• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2: Resurrected |OT| Angels and Demons? Sanctuary much.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
i got all the runes 8 of em for dual spirit swords for shout barb :)
problem is i don't have any 4 slotted single hand swords XD

i keep grinding act two in nightmare but no luck so far highest i have seen is 2 slots.

Starting to understand more and more why D2 might be better then D3 is some ways
The progression alone is way its way better than Diablo 3

Von

Kind of torn if I should splurge on the Prime Evil edition for Series X since my PS4 copy of D3 will either be buried amongst the mass of shit in the basement or eventually sold off whenever I get the chance.

Developers said it runs like butter. However we still dont have any footage. I played the beta on my PS4 but im planing to get it for the switch unless the game looks bad on abig TV but i just cant imagine why this would hog resources even on the switch so hopefully its good. This article came out yesterday:

My concern is the ps5 version was like…10804k 60fps? So my feeling is the switch version won’t be great. We’ll see.
quality mode ps5 was 30 fps.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This won't be a thing in D2R :D

so i heard ! hopefully we will have access to all items in SP mode too.

the kid mero boi GIF by Desus & Mero

o9QccDa.jpg

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Local co op on console?

Listen here, zoomer. No, there isn't. Because in our day we had to wrestle an alligator and pound nails through our dicks before we could even open the main menu. Local co-op? what are you: some kind of hippy? do you hug trees? Get a real job and stop living with your parents. They don't love you and neither does the government.

Nah, there isn't. D2 never had that, sadly. We used to LAN as an alternative. It was a different time back then, man.

drotahorror

Ok, so ladder only items will be in the game for single player. Does that mean only single player is available on release since ladder isn't being implemented on day 1?

Last edited:
Ok, so ladder only items will be in the game for single player. Does that mean only single player is available on release since ladder isn't being implemented on day 1?
No, non ladder will be available day 1.

There really isn't any reason to play ladder day 1 even if it was available now that everything is available non ladder (unless you planned to race to the ladder leaderboards, but gl with that as it will be insanely hard to get on the leaderboards). The appeal of ladder will be the economy reset, but the economy will be brand new on day 1.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So, does anyone know what the specs of the Switch will be? 60fps? I want it portable but if the Switch version is crap I will get it on XSX.

drotahorror

So, does anyone know what the specs of the Switch will be? 60fps? I want it portable but if the Switch version is crap I will get it on XSX.

They did magic with Diablo 3, really hope they can do it on 2 as well. If not, I hope I can get it going decent on steamdeck.

bigedole

I'm curious how trading and stuff will work out on console. Does anyone know if the console servers are shared with other consoles or even PC? Used to be you'd create a game with the trade you're looking for and it'd be rather painless.

Also what are other people doing for their first char? I imagine quite a few are going with sorc, I'm jumping in with a hammerdin. I never played one back in the day and want something easy to faceroll with that doesn't have to worry too much about immunities.

I'm curious how trading and stuff will work out on console. Does anyone know if the console servers are shared with other consoles or even PC? Used to be you'd create a game with the trade you're looking for and it'd be rather painless.

Also what are other people doing for their first char? I imagine quite a few are going with sorc, I'm jumping in with a hammerdin. I never played one back in the day and want something easy to faceroll with that doesn't have to worry too much about immunities.
I’d imagine LFG feature will be used a lot for Xbox trading. Not sure if PS had an equivalent.

I’m going blizz sorc. Hammerdin will be able to handle more, I just want teleport.

hammerdin is probably the safest/strongest choice for starting. Sorc just might be faster as she has teleport but immunities will be an issue.

sircaw

Banned
boiiii i got that 4 slot crystal sword
fuck this game is crack

1 more to go xD seems like THE PIT act 1 is an ok spot to find em

eDqbfC5.jpg
just a note on that runeword in case you did not know, the faster cast rate is what it is all about.

If you can roll one with a perfect 35% faster cast rate at the start of the ladder it is worth a decent mid rune+

This is a long long time ago, i have been out of the loop on such things but i remember trading one for a shako and a storm shield, that is however like 15 years ago lol

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
just a note on that runeword in case you did not know, the faster cast rate is what it is all about.

If you can roll one with a perfect 35% faster cast rate at the start of the ladder it is worth a decent mid rune+

This is a long long time ago, i have been out of the loop on such things but i remember trading one for a shako and a storm shield, that is however like 15 years ago lol
sweet still grinding for another 4 slot crystal sword oof

sweet still grinding for another 4 slot crystal sword oof
You can farm the cow level on normal for a crystal sword. Use the socket quest and I believe it should guarantee 4 slots.

You can also just grab a non magic/white crystal sword from the cow level and use the weapon socket recipe on a crystal sword you find from the cow level. It will have a 50% chance of getting 4 sockets.

Keep in mind if you use some random crystal sword you find in nightmare it might get more sockets I believe. With normal difficulty cow level the item level is guaranteed to have no more than 4 sockets.

The socket recipe is 1 Ral Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Normal Weapon (for you it would be a normal crystal sword)

Cow level also drops a ton of socketed and white items so it is a good place to search for crystal swords period.

Last edited:
Will accounts be tied to the console theyre bought on or will i be able to use same account/characters across any system as long as i buy multiple copies?

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
To those (like me) coming to D2 for the first time, why are you compelled to look up optimal builds, rune words etc for your very first experience of this game? Wouldn't you want to experience it all organically and figure stuff out as you go along? Sure it's a 20 year old game but it's completely new to *us*. Also, for a game whose fans seem to tout "build diversity" as one of it's greatest strengths it seems like 90% of players go with a "hammerdin" or "cold sorc", not very diverse at all?

I'll be running a Druid to start, transforming into a werewolf during the BETA felt great and somehow reminded me of Blood Omen, going to focus on building around grizzly transformation because running around as a giant bear tearing everything to pieces is appealing to me, couldn't care less if it's considered a strong build or not, really hyped to dig in. Will probably follow with a Sorc, always tend to run magic builds in RPG's anyway.

To those (like me) coming to D2 for the first time, why are you compelled to look up optimal builds, rune words etc for your very first experience of this game? Wouldn't you want to experience it all organically and figure stuff out as you go along? Sure it's a 20 year old game but it's completely new to *us*. Also, for a game whose fans seem to tout "build diversity" as one of it's greatest strengths it seems like 90% of players go with a "hammerdin" or "cold sorc", not very diverse at all?

I'll be running a Druid to start, transforming into a werewolf during the BETA felt great and somehow reminded me of Blood Omen, going to focus on building around grizzly transformation because running around as a giant bear tearing everything to pieces is appealing to me, couldn't care less if it's considered a strong build or not, really hyped to dig in. Will probably follow with a Sorc, always tend to run magic builds in RPG's anyway.
I agree with your approach on how the game should be played if you’re new to it.

there is a lot of build diversity, but many of the builds are gear dependent. As such, it makes sense for people who’ve been playing the game for ~20 years to make a non gear dependent magic find character to farm gear for the other classes they already know they want to make. Both hammerdin and cold sorc are efficient ways to magic find that aren’t gear dependent.

having said all that, I played Necro and Assassin for about 98% of the thousands of hours I put into this game.

this will be my first time really playing sorceress (outside of the recent beta)

my goal is to farm for gear to make my Assassin, but will likely just roll a character based on what gear I find.

edit: I should add that playing a hammerdin was by far the worst experience I’ve had in d2. I consider it the least fun build available, but that’s just me. I can understand how some might put up with it though so they can efficiently farm gear for the builds they really want to make.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member

Hammerdin and Cold sorc are simply the easiest ones to spec into a magic find build without too much expensive or rare equipment.

The thing is, yes the D2 has diverse builds but the diversity comes with a cost which is much more expensive equipment to fully realize and be on par with the other builds.

Hammerdin and Cold Sorc in general are picked because of immunities/resistance and utility. This doesn’t factor in much in normal and much of nightmare but will be more prominent at hell.

Hammers are magic based damage which is different from fire/ice/lightning and there are simply less monsters that are magic immune.

Cold sorc on the other hand has cold mastery. Cold mastery reduces cold resistance of enemies. Fire and lightning have their own version of masteries but instead of resistance reduction, it’s simply a damage increase. While cold sorc still have to deal with some monsters that are completely immune and she deals less damage than a hammerdin, she has teleport.

These are skills that you can access without a single equipment. Which for a first character is pretty great.

april6e

People enjoy games in different ways? I don't get people who replay games dozens of times or speedrun games. I only play games once as once I know the plot (the end credits), I lose all interest in playing further. I thus must "min-max" my first playthrough and ensure that I look up every missable beforehand as it will be my only playthrough. Unless you look stuff up before hand, there are certain games where you would just straight up miss half the game if you played it blind.

Dark Souls is the perfect example. I only played the original game one time and never knew the painted world existed, which is one of the best areas in the game. This is exactly why I pre-plan my playthroughs, especially of RPGs which hide important stuff from you which can completely ruin blind playthroughs. My experience with Final Fintasy 7 was miserable because I solely used Aerith (never touched Tifa/Yuffie/other healers) and gave her all my best items and materia before the infamous events of the second disc. Fallout 3 is another example of a game that I despised my first playthrough because I did what you do and just built the character I wanted to build. My character sucked and I literally couldn't progress because I couldn't beat things to get ammo and exhausted all my money and ammo in the entire first region of the game. When I gave the game another chance years later, I used a character guide, my playthrough went smoothly and I became a huge fan of the series.

In the context of Diablo 2, to my knowledge (I've never played the game), the classes are not balanced. There are only like 2 classes that are good at magic finding without requiring very difficult to find end game items for the builds to even function properly. You farm good items with your magic find character and put them in your shared stash for future characters you want to screw around with.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

In the context of Diablo 2, to my knowledge (I've never played the game), the classes are not balanced. There are only like 2 classes that are good at magic finding without requiring very difficult to find end game items for the builds to even function properly.

Man, I was about to take your post and savage it thoroughly...but then I saw that you haven't even played the game.

Go play the game before you try talking mechanics. I fucking 100% guarantee you that if you try and go through the game for the first time with a character you don't enjoy that you won't make Baal. Find a build that's fun. Run with it. Learn the game from there. Your second character can be super-efficient-farming-blizzard-sorc #192,473,106. Relax and enjoy the journey. Everybody ends up with a stable of characters anyway.

Only missable I can think of is bugging Andi. The remaster changed the Cow King.

april6e

Man, I was about to take your post and savage it thoroughly...but then I saw that you haven't even played the game.

Go play the game before you try talking mechanics. I fucking 100% guarantee you that if you try and go through the game for the first time with a character you don't enjoy that you won't make Baal. Find a build that's fun. Run with it. Learn the game from there. Your second character can be super-efficient-farming-blizzard-sorc #192,473,106. Relax and enjoy the journey. Everybody ends up with a stable of characters anyway.

Only missable I can think of is bugging Andi. The remaster changed the Cow King.

I don't find it fun to play a game for 30 hours only to find my build doesn't work. I would at that point quit rather than redo the game over again. Correct me if I'm wrong but you only can respec once per campaign (and can't farm respecs until the hardest difficulty, which you wouldn't even make it to if your build sucks), making it even more imperative in this game that you don't screw up your build.

Obviously I get your argument but I've played way too many RPGs where I "built whatever I wanted to" and it turned into an utter disaster because the game isn't balanced to allow you to make anything work. Very few RPGs are well designed enough to allow you to screw around and get away with it.

You already played the game so you know what works. So enjoy that but I'm going to do it in reverse and build a strong farming character before I screw around with doomed to fail builds that I don't have the runewords for.

Lanrutcon

I don't find it fun to play a game for 30 hours only to find my build doesn't work. I would at that point quit rather than redo the game over again. Correct me if I'm wrong but you only can respec once per campaign (and can't farm respecs until the hardest difficulty, which you wouldn't even make it to if your build sucks), making it even more imperative in this game that you don't screw up your build.

Obviously I get your argument but I've played way too many RPGs where I "built whatever I wanted to" and it turned into an utter disaster because the game isn't balanced to allow you to make anything work. Very few RPGs are well designed enough to allow you to screw around and get away with it.

You already played the game so you know what works. So enjoy that but I'm going to do it in reverse and build a strong farming character before I screw around with doomed to fail builds that I don't have the runewords for.

You can respect once per difficulty, and then farm more on the final one. The thing is you won't know if your build works until you've cleared at least the first difficulty, at which point you'll have two respects available to you to try something else: you don't have to restart. Every character has multiple viable builds, but most "come online" post level 30.

You're overthinking this a bit. Lemme give you one piece of advice: there are 3 difficulty levels you'll be playing through. The first, Normal, can be cleared by a cat rolling around on the keyboard. Your build doesn't matter. You can do whatever. The second, Nightmare, is where you have the skill points and access to cool gear. This is where you'll really have a build or not, and can evaluate it. Still not super hard. All but the wackiest builds will be fine.

The final difficulty, Hell, is where that all goes out the window. You either get massively overgeared or you run an optimised build. This is where certain builds fail: attempting to run Hell with a melee Necro in crap gear is going to give you a heart attack. When you get to hell though, you'll know the game a lot better than you do now. Even if whatever character you got to Hell with is not your thing: you can use that character to get your next character a good head start in terms of runes, gems, etc. Even if you just stashed a Stealth and Lore.

Try our the different character, pick one you like, clear normal with it, see if you want to continue on. Otherwise roll a Blizz Sorc as your first character for an easy time and really good MF potential. I would recommend approach 1. Who knows! Maybe you turn out to be one of those weird motherfuckers who play Druids.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
People enjoy games in different ways? I don't get people who replay games dozens of times or speedrun games. I only play games once as once I know the plot (the end credits), I lose all interest in playing further. I thus must "min-max" my first playthrough and ensure that I look up every missable beforehand as it will be my only playthrough. Unless you look stuff up before hand, there are certain games where you would just straight up miss half the game if you played it blind.

Dark Souls is the perfect example. I only played the original game one time and never knew the painted world existed, which is one of the best areas in the game. This is exactly why I pre-plan my playthroughs, especially of RPGs which hide important stuff from you which can completely ruin blind playthroughs. My experience with Final Fintasy 7 was miserable because I gave Aerith all my best items and materia before the infamous events of the second disc. Fallout 3 is another example of a game that I despised my first playthrough because I did what you do and just built the character I wanted to build. My character sucked and I literally couldn't progress because I couldn't beat things to get ammo and exhausted all my money and ammo in the entire first region of the game. When I gave the game another chance years later, I used a character guide, my playthrough went smoothly and I became a huge fan of the series.

In the context of Diablo 2, to my knowledge (I've never played the game), the classes are not balanced. There are only like 2 classes that are good at magic finding (required for end game farming not to be painfully horrible) and you are almost forced to first use these classes to grind for good items. Then you put good items you find with these mules into your shared stash and then you can use them with your future characters you want to screw around with.
Yea, I'll never get why people would spoil the experience by looking everything up but whatever works for you I guess. I found the Painted World organically but even had I not Dark Souls still would have been one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time. Did not finding it "ruin" everything that you experienced during your playthrough? That sounds bizarre to me if so. FF7, I guess in the very short term you might have hindered yourself but that's still early on, you could grind out levels of you're having that much trouble and the best materia is yet to be found. Was there no respec option in Fallout 3? Haven't played it since it's original release but how do you screw yourself to that degree? Put every single point into Perception? lol

Back to D2, this is the type of game you *absolutely* replay (though I'd generally agree with you in replaying games and speedrunning) and ultimately nothing can really be "missed". At the end of the day everyone should play however they want, guess I'm more old-school in my approach to such things, thanks for sharing your perspective anyway 👍.

Top Bottom