• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo Immortal is heavily pay to win. Don't login for a day you will lose items you paid for

Fuz

Banned
Play path of Exil will be 100 times better than 4 guaranteed
If only it weren't deeply rooted in the past.
No ah so you have to check websites, lose xp on death, risk of fucking up you character forever if you do a bad build on an extremly complex skill tree, only a very few viable builds, confusing currencies etc.
It's anachronistic.

Last edited:
No ah so you have to check websites, lose xp on death, risk of fucking up you character forever if you do a bad build on an extremly complex skill tree, only a very few viable builds, confusing currencies etc.
It's anachronistic.
Believe me it’s not difficult I don’t know the normal play I play exclusively in hardcore mode always.While playing you learn things and by trying out too it’s major fun.Once you get good drops or you build a good weapon till end game it’s easy of course you must watch out.easiest is golems and zombies you didn’t even have to do something they carry you select right nodes on skill tree

It's anachronistic.
I've been playing for almost 10 years now and I agree with you. It's a nightmare for a new player. Needs a huge time commitment to get anywhere. Or you follow a guide and play through the game but still know almost nothing about it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
We can only blame ourselves for not holding developers & publishers accountable for such atrocities.
Vote with your wallet.
or maybe you are just in the minority and most people are happy with mobile/F2P games.

i haven't spent any money in Immortal yet. Haven't felt any need to but I'm enjoying it and will be more than happy to spend some money in it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: I've spent some money in games like Genshin, Fortnite, Rocket League, Overwatch, etc. I like buying some loot boxes, skins, etc. I'm an adult and can do what I want with my money and I have control over it. It's gambling yeah but it's fun and I am responsible.

mobile/F2P games are huge and for a reason. they aren't going anywhere because there's $ to be made. if most people were so against them then they wouldn't exist. It's the same reason DLCs got so popular. People are happy to buy them.

i'd hate to live there. i know it's gambling but not allowing it at all sucks. it should be age restricted (which it actually is and if parents bother being parents) and regulated but outright banning it is stupid.

Last edited:
"at least" it has the reputation of blizzard to stand (lol), otherwise game would be discontinued in a year and a half. Netease pours good concepts, then ruins them completely with the monetization and lack of updates

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Without having played it I'm also going to assume it follows the standard practice or making you feel really powerful at the start and slowly making you feel weaker and weaker as the levels go up, essentially forcing your hand.
Yes. With increasing the time you need to grind to get the stronger gear to further continue on in the “game”.

Play path of Exil will be 100 times better than 4 guaranteed
I have actually never played Path of Exile, despite hearing about it for… what? Over a decade at this point? Is it available on consoles and what is the monetization scheme like?

Reactions: Fuz

Kamina

Golden Boy
or maybe you are just in the minority and most people are happy with mobile/F2P games.

i haven't spent any money in Immortal yet. Haven't felt any need to but I'm enjoying it and will be more than happy to spend some money in it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: I've spent some money in games like Genshin, Fortnite, Rocket League, Overwatch, etc. I like buying some loot boxes, skins, etc. I'm an adult and can do what I want with my money and I have control over it. It's gambling yeah but it's fun and I am responsible.

mobile/F2P games are huge and for a reason. they aren't going anywhere because there's $ to be made. if most people were so against them then they wouldn't exist. It's the same reason DLCs got so popular. People are happy to buy them.
I am talking about the title.
If that is fine for you then go for it, you do you.

I'm not familiar with mobile games, don't play 'em. Do any of these highly monetized games have an option to simply turn on/off any store/loot/etc options? I get that it defeats the purpose of the 'lure', but would that engender any goodwill and still allow for that model to stay afloat?
Won't be spending a cent on Diablo Immortal, still, really enjoying it for what it is.

Yes. With increasing the time you need to grind to get the stronger gear to further continue on in the “game”.

I have actually never played Path of Exile, despite hearing about it for… what? Over a decade at this point? Is it available on consoles and what is the monetization scheme like?
Yes it's on console.
It's playable for free but I think the extra stash tabs and especially the currency stash are must-haves.

MiguelItUp

I'm not familiar with mobile games, don't play 'em. Do any of these highly monetized games have an option to simply turn on/off any store/loot/etc options? I get that it defeats the purpose of the 'lure', but would that engender any goodwill and still allow for that model to stay afloat?
Won't be spending a cent on Diablo Immortal, still, really enjoying it for what it is.
Not at all, unfortunately. It's how they "get you" really. It's gross, and all you can really do is ignore them. I think the safest bet for any free to play mobile game you're ever curious about is going in expecting the absolute worst monetization so you're not disappointed, lol. Yeah, same. I was surprised it was as decent as it was. The monetization is just awful, but, again, it's not uncommon in that industry.

Last edited:

Yes it’s available on Xbox and PlayStation 4 and 5 it’s free it’s not pay to win.With controller it’s amazing and you can costomiz how you like on which buttons.I only bought stash tabs over the years a few for a few dollars.but you don’t really need them to enjoy the game.It’s amazing has incredible content especially later in the game everything opens up.You can play normal league where you can die infinity times or like me hardcore which means even if you played 500 hours when you die everything on your character is gone to normal league forever dead in hardcore mode.You should definitely try it it can be in the start overwhelming with the huge skilltree but there is the fun you can combine and make amazing things defensive attack everything

not if it's f2p
Path of Exile is free to play but it’s not like mobile games I played this game now for years 1000s of hours and only bought a few stashtabs you don’t need nothing.The content is amazing unbelievable and they keeps everything what came new over the years

Urban

The sad thing about the whole "debacle" is that if Blizzard would charge 39,99 for the full game without the mtx that it would still sell very good..
But they probably did the math and the "silent whales" which invest so much in those games are more worth than the bad publicity.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Path of Exile is free to play but it’s not like mobile games I played this game now for years 1000s of hours and only bought a few stashtabs you don’t need nothing.The content is amazing unbelievable and they keeps everything what came new over the years
nope f2p
and it's fucking dirty, yellow shit is still shit at the end of the day
if poe would have a 30 euro version.. that disabled all the fucking skins online i would actually play it

Last edited:
Not at all, unfortunately. It's how they "get you" really. It's gross, and all you can really do is ignore them. I think the safest bet for any free to play mobile game you're ever curious about is going in expecting the absolute worst monetization so you're not disappointed, lol. Yeah, same. I was surprised it was as decent as it was. The monetization is just awful, but, again, it's not uncommon in that industry.

Yeah fair enough. I realize how naïve it is to suggest companies might want to 'engender goodwill' when they can, you know, engender goddamn cash instead. I think ill continue to avoid mobile games. Playing this on PC. In any case, so, sooo many other options these days.

MiguelItUp

Yeah fair enough. I realize how naïve it is to suggest companies might want to 'engender goodwill' when they can, you know, engender goddamn cash instead. I think ill continue to avoid mobile games. Playing this on PC. In any case, so, sooo many other options these days.
It's not naïve at all man, it's just unfortunately not reality. Though we'd all like to assume they could and would approach things better, but they don't and won't. They just want everyone's attention and money. The worse part is that people ARE throwing tons of money at them, so those people are really just making it worse, lol.

Yeah, I typically don't touch mobile games with a ten foot pole. This was the first one in a long time that I was curious about. So I figured, hey, it's free, and there's a PC build. I'll check it out. Found it surprisingly decent for something to pop in and out of until newer and better games come out.

Yeah, deeeeefinitely much better options out there through and through.

whyman

So now threads based on total lies spread by other GAF members is a thing?

YOU CAN UPGRADE GEAR WITHOUT BUYING ANYTHING

Maybe you all should just play the game first?

MiguelItUp

The reason why they won't is because of people like you supporting this crap. If people would avoid these games, we would not be in this situation.
It's as easy as that.
I'm not "supporting" it, just like many others haven't and aren't here. It's the people pouring money into games like this that are genuinely supporting the poor practices of the monetization, not folks checking them out out of curiosity and not spending a dime. Which is me. Leave it alone already. You can boycott all you want, that's fine. But a few people on GAF checking it out casually and aren't spending a cent aren't going to affect the outcome of the F2P mobile gaming industry. Y'all are being way too dramatic, relax.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
for anyone who personally knows any of the whales who will come into contact with this borderline illegal shit, tell them to get help with their addiction and harass them relentlessly until they find a way to stop paying so much money for useless stuff like this

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Welcome to mobile everyone. This is how f2p games are on mobile since I can remember. Heavily predatory and monetized at every turn.

Why is this shocking people to the point of making videos? Did you expect something fair now all of a sudden?

MiguelItUp

Welcome to mobile everyone. This is how f2p games are on mobile since I can remember. Heavily predatory and monetized at every turn.

Why is this shocking people to the point of making videos? Did you expect something fair now all of a sudden?
Right? EXACTLY! I have no idea why people are acting like any of this is new, lol. This is all I've been trying to say. But be careful, folks are going to accuse you of dismissing and supporting these practices now! Lmao. 🤦‍♂️

More useless strawmanning.
Nobody is saying that this is new, people keep warning about the anti-consumer practices and asking others not to support crap like this anymore in order to enact much needed change.

I'm not "supporting" it, just like many others haven't and aren't here.

Yes you are by promoting the current state of affairs as an acceptable status quo.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yes you are by promoting the current state of affairs as an acceptable status quo.
I never said anything about their approach or monetization being acceptable, nor did I allude to it. But, hey alright man, whatever you say. The back and forth about it is beyond tiring at this point. So believe what you want. :messenger_peace:

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
More useless strawmanning.
Nobody is saying that this is new, people keep warning about the anti-consumer practices and asking others not to support crap like this anymore in order to enact much needed change.
Are you playing this game? Because I’m not for precisely the reasons you mentioned.

So what’s the problem? Or is this just a case of Internet forum activism at its finest?

The Hell sections of this game look really nice.... in a hellish kind of way of course.

It's a shame this wasn't a full-blown product for single player on PC on console.

I figured they could just make it a budget title for like $20. Would be nice.

I never said anything about their approach or monetization was acceptable, nor did I allude to it.

Well what is your frikkin' issue then?
Let people have their reasoned criticism instead of complaining about it. This crap needs to be called out every time it happens. Otherwise things will never change for the better.

You should be glad that others are taking the time to protect your consumer rights. An no, I don't think it is true at all that nothing can be done about it. I'd much prefer raising awareness and responsibilize consumers, but if that doesn't work, legislation needs to happen.

MiguelItUp

Let people have their reasoned criticism instead of complaining about it. This crap needs to be called out every time it happens. Otherwise things will never change for the better.

You should be glad that others are taking the time to protect your consumer rights. An no, I don't think it is true at all that nothing can be done about it. I'd much prefer raising awareness and responsibilize consumers, but if that doesn't work, legislation needs to happen.
I don't have an issue, honestly. I really don't care, lmao. What originally caught my eye was how you/y'all were originally going about it. The "forum protesting" was being laid on a bit too thick on everyone (here) that you considered a "target" and were, in my opinion, falsely targeting. Add the name calling, condescension, etc. to those that were just trying to cordially talk about the game, and I think a lot of people just got tired of it. I could've easily just muted and moved, but that ain't me.

I should be glad? Uh, alright? I don't think about it, because the people that I associate and care about in my day to day all think it's absolutely ridiculous. Just like they have for almost 10 years now, nothing about that industry has changed. Which is why so many here aren't "supporting" it or "dismissing" it when they say they're not surprised by it. It's just been the norm for so long now. As I said before, I don't think anyone (especially here/the majority) would think that standard F2P mobile gaming monetization practices are "good" or "okay" or "not a problem."

A lot of them just say that this is the "unfortunate standard" and has been for almost 10 years now. Again, not dismissing it, or supporting it, but just still being aware of it.

I didn't say "nothing can be done" period. I said...

"A few people on GAF checking it out casually and aren't spending a cent aren't going to affect the outcome of the F2P mobile gaming industry."

Because the few people here on GAF that play mobile games regularly and/or Diablo Immortal, are but a speck in a gigantic ocean of big spenders. They are also well aware of the issues at hand, as again, they've been an issue for almost 10 years. No one needs to be reminded of this, because they're well aware. Can things be done? Most definitely, but it's going to take a WHOLE lot more. What is that "more"? I have no idea, especially when that industry has been making billions for years now, and they're just making more, and faster. It's a problem, and it's not slowing down. That's it. There's nothing else to really say about it.

Diablo Immortal is a F2P mobile game with horrible monetization. Like, all F2P mobile games with monetization before it. It can be casually played for free, or you could spend a shit ton of money in it. You can play it if you're curious, or you don't, whether it be you don't care for mobile gaming, the practices of the shit monetization, or what. There's nothing else to really say about it, lmao. :pie_invert::messenger_peace:

Last edited:

MegaBustet

One of the reasons I haven't played this game despite liking Diablo quite a bit is that I know how weak I am when it comes to paying up in f2p games. I fall hook like and sinker for this sort of thing. If I can throw some money at getting rewards or an advantage I do it.

sainraja

Blizzards reputation was destroyed long ago. I dont think Blizzard really care anymore.
Yeah, there has definitely been a big change at Blizzard and they definitely aren't the same anymore. I still do like their IPs though so if they don't completely screw something up, I will likely continue playing/purchasing their stuff. I think I have almost all their games.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
Yeah, i've been a long time Blizzard fan since i was a kid, and it hasn't been pleasant watching them ever so slowly fall from grace to a point were they're now a joke compared to what the brand represented.

But, D2R is fantastic, it is an incredibly good package. I took a break and recently began playing again in ladder mode and i'm yet again hooked. It's a bottomless pit of addictive fun. I'm planning another 4 hour session as we speak, brewing some coffee.

I'm keeping my hopes up for D4 just because of how well they handled D2R.
What class did you play as? I tried necromancer and I had a hard time getting into it, but so far I like necro in Immortal.

whyman

Next time you try to force politics into a discussion, you will be removed.

Maybe use facts in the future if you want people to care. You have been spreading lies.

This is Era levels of mental illness

Yes it is like Diablo Immortal smoked out every crazy eyed leftist on GAF. Ofc anyone should be allowed here and I appreciate different opinions. (They don’t) Just fun to see!

Zug

Blizzard has been using scamy "addictive" game loops for years, starting with Wow and D3.
Diablo Immortal is just the culmination of all this.

There is no redeeming at this point.

Fuz

Banned
I'm not "supporting" it, just like many others haven't and aren't here. It's the people pouring money into games like this that are genuinely supporting the poor practices of the monetization,
Nope, you're guilty too. You support it by playing it.
Those pathetic whales don't play games without f2players.

We'll have more and more P2W, scummy, gambling machine games and that's thanks to people like you.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yes it is like Diablo Immortal smoked out every crazy eyed leftist on GAF. Ofc anyone should be allowed here and I appreciate different opinions. (They don’t) Just fun to see,

Ah yes of course the reasonable response to try and insert a political ideology based comment in an attempt to attack the user and not address the comment about a shit mobile game.

NVmPAW.gif

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
for anyone who personally knows any of the whales who will come into contact with this borderline illegal shit, tell them to get help with their addiction and harass them relentlessly until they find a way to stop paying so much money for useless stuff like this
Yeah.
When did we get to the point of normalizing this shit?
I'm an old player and I saw the dawn of P2W games. P2W and wallet warriors were HEAVILY shamed and bullied back then, they were pariahs. Useless, pathetic scrubs that can't play without having mommy pay for them to win.

We need to get back to this.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Yeah.
When did we get to the point of normalizing this shit?
I'm an old player and I saw the dawn of P2W games. P2W and wallet warriors were HEAVILY shamed and bullied back then, they were pariahs. Useless, pathetic scrubs that can't play without having mommy pay for them to win.

We need to get back to this.
This happened when the mommies themselves started to play. The hyper casuals who funded candy crush, farmville, coc etc.

Fuz

Banned
This happened when the mommies themselves started to play. The hyper casuals who funded candy crush, farmville, coc etc.
Right.
It's the same problem we have with the internet (and the whole computer, computer science and UI design, actually). It should have been an utopia, but it's gone because of computer illiterates that came "after" and discovered computers and internet because of facebook.
They gave them the tool before the education on the tool.

Last edited:

Goalus

Nope, you're guilty too. You support it by playing it.
Those pathetic whales don't play games without f2players.

We'll have more and more P2W, scummy, gambling machine games and that's thanks to people like you.
If I searched one of the Genshin Impact threads, would I find you in there accusing the players of the game in the same way?

Fuz

Banned
If I searched one of the Genshin Impact threads, would I find you in there accusing the players of the game in the same way?
Seriously?
I'm famous for lashing out against genshin gacha, business model and those stupid whales.
And this is much worse than genshin, it's not even the same sport.

Last edited:
Top Bottom