slower than the damage output of your party.

As for D3, I think those affixes they had in D3 were worse than anything in D2. It's hard to say what's more difficult, but they simply were no fun to fight against. D3 difficulty at launch was a fucking shit show anyway, it was a broken game.

Last edited:
As for D3, I think those affixes they had in D3 were worse than anything in D2. It's hard to say what's more difficult, but they simply were no fun to fight against. D3 difficulty at launch was a fucking shit show anyway, it was a broken game.
I gave up on D3 when a patch made it impossibe for me to earn enough gold to repair my amour and weapons. Basically the weaker you are, the more damage you sustain and more hits you need to kill enemies, and thus the higher your repair bill. D3 was the fall of Blizzard, I haven't bought a new game from them since. DII remaster will be the exception if it does what it promised.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
D2 can be pretty hard for an untwinked solo character, yeah. Duriel is a pain to solo, the Ancients in A5 can really fuck you up and there are some places you basically don't want to go with a HC character, like the area with Nihlathak. On the other hand, if you have a party of 4+ new people then most of the game is kind of a breeze, because of how it scales. Monster HP increases slower than the damage output of your party.

Those affixes were manageable if you had a character with skills that punched through like wizards and demon hunters. The problem is if you picked a class without effective punch through skills.

Those affixes were manageable if you had a character with skills that punched through like wizards and demon hunters. The problem is if you picked a class without effective punch through skills.
Going ranged or Necro is the way to go with your first character.

Frankly i am not sure why there was mechanics that punish going melee to begin with; decades after D2 came out, i tried a few spiritual successors. And in every case the melee gameplay always suffers for being too weak, kill too slowly, and harder to play. In Path of Exile, for example, going melee range is so unpopular that i had proposed GGG could have made melee characters literally unkillable, and people still wouldn't play them. The most popular melee skill in PoE is a "ranged" melee attack.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Going ranged or Necro is the way to go with your first character.

Frankly i am not sure why there was mechanics that punish going melee to begin with; decades after D2 came out, i tried a few spiritual successors. And in every case the melee gameplay always suffers for being too weak, kill too slowly, and harder to play. In Path of Exile, for example, going melee range is so unpopular that i had proposed GGG could have made melee characters literally unkillable, and people still wouldn't play them. The most popular melee skill in PoE is a "ranged" melee attack.

They had a fix for that in the Alpha, they had a passive called the avatar of fire that made you one shot everything. Unfortunately they deemed it too powerful and removed it from the game... oh ggg...

I'd say sorc and do Mephisto runs is not a bad way to begin... I seem to recall mephisto was capped at itemlevel 72 so some of the high end stuff would not drop but it was a decent farm. And you can always transition to a portal opener for baal runs.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
I just found a lot of monster affixes unfun, the invincible minions wasn't the only one. The Waller ones were tedious as fuck too.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Oh I remember that there's no skill bar. I assume we only will have two active skills at the bottom again with the possibility to give shortcuts

Haggard

Banned
I´m kinda jealous of the younger people who will experience this gem of a game now for the first time in all its glory.
I personally spent too much time in the original already to want to go back.

eot

Banned
Sure, but you can ctr+leftclick
So what did they change with the remake and what is the implication with controller support?
The console version will have skills bound to buttons instead of two active skills at one time, but if you have an aura active and use a skill that's right-click only on PC then your aura will deactivate / you won't be able to use the skill (one of those). Point is that you can't do more things will the console interface that you couldn't do with kb/m

drotahorror

The console version will have skills bound to buttons instead of two active skills at one time, but if you have an aura active and use a skill that's right-click only on PC then your aura will deactivate / you won't be able to use the skill (one of those). Point is that you can't do more things will the console interface that you couldn't do with kb/m

You mean can do?

eot

Banned
You mean can do?
Umm, no. Because skills are bound to buttons you would be able to use RMB skills with an aura active, when on PC you can't because it would require actively switching away from the aura. That's why they will explicitly limit you from casting RMB skills when you have an aura active (or disable the aura when you do, it wasn't clear to me which one).

Paulxo87

I´m kinda jealous of the younger people who will experience this gem of a game now for the first time in all its glory.
I personally spent too much time in the original already to want to go back.

They won't be able to fully appreciate it. The game was largely a product of it's time. You had to be there 20 years ago. With that said - I can't wait.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Physical versions for Consoles?
Sorry if already mentioned
We don't know yet, but I don't think Blizzard will be skipping on them. It's always a good opportunity to sell extra copies to fans who want their copy on a shelf. Personally I'm definitely going to be picking up the retail version if it's going to be available.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I played D2 solo using Amazon and as long as you're careful, it's not that hard (especially using the valkyrie as a tank up front), but no doubt it was way harder than D3. I got killed way more, including as you said Duriel which took a bunch of tries. Then you respawned and had to run to your body to re-pick up your gear.

When I played D3 on PC, I breezed through it and only got killed a few times by mindlessly Ramboing through mobs and got caught a few times getting brick walled by elites and mobbed by 20 enemies. Never got killed by any boss in D3 ever (and that stretches to playing a lot on consoles later). It can be argued I'm playing on too easy torment level for my character. Probably true. But when playing it with low level characters at the start, D3 is way easier than D2.

I must had played D3 on PC after it got patched because I never saw the giant difficulty some people say with those starting difficulty levels.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I finally have time to look up some of the promotional materials, and why does the Amazon look like a tired insurance salesman who is having a bad cosplay day?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
As someone who plays this a ton still, I'm more stoked about this than any other game this year. Please don't eff this up Blizzard.

Wonder how the Median mod be implemented or of it even can.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Diablo III has been essentially the perfect Switch game. Made many a long flight much more bearable. Def getting this one on Switch (and probably PC).

You know, as a huge diablo 2 fan I'm excited for this, but more than anything I want remasters like this to come out and be successful so that one day I might finally get my Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge remaster.

Almost there with the release of C&C remastered, though I don't know how well it sold.

Kimahri

Banned
Yes! I thought I was the only one!

Turns out there are dozens of us.
high five saudi prince GIF

eot

Banned
I must had played D3 on PC after it got patched because I never saw the giant difficulty some people say with those starting difficulty levels.
At launch they had the same difficulty setup as D2, with Normal, Nightmare and Hell. Plus a bonus difficulty called Inferno. After beating the game without too much trouble I started Inferno, and I died in one hit to one of the first enemies in A1. Inferno at launch was completely fucked, I mean some people did beat it but it was an insane grindfest.

I remember lugging giant beige dell computers around and playing LAN all night since it felt like a rare occasion. So fun. I remember getting pissed when my brother played his character without us and he was like 2-3 levels ahead.

I'm so pumped. I have had in the back of my head for years that whenever this is remade me and the same buds are going so balls deep.

Holy shit when is this launching? I've heard great things about diablo games and how it kick started a sub genre of games. This could be my first ever diablo game, PS5!

At launch they had the same difficulty setup as D2, with Normal, Nightmare and Hell. Plus a bonus difficulty called Inferno. After beating the game without too much trouble I started Inferno, and I died in one hit to one of the first enemies in A1. Inferno at launch was completely fucked, I mean some people did beat it but it was an insane grindfest.
My memory of D3 was that you could only survive Infernal if you were equipped with high quality drops that are only available in Inferno. And if you were undergeared you would die so often that you would end up losing gold the more you play.

The only way out was to spend real money at the auction house buying Inferno quality gear outright. How did the Inferno gear get farmed to begin with? There were exploits early in the game launch that allow people to play in Inferno with certain builds, and after they were patched out those who were already in Inferno has permanent advantage in having good gear and making actual $ money selling drops.

All this surely changed at some point, I am only describing a few months of play time before I gave up. D3 launch was a giant mess with crazy changes, most of them not good. Some people say that D3 is good now, but I don't intend to find out.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: eot

eot

Banned
All this surely changed at some point, I am only describing a few months of play time before I gave up. D3 launch was a giant mess with crazy changes, most of them not good. Some people say that D3 is good now, but I don't intend to find out.
Depends what you want out of the game. The itemization is still shit, you have sets that give stuff like 2000% more damage, making any non-set items completely useless.

You know, I probably would still be playing Grim Dawn right now, had it not being for that game's one fatal flaw.

I don't understand the GD developer's obsession with lethal floor effects that ignore resistance and do percentage damage regardless of max HP. That somehow they think having a major danger that couldn't be mitigated is somehow good design.

i bring it up because i have really tried to find a replacement for Diablo II over the years. And each time something holds me back. Grim Dawn was almost it, it certainly was more single-player focused than Path of Exile. PoE had its loot drops balanced around trading, so you would get stuck playing alone.

And before that there was Torchlight 1 and 2. But the item drops were not interesting enough. i couldn't appreciate until after the fact how varied the drops in DII helped the pleasure of playing.

But the fact is only DII would do. There was no substitutes. And after Blizzard North dissolved there will not be another game like it.

Last edited:

TheContact

got bored yesterday and decided to do a little nostalgia trip. It’s crazy playing this on a laptop that weighs less than 3 lbs when the crt monitor alone I used to display this on was like 30+ Lbs
qGvIJ6R.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom