• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Diablo could never be ported to console"

ACESHIGH

Banned
In 1996/97 controlling schemes were Way different than today. Analog sticks were not used as buttons for example. Button combinations were not as used. D pad was not used as buttons either as dual analog controls were not a thing on ps.

PC gamers always talk based on experience and facts.

Money talks.

They had it in their head that PC was so great (which it is) to the point that games couldn't translate to consoles where players used controllers. Turns out that the game could come to consoles and they were somewhat willing to compromise in order to make more $. The first time I ever played a Diablo game was on PS3 lol. Now we have it on PS3, PS4, PS5, 360, XB1, XSX, and even Switch. So it was a load of bullshit.

I think a lot of people don't consider that probably 90% of mouse movement is "wasted" because it is just moving between things you want to click. Therefore, using a controller that skips all of that and simply goes thing to thing when you move around the GUI can actually be faster, or at least similar. To make an Excel comparison, it is like hitting the down arrow and moving to each cell in a row, or holding down control while hitting down and immediately going to the next cell that has something in it. If the developer makes intelligent choices with the controls and GUI changes it can be incredibly intuitive and quick to use menus with a controller, even in games like Diablo, FFXIV, and Baldur's Gate.

The other thing is that most people are incapable of considering is that different does not always equal worse.

Actually about that Excel reference, if you want to see some real elitism go ahead and find some old old old ass BBS or Usenet posts from DOS or Unix diehards that think using a mouse is trash period and all you need are keyboard shortcuts. You can also find tons of Geocities sites in archives that are filled with anti-Windows elitism and the mouse is usually one of the things mentioned.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I beat red alert 2 on PSX and played a shitload of Starcraft on N64. I'm not sure that there was ever a question of games being possible on console even back then. The common view was that the ports were inferior to PC which is pretty true due to the poor controls and other constraints.
I think the fear at the time was that the games would be made with consoles in mind and this would impact the PC versions. How wrong we were.

Antwix

Never tried it on console/controller. However as a sorc main, I fail to see how controller would ever be better than kb/m.

Wildebeest

I think a lot of people don't consider that probably 90% of mouse movement is "wasted" because it is just moving between things you want to click. Therefore, using a controller that skips all of that and simply goes thing to thing when you move around the GUI can actually be faster, or at least similar. To make an Excel comparison, it is like hitting the down arrow and moving to each cell in a row, or holding down control while hitting down and immediately going to the next cell that has something in it. If the developer makes intelligent choices with the controls and GUI changes it can be incredibly intuitive and quick to use menus with a controller, even in games like Diablo, FFXIV, and Baldur's Gate.

The other thing is that most people are incapable of considering is that different does not always equal worse.

Actually about that Excel reference, if you want to see some real elitism go ahead and find some old old old ass BBS or Usenet posts from DOS or Unix diehards that think using a mouse is trash period and all you need are keyboard shortcuts. You can also find tons of Geocities sites in archives that are filled with anti-Windows elitism and the mouse is usually one of the things mentioned.
That is now the argument for playing everything on mobile with automatic assists set to maximum, not the argument in favour of controllers.

AREYOUOKAY?

I beat red alert 2 on PSX and played a shitload of Starcraft on N64. I'm not sure that there was ever a question of games being possible on console even back then. The common view was that the ports were inferior to PC which is pretty true due to the poor controls and other constraints.
It’s funny because Nintendo released the perfect system for console rts games with the Wii U yet nobody attempted to port or make one for it. I would have bought StarCraft 1 and 2 or Warcraft 3 on it. Well maybe not perfect, but I’d imagine touch screen or stylus would be way better than buttons.

That is now the argument for playing everything on mobile with automatic assists set to maximum, not the argument in favour of controllers.
Yeah that's actually a fair point. At some point "accessibility" in itself becomes a cheat code, you can even see how a lot of recent games with extensive accessibility options basically have god mode included as part of it.

Lasha

It’s funny because Nintendo released the perfect system for console rts games with the Wii U yet nobody attempted to port or make one for it. I would have bought StarCraft 1 and 2 or Warcraft 3 on it. Well maybe not perfect, but I’d imagine touch screen or stylus would be way better than buttons.
Def. Pikmin 3 is as close as we got. RTS would have shined on the gamepad.

The Stig

To those saying Diablo on PS was anything but trash compared to PC, you're a lying liar and I can tell because your pants are on fire.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Whenever PCfats claimed that a game can’t be done on console, they’ve been wrong. Literally 100% of the time. Now, sometimes the results aren’t good (see: Ultima on NES), but it can be done. In the case of Diablo, yea they had to modify how D3 played to be more compatible with a controller, but it’s fine.

PSX got games like XCOM, Warcraft, C&C, Diablo, Syndicate 2, Mechwarrior 2, etc. Hit-and-miss, but the system also had a mouse and people enjoyed these games.

Last edited:
Please enlighten me, 90's PC gamers. What the fuck made Diablo impossible to imagine playing on a controller?

Nothing? I have been a PC gamer for 24 years now in a country primarily centered around PC gaming, and i have never heard anyone say that concerning point 'n click - hack 'n slash games like Diablo. They're very fucking simple to control.

The very first Diablo was ported on the original Playstation, IIRC. Every single Diablo game has been successfully ported on consoles, with the exception being Diablo II, which eventually did get ported via Resurrected.

More like Daggerfall or Earthsiege 2 couldn't be ported to console.

I skipped Diablo back then precisely because it hurt my eyes with those late Amiga visuals.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What are you talking about OP?

Diablo 1 had a pretty good PSX port.
The Diablo 2 Remaster works perfectly with a gamepad (arguably better than with mouse/kb).
What the actual fuck

Elginer

It was the 90s and we were up our own asses with video cards and stuff. Joking aside, just seemed like it wouldn't work great on a controller.

Top Bottom