• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2: Resurrected |OT| Angels and Demons? Sanctuary much.

treemk

Banned
You never know with Blizzard. Their priority right now is fixing all the issues and implementing the ladder. But they fully plan on supporting this title unlike Warcraft 3: Reforged.

What? Cross progression worked fine on the beta, its not on the live game now?

normal and nightmare are easy for sorceress with minimal gear. Wait til Hell.

As for your barbarian point, I'm having an absolutely terrible time with my Barb in Hell. I cannot recommend barb at all.

I was having some major issues with my barbarian as well, hit a brick wall with Baal on Normal. Finished it with a friend, then decided to check some guides and tweak my barb for Nightmare. Yeah, so it's like every fucking rare mob had mana drain, which grinded my progress to a halt. Pots can get you so far until my patience runs thin.

I think you need some really good gear for a barbarian build to actually function. Whether i'm right or wrong, fuck it i don't care. Started over with my favorite class - Paladin.

njean777

played off and on all day today, and the one thing I can say is that the servers need to be fixed. I shouldn't DC twice after reaching Duriel and then have to go and run through the whole dungeon again and again to find him. I got dc'ed multiple times today (at least 5), and I was actually playing not just standing around... Hopefully they fix this, otherwise I am having a lot of fun and damn is this game hard compared to 3 lol.

Relique

Think I am about done with the game and just wanted to post some final thoughts here.

I never played the original Diablo 2, was mostly a console gamer back then. This was a nice opportunity to see what I missed out on after enjoying D3 on and off for years.

What I liked:
- The vibe of this game is miles ahead of D3. From the excellent music, to color palette, to lighting system, to the dark brooding atmosphere.
- I disliked having tons of affixes on screen in D3, forcing you to spend a considerable amount repositioning and waiting for them to expire. D2 has a much simpler and satisfying system of moving slightly out of range of things, kiting, and dodging slow projectiles. You are constantly moving and fighting.
- I like the rune system as it adds a whole layer to gearing. I also like that sets are strong but aren't the end all be all of gearing.
- Love the loot system and how many things can be valuable. From white and grey bases, to charms, to jewels, to runes. You can find a real gem when you least expect it.
- Seems like every class has a few viable builds so the balance is alright if you don't count the teleport ability making everyone go sorceress until they have Enigma.
- The trading system and how it makes you feel like part of a community.

What I didn't like:
- Everyone is a Sorc due to teleport. It's hard to trade when everyone is looking for the same few items.
- Being this old, this is pretty much a solved game. Everyone knows what is valuable and aims for those items, so mid range items and minor upgrades struggle in the trade economy.
- Meanwhile, self-found gear is a bit too slow for my tastes. It was easy enough to get a decent build that can go through Hell via trading, but after I got 3 piece tal, a spirit, magefists, decent yellow amulet/rings, and geared my merc, I hit a wall that wouldn't budge for several days. I needed to find a high rune or bust. I tried farming some popular spots like hell ancient tunnels, hell durance of hate, hell mephisto, andariel, etc for a few hours a day while listening to podcasts without making any real progress for the past 3-4 days.
- Demand for starting gear like monarchs, 4os polerams, resist charms, MF items dropped considerably after the first few days so I wasn't able to trade as much.

it's a great fucking game and I am glad I played the heck out of it for for a couple of weeks. The dislikes I have are not the fault of the game itself but is a product of everything being pretty much figured out by the community. The trading is one of this games' biggest strengths. If I was at least getting something like a PUL rune a day or unique I can trade for a mid rune I would stick around and slowly build up for a month to trade for an item I need. As it is, I think I am ready to move on due to having horrible luck for the last few days. Kudos to those that can weather the RNG variance of not getting shit for days on end.

drotahorror

Think I am about done with the game and just wanted to post some final thoughts here.

I never played the original Diablo 2, was mostly a console gamer back then. This was a nice opportunity to see what I missed out on after enjoying D3 on and off for years.

What I liked:
- The vibe of this game is miles ahead of D3. From the excellent music, to color palette, to lighting system, to the dark brooding atmosphere.
- I disliked having tons of affixes on screen in D3, forcing you to spend a considerable amount repositioning and waiting for them to expire. D2 has a much simpler and satisfying system of moving slightly out of range of things, kiting, and dodging slow projectiles. You are constantly moving and fighting.
- I like the rune system as it adds a whole layer to gearing. I also like that sets are strong but aren't the end all be all of gearing.
- Love the loot system and how many things can be valuable. From white and grey bases, to charms, to jewels, to runes. You can find a real gem when you least expect it.
- Seems like every class has a few viable builds so the balance is alright if you don't count the teleport ability making everyone go sorceress until they have Enigma.
- The trading system and how it makes you feel like part of a community.

What I didn't like:
- Everyone is a Sorc due to teleport. It's hard to trade when everyone is looking for the same few items.
- Being this old, this is pretty much a solved game. Everyone knows what is valuable and aims for those items, so mid range items and minor upgrades struggle in the trade economy.
- Meanwhile, self-found gear is a bit too slow for my tastes. It was easy enough to get a decent build that can go through Hell via trading, but after I got 3 piece tal, a spirit, magefists, decent yellow amulet/rings, and geared my merc, I hit a wall that wouldn't budge for several days. I needed to find a high rune or bust. I tried farming some popular spots like hell ancient tunnels, hell durance of hate, hell mephisto, andariel, etc for a few hours a day while listening to podcasts without making any real progress for the past 3-4 days.
- Demand for starting gear like monarchs, 4os polerams, resist charms, MF items dropped considerably after the first few days so I wasn't able to trade as much.

it's a great fucking game and I am glad I played the heck out of it for for a couple of weeks. The dislikes I have are not the fault of the game itself but is a product of everything being pretty much figured out by the community. The trading is one of this games' biggest strengths. If I was at least getting something like a PUL rune a day or unique I can trade for a mid rune I would stick around and slowly build up for a month to trade for an item I need. As it is, I think I am ready to move on due to having horrible luck for the last few days. Kudos to those that can weather the RNG variance of not getting shit for days on end.

This is pretty much exactly my thoughts. I think you're geared better than me and can farm better than I. I've been farming Meph and pindleskin, countess, pits, there is just zero progress. I do this for a few hours and have nothing to show for. I guess I just value my time a little more. I have tons of other awesome games to play that are on hold for D2R. D2R is amazing, but I think I'm kind of over it at this point. It has definitely helped clear my mind after losing a very well loved person that meant a lot to so many people, so I'm glad the game did come out when it did.

Reactions: MrS

Relique

This is pretty much exactly my thoughts. I think you're geared better than me and can farm better than I. I've been farming Meph and pindleskin, countess, pits, there is just zero progress. I do this for a few hours and have nothing to show for. I guess I just value my time a little more. I have tons of other awesome games to play that are on hold for D2R. D2R is amazing, but I think I'm kind of over it at this point. It has definitely helped clear my mind after losing a very well loved person that meant a lot to so many people, so I'm glad the game did come out when it did.
I am sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad you found some comfort in this game while grieving.
I echo your sentiment in that I am ready to play other stuff. The past few weeks have actually been really strong and many well reviewed titles have come out and are now waiting in my backlog. I also wanted to finish a few stray games I never got around to before the end of the year, since next year is pretty damn stacked. Right now I am going through Arkham City and it's such a gem of a game.

D2 classic was really a product of it's time, and while it aged like fine wine from the gameplay department and absolutely holds up today, I think in today's landscape the progression is a little bit too slow when compared to other loot games. I suppose we were younger and had a much higher tolerance to grinding.... I know I did. There were awesome games back then too but I feel like nowadays there are so many service type games fighting for your time compared to then. I am really hopeful they manage to get Diablo 4 feeling more like D2R than D3 from an atmosphere and gameplay POV, I'll be there day one either way. In the meantime, I got my ARPG fix for a little while. I might try Last Epoch the next time they have a sale as I hear it's improved tremendously with recent patches.

Last edited:
I don't see enemy health bars. Just black boxes over them with their description/name. Is that a bug or am I blind?

Btw., the shared stash bug is not fixed on PS5. Put a worthless item into it and next day it was gone.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Playing on controller I learned :

There is a run on and off button. Not just the hold to sprint button.

There is 3 versions of the minimap. So you can have a smaller version in the corner.

There is an auto sort feature.

You can use all your abilities much faster and easier on pad.

-----

How did Blizzard/Vicarious not see a need to give us an option for the same skill options as controller on mouse and keyboard?
Because fans cried about it would change the experience of playing the old game.

The same people were cheering over the other QOL features, because it was useful to them. Yes, hypocritical much.

I said since the beta that controller is the best experience, which is ironic given its a PC game originally.

I don't see enemy health bars. Just black boxes over them with their description/name. Is that a bug or am I blind?

Btw., the shared stash bug is not fixed on PS5. Put a worthless item into it and next day it was gone.
It hasn't affected me in the last 30 hours of play, have all 3 tabs full and had to make a mule character just to hold more of my gear. I wonder what exactly is causing the bug, strange.

I think a lot of newcomers in particular ruined their experience of D2 by looking up everything before the game even came out and obsessed over builds before they had any idea how the game actually flows and changes across difficulty levels. For me the real D2 experience is offline solo, relying on yourself and *only* yourself no matter how tough things get, no trading, no help slaying that difficult boss. I also feel the idea of mindlessly farming the same area for hours on end is joyless and soul-sucking. I'm currently in Act IV on Nightmare and haven't farmed a single thing. I've used whatever dropped, some things greatly complimented my play style while others had at least *some* sort of utility. The adrenaline rush of a an item dropping that really helps my build hasn't faded, had I obsessed with farming or creating op Runewords it most certainly would have. Let's see how I feel when my Werebear Druid hits Hell difficulty.

The game is a massive time-sink, clearing Hell with even a single character is an achievement and while I'd love to try to do it with ALL characters there are just way too many other games on the horizon (and games already released) I want to play. For now I remain absolutely locked into D2's beautifully dark world and will likely continue to be for the next couple of weeks. No matter what I got my money's worth, it's been quite the experience.

Last edited:

Bramble

So Diablo 2 n00b here. I played some of the beta, but that raised more questions than answers.

I noticed the inventory space is rather limited. I read that this isn't expandable, is it? So what do you guys do in regards of loot management? Especially early game. Just pick up as much as possible and sell it at the camp? Or only pick up more valuable items?

Do you also buy stuff or just wait for the good drops?

So Diablo 2 n00b here. I played some of the beta, but that raised more questions than answers.

I noticed the inventory space is rather limited. I read that this isn't expandable, is it? So what do you guys do in regards of loot management? Especially early game. Just pick up as much as possible and sell it at the camp? Or only pick up more valuable items?

Early game you can get a belt/sash so your potions will be stored there instead of taking inventory space. I found a belt with 12 spaces. Usually the ones with 8 are easy to run into.

As far as other loot, unless its special colored, theres no point dragging it with you to sell for peanuts. Maybe on your way back to camp sure, you have space. Otherwise prioritize equipment you put on yourself. On normal potions and mana are falling like hot cakes. I still havent bought a single potion in 3 acts, thats how often the game is giving them to you.

Later you will get a cube that grants 8 more spaces. But get rings, diamonds, amulets. Small items that sell well. Rather than taking up space of a regular armor of 8 spaces to get not even half of what one ring sold for.

P.S. you have a stash chest in camp so if you ever want to hold onto items or gems for later. Just dump em there from your inventory. Your stash space is massive.

Inviusx

Your stash now has 4 shared stash slots, so you have plenty of room to keep valuable stuff. As for your personal inventory there's a few things you can do to alleviate the issue.

Try and get a 16 slot belt asap, then you don't need to worry about carrying potions in your main inventory. Secondly, in Act 2 you will get an item called the Horadric Cube which is probably the most important item in the game and you will have it for the rest of your life. Carry it in your personal inventory because it takes up 4 slots but can hold 12 internally, so it's basically 8 free slots.

Lastly, at vendors in town (Akara in the Rogue Encmapment) you can buy tomes (books) for Town Portal and Identify scrolls, these take up 2 slots in your inventory but can hold 20 individual scrolls each. So you can free up heaps of space by not carrying those around by themselves.

Oh and one last thing, don't be too precious about the charms you will find, some will be really powerful and worth keeping but others are better off being sold, so don't just stack charms for no reason, only keep what makes sense for your class/build.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
You are blind and so am i. When i get closer to the TV i can see the health bar depleting but at a normal viewing distance it is just a black bar.

I hope this gets fixed or that there will be an option to customize it.

Con-Z-epT

At the beginning it is part of the gameplay loop to teleport back to the vendors to sell magic, rare or unique items. Your personal inventory, independent of your stash, is in fact quite limited and not expandable. Slightly with the Horadric Cube. You are not supposed to play a mule and drag every single item back to town. When you get a better understanding of an items value you will know if should take something with you or not.

Sometimes you can get decent items from vendors so yes from time to time i buy something from them. Mostly to upgrade it with runes and gems.

You are blind and so am i. When i get closer to the TV i can see the health bar depleting but at a normal viewing distance it is just a black bar.

Ah okay, that must be the darkest red I've ever (not) seen. I'll try with increased brightness and the zoomed in view tonight.

For me the real D2 experience is offline solo, relying on yourself and *only* yourself no matter how tough things get, no trading, no help slaying that difficult boss. I also feel the idea of mindlessly farming the same area for hours on end is joyless and soul-sucking. I'm currently in Act IV on Nightmare and haven't farmed a single thing. I've used whatever dropped, some things greatly complimented my play style while others had at least *some* sort of utility. The adrenaline rush of a an item dropping that really helps my build hasn't faded, had I obsessed with farming or creating op Runewords it most certainly would have. Let's see how I feel when my Werebear Druid hits Hell difficulty.

The game is a massive time-sink, clearing Hell with even a single character is an achievement and while I'd love to try to do it with ALL characters there are just way too many other games on the horizon (and games already released) I want to play. For now I remain absolutely locked into D2's beautifully dark world and will likely continue to be for the next couple of weeks. No matter what I got my money's worth, it's been quite the experience.
I agree, but I don't have a choice with my hardcore zealot anyway. If I played online one lagspike could mean the end.

Con-Z-epT

Ah okay, that must be the darkest red I've ever (not) seen. I'll try with increased brightness and the zoomed in view tonight.
It felt like i wouldn't do any damage to Diablo so i went closer to the screen to check that. :messenger_grinning_smiling: My girlfriend can see it from far away so i guess i'm getting old.

It felt like i wouldn't do any damage to Diablo so i went closer to the screen to check that. :messenger_grinning_smiling: My girlfriend can see it from far away so i guess i'm getting old.
Well, at least we're not alone though:

Con-Z-epT

Well, at least we're not alone though:

There is still hope i guess.

Kacho

Gold Member

Lol. I’m colorblind too and I can’t see it either unless I go right up to the tv. Seeing red on black is usually hard for me but the dark red they used in this is impossible to see.

I also had issues seeing unique drops until I calibrated my TV.

The colorblind options in the game don’t do anything to help.

Con-Z-epT

Lol. I’m colorblind too and I can’t see it either unless I go right up to the tv. Seeing red on black is usually hard for me but the dark red they used in this is impossible to see.

I have a red-green weakness and it is incredibly hard to see even close up.

Your stash now has 4 shared stash slots, so you have plenty of room to keep valuable stuff. As for your personal inventory there's a few things you can do to alleviate the issue.

Try and get a 16 slot belt asap, then you don't need to worry about carrying potions in your main inventory. Secondly, in Act 2 you will get an item called the Horadric Cube which is probably the most important item in the game and you will have it for the rest of your life. Carry it in your personal inventory because it takes up 4 slots but can hold 12 internally, so it's basically 8 free slots.

Lastly, at vendors in town (Akara in the Rogue Encmapment) you can buy tomes (books) for Town Portal and Identify scrolls, these take up 2 slots in your inventory but can hold 20 individual scrolls each. So you can free up heaps of space by not carrying those around by themselves.

Oh and one last thing, don't be too precious about the charms you will find, some will be really powerful and worth keeping but others are better off being sold, so don't just stack charms for no reason, only keep what makes sense for your class/build.
Holy shit i didn't know there was a 16 slot belt :D

treemk

Banned
This is true but I also think it's a product of how people play games as much as it is the game being figured out. Even back in the day before enigma was in the game everyone knew the sorc was the best for magic find but there was more interest in fun and less on meta optimization back then.

Tg89

Man I feel like I'm having pretty shit luck with my MF so far. I've basically gone 70-85 strictly off Meph/Ancient Tunnels/Shenk/Pindle (all at players 1, so yeah) and haven't got much of anything notable. Couple Arachnids which are nice, managed to trade one for an Occy. Still yet to see a Shako (using a 49% Tarnhelm though), 40% chancies, a single Vipermagi.

No Shako, no travs, nothing to speak of for ammys. Been scrapping together trades for Puls/Ums. Feels bad.

I did get an SOJ off a council member, so maybe I shouldn't bitch too much.

Con-Z-epT

Yep, me too. I don't have trouble discerning grass green from blood red, but for sapphires and amethysts I sometimes have to look twice to tell them apart.
Wouldn't have thought this weakness could also affect dark red and black.
The smaller the nuances the harder it gets. Especially when you go more to the black or white side of the color saturation. It is a bit different for everyone.

Stop derailing the thread! :messenger_winking::messenger_grinning_sweat:

drotahorror

Doesn't help that mouse/kb has huge health bars and enemy names while controller has tiny nameplates. It's really the complete opposite of what I expected.

KB/M

u64YhW1.jpg

Controller

YzHPpzM.jpg

The little health bars for controller are fine until you're in a dark area, or when the health bar gets real small.

Last edited:

I thought I was losing my mind because I can be one inch from the screen and can't see shit

I'm color blind and have even turned on the color blind mode in the game. doesn't do shit when it comes to enemy health bars.

Last edited:

Relique

This is true but I also think it's a product of how people play games as much as it is the game being figured out. Even back in the day before enigma was in the game everyone knew the sorc was the best for magic find but there was more interest in fun and less on meta optimization back then.
Fair point. I can believe that more people go for the strongest stuff nowadays, especially with all these youtube guides everywhere telling them to.

Con-Z-epT

I'm color blind and have even turned on the color blind mode in the game. doesn't do shit when it comes to enemy health bars.
Yep, me too. I don't have trouble discerning grass green from blood red, but for sapphires and amethysts I sometimes have to look twice to tell them apart.
I’m red-green as well 😩
I have a red-green weakness and it is incredibly hard to see even close up.
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

for those of you who are struggling with your MF, I would recommend the below especially if you're farming meph:

have a gull dagger (or ali baba) and a rhyme shield on switch and switch to it right before meph dies

that will increase your MF by 125%. gull dagger is cheap to trade for and rhyme is a very cheap runeword

outside of that I would say the best thing you can do is MF whatever you can MF most efficiently/quickly

it's also important that you don't burn out. I was doing AT for several days straight and needed a break. decided to switch to hell cows until I found a high rune, and have been doing mephisto since.

definitely been getting the best drops from hell mephisto, best runes from cows, and best xp from ancient tunnels

I'm going to switch to meph for a bit since I can get it done extremely fast with my blizz sorc

this should also go without saying but for meph make sure you know how to read the map so you can find the stairs to lvl 3 as quickly as possible. it shouldn't take more than 15-20 seconds to get to him if lvl 3 exit spawns in a bad spot if you are a sorc. realistically most of the stair spawns should take you 3-7 seconds to get to.

Last edited:
also for those of you who feel bad, yesterday I traded a shit load of stuff for an ethereal elite armor hoping to ebug it using the socket trick

well I got the armor, used cube to socket it only to find out they fixed the bug in d2r

probably should have researched that before I traded, but this was a bug I didn't expect them to fix

Malakhov

Banned
Diablo 2 is the only game that produces coil whine from my gpu, ridiculous. I'll try a fps cap to see if it fixes it, have read a lot of people experienced this as well

DavidGzz

Has DF or anyone done a framerate test for D2 on console? I can't see how performance mode on XSX is 60 fps, my character looks like he stutters way too much. Maybe it' the fact that when I play at home on console I am online as opposed to being used to offline when I play the PC version.

I thought I was losing my mind because I can be one inch from the screen and can't see shit

Tried the zoomed in mode but that didn't help either. Only increasing brightness (gamma calibration) made the health slightly more visible, but then everything else looked terrible.

Vagswarm

This game is absolutely crack on the switch. Have not been productive all week.
Same on the PC. I've had to force myself to stop before sessions become too long, because college is too important. Getting really high grades and can't mess that up over a video game. lol

My Zealot Paladin is a beast compared to the wuss of a Necromancer. Swinging at hordes of mobs at the same time in a circular motion like I'm on speed and cocaine. Tore right through Normal.

Last edited:
I tried to be smart and created a portal to run off to when fighting Memphisto and then bugged out when i returned, i felt my gamepad shaking but no sound or anything, it still gives me the loading screen...once it does load..im dead. Basically the game started before it loaded. That was my first death in the game. So i thought fuck that Im not going to retrieve my body all the way there going barebones to find it so I did the "trick" to just save and exit and return to the docks with my body now in front of me right there. Only problem is, everything returned except my 170.000K in cash :messenger_face_screaming: I barely had enough cash to buy back my merc lol. I sure hope Hell has some good money spots.

Worst thing is, this annoyed me so much so I went full force against Memphisto the second time and realized...i didnt even have to leave the area. I just banged in front of him and kept using potions and killed him in like 15 seconds :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
OK, shared stash is definitely still bugged, guess I was lucky for 30 hours. Reorganized my stash last night, logged in today and lost ALL my perfect gems 😱😱😱. 7GB update currently downloading, hopefully this is fixed.
any patch notes>

Blizzard Entertainment has released the Diablo 2 Resurrected update 1.03 (PS5 version 1.003) patch this October 5, and this includes a short list of fixes, which includes one that fixes saves for offline characters that have the same name as online characters.

For now, the patch is only out for PlayStation and Xbox, with the Nintendo Switch version getting it at a later date.

Diablo 2 Resurrected Update 1.03 Patch Notes | Diablo 2 Resurrected Update 1.003 Patch Notes:​

PATCH NOTES
A new patch is now available for Xbox and PlayStation consoles. We will have an update to this thread when this becomes available on Nintendo devices. Read below to learn more about the latest changes.
BUG FIXES
GENERAL

• Fixed saves for offline characters that shared the same names as their online characters
  • Fixed an issue where players are now notified that their Xbox Live accounts are being linked during account linking
  • Fixed an issue preventing players from creating a game in their region after they joined a game in a different region
STABILITY AND PERFORMANCE
  • Fixed numerous related miscellaneous bugs that would cause users games to crash

My switch version also updated. V1.0.0.3
My PC is at V 1.0.66063

Last edited:
Top Bottom