• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo Immortal |OT| Do You Guys Not Have Phones?

Fuz

Banned

Z2f7QMb.jpg

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Space Force Reaction GIF

Fuz

Banned
The diablo 3 auction house was awful because you needed to buy gear and weapons from there in order to progress on higher difficulties.
You're forgetting that the drop rates were skewed to accomodate paid transactions. And all that it means regarding game design.
The dealer has loaded dices.

Last edited:

manfestival

I'm currently level 37 and really enjoying my time with it. I haven't spent any money and don't plan to. I keep running into a weird issue on the PC version where sometimes I just can't attack at all. I end up having to die and when I come back, it's fixed. Is anyone else running into this? It's incredibly frustrating
I had that issue on that PC version as well. The other issue I have run into is where the UI just gets stuck. I try to click around and nothing. Meaning it has to be rebooted. It has happened twice so far but very annoying. Also not an issue in the mobile version of the game either for me. Sure the PC version is a "beta" but this is one rough beta based off of everyone's experiences with it.

chris121580

I had that issue on that PC version as well. The other issue I have run into is where the UI just gets stuck. I try to click around and nothing. Meaning it has to be rebooted. It has happened twice so far but very annoying. Also not an issue in the mobile version of the game either for me. Sure the PC version is a "beta" but this is one rough beta based off of everyone's experiences with it.
Yeah this is exactly what I'm experiencing. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You're forgetting that the drop rates were skewed to accomodate paid transactions. And all that it means regarding game design.
The dealer has loaded dices.
I remember very clear that the only way to get past act2 inferno with my barb in old d3 was to play the AH

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's bots.
We had proof of that 9 months ago with Genshin Impact anniversary, which got review bombed to 1-2 and then went back instantly to 4 stars.
Play store is like 90% bots.

So Activision/Blizzard bought bots to post fake scores?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Pretty seemless to jump into groups as well, which is helpful for quick bursts of play.

I was surprised they added matchmaking to the raid: usually for activities like that you force a group of people to form a group first (I know legacy WoW Raids did this). Now, this might be a good idea because I've yet to beat that boss (and apparently there are multiples) playing with randoms. Feels like a classic WoW "DPC check."

I am beginning to think more and more you are being paid to shill for this crap.

Yes. I am a "paid shill" because I do not think a United States company advertising a game on a United States digital platform would engage in and authorize someone on their behalf to defraud United States citizens by hiring fake bots to fluff a products reviews, reviews that are trending downward as more people express their displeasure for the games monetization, the exact thing the bots are meant to counter. You absolute ponce.

Yes. I am a "paid shill" because I do not think a United States company advertising a game on a United States digital platform would engage in and authorize someone on their behalf to defraud United States citizens by hiring fake bots to fluff a products reviews, reviews that are trending downward as more people express their displeasure for the games monetization, the exact thing the bots are meant to counter. You absolute ponce.

Oh you mean like twitter artificially boosting its numbers with almost 20% being bots?
Bu...but muh 'nited States amirite?

Fake reviews are a widespread practice on these stores:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh you mean like twitter artificially boosting its numbers with almost 20% being bots?
Bu...but muh 'nited States amirite?

Fake reviews are a widespread practice on these stores:

Potentially fake on any site too not just bots.

One of my buddies runs websites. Does pretty well for himself making a living off it for the fam. Easily pulls in $100,000s per year in clicks and stuff as I chatted with him about it.

When he was starting out and needed reviews, he paid college students $15-20 to write a full page review of various products his site talked about. 100% made up. The students didn't get a sample product or anything. He just send them a picture of it and asked to write a review. I dont even remember if they had to be good reviews or anything. If the article was good enough to post like it came from a real critic, he sent them $20.

sol_bad

I saw Alannah Pierce playing the game and that was enough to say nope. Even the basic enemy grunts are sponges and I don't remember that being the case in the first 3 games. Most grunt type enemies go down in just a hit or two. Then I saw her soloing a boss and it was painful to watch. No thanks.

whyman

It's bots.
We had proof of that 9 months ago with Genshin Impact anniversary, which got review bombed to 1-2 and then went back instantly to 4 stars.
Play store is like 90% bots.
App Store too? I really think people are having fun in this game. Me included. I gave it 5 stars.
Tf9O3oX.jpg

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Finally gave it a try during my work breaks today. I haven’t been playing anything on my phone, since mobile games are ftp trash, and I refuse to spend money on the platform.

It’s eh…I’m super early in the game, but it plays like a mobile game. The opening area I played in was as linear as can be, with no freedom to explore.

Maybe things get better, but my early impressions aren’t that great.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm enjoying the game so far. I just hit level 50 and it has slowed my progress a bit, but it's nothing too bad. Usually my quests make up the bulk of the level gate (say I'm level 47 and have to hit 51 to continue) and then I have to run around for a bit doing dungeons or searching for loot. I can understand that being annoying if you want to power level like you could in earlier Diablo games. I haven't spent a dime yet, but I'm considering getting the $5 monthly pass if I decide to continue into the end game.

There's a couple things that I'm really liking and I hope carry over into Diablo 4:

1. The matchmaking is fantastic. If you find a hidden dungeon or one of the main dungeons, you just hit matchmake and it groups you up fairly quickly. For the hidden dungeons, if you find it and hit matchmake, it will send a message to people in the same area asking them if they would like to join you. The hidden dungeons are good for finding socketable gems for your secondary equipment and it's the same grind as it was for gems in Diablo 3. So for example, 3 small gems make the next level etc.

2. The main dungeons are quite well designed and they have some nice spectacle moments. For example, one has you riding down the river on a raft and then another raft comes beside you and you can fight between the two while they occasionally separate from each other. So that means other people in your group could be fighting on one raft while you're dealing with mobs on your own. There's even moments when the other raft goes off screen and down a different path. It's simple, but makes it different than your standard corridor.

3. The late game really opens up with different systems. Especially the Immortals vs Shadow and the different clans and dailies that you can partake in. Then it culminates in a massive event where the Shadows try to topple the group/clan on top and take over being an Immortal. It's just an extra thing to do I suppose, but it feels like they put a lot of thought into it. Now to be clear, to be the top and to be in the Immortal group, it definitely looks like that will be pay to win. But the other rewards you get even if you're not at the tippy top makes it nice to take part in even if you don't see the top part. So I hope that Diablo 4 has a similar system minus the pay to win part.

All in all I'm going to at least see it through to the end of the main game. I don't know if I'll continue into the hell modes or engage with the Paragon system, but it's been a decent distraction while the summer lull is going on.

Nico_D

The narrative for Diablo games have always been a joke. Just slay shit and get loot.

I liked the D2 story. At least the part that was told by those awesome cutscenes. Other than that, I lack patience to read/listen all the shit you find, diaries etc. I think that's a bad way to tell a story. It may work as flavor tho.

Balanced take on playing without cash

Balanced, my a*s. Dude is a tool and is already getting downvoted to hell.

dwgwfzd.jpg

And for good measure because the first comment pretty much nails it:

Its not that you need to spend money or not, its how the design of the game mechanics are so heavily tied into monetization. So many games out there that aren't trying to take all my money. This is definitely a pass for me

Blizzard lost all credibility and has thrown all moral principles overboard.

2. The main dungeons are quite well designed and they have some nice spectacle moments. For example, one has you riding down the river on a raft and then another raft comes beside you and you can fight between the two while they occasionally separate from each other. So that means other people in your group could be fighting on one raft while you're dealing with mobs on your own. There's even moments when the other raft goes off screen and down a different path. It's simple, but makes it different than your standard corridor.

They are super fun at first, but they're going to become this game's Baal runs. The rifts are procedurally generated but the dungeons are always the same. Only these dungeons drop set items.

Kiraly

Can't believe these enlightened defenders of REAL gaming are still in this OT clamouring for a "discussion" but when they have the opportunity to comment on a clip with a different point of view they just call them a tool and point to some nonsense dislike number on YouTube. 😂 😂 😂

Balanced, my a*s. Dude is a tool and is already getting downvoted to hell.

dwgwfzd.jpg

And for good measure because the first comment pretty much nails it:

Blizzard lost all credibility and has thrown all moral principles overboard.
Downvoted to hell? lol, there's 2-to-1 favorable ratio currently and you're still trying to spin that off as what, more negative than positive? While I can appreciate the fact that you're hell bent on derailing this OT, even that's a stretch for you. This guy...

e2tthxW.jpg

Can't believe these enlightened defenders of REAL gaming are still in this OT clamouring for a "discussion" but when they have the opportunity to comment on a clip with a different point of view they just call them a tool and point to some nonsense dislike number on YouTube. 😂 😂 😂
I think people are trying to use this thread for playing the game, and leave the many criticisms to the other threads.

Downvoted to hell? lol, there's 2-to-1 favorable ratio currently and you're still trying to spin that off as what, more negative than positive? While I can appreciate the fact that you're hell bent on derailing this OT, even that's a stretch for you. This guy...

e2tthxW.jpg

For YouTube that is a pretty abysmal ratio.
He's also being brutally eviscerated by his own comment section.

That is not a balanced take!

Here let me show you what a good ratio is:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz
You've slandered a solid youtuber that has in fact provided useful information to those that are looking to get into the game, refused to acknowledge basic math, and derided others for their interest in the game. I am not sure how you continue to fly under the radar while you shit up the OT with hot takes and misinformation, but I salute your job well done. Anywho, the game looks like it's really opening up as the beginning levels felt like a big tutorial. There's a lot packed into this once you get over the first dozen levels or so.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
They are super fun at first, but they're going to become this game's Baal runs. The rifts are procedurally generated but the dungeons are always the same. Only these dungeons drop set items.
Yea, that's a good point. It's fun and unique the first time, but after x dozen runs I can see it getting old very quickly.

I downloaded this last night on my beat up Samsung Galaxy S8. Started Necromancer, seems really fun I could see myself playing this off and on while waiting for D4. I'm going to download the PC version too to see how it runs, and helped my gf download it too - maybe we can play together like we did on D3.

I understand the outrage, but I was there 10+ years ago talking shit against microtransactions and complaining about shitty monetization. I don't care anymore, the war is over. MTX and GaaS are going to get much worse and none of us are going to change what's coming.

You've slandered a solid youtuber that has in fact provided useful information to those that are looking to get into the game, refused to acknowledge basic math, and derided others for their interest in the game. I am not sure how you continue to fly under the radar while you shit up the OT with hot takes and misinformation, but I salute your job well done. Anywho, the game looks like it's really opening up as the beginning levels felt like a big tutorial. There's a lot packed into this once you get over the first dozen levels or so.

I am not slandering anybody, this Youtuber is spreading lies by willfully obfuscating the real issues at hand.
By downplaying the viscous monetization he is also harming other customers who might believe his crap and fall into Blizzard's money trap because that guy provided them with a false picture.

I've provided plenty of videos from multiple respectable sources giving you the "real math" on the game's pay 2 win scheme. The video you provided is misinformed and outright misleading consumers in order to shill for this game. He is rightfully being dismantled by his own comment section for the blatant straw-manning and his video is downvoted into oblivion.

Can't be any more clear than that.

I downloaded this last night on my beat up Samsung Galaxy S8. Started Necromancer, seems really fun I could see myself playing this off and on while waiting for D4. I'm going to download the PC version too to see how it runs, and helped my gf download it too - maybe we can play together like we did on D3.

I understand the outrage, but I was there 10+ years ago talking shit against microtransactions and complaining about shitty monetization. I don't care anymore, the war is over. MTX and GaaS are going to get much worse and none of us are going to change what's coming.
I'm worse. I still rail against DRM. Even Steam is too much for me and that's a battle I'll never win because everybody loves the hell out of Steam. I am and always will be a defender of DRM free gaming. That's why I have about 200 games on GOG and about maybe 20 on Steam.

Last edited:
I’m genuinely interested to see what the defenders of this game have to say in a month, 3 months, 6 months. From what I understand the underlying game play loop is reasonably good (I mean, it’s Diablo so yeah)…& it can be enjoyed truly free until end game content which then essentially requires spending butt loads of real world money to progress & acquire the coolest shit. Soooo yeah I think a lot of these people who are saying “hey I think it’s fun and haven’t run into overly grindy content yet” probably just haven’t progressed far enough to hit the wall.

I may give it a chance in the future but honestly I haven’t played D3 more than a handful of hours so if I want to play a game like this I’ve got D3 waiting on deck for me and makes this mobile game pointless unless I’m traveling without a console or Steamdeck. 🤷🏻‍♂️

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
is it just me or is this game stupidly easy? i figure this is by design like many phone games where you hit a wall and have to pay to keep up

Orbital2060

I'm enjoying the game so far. I just hit level 50 and it has slowed my progress a bit, but it's nothing too bad. Usually my quests make up the bulk of the level gate (say I'm level 47 and have to hit 51 to continue) and then I have to run around for a bit doing dungeons or searching for loot. I can understand that being annoying if you want to power level like you could in earlier Diablo games. I haven't spent a dime yet, but I'm considering getting the $5 monthly pass if I decide to continue into the end game.

There's a couple things that I'm really liking and I hope carry over into Diablo 4:

1. The matchmaking is fantastic. If you find a hidden dungeon or one of the main dungeons, you just hit matchmake and it groups you up fairly quickly. For the hidden dungeons, if you find it and hit matchmake, it will send a message to people in the same area asking them if they would like to join you. The hidden dungeons are good for finding socketable gems for your secondary equipment and it's the same grind as it was for gems in Diablo 3. So for example, 3 small gems make the next level etc.

3. The late game really opens up with different systems. Especially the Immortals vs Shadow and the different clans and dailies that you can partake in. Then it culminates in a massive event where the Shadows try to topple the group/clan on top and take over being an Immortal. It's just an extra thing to do I suppose, but it feels like they put a lot of thought into it. Now to be clear, to be the top and to be in the Immortal group, it definitely looks like that will be pay to win. But the other rewards you get even if you're not at the tippy top makes it nice to take part in even if you don't see the top part. So I hope that Diablo 4 has a similar system minus the pay to win part.

All in all I'm going to at least see it through to the end of the main game. I don't know if I'll continue into the hell modes or engage with the Paragon system, but it's been a decent distraction while the summer lull is going on.
May I ask, pay to win in what way for immortals? I saw the hilt trader has a lot of stuff for immortals, is that it? There is a lot of stuff on there.

Im also curious if anyone have tried to go from first playthrough to a higher difficulty and met the same wall as in OG Diablo 3.

Generic

People who don't play mobile games complaining about mobile games, the usual stuff

I’m genuinely interested to see what the defenders of this game have to say in a month, 3 months, 6 months. From what I understand the underlying game play loop is reasonably good (I mean, it’s Diablo so yeah)…& it can be enjoyed truly free until end game content which then essentially requires spending butt loads of real world money to progress & acquire the coolest shit. Soooo yeah I think a lot of these people who are saying “hey I think it’s fun and haven’t run into overly grindy content yet” probably just haven’t progressed far enough to hit the wall.

I may give it a chance in the future but honestly I haven’t played D3 more than a handful of hours so if I want to play a game like this I’ve got D3 waiting on deck for me and makes this mobile game pointless unless I’m traveling without a console or Steamdeck. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You sound conflicted and not a little apprehensive. I’d suggest avoiding this game, as you say, it’s probably not worth it in the long run, and even if it’s free, you could be spending your time on more productive things.

Installed the apk via Google... Seems Path of Exile then Diablo..but i can play for a bit ..Is not horrible...found a good gear without paying..
ZyLHFHD.jpg

I have been playing for a few days. Only around lvl45. Already have had 6 legendary items drop. Have put zero money into the game.

As someone who put like thousands of hours into D2 and D3 the drop rate already feels way higher than those games. Especially D2.

In D2 I remember you could beat the whole campaign and never see a legendary drop. We would have to keep grinding multiple diablo clears or high level boss clears for even a small chance. In this game legendary are dropping like crazy...

Actually relatively impressed with this as a mobile game so far. It does feel like Diablo. But I can play it in short bursts on my phone.

My only complaint is about the coop multi-player. It really should let you play coop from the very start. For whatever reason you can't even play with friends until lvl10. And there are parts of the campaign that are solo only for some weird reason.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
May I ask, pay to win in what way for immortals? I saw the hilt trader has a lot of stuff for immortals, is that it? There is a lot of stuff on there.

Im also curious if anyone have tried to go from first playthrough to a higher difficulty and met the same wall as in OG Diablo 3.

Sure. I was specifically talking about the Immortals vs Shadows system that opens up to you later in the game once you hit level 43. It is highly centered around PvP to be able to get to the highest levels within this specific system. The Immortals are effectively considered to be the 300 strongest players on the server for that week. The Shadows are basically everyone else. Every week you're doing daily and weekly quests but ultimately to be able to challenge an Immortal and basically take over and become an Immortal, it's done via PvP elimination first between the Shadows, then Immortals, then the highest Immortal on the server. Needless to say, that is highly gear dependent and at least I've heard people say that PvP is where the pay to win really shows it's ugly face.

Edit: This video goes into good detail about the Immortals vs Shadows system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom