• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo Immortal is heavily pay to win. Don't login for a day you will lose items you paid for

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Isn't this a mobile game? Pretty much every free to play mobile game out there has a system like this.

Part of the reason apple arcade is interesting is that the games have no mtx - if it becomes successful it might turn the tides a little, at least when it comes to ios, and maybe google decides to launch a similar service.

No Lootboxes in your country?
Like at all?
Overwatch? COD? None of that?
Those games are all available here with lootboxes intact. Many other games with gacha mechanics are up and running too. I'm not entirely sure why this one is not available, but it's not the first time it has happened.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Was checking reviews on playstore on day one, since it was rated 4.7/5, exceptionally positive. Saw people saying it is not p2w at all, shop items are only cosmetics.

It would really disgust me if those reviews are paid shills.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So many idiots on here with the same old BUT YOUR NOT FORCED TO DO IT SO IGNORE IT LUL U DUMB ASSES argument.

Yeah wait until this shit ruins your favourite game series and we'll see if your so accepting of this shit then.

It's not even about being 'forced' or not. It's about designing games around Mirco transactions and ruining them in the process.

If you don't care about game design and the future of any IP I could see why you use that moronic argument though.

Even if you took out all microtransactions it would still be terrible. Focusing so much on the awful monetization that we forget the game itself is an embarrassing husk. It’s a game for people who don’t actually like playing games and instead use it to fill a void by watching pointless numbers on a screen increase. It’s addiction to distraction. There’s nothing here that requires thought. Everything is set up for you. It’s Diablo via conveyor belt.

The people on NEOGaf shilling for this game should be ashamed of themselves. I feel like people argue about a lot of things on this site but there’d be 100% agreement that this sort of garbage game should be shunned. Guess some people just like to play crap.

@Mods: My last comment was a bit overboard, I apologize.

It is just so frustrating seeing these predatory payment schemes being implemented into franchises that people hold dearly. Not only that, but because of the uncritical consumption of these products, we will inevitably see more and more of these microtransactions. Other platforms are already seeing a rise in f2p and p2w schemes and more will follow if consumers remain silent. Mobile games will slowly infect consoles and PC, considering how much money can be made by employing shady gambling tactics in order to hook players.

It is quite evident that monetization took precedent over gameplay, which only leads to worse games for everybody.

I already uninstalled it. Folks that are promoting this bullshit are the biggest detriment to this industry.

And its folks like you that give me hope for the future. Glad to see some semblance of sanity and working brain cells in this thread.

MiguelItUp

Is it possible to see the end credits or go through all of the story content without paying anything? If so, is it relatively easy to the point where the vast majority of players could finish the game without paying? Because if that's the case, after a certain point, I think a more accurate description would be "pay for power" rather than "pay to win." If the main difference is finishing a boss enemy in 30 seconds instead of 60, you're not paying to win, you're paying for character strength.

Of course, if PVP is involved, you're absolutely paying to win. And either way, PVP or not, I'd agree that these games are very predatory.
You can completely play through the campaign without spending a cent. I was planning on beating, if I even get to that point, and uninstalling it. Lol.

And its folks like you that give me hope for the future. Glad to see some semblance of sanity and working brain cells in this thread.
But really, there's no reason to shit on people that are curious about checking it out. Or casually playing it without paying a cent, lmao. 🙄

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You can completely play through the campaign without spending a cent. I was planning on beating, if I even get to that point, and uninstalling it. Lol.

But really, there's no reason to shit on people that are curious about checking it out. Or casually playing it without paying a cent, lmao. 🙄

As I stated to you before, if people want to check it out or play casually - that is perfectly fine. But when people defend and dismiss the pay to win design and predatory nature? That is an issue.

They aren’t mutually exclusive. You can enjoy the game/play casually while still agreeing that it has major issues in its design and that it is predatory and needs to be changed.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

As I stated to you before, if people want to check it out or play casually - that is perfectly fine. But when people defend and dismiss the pay to win design and predatory nature? That is an issue.
I don't think anyone here outright defended it, did they? At least from what I saw. Just that it's the unfortunate standard for F2P mobile gaming, and nothing can be done about it. At least from our perspective. I personally just ignore it, as much as it sucks. Because it's not going anywhere. When that monetization first began appearing everyone freaked out, including myself. But that didn't stop anything, it just got worse. It's apparent that the whales will still whale, and nothing will stop them. I mean, it's why Genshin Impact has made billions as fast as it did. 🤷🏻‍♂️ And that's just one game, there are several others like it.

Last edited:

Neolombax

They aren’t mutually exclusive. You can enjoy the game/play casually while still agreeing that it has major issues in its design and that it is predatory and needs to be changed.

I dont think anyone here is okay with pay to win mechanics in this game or if progession is heavily gated to encourage spending. Its not the first game to do this nor will it be the last, realistically talking. Its an extremely well made game thats free with pvp, its going to try to squeeze you dry, for sure. Its true for other games of similar nature.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't think anyone here outright defended it, did they? At least from what I saw. Just that it's the unfortunate standard for F2P mobile gaming, and nothing can be done about it. At least from our perspective. I personally just ignore it, as much as it sucks. Because it's not going anywhere. When that monetization first began appearing everyone freaked out, including myself. But that didn't stop anything, it just got worse. It's apparent that the whales will still whale, and nothing will stop them. I mean, it's why Genshin Impact has made billions as fast as it did. 🤷🏻‍♂️ And that's just one game, there are several others like it.

Mate, we have four pages of numerous folks defending the game and dismissing the problems the game has.

I dont think anyone here is okay with pay to win mechanics in this game or if progession is heavily gated to encourage spending. Its not the first game to do this nor will it be the last, realistically talking. Its an extremely well made game thats free with pvp, its going to try to squeeze you dry, for sure. Its true for other games of similar nature.

If they aren’t, then they are doing a very bad job showing it. There are too many posts here and in the other Diablo threads actively defending the game and dismissing any problems it has.

And as I stated before. Just because you find a game fun, doesn’t mean you can’t actively push for making it better. Even if there are other greedy games, doesn’t mean we should stand buy and let more games become insultingly greedy and pay to win like this.

MiguelItUp

Mate, we have four pages of numerous folks defending the game and dismissing the problems the game has.
As casual players that haven't spent a dime, or planned to. Yes. But I haven't seen anyone "supporting" the monetization or otherwise. Or proudly boasting that they've spent a ton of money, lol.

Like I said, I don't think anyone defended it at all. Nor would they. But people have played the game and thought it was fine. That's it. The only "dismissing" I've seen is in relation to, well, saying that it's been normal for a long time, and things aren't going to change. And they're not wrong. F2P mobile gaming monetization is a beast that isn't stopping anytime soon. It's unfortunate, but the truth.

I get that the average age on GAF is 67 years old and none of you have phones, but anyone who's ever played a phone game in their life knows that if you buy the $5 thing which gives you daily currency for 30 days, you have to log in every day to claim it or it's lost. That's why the $5 thing is such a good deal, relatively speaking, compared to directly paying for currency. What you are paying with is your daily engagement, they want you to log in every day and play so it becomes a daily habit.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Diablo Immortal allows players to buy "Boon Of Plenty" for £8:99 where players will receive login rewards for 30 days. However, if you fail to login each day you will lose the rewards for that day. So you must log in every day.

Are we pretending Diablo Immortal invented battle passes now?

It's a freaking free to play mobile game! That is how mobile f2p games work. It is a rather good mobile game. All the IAPs are optional. There's Diablo 3 for people having issues with this f2p game.
Imagine eating shit for food and being satisfied with it. It is the free-to-play model nowadays because we let things get to this point and even beyond by too being complacent. This shouldn't be okay.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

I get that the average age on GAF is 67 years old and none of you have phones, but anyone who's ever played a phone game in their life knows that if you buy the $5 thing which gives you daily currency for 30 days, you have to log in every day to claim it or it's lost. That's why the $5 thing is such a good deal, relatively speaking, compared to directly paying for currency. What you are paying with is your daily engagement, they want you to log in every day and play so it becomes a daily habit.
The empowered battle pass is 5 dollars. The boon they are talking about here is 9 or 10 dollars, and you can stack it I think.

But yeah most casual players should be fine with just the 5 dollar pass. The boon is too expensive for me, on a regular basis. Maybe once a year, to hoard up on some stuff.

Together the premium battle pass + the boon = around the same price as a WoW sub 🤷‍♂️ Maybe something to consider. Other services have devalued the WoW sub imo, but I paid that sub for 6 years and didnt complain.

So paying 5 dollars a month for the time that Im playing doesnt seem like such an outrageous thing to do.

You know what’s ever crazier? There are people on here shitting on this game that are more than happy to pay $70 for games with MTX in them or on disc content masquerading as “dlc”. The irony right? hey, quick poll…how many of you played a game today that you *paid* for that has MTX or day 1 DLC in it ;)

everyone knows F2P games are generally skinner boxes and people go into them with open eyes. Just remember that those of you bagging on an f2p game (that you literally don’t have to spend a dime on) while eating up DLC and MTX in your fully priced AAA games are the real suckers…and you don’t even know it 👌

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You know what’s ever crazier? There are people on here shitting on this game that are more than happy to pay $70 for games with MTX in them or on disc content masquerading as “dlc”. The irony right? hey, quick poll…how many of you played a game today that you *paid* for that has MTX or day 1 DLC in it ;)

everyone knows F2P games are generally skinner boxes and people go into them with open eyes. Just remember that those of you bagging on an f2p game (that you literally don’t have to spend a dime on) while eating up DLC and MTX in your fully priced AAA games are the real suckers…and you don’t even know it 👌

I think what is truly crazy is your terrible attempt at strawman arguments and ignorance on the subject.

But I will humor you and assume that you truly are just completely lost and not at all a troll. The issue has never been that there is MTX. The issue is the predatory nature of MTX being used for this specific title, how it affects the systems in the game, and the nature of pay to win design.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Its not really pay to win, thats a clichéd term that doesnt really fit. Its more like pay to accelerate; a faster lane to the same end goal.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Don't you guys have money? Don't you guys have bank accounts? Crypto? Don't you guys have brains to make the money to pay us for our shitty fucking cashgrab game!?

I'm spent.
I'm not sure if you're being serious or not.

I think what is truly crazy is your terrible attempt at strawman arguments and ignorance on the subject.

But I will humor you and assume that you truly are just completely lost and not at all a troll. The issue has never been that there is MTX. The issue is the predatory nature of MTX being used for this specific title, how it affects the systems in the game, and the nature of pay to win design.
I too will assume you are not being willfully ignorant and/or trolling—are you suggesting that MtX in fully priced games are not being used in predatory fashion or that the AAA games economy is not structured such that players are pushed towards buying said MtX in AAA games? You’re telling me you’ve never supported, with your money, any game company that has used MtX, loot boxes, dlc up until this point? Or are you going to tell me it’s only this games MtX that have been used in a predatory fashion and none of the game companies you support have ever engaged in such practices? I’m smelling a hypocrite, but would like to give you a fair chance at responding. I don’t care what you play, but at least be consistent in your actions.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not.

I'm not.
I'll tell you what else I'm not. I'm not buying any more games from this company. Fuck D2 Remaster and fuck everything coming out of this company going forward.
Saving me money in the long run for other things. This company has so much wrong with it, I don't think Microsoft will even right this ship, but.. I'd love to be wrong there...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not.
I'll tell you what else I'm not. I'm not buying any more games from this company. Fuck D2 Remaster and fuck everything coming out of this company going forward.
Saving me money in the long run for other things. This company has so much wrong with it, I don't think Microsoft will even right this ship, but.. I'd love to be wrong there...
Diablo mobile looks like a money sapping POS.

But D2 Ressurected is pretty good.

Diablo mobile looks like a money sapping POS.

But D2 Ressurected is pretty good.

D2R is not bad, but it had so many problems when I was playing it.. I got to Hell Diff and couldn't be bothered to continue. It saps you dry when you know you cannot even compete with the no lifes, seeing as I cannot do the same. Sigh... I cannot be jealous, though. I had a time where I could do the same, but.. I grew out of my bullshit and.. here I am.. complaining about not being able to no life it. I've come full circle, in some ways. :messenger_grinning_sweat: ...... :messenger_sad_relieved: ..... :messenger_loudly_crying:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I too will assume you are not being willfully ignorant and/or trolling—are you suggesting that MtX in fully priced games are not being used in predatory fashion or that the AAA games economy is not structured such that players are pushed towards buying said MtX in AAA games? You’re telling me you’ve never supported, with your money, any game company that has used MtX, loot boxes, dlc up until this point? Or are you going to tell me it’s only this games MtX that have been used in a predatory fashion and none of the game companies you support have ever engaged in such practices? I’m smelling a hypocrite, but would like to give you a fair chance at responding. I don’t care what you play, but at least be consistent in your actions.
And now you are moving goalposts And creating strawman arguments. There is no point in trying to discuss with a blatant troll. And before you try to do a ”gotcha”, go read what I have posted elsewhere and in this very thread. It already answered every question you posed to me.

Its not really pay to win, thats a clichéd term that doesnt really fit. Its more like pay to accelerate; a faster lane to the same end goal.
Can you spend money to be objectively better than everyone else? Yes. Can your paid account beat others in PvP with ease disregarding skill entirely? Yes. Will a player who continuously pays, even small amounts, be objectively better than a free to play player if both play the same amount, or if the free to play player plays a bit more than the paid player? *Yes*. There are numerous videos in this thread that prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that this is a pay to win title. Whether or not this is an issue for *you* is subjective. However, it can’t be denied that it *is* factually and objectively pay to win.

And now you are moving goalposts And creating strawman arguments. There is no point in trying to discuss with a blatant troll. And before you try to do a ”gotcha”, go read what I have posted elsewhere and in this very thread. It already answered every question you posed to me.
Your argument here, based on your comments, seems to be that anyone supporting this game is making the industry worse as it normalizes this trend of, and I’m being generous to you here, *predatory* MtX. So, no strawman or moved goal posts here—are you making the industry worse and allowing them to normalize these practices by buying games or supporting companies utilizing these same methods?

Last edited by a moderator:

RhyDin

It's a freaking free to play mobile game! That is how mobile f2p games work. It is a rather good mobile game. All the IAPs are optional. There's Diablo 3 for people having issues with this f2p game.
Yes, but don't forget that Diablo III shot itself in the foot with the real money auction house on launch, which was later scrubbed.

None of this makes me excited for Diablo IV -- moreso uninterested or at the least timid to bother with it.

Larxia

Isn't the "log in daily to get your rewards" thing common? Even for paid subscription? I'm pretty sure Genshin Impact does that too, you can subscribe to get 90 daily primogem, but I'm not sure you get them if you don't log in. Not that it excuses anything, I think it's awful in all games, I just think it's not specific to Diablo Immortal.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Mobile games are mostly cancer.
Final Fantasy Tactics is good though and stuff like Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights and Planescape Torment are surprisingly playable on touchscreen.
Stuff like Samorost is also good.

Inviusx

Without having played it I'm also going to assume it follows the standard practice or making you feel really powerful at the start and slowly making you feel weaker and weaker as the levels go up, essentially forcing your hand.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
All the best games are pay to win.

I think Miyamoto once said, “A delayed game is eventually good, but nowhere near as good as a pay-to-win game.”

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Too lazy to google it but there’s got to be a study or research report that shows for the average mobile f2p game how the revenue is spread out among users. Like 70% are $0, 29% are 50% of sales and the last 1% whales are 50% of sales.

As shitty as some of these games seems at least there is a possibility the vast majority of gamers got their thrills and paid $0.

Last edited:
Too lazy to google it but there’s got to be a study or research report that shows for the average mobile f2p game how the revenue is spread out among users. Like 70% are $0, 29% are 50% of sales and the last 1% whales are 50% of sales.

As shitty as some of these games seems at least there is a possibility the vast majority of gamers got their thrills and paid $0.
It's actually more skewed than that. 1% of players is typically 80-90% of all revenue. Everyone else either pays small dollar amounts or plays for free.

A tiny percentage of whales literally pay for everyone else. And the vast majority of players who spend money only spend a little bit.

This is why these kinds of games seem to have such terrible value proposition, because realistically only the whales are going be paying anyways so who gives a shit what everyone else thinks about the cost of things you buy. 100% of the people who bitch about how much stuff costs in these games will never pay a dime so their opinions literally do not matter.

F2P LIVES DON'T MATTER

Last edited:
The empowered battle pass is 5 dollars. The boon they are talking about here is 9 or 10 dollars, and you can stack it I think.

But yeah most casual players should be fine with just the 5 dollar pass. The boon is too expensive for me, on a regular basis. Maybe once a year, to hoard up on some stuff.

Together the premium battle pass + the boon = around the same price as a WoW sub 🤷‍♂️ Maybe something to consider. Other services have devalued the WoW sub imo, but I paid that sub for 6 years and didnt complain.

So paying 5 dollars a month for the time that Im playing doesnt seem like such an outrageous thing to do.
Yeah, I typically pay for the $5 thing in Genshin Impact. The first year of that game, I actually did buy out the currency packs once for the one-time bonus, but now I typically just coast on the $5 thing as that gets me enough currency for when I occasionally want to pull for a unit I like.

Top Bottom