• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo Immortal |OT| Do You Guys Not Have Phones?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
ATZjGC3.png

8pbh7Dn.png

Android

iOS

PC

fBNjBNg.png

lKcNNhQ.png

kRVar9E.png

Barbarian
A savage wanderer. Survivors of the disaster that struck Mount Arreat, Barbarians use brutal attacks to crush any opposition.
LO6MpmH.png

Crusader
A wrathful zealot. Armed with their faith, Crusaders vanquish evil wherever they go. Dominating the battlefield through sheer purpose.
fEKZx0v.png

Demon Hunter
A vengeful stalker. Relentless vigilantes that assault from afar, Demon Hunter strike undeterred until their prey is at their mercy.

LV3HhZo.png

Monk
A master of martial arts, Lightning-fast strikes that pummel enemies with a dizzying array of blows and mobility are the Monk's specialty.

nwLee6u.png

Necromancer
A manipulator of life and death. The priests of Rathma use their power over life and death to preserve balance in Sanctuary.

w2a56sS.png

Wizard
A living conduit of arcane power. Wizards manipulate arcane forces to strike from a distance, disintegrating their enemies to oblivion.

iDD1Fbe.png

Gold drops from enemies, chests, and other loot-ables in the world of Sanctuary. It cannot be purchased or traded and must be earned through gameplay. Gold can be used for things like upgrading your items and purchasing randomized gear from NPC vendors.

Platinum can be earned through daily gameplay activities or purchased with real money. Players can also obtain Platinum by selling items via the Market. Platinum is used for activities such as exchanging goods on the Market or crafting Charms.

Eternal Orbs are acquired with real money only, and can be used for purchasing Platinum, as well as other items such as the Battle Pass, Specialized Reforged Stones, Crests, and cosmetics.

I have a theory: Blizzard wrote the main cutscenes (big bad demon says YOU'LL NEVER STOP ME), Chinese dev wrote everything else (mildly interesting, the voice actors actually seem to give a shit).
This is the first almost engaging, I-might-actually-read-the-subtitles-before-skipping Blizzard game since Starcraft 2 turned out to be dogshit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

This dude is a huge blizz fan. And i think his reaction is pretty telling.

Also this is fucking disgusting and the reason i will never ever play free to play games.

Last edited:

whyman

About 8 hours in. Having tons of fun, for sure the best mobile game I have ever played. There is a lot of micro-transactions but there is no need to buy anything unless you want to be at the top of the leaderboard, max out all gear, care about pvp or cosmetics. If you do care about those things and lack self control, don’t play the game you will have to spend too much money for it to be ok.

Highly recommend to try it at least if you have self control, the fun outweighs clicking close on a few pop ups that want you to buy stuff.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I had fun playing this game with my gf yesterday. We only stopped because she eventually had to download a level a couple hours in.

Played for an hour on my iPad and it's absolute dogshit.

You want an extremtly linear Diablo with pointless loot that practically plays itself? Oh you also want to be bombarded with bullshit games-as-a-service checklists (be sure to log in every day to get your worthless junk!) and pay-to-win "best deal" marketing?

You're actually deranged if you're hyping this game.

The controller (Series X) doesn't work well in menu. End up having to use touch screen in menu.
I thought Blizzard had this sorted out when D3 was released on consoles. Guess they forgot how to controller.

I was going to give Strange Headache a hard time but it's true that kids should not be anywhere near this game as the money stuff is in your face constantly. I've tried my best to teach my kids about this but I have to watch them all the time or else they would go nuts buying things.

Plantoid

I liked the game, considering it's a mobile game it's the best fucking game I have ever played, but, with that said, monetization is predatory and I don't see a reason to keep playing after i finish the history

I liked the game, considering it's a mobile game it's the best fucking game I have ever played, but, with that said, monetization is predatory and I don't see a reason to keep playing after i finish the history
I plan to play a few rounds of the story and uninstall it myself.
It's a shame that Free to play is the only way money can be made on mobile.
Apple is doing what it can with Apple Arcade but they themselves and android have already shit the bed with their stores. mobile app stores have been fully ruined, to the point of nothing can fix them.

I

Jennings

My phone and tablets don't run it but I tried it on PC. I'm a bit spoiled in that I'm accustomed to spending $20~60 on PC ARPGs like Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, Diablo 1, 2, 3 etc and owning the entire experience without being expected to spend more until full on expansion packs are released some years down the road, so this game doesn't work for me in that regard. But I'm glad the game exists for those with hundreds or thousands of dollars to burn and who enjoy this sort of monetization scheme. We're all still gamers at heart, no matter if you're paying cash for top end loot or just farming it like people did way back in the olden days.

So while I'm giving this game a pass because of how little I care for it, I'm sure it will be a massive hit amongst its target audience.

Nydius

Curiosity got the better of me and I downloaded this on my 4 year old iPad 6th Gen just to see if it actually "Works on this iPad" like the store page claimed. Surprisingly, it runs pretty damn good, albeit capped at 30 fps and I can only go up to the high graphical preset. But even on high it isn't as much of a battery drain as I expected it would be.

I'm reminded how much I absolutely fucking loathe touch screen controls for games like these though. Picked a wizard, as per my usual, and immediately two of my skills require tap-and-drag aiming that absolutely sucks ass. It's playable but annoying as hell -- and damn uncomfortable on a larger device like an iPad. Propped up my iPad with the case, linked up my old DualShock 4, and the game was much more enjoyable.

Even though the gameplay has been pretty solid and one of the better mobile games I've played in a while it can't make up for the fact that the game is even more dumbed down than Diablo 3. At least D3 gave the pretense of managing resources. Playing a Wizard that doesn't have to manage arcane power is completely foreign to me. Outside of cooldown timers, skills can just be spammed all over the place. Nothing about the story has hooked me thus far, and I'm struggling to wonder why I'd want to play this over, say, my Switch version of Diablo 3, which is equally as portable and isn't loaded down with shitty microtransactions.

I'll probably leave it installed as something to play for a few minutes when I'm bored as hell -- like waiting in the doctor's office or something -- but it's not something I can see myself playing for any length of time. And I certainly am not wasting a cent on the damn thing.

Last edited:

whyman

I have been trying most of the night to get this to run on Steam Deck without Lutris. So far no luck. Has anyone figured it out?

Lutris won’t recognise the controller, also performance. That’s why I want to run it without it.

Any person that has ever tried an online mobile game for the past 6 years should have known what this was going to become. Free to play + Netease ahem... I've played a couple hours and, it's as expected. Hope they improve the performance soon because damn

Elitro

Was curious to give it a try but the game always crashes on boot (i have a standard iphone 11). Tried to uninstall and reinstall, got up to character creation and turned it off because the models were not loading (was doing asset dl in the background). And now once again the game crashes on boot... Will wait on a patch :/

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Thanks for the OT jshackles jshackles , great job and we appreciate your time/effort.

Love it so far. The touch control movement (on mobile) is one of the best implementations I have ever used.

I think they nailed ramp up/down on the movement, and it works great across every mobile device I have used 4 iOS devices and 5 android ones all ranging in dpi/screen size. Impressive!

The multiplayer is well done as well. It’s easy to get a party together and start doing loot runs.

The MTX implementation is also fine imo. It’s there if you want to engage with it or you can ignore it completely if you don’t.

Polish is very impressive as well. Yes there are reused assets, blurry textures, odd enemy animations but there is also high quality voice acting, great music, and visually impressive effects (abilities/skills/etc).

If you are a Diablo fan (esp a d3 fan) I think you will enjoy your time with the game and considering you can play it for free…..stay a while and listen!

Filben

Game looks decent on the phone and like shit on PC. Would probably play on the Steam Deck but I can't get it run for now.

Wonder when the paywall hits and how many obscure in-game currency there is.

I haven’t played since Diablo 2 but I’m enjoying this. Unless there’s a giant gap between what casuals and whales can achieve I can see myself sticking to it for a while.

Filben

I have been trying most of the night to get this to run on Steam Deck without Lutris. So far no luck. Has anyone figured it out?
I am too tyring to figure that out. Still no luck. There seems some post on it in r/steamdeck but so far it's not good and convenient. But it's probably a good place to check out any progress in more days to come.

FrankieSab

The controller (Series X) doesn't work well in menu. End up having to use touch screen in menu.
I thought Blizzard had this sorted out when D3 was released on consoles. Guess they forgot how to controller.

I was going to give Strange Headache a hard time but it's true that kids should not be anywhere near this game as the money stuff is in your face constantly. I've tried my best to teach my kids about this but I have to watch them all the time or else they would go nuts buying things.
I had trouble adjusting to controller controls, button b working as a OK trigger, odd to say the least. It works everywhere without touching but not ideal, you have to use it as a mouse cursor on certain part of the interface. I tried the first part, tried to mirror it to my TV, was an awful experience, will wait for a console port.

Tomb of Fahir is easily the most spectacular Diablo has ever been. These awesome animations, multistage battles and level transitions were promised in the 2008 Diablo 3 reveal and cut from the final game and expansion.
It's so strange having it look exactly like Diablo 3 but on a clearly more flexible engine.

whyman

I am too tyring to figure that out. Still no luck. There seems some post on it in r/steamdeck but so far it's not good and convenient. But it's probably a good place to check out any progress in more days to come.
Yea I was looking there but I don’t want to start renaming files etc. Like you say better to wait for a better solution.

HTK

Banned
I played little bit on mobile and then downloaded it on PC, however it's not detecting my cross-progression. But if this game is/will turn into Pay to Win maybe I should uninstall it right now so I don't waste my time.

manfestival

I played little bit on mobile and then downloaded it on PC, however it's not detecting my cross-progression. But if this game is/will turn into Pay to Win maybe I should uninstall it right now so I don't waste my time.
Explain what you mean that it is not detecting your cross progression. I play on both platforms and everything is just fine for me and seemingly for everyone else.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah, the kneejerk "Oh my god there's monetization in a free-to-play game. . ." hand-wringing is getting boring at this point. It is free-to-play. It was always, inevitably, going to have "boosters" of some sort, even if those boosters take the "long route" in terms of giving someone a competitive advantage. This isn't LOST ARK though where you are literally time-gated per week/day on how much you can progress without spending some cashish.

. . .right now the game does exactly what it is meant to do: quick on the go Diablo loot-runs for mobile users (and a new Diablo experience for fans).

Shame about the UI/UX experience though (on PC at least).

I had trouble adjusting to controller controls, button b working as a OK trigger, odd to say the least. It works everywhere without touching but not ideal, you have to use it as a mouse cursor on certain part of the interface. I tried the first part, tried to mirror it to my TV, was an awful experience, will wait for a console port.
I'm not a fan of draggy cursors on consoles. It just so yuck. Just let me use the d pad to navigate and buttons to select. RB LB to change menues or sub menues. It's been done before it can be done again. Fast and easy.
But then I see draggy cursors on things like Destiny and I wonder what the hell they are thinking.
It just irks me.

HTK

Banned
Explain what you mean that it is not detecting your cross progression. I play on both platforms and everything is just fine for me and seemingly for everyone else.

So when I get on the PC version of the game, it says "Connecting to Battlenet" and then that text disappears with no notification that I'm logged in. So when I click to play the game it wants me to create a new character. It just seems like a loop it never logs me in or gives me an option to trigger that event again without restarting the game. I played the game first on mobile but I logged into my battlenet there and created my character so you would think this should just work as it's the same battle id...

manfestival

So when I get on the PC version of the game, it says "Connecting to Battlenet" and then that text disappears with no notification that I'm logged in. So when I click to play the game it wants me to create a new character. It just seems like a loop it never logs me in or gives me an option to trigger that event again without restarting the game. I played the game first on mobile but I logged into my battlenet there and created my character so you would think this should just work as it's the same battle id...
The game has an oversight or bug where your default server is not immediately brought up when going between accounts initially. Just make sure you are on the same server on PC as the one you made your character on and everything should be fine.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Probably not this but when you launch Battlenet are you logged in. More, did you progress your character on the mobile client to where you were seeing "SAVED" on the quest log?

. . .if neither applies, could just be first day glut?

Nydius

Yeah, the kneejerk "Oh my god there's monetization in a free-to-play game. . ." hand-wringing is getting boring at this point.
There's "monetization" and then there's Holy Shit look at all the fucking prompts the game is shoving in your face to try to get you to spend money on this thing!. Diablo Immortal is the latter. It has some of the best gameplay of any mobile game but it has the absolute worst level of shitty microtransactions. And those transactions are literally pay to win. You can pay to have significant advantages in both PVE and PVP. One of the linked videos above shows just how wide the gulf is between whales who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on the game and average chumps who spend nothing or only a few bucks here and there.

But sure, it's "boring" to point out how predatory and scummy that shit is.
Just because pay to win shit schemes have become normalized in your brain doesn't mean they are for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom