• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo Immortal | After spending $100,000, player got so strong he can't find matches anymore

Draugoth

Gold Member

One YouTuber who reportedly spent over $100,000 on beefing up his Barbarian character. The player’s win rate is seemingly so good the game won’t even match him against other players, torpedoing his prospects of competing in the latest Rite of Exile end game event.

Over the weekend, Diablo Immortal YouTuber jtisallbusiness asked viewers if he should try to refund his $100,000 account as a result of the issue. He claimed that he spent so much money immediately following the game’s release that he was able to easily overpower almost every opponent in the game’s PVP Battlegrounds mode. As a result, he had hundreds of wins and only a few losses, pumping up his MMR (match-making rank) so high it became impossible to queue with anyone else.

“I would say it’s probably around, somewhere around 48 to 72 hours somewhere in between that of only trying to queue for a Battleground and never being able to get one.“So basically I’m stuck as the clan leader in the Immortals clan not being able to queue us up for Rite of Exile at all,” he said. “I can’t do anything about it.” Adding to his frustration is the fact that he’s trying to make money off Diablo Immortal as a streamer and content maker, an effort now seemingly stymied by his early spending spree (other videos are devoted to showing off his collection).

GermanZepp

E6iHzvuWYA06e_H.jpg

Doom85

Dude paid a ton of money to immediately hit Ultra Instinct, and then turned around and saw everyone still slowly making their way through the Saiyan Saga.

Afj43U0.jpg

Ceadeus

He assuredly made more money than he spent doing this.

One way or another it shows how bad f2p are becoming

radewagon

I'm sorry. The fact that a game even allows you to spend $100,000 is a tragedy. Can you imagine literally any other artform having a system in place to let you continuously drop infinite money onto a singular experience. Like, hey, I downloaded a free-to-read copy of Catcher in the Rye and I managed to spend 6 figures on rare taunts and new hunting caps for Holden that add some sick perks. Lordy. It's like these companies are just begging for the government to force regulations on them.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
This is a non-issue. It's a free to play game, he can just create another free account and spend less in order to find matches.
Show that you haven't read or watched anything regarding his account.

There's more issues other than PVP itself. He can't even let his guild join some clan war that declares them immortals or something. Figures he might give the clan head to someone else on his guild but the system literally cannot do it's functions properly and it gives an error instead.

Shit's a mess and he's $100000 deep.

This not only affects him but 300 other members of his guild that spent at least a minumun of $1k each.

He's probably not even mad that he can't fight anybody. The issue here is that an event quest that the guild requires has objective that require you to participate in pvp. He can't and by extension his guild can't do either.

Last edited:
Show that you haven't read or watched anything regarding his account.

There's more issues other than PVP itself. He can't even let his guild join some clan war that declares them immortals or something. Figures he might give the clan head to someone else on his guild but the system literally cannot do it's functions properly and it gives an error instead.

Shit's a mess and he's $100000 deep.

This not only affects him but 300 other members of his guild that spent at least a minumun of $1k each.

If he can afford to waste 100k on a game, I'm sure he can afford to reimburse his guild members

killatopak

Gold Member
If he can afford to waste 100k on a game, I'm sure he can afford to reimburse his guild members
You can't reimburse the time used in the guild to be able to participate in that immortal shit event that gives you exclusive wings or something. It's not purchasable.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm sorry. The fact that a game even allows you to spend $100,000 is a tragedy. Can you imagine literally any other artform having a system in place to let you continuously drop infinite money onto a singular experience. Like, hey, I downloaded a free-to-read copy of Catcher in the Rye and I managed to spend 6 figures on rare taunts and new hunting caps for Holden that add some sick perks. Lordy. It's like these companies are just begging for the government to force regulations on them.
I can't imagine any artform having such a system, but I can imagine a cynical gambling product with it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Two questions.

1. Anyone know what kind of boosts people can buy in this game to blow past everyone else into god mode?

2. This youtuber has 150k subbers. With that kind of following, is $100,000 chump change? Or is it truly a big dent in the wallet?

For me, paying to win in matches and obviously developers who allow this are shit. It is not about skill, it is about who pays more. What is the point of PVP? All "free to pay" are just sacrifices for those untalented people who needs to pay to win. I could hope the developers take their head out of their ass, but they are only for the money, so I do not expect this to happen.

They can go and
Embarrassed Tom And Jerry GIF

I feel so bad for this guy... "lollipop_disappointed: said no one LOL

it's like cheating in COD or some other competitive game... at some point it becomes pointless, no? it's empty. Moral of the story? Don't spend $100K on a P2W game LOL

Diablo Immortal is not an artform. And if someone wants to be able to spend 100k on the game they should be able to. Its not affecting you so dunno why you getting worked up over it.

Looks to me like the matchmaking system is working entirely as intended.

Maybe one day this guy will find another whale who has also spent six figures on Diablo Immortal and they can fight each other in a bitter whale rivalry until the breaking of the world.

Two questions.

1. Anyone know what kind of boosts people can buy in this game to blow past everyone else into god mode?

2. This youtuber has 150k subbers. With that kind of following, is $100,000 chump change? Or is it truly a big dent in the wallet?
I think 150k is not much.Not everyone of the 150k followers will watch every video of his.I think he gets a few 100s Dollars from YouTube views/adds a month.I don’t know maybe his videos are watched by millions then he would get a view thousands a month I think.What he gets from YouTube is not enough to pay 100k dollars.Let’s say he gets 10.000 a month what he definitely not gets with such low subscribers it would take him a year to pay that character.Maybe he earns from twitch streaming.

the_master

He spent that much money because he does not need it, he has more than enough for 100k to be pocket change. Now this shows another problem with the game and the monetization model

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Please tell me you didn’t use a top literary classic to compare with Diablo Immortal.

Also, there are plenty of entertainment experiences (which is what a game is) that allow you to drop $100,000 in one sitting. It just requires someone dumb enough to do so.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Diablo Immortal is not an artform. And if someone wants to be able to spend 100k on the game they should be able to. Its not affecting you so dunno why you getting worked up over it.

Considering what loose definitions of art there are, I’d say Diablo Immortal is art as it is showing us the vices of humankind: greed, pride, stupidity, egoism, narcissism…

Hell yeah, Diablo Immortal…

Harrison Ford That Belongs In A Museum GIF

Last edited:

radewagon

It's a predatory business model. If someone is particularly susceptible to being fleeced, that doesn't make it okay to fleece them. I consider myself lucky that I am not the type of person that is easily taken in by such practices (ie, not a whale). Regardless, I am capable of caring about such things even if they don't directly affect me. Empathy works like that. A game being able to take 100,000 (or more) of someone's money for fake goods is a problem. This is unchecked greed and it is putting an oversized burden on certain members of the gaming community. These people (whales) are not getting their money's worth. They are being took. If you are okay with that, I dunno, man... I hope no one in your family every gets conned out of their money.

levyjl1988

Banned
So that’s what it means when they say “it’s lonely at the very top”. Quite literally he can’t match with anyone. Lmao.

This is a good discussion about what motivates human beings. This guy doesn't want to be the strongest player in the game. He wants to beat up everyone who is weaker than he is. Kind of interesting. People don't care about being the best. They just care about beating everyone who is weaker than they are. I bet he wouldn't have any issue if he matched with players and one-shot them.

ManaByte

The fact that a YouTuber has that much money to waste shows you one of the problems with that platform.

Top Bottom