• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo Immortal |OT| Do You Guys Not Have Phones?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Honest question, but would anyone have bought this game on mobile or PC if it was full price ($70) - assuming it was "content complete" like Diablo 3? I doubt it, outside of a few hardcore fans. Since it's kinda like an MMO - would anyone have bought the game for $40 and paid a $15 monthly subscription, ala World of Warcraft? No?

Wildly dishonest take. The game, including everything that was in it, was never designed to be a "70 dollar game. . ." If it were it would look much different than what we have and almost surely wouldn't be free to play. The game and gameplay is exactly what you would and should be expecting in a free to play game. Same with the MMO nonsense. This game exists to do one thing: get you to log in, enjoy big damage numbers going off as you play - hopefully - enjoyable bite-sized content and, hey, maybe if you're feeling a little generous, send a few dollars Blizzards way. . .but only if you're being generous!

That's it. Expecting it to have the same depth and complexity of experience of a full priced game or an MMO is just. . .yeah.

I'm merely saying the truth. The monetization sucks, the game doesn't respect you nor your time and you are supporting this crap by playing it.
You know it to be true, otherwise you wouldn't be so goddamn defensive about it.

Go fucking kick rocks. You've done nothing but shit on people for - shock - enjoying the game (without spending a dime, which you seem unable to grasp), and are now pulling the "Why you so mad!" card.

Tygeezy

This game is fine if you approach it casually and don’t have delusions of being a pvp god or topping the leaderboards.

The battle pass and cosmetics being locked to characters and servers is crap. Not being able to freely move between servers is crap. Having to spend money to be a high end player is definitely crap.

If you just want to experience all the content it appears you can do that free.

That’s my intellectually honest take on this game that doesn’t personally attack people that disagree.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

They still haven't fixed the bug on my account. Anyone else who has a Pixel 6 able to log into their account and play on their phone?

Go fucking kick rocks. You've done nothing but shit on people for - shock - enjoying the game (without spending a dime, which you seem unable to grasp), and are now pulling the "Why you so mad!" card.

DrByMOvXcAMP727.jpg

drotahorror

So monetization be damned, but the game is pretty fun. I'm level 42 and it's pretty decent.

I'm definitely a hypocrite but I needed something to play.

Last edited:

Darchaos

So this is truly the future of gaming? P2w, mtx hell we even have: pay 22 dollars to do a rift in this one? And people blindly plays and supports this and ofcourse developers sees that and inplements it in even more games. Thats just.....awsome. can just hope that more countrys like Belgium banns games like this.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I need to actually watch the full video..

He's playing as a Crusader, using an ability that greatly increases your block chance, and fighting an you face within the first hour on Normal difficulty in its first phase where you don't have to do much but hit the thing. It is a dishonest video by a dishonest poster who is literally just searching for anything that aligns with their - by now - tired argument; fool literally posted up a one-hour video with a clickbait title of Asmongold - a wealthy streamer - hitting a "paywall" because he bought a bunch of shit in the Shop to "overlevel" his level 20 something character in singleplayer content, unable to see the sarcasm and only seeing a headline that "proves" their point.

. . .so no, you don't need to watch the full video.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
He's playing as a Crusader, using an ability that greatly increases your block chance, and fighting an you face within the first hour on Normal difficulty in its first phase where you don't have to do much but hit the thing. It is a dishonest video by a dishonest poster who is literally just searching for anything that aligns with their - by now - tired argument; fool literally posted up a one-hour video with a clickbait title of Asmongold - a wealthy streamer - hitting a "paywall" because he bought a bunch of shit in the Shop to "overlevel" his level 20 something character in singleplayer content, unable to see the sarcasm and only seeing a headline that "proves" their point.

. . .so no, you don't need to watch the full video.

Mate, there is literal graphs of data that showcase the game is a pay to win, predatory mobile game. Asmongold is literally playing it right now and is blatantly showing how pay to win it really is.

I get you have sunk cost fallacy already, but take the L.

MiguelItUp

So monetization be damned, but the game is pretty fun. I'm level 42 and it's pretty decent.

I'm definitely a hypocrite but I needed something to play.
Right? I'm by no means a gigantic fan or anything, I mean, I wouldn't take a bullet for it at all, lol. I'm just surprised it's as decent as it is. Monetized poorly? Sure. But F2P mobile gaming has been doing that for several years now, if you're shocked by this you're living under a rock. You can play it without spending a penny, lol. As something that you pick up periodically on the toilet, in a waiting room, etc. It serves its purpose pretty well!

Tygeezy

Mate, there is literal graphs of data that showcase the game is a pay to win, predatory mobile game. Asmongold is literally playing it right now and is blatantly showing how pay to win it really is.

It is pay to win. To be good at pvp and to top the leaderboards you will have to shell out money. That doesn’t mean people can’t enjoy it casually and still get through all of the content.

There is fair criticism for this game but he is both being dishonest and insulting people repeatedly in this thread over and over and then claiming he’s just here to discuss games.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I get it. You couldn't go through the whopping THREE pages to see that everyone who is enjoying the game has done so (a) without spending money and (3) acknowledging that the game has boosters (because of course it does). No, why engage with a thread in good faith with you can drive-by shitpost? Keep on shining you crazy diamond!

MiguelItUp

I get it. You couldn't go through the whopping THREE pages to see that everyone who is enjoying the game has done so (a) without spending money and (3) acknowledging that the game has boosters (because of course it does). No, why engage with a thread in good faith with you can drive-by shitpost? Keep on shining you crazy diamond!
Just had to go to the other thread to bloat it up too apparently. Jesus Christ, lmao.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I feel like a lot of ppl shitting on this solely bc it is f2p...?
you guys not heard of dota? as far as I'm concerned still the pinnacle of online gaming and top of the food chain in terms in quality

that being said, this is ActivisionBlizz and most are right; they will actively milk all the blizzard IPs shamelessly until there is nothing left.

Last edited:

very nice breakdown of the predatory monetization, which is absolutely disgusting

but pls, keep defending this garbage because "you are having fun and it doesn't affect you."

While it's true this type of monetization isn't new, but the way it's presented so in you face way it's just scary. They don't even bother to hide it anymore.

bbeach123

Rofl, watch the first 20 seconds of this video. The game literally plays itself:

Can't make this sh*t up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

My friend actually didnt play this game just because it didnt have auto (yes this is clearly not enough) . Most mobile game have auto because their target audience is gamer (or people used to be gamer) dont have time but still want to play game somehow .

So literally most mobile mmo nowaday the game actually playing itself . Path finding , questing , fighting monster , all auto .

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

very nice breakdown of the predatory monetization, which is absolutely disgusting

but pls, keep defending this garbage because "you are having fun and it doesn't affect you."

While it's true this type of monetization isn't new, but the way it's presented so in you face way it's just scary. They don't even bother to hide it anymore.

Yep. But the same shills will defend this crap saying it isn’t an issue when it *blatantly* is. This is at the very core of the game and can’t be ignored in good conscience. This is *literally* destroying games and making things worse. We could have had a smaller in scope, but fun Diablo game on the go. Instead we get a predatory, insulting mess. A grindy, pay to win Chinese Scam that was sanctioned by Blizzard. It really shows how far both the industry and what used to be one of the giants within it have fallen.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
you guys not heard of dota? as far as I'm concerned still the pinnacle of online gaming and top of the food chain in terms in quality

that being said, this is ActivisionBlizz and most are right; they will actively milk all the blizzard IPs shamelessly until there is nothing left.

People are shitting on it because it is pay to win, not because it is free to play. There are plenty of *amazing* free to play games with MTX that don’t ruin the overall experience by pushing pay to win mechanics. And many of us *adore* Diablo and despise what this has become. I have three Blizzard Tattoos. I played WoW for 16 years, helped run StarCraft Tournaments for over a decade in my area, played thousands upon thousands of hours of Diablo and Diablo II and grew up with WarCraft, Lost Vikings, and BlackThorne.

I used to love Blizzard to an obscene degree and I want to see them do better. I want them to *be* better. We won’t see them grow or become what they could be, what they once were if we accept dreck like this. This isn’t coming from “lol bitter haters“. Its coming from life long fans who don’t want to see amazing franchises that defined genres and the industry at large ruined by greed.

MiguelItUp

Nah, I feel it's primarily because there's a ton of negative press (a lot from hardcore Blizz fans/influencers, etc.) about the monetization, and well, rightfully so. While the game CAN still be casually played and enjoyed for free. Am I defending the game? Hell no. I was just surprised that the game is as decent as it is considering F2P mobile games are known to be absolutely predatory, and this game is no different. But it's a decent game to check out casually IMO, especially if you dig Diablo. That's really it. Do you NEED to play it? Nah, not at all. But if you're no whale and wouldn't mind dabbling into a F2P mobile game that's "new" until Diablo IV comes out, then it's worth checking out yourself. Like I've said before, in waiting rooms, in the bathroom, etc. It IS a mobile game, it was never meant to be anything more than that. But as a F2P mobile game, there are whales out there that have absolutely no problem dumping thousands of dollars into it. It's insane. But there are plenty of Gacha and other mobile games out there that have made absolute killings.

I can't help but feel like folks have either been living under a rock, or they somehow expected Diablo Immortal to do something different. Maybe cause they were/are huge Blizz/Diablo fans? I dunno. But I personally felt like the writing was on the wall when they announced it was coming, F2P monetization hasn't suddenly changed, it's been this way for a long time. Well, and as long as people pour money into the games, it's not changing anytime soon.

People are shitting on it because it is pay to win, not because it is free to play. There are plenty of *amazing* free to play games with MTX that don’t ruin the overall experience by pushing pay to win mechanics. And many of us *adore* Diablo and despise what this has become. I have three Blizzard Tattoos. I played WoW for 16 years, helped run StarCraft Tournaments for over a decade in my area, played thousands upon thousands of hours of Diablo and Diablo II and grew up with WarCraft, Lost Vikings, and BlackThorne.

I used to love Blizzard to an obscene degree and I want to see them do better.
I want them to *be* better. We won’t see them grow or become what they could be, what they once were if we accept dreck like this. This isn’t coming from “lol bitter haters“. Its coming from life long fans who don’t want to see amazing franchises that defined genres and the industry at large ruined by greed.
This explains a lot, and it's what I figured. I totally get it. I'm still holding onto the inkling that Diablo IV will be decent, or (preferably) even more than that. Though I think being cautious is the best path. I grew up loving Blackthorne, dabbling in Tides of Darkness, and in WoW at launch. But I think it's abundantly clear that the Blizzard you once loved is long, long, long gone. As soon as Activision merged with them, things began shifting rather quickly. From then to now so much negative press came to light, and so many OG vets abandoned ship. Maybe they can be rebuilt and become something pretty solid someday? Who knows? Maybe. But they've been in an extremely rough position for awhile now, as we've all seen. In many ways.

I can guarantee that Arclight Rumble is going to be just as bad if not worse. I generally don't touch mobile gaming with a ten foot pole, Diablo Immortal was the first time in a LONG time where I was curious, because, well, it's Diablo. That's it.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

It looks like the empowered battle pass will be enough for me to provide crests and upgrade materials, as far as I can see.

I will give it a shot for a month and see how it works out.

The game drains a lot of battery though, a lot more than hearthstone and cloud gaming. Ive had to charge the phone back up twice in a day when playing this.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nah, I feel it's primarily because there's a ton of negative press (a lot from hardcore Blizz fans/influencers, etc.) about the monetization, and well, rightfully so. While the game CAN still be casually played and enjoyed for free. Am I defending the game? Hell no. I was just surprised that the game is as decent as it is considering F2P mobile games are known to be absolutely predatory, and this game is no different. But it's a decent game to check out casually IMO, especially if you dig Diablo. That's really it. Do you NEED to play it? Nah, not at all. But if you're no whale and wouldn't mind dabbling into a F2P mobile game that's "new" until Diablo IV comes out, then it's worth checking out yourself. Like I've said before, in waiting rooms, in the bathroom, etc. It IS a mobile game, it was never meant to be anything more than that. But as a F2P mobile game, there are whales out there that have absolutely no problem dumping thousands of dollars into it. It's insane. But there are plenty of Gacha and other mobile games out there that have made absolute killings.
I disagree with you that the game can be enjoyed casually. I do believe there are major problems with controls, level design, leveling, ability usage, and rather poor animations. It feels like a Chinese knockoff diablo game. However, I don’t begrudge you if you do still find enjoyment out of it. My issue has and always will be the people who dismiss the predatory MTX, dismissing the issues from a core gameplay standpoint of pay to win design and pretend it isn’t a fundamental problem. Apologies if this wasn’t made clear from my previous posts.

I still enjoy Black Desert Online and Hearthstone despite their pay to win mechanics, but I still will greatly criticize and completely understand others who refuse to play them because of those mechanics. The way we get better games is by opening up and criticizing them and showcasing to others *why* its an issue. Just because it has become a standard doesn’t mean we shouldn’t continue to fight back against it. The game absolutely suffers because of its pay to win mechanics and would be objectively better in every way with them removed.

I can't help but feel like folks have either been living under a rock, or they somehow expected Diablo Immortal to do something different. Maybe cause they were/are huge Blizz/Diablo fans? I dunno. But I personally felt like the writing was on the wall when they announced it was coming, F2P monetization hasn't suddenly changed, it's been this way for a long time. Well, and as long as people pour money into the games, it's not changing anytime soon.
I fully expected the game to be quietly shuttered. To be removed after the massive and *needed* backlash. Replaced with a proper Diablo game designed for mobile gameplay in mind, with MTX obviously, but nothing this blatantly pay to win and all corporation with NetEase in its development cut.

This explains a lot, and it's what I figured. I totally get it. I'm still holding onto the inkling that Diablo IV will be decent, or (preferably) even more than that. Though I think being cautious is the best path. I grew up loving Blackthorne, dabbling in Tides of Darkness, and in WoW at launch. But I think it's abundantly clear that the Blizzard you once loved is long, long, long gone. As soon as Activision merged with them, things began shifting rather quickly. From then to now so much negative press came to light, and so many OG vets abandoned ship. Maybe they can be rebuilt and become something pretty solid someday? Who knows? Maybe. But they've been in an extremely rough position for awhile now, as we've all seen. In many ways.
You are correct that the Blizzard of the past is long dead. Nothing will bring that particular Blizzard back. However, I do believe that Blizzard can become a great company again with its current developers. They have amazing teams still working at the company with lots of talent and passion, but they are being poorly mismanaged and mishandled by greedy heads who don’t know what they are doing (and a few loudmouth danger hairs who may need to focus on their actual work instead of crying on twitter). There have been many companies that have changed over the decades. Capcom, Square Enix, Nintendo. They all had pitfalls and all of them have come back with amazing games and high quality releases. Sometimes numerous times they go through this cycle.

I believe that Blizzard can as well, and that is why I am so critical of them. Why I and many others like Asmongold, Bellular, and more speak out as passionately as we do. Especially right now with public opinion at an all time low. Heck, Microsoft went through this with their announcement of the Xbox One and it was public outcry and passionate fans that helped create a better platform and goals that are still being pushed by the current leaders to this day!

I can guarantee that Arclight Rumble is going to be just as bad if not worse. I generally don't touch mobile gaming with a ten foot pole, Diablo Immortal was the first time in a LONG time where I was curious, because, well, it's Diablo. That's it.
I am sure it will, but I am still hopeful that the vocal criticisms of Diablo will push them to monetize it in a different, less egregious way. I know Mobile games will have MTX, but there are ways to monetize the game that create long lasting fans without jeopardizing the core gameplay experience.

drotahorror

I played it and think I'm already over it, D2R with mods has my attention currently. I may come back to it later, it's fun. Go work out some of that aggression at the gym. Your crusade is pathetic.

Any recommendations for mods? I didn't even know that was a thing.

Think I'm kind of done with Diablo Immortal. I blew all my runes, used all my currency just to see what the game would be like if it wasn't monetized so much. Rifts were A LOT more fun when I popped my legendary crests and other crests and filled up all the slots (was saving them). I'm 47 now but the grind is super real and doing un-crested Rifts to level up very slowly isn't that entertaining in the long run for me.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Diablo 4 soon? That wont have micro transactions right? None of that auction house stuff right?
Blizzard after reading this concern

fetchimage

Trying out the DH now, they actually made attractive females in this game. Hopefully, that keeps up for D4.
Then you know its a Chinese game and not western. ActiBlizz are probably freaking out over it.

Last edited:
I played it and think I'm already over it, D2R with mods has my attention currently. I may come back to it later, it's fun. Go work out some of that aggression at the gym. Your crusade is pathetic.

It didn't even take two days for you to get bored of this crap and return to it's superior predecessor. Has it finally dawned on you that the aggressive monetization has negatively impacted the gameplay?
That is why games such as Diablo 2 are still beloved and played more than 20 years later, they didn't sacrifice gameplay for short-term profit.

Think I'm kind of done with Diablo Immortal. I blew all my runes, used all my currency just to see what the game would be like if it wasn't monetized so much. Rifts were A LOT more fun when I popped my legendary crests and other crests and filled up all the slots (was saving them). I'm 47 now but the grind is super real and doing un-crested Rifts to level up very slowly isn't that entertaining in the long run for me.

As predicted, once the honeymoon phase is over, people will slam into the cold harsh reality of the game's paywall.
Blizzard had to opportunity to release a great game for mobile and lift mobile gaming up on the good reputation of the Diablo franchise. Instead they decided to go full cash grab and release a husk of a game that is totally hollowed out by its microtransactions.

I am sure it will, but I am still hopeful that the vocal criticisms of Diablo will push them to monetize it in a different, less egregious way. I know Mobile games will have MTX, but there are ways to monetize the game that create long lasting fans without jeopardizing the core gameplay experience.

Check This Out GIF

Last edited:

Goalus

As predicted, once the honeymoon phase is over, people will slam into the cold harsh reality of the game's paywall.
Blizzard had to opportunity to release a great game for mobile and lift mobile gaming up on the good reputation of the Diablo franchise. Instead they decided to go full cash grab and release a husk of a game that is totally hollowed out by its microtransactions.
As far as I understand, mobile gamers are expecting the traits you are describing here and will be disappointed otherwise. The developers seem to have done a good job.

Smokken

Banned
Yep. But the same shills will defend this crap saying it isn’t an issue when it *blatantly* is. This is at the very core of the game and can’t be ignored in good conscience. This is *literally* destroying games and making things worse. We could have had a smaller in scope, but fun Diablo game on the go. Instead we get a predatory, insulting mess. A grindy, pay to win Chinese Scam that was sanctioned by Blizzard. It really shows how far both the industry and what used to be one of the giants within it have fallen.
It's an issue for people who need to spend money to enjoy the game. I'd say impatient gamers are the problem, and not the game itself. If they are so fragile mentally they can't control themselves and spend a fortune on lootboxes, tough luck I guess. I'm enjoying the game without spending money, so it's obviously possible.
D4 is on the horizon, so it's not like people don't have a non "predatory" game from Blizzard available anyway.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i thought i'd be playing more on PC but i'm playing it on my iPad most of the time. it's so obvious that the game was built around iOS so that's the best place to play it. the PC version is basically just the iOS version probably running in some kind of emulation layer. i don't think they will make big changes to it on PC without having to completely build it up from scratch for PC.

i've not spent any money yet and don't feel the need to. it's pure diablo fun. the whole UI feels cluttered though. they need to redesign the menus and let you hide some of the HUD. it has room for improvement but good first impressions :messenger_smiling:

Yeah the conditioning is strong. It's pretty sad really how bad things have gotten.
why can't you let people enjoy stuff?

so if someone likes mobile games it's "conditioning" now? lmfao. wow ok.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's an issue for people who need to spend money to enjoy the game. I'd say impatient gamers are the problem, and not the game itself. If they are so fragile mentally they can't control themselves and spend a fortune on lootboxes, tough luck I guess. I'm enjoying the game without spending money, so it's obviously possible.
D4 is on the horizon, so it's not like people don't have a non "predatory" game from Blizzard available anyway.

So we should just accept poorly designed predatory and pay to win design because we have D4 on the horizon?

Top Bottom