• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2: Resurrected |OT| Angels and Demons? Sanctuary much.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Level 84 might be low. I'm level 81 and on Act I. Granted the experience gained is a lot quicker with /players 8, but the cap is 99 and you're near the end of the game on the highest difficulty. Might not hurt to get it higher.

And wow, I had no idea you could play a sorc with no points put into energy and make it that far. And I can't find any good items for the Barbarian either. Even if something has high AR, it's for a dexterity or mana based class instead of strength.
Maybe with the december patch so i can increase my xp gain but right now a new level takes a lot of time. But you are right.

You still get 2 points to mana for each level and together with a +150-200 to mana from charms and the meditation aura from my merc this is really doable. Energy shield is also incredibly useful to not die to fast.

The best would be to play with each class alternately and share the gear but who would do that?

Vagswarm

Btw., just underestimated the power of a hard-hitting zombie and died in Hell. The difference to Nightmare is larger than I remembered (beat it 2019 with a non-hardcore char).
I'll take a break now until 2022.
That sucks; you just got there too. At least you made it without dying once, that's a pretty big deal. And you are right, the difficulty is a big difference. Going back on Nightmare is like a cakewalk even on Act V. Hell difficulty doesn't mess around, that's for sure.

If you're anything like me, you'll change your masochist mind in a day and jump right back to into it. lol. Must beat this damn game, with this character and /players 8 enabled!

I've used this method and it still wiped my shared stash. Looks like I'm waiting for the december patch. :/
Ouch, sorry to hear. The method has been working 100% reliably for me.

If you're anything like me, you'll change your masochist mind in a day and jump right back to into it. lol. Must beat this damn game, with this character and /players 8 enabled!
Well, after being bored all day, I just couldn't resist and started anew now after all.
You're right - it's like a curse, just won't be able to enjoy other games until I've beaten Hell with a hardcore character.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Managed to defeat Andariel in the first attempt! Took some trickery to lure the Elite Affliction (I hate those things so much) to the beginning area by the stairs and making sure the Portal was always active inside her lair to come in and out for potions without alerting the Affliction douche. It had a lot of minions but I managed to blind and evade pretty good. Then using the big batch of barrels to hide and reheal especially against Andariel. Took about a dozen trips back to town, lol. Oh well, victory! Screw that Act forever. Now it's time to get destroyed in Act II with only 34% poison resistance.

*All of the items were trash. Big surprise there.

M79zA9g.jpg

Last edited:

Vagswarm

I’ve parked the game since I lost two full acts of progress. Sad because I was really enjoying it.
Come on man, where's the motivation? Just a minor setback. Think of this game as longer term.

I already restarted 3 times due to making horrible skill choices -- the first character was almost finished with normal difficulty. Been getting my ass kicked constantly since entering Hell difficulty. All characters with /8 players enabled. John from above is on his 7th or so hardcore character. The most recent one made it all the way to Hell difficulty! Con has also been struggling on Hell difficulty for a long time.

It's part of the gig. Jump back in and enjoy the torture!

Last edited:
Grabbed this for Switch on the sale the other day. Loved playing the original and this is just as great. I wish they made more quality of life improvements but at least it wasn’t the disaster that was Warcraft 3 Reforged.

The game looks and runs great on the Switch and shines on the OLED screen. Almost done Act 1 and can’t wait to play more. I made an offline character, a Barbarian, to start.

Vagswarm

Farming runes while leveling up paid off... Finally got the blinding target sword up to Elite quality. Thought I had one more tier of runes to go, but I'll take it any day.

Battles are starting to feel a little more even now.

WrtunWQ.jpg

Con-Z-epT

The new update is out! At least on Playstation.

The increase in difficulty for the higher offline player count is heavy. But doable.
Would have loved to see a bit more XP gain from it but it is definitely a great difference.
Drop rate is nice and all but now i find even more useless items and gear. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I guess it means also an increase of the chances something useful will drop.
I also noticed that the symbol for the immunity of an enemy got increased for better visibility. Now i just need a better contrast for the health bar.

Guess value 8 is the way to play now. Respect Vagswarm Vagswarm for playing like that all along!

Last edited:
The new update is out! At least on Playstation.

The increase in difficulty for the higher offline player count is heavy. But doable.
Would have loved to see a bit more XP gain from it but it is definitely a great difference.
Drop rate is nice and all but now i find even more useless items and gear. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I guess it means also an increase of the chances something useful will drop.
I also noticed that the symbol for the immunity of an enemy got increased for better visibility. Now i just need a better contrast for the health bar.

Guess value 8 is the way to play now. Respect Vagswarm Vagswarm for playing like that all along!
Another welcome change: you now don't have to enter the exact amount anymore when your gold-deposit to the stash would exceed 2.5 million.

Vagswarm

WTF?! Never had this happen before. I was at 700+ health with 5000+ defense and Korlic's death killed me as well:

hcdeath8.gif

I don't remember that killing an Ancient does damage to you, is this a bug?

So that was my 8th character...off to the 9th.
Damn, that's horrible. Doesn't look like there's anything you could have done to prevent it. Can't trust these games with things like hardcore mode unless they're 100% polished which will never happen.

Still give you a lot of credit for chugging through.

Vagswarm

Finally got some decent charms. I had no idea you could get +all resistances from them, but I'll definitely take it. 3 resistances are maxed out and the last one is close.

Not including the tombs and the cube, all of the slots in my inventory except 4 are now filled with charms. Lmao.

9Bn5418.jpg
Yt5hLZT.jpg

Damn, that's horrible. Doesn't look like there's anything you could have done to prevent it. Can't trust these games with things like hardcore mode unless they're 100% polished which will never happen.
Yeah that's the first death that I really don't feel responsible for. But by now I'm so addicted that I also enjoy beginning new at level 1 and speed-running through Normal.

Finally got some decent charms. I had no idea you could get +all resistances from them, but I'll definitely take it. 3 resistances are maxed out and the last one is close.

Not including the tombs and the cube, all of the slots in my inventory except 4 are now filled with charms. Lmao.

9Bn5418.jpg
Yt5hLZT.jpg
Never got such special ones, best ones I have are +22 lightning and +28 fire resistance charms. Can you get any grand charm by rerolling any other with 3 pgems?
iLvl doesn't seem to matter - I've rerolled a lvl 52 grand charm into a lvl 3 one...

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Can you get any grand charm by rerolling any other with 3 pgems?
I rerolled any charm from small to grand and from level 1 to about 55, if i dont like the stats, and the outcome seems so completely random that i think it should be possible with the exeption for the high end stats. With that i mean the grand charms you get from some of the bosses that can be rolled higher for certain stats.

Vagswarm

Yeah that's the first death that I really don't feel responsible for. But by now I'm so addicted that I also enjoy beginning new at level 1 and speed-running through Normal.

Never got such special ones, best ones I have are +22 lightning and +28 fire resistance charms. Can you get any grand charm by rerolling any other with 3 pgems?
iLvl doesn't seem to matter - I've rerolled a lvl 52 grand charm into a lvl 3 one...
Haha, I was gonna say, you got there real fast. But yeah, the core gameplay is so addicting. If WoW was like this, I'd probably die on the chair from playing too long.

I have no idea on the second question as I never rerolled a charm. They drop all the time so I never bothered.

Vagswarm

Holy monster weapons. The first one's stats & damage make both my swords look like toys. Even has 2 slots. Too bad I already used all 3 respec's from the witch lady in Act I. lol. I heard there's unlimited respec opportunities, but you need high level runes. Probably never gonna happen.

The second one takes up half the screen with just the stats and inventory slots. Talk about badass.

SN1A6H0.jpg
KmShBz3.jpg

Last edited:
I rerolled any charm from small to grand and from level 1 to about 55, if i dont like the stats, and the outcome seems so completely random that i think it should be possible with the exeption for the high end stats. With that i mean the grand charms you get from some of the bosses that can be rolled higher for certain stats.
Okay, so for some it is different, but for the normal ones you can get anything - thanks!

Holy monster weapons. The first one's stats & damage make both my swords look like toys. Even has 2 slots. Too bad I already used all 3 respec's from the witch lady in Act I. lol. I heard there's unlimited respec opportunities, but you need high level runes. Probably never gonna happen.

The second one takes up half the screen with just the stats and inventory slots. Talk about badass.

SN1A6H0.jpg
KmShBz3.jpg
I've got that axe probably three times already from Nightmare Diablo. But since I'm not planning to play Barbarian I always sold it.
But that Maul is crazy.

Con-Z-epT

Okay, so for some it is different, but for the normal ones you can get anything - thanks!
I found contradictory information online about the level requirements of charms and for rerolling them but i don't think it matters, as i rerolled some grand charms with level one who ended up being quite high in level and stats and vice versa.

Some bosses (don't know which anymore) may drop grand charms that can be higher for some stats and may also be rerolled higher. I'm not sure if you will always get the "special charm" from a boss or not.

I found contradictory information online about the level requirements of charms and for rerolling them but i don't think it matters, as i rerolled some grand charms with level one who ended up being quite high in level and stats and vice versa.

Some bosses (don't know which anymore) may drop grand charms that can be higher for some stats and may also be rerolled higher. I'm not sure if you will always get the "special charm" from a boss or not.
Found multiple sources that say Nightmare&Hell Diablo, Nihlathak and Baal.
Good point, I also doubt that it always is a special one when they drop a charm.

New update is out but i can't find any patch notes. Seems like bug fixes. Don't know...
Just an assassin bug fix and a PC-only fix regarding mouse wheel-mapping: https://updatecrazy.com/diablo-2-resurrected-d2r-update-12-6-v2-3-0-1-patch-notes-official/

Also hasted through Nightmare this time and finally am back in Hell, but reached it with the minimum recommended level 60 (almost 61) - 8 levels less than last time.
Couldn't even beat The Den as there was a lightning enchanted stone-armor zombie that I couldn't put a dent in so I retreated. But am lvl62 now.

My only noteworthy gear is this neat shield:

42607449cr.png

Other than that I only have Smoke armor, Lore helmet and an Ancient Sword with King's Grace which is too weak for stone armor enemies even at /players 1.
Going to play very cautiously now in Hell. Also will try to fully explore and clear as much as possible.

Btw., found out why I died last time against Korlic: he does have corpse explosion in Nightmare. This time I made sure not to stand as close to him:

Last edited:
Just got to Act lV on nightmare with my level 59 Sorceress. Probably a bit over leveled but whatever. I have an ok Staff but the rest of my gear is pretty meh. He'll is gonna be a tough one.

Every so often I gamble about 1.5 million on amulets trying for a 2 to all skills but have come up empty so far. Any tips for getting good belts or shoes and such ?

Any tips for getting good belts or shoes and such ?
You can craft some gloves, shoes and belts: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Crafting_Recipes
But they aren't that great in my opinion.

Once per difficulty you can give Charsi gloves, shoes or a belt to turn them into a yellow item.

But I think you really get the best of these items just by playing the game and having some luck.
You can also get lucky with gambling, but that's a rare occurence.

You can craft some gloves, shoes and belts: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Crafting_Recipes
But they aren't that great in my opinion.

Once per difficulty you can give Charsi gloves, shoes or a belt to turn them into a yellow item.

But I think you really get the best of these items just by playing the game and having some luck.
You can also get lucky with gambling, but that's a rare occurence.
Yeah my shoes I got from Charsi and they are pretty solid.

Do you think rings are worth gambling on if you have extra money ? Like do they have rings that give +1 or 2 to all skill levels ?

MikeM

Just finished my first play through with a fury druid. Landed a Bloodletter which is working surprisingly well with my build.

^Good that you've reconsidered. In the game's current state you shouldn't lose whole acts of progress anymore.

Do you think rings are worth gambling on if you have extra money ? Like do they have rings that give +1 or 2 to all skill levels ?
Only got an amulet from gambling with Paladin all skill levels +1 incl. Strength +3.
I don't think there are rings that give you skill bonuses except Stone of Jordan and Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band.
You'll probably never get these by gambling. But you can get other very good rings through gambling.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm also stuck at the moment. Diablo in Nightmare as 61 necro. Bone prison, red blast, dead. Been trying to use party finder but no joy :/

Death comes quickly in Hell:

hcdeath888.gif

Reminded me of the first encounter with the Butcher in Diablo I. Gone was the 9th hardcore zealot.
After this I decided on a different approach: hasted through Normal and Nightmare with 4 characters (at these difficulties I could comfortably follow Cobra Kai) so that I basically have "4 lives" in Hell now:

42812722jz.png

Found some really nice weapons on the way:

42812723fa.png
42812724wl.png
42812725xy.png

These two being the best:

42812730cs.png
42812731qs.png

With that short sword (falcata) I do 700 to 1465 (times 5 quick strikes due to zeal) already at level 62:

42812737kz.png

For max resistances this shield is quite useful:

42812741zy.png

+111 to all resistances (also have a +103 one as backup)

Gonna take it really seriously now in Hell. Will be staying in Blood Moor only until all characters are at level 68 before I start to move forward very slowly.
Also unlike Normal&Nightmare I'll only play when I can fully focus on the game.

Con-Z-epT

Death comes quickly in Hell:

hcdeath888.gif

Reminded me of the first encounter with the Butcher in Diablo I. Gone was the 9th hardcore zealot.
After this I decided on a different approach: hasted through Normal and Nightmare with 4 characters (at these difficulties I could comfortably follow Cobra Kai) so that I basically have "4 lives" in Hell now:

42812722jz.png

Found some really nice weapons on the way:

42812723fa.png
42812724wl.png
42812725xy.png

These two being the best:

42812730cs.png
42812731qs.png

With that short sword (falcata) I do 700 to 1465 (times 5 quick strikes due to zeal) already at level 62:

42812737kz.png

For max resistances this shield is quite useful:

42812741zy.png

+111 to all resistances (also have a +103 one as backup)

Gonna take it really seriously now in Hell. Will be staying in Blood Moor only until all characters are at level 68 before I start to move forward very slowly.
Also unlike Normal&Nightmare I'll only play when I can fully focus on the game.
Classic Film Respect GIF by Warner Archive

Right in the first two goes at Hell Blood Moor I found gear that dwarfed everything I got from Nightmare, most notably these gloves with +350% damage (=450% in total) to demons:

42844945vk.png

Then a dusk shroud which has 665 defense with Smoke:

42844946cs.png

And with this Passion axe I do 5 quick strikes of 1100 to almost 2k damage:

42844947hi.png

42844948di.png

Also found two of these for the (might) merc:

42844949qn.png

Brought all four characters up to level 68 which is appropriate for the next zones:

42845031ka.png

Btw., during the Normal & Nightmare runs I figured out a quality of life-hack for Act 3: instead of running to Hratli or Asheara for repairs/merc resurrection it's much faster to just use the teleport pad back to Act I.

Last edited:
After pausing for a while I continued playing Hell with my 4 hardcore characters. The hardest part was Claw Viper Temple level 2 - needed loads of Full Rejuvs for this.
Also there were multiple times with every of these characters where my health dropped to 5% or less. But they all made it to act 3 and today I got one of them to act 5:

43110300ie.png

This Lawbringer secondary weapon is perfect against wraiths, itchies and general physical immunes:

43110296vz.png

Highly recommended. Any 3-socket one-handed sword, even the most basic, will do (because you don't care about physical damage).

When my 3rd character beat Duriel he dropped the best item I've ever found - I think this is one of the best amulets in the game:

43110298tf.png

Also very happy to have found the "cannot be frozen"-ring Raven Frost again (had lost one when I died a few months ago):

43110299ct.png

These are my current stats (almost 8000 defense):

43110301tt.png

Pretty confident one of the four characters will make it to the end. I'm very generous now with using full rejuvenation potions. Better use too many than too few.
Nothing felt terribly difficult so far. I'm aware though that Paladin is kinda baby-mode.
Skipped quite some content again due to boredom, slowed down leveling around level 80 and I'm too low level for some optional dungeons anyway.

When is the patch leaving PTR?
Soon, probably in the 2nd week of March (https://www.aoeah.com/news/832--d2r...ected-24-patch-release--ladder-season-1-start).

Top Bottom