• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo Immortal's Microtransactions Have Made It $24 Million In Two Weeks

HF2014

Special thanks to all Youtubers who spent money to prove a point and try to show that this game sucks for its MTX! 😂. Havent spend one dollar, beat the game, enjoyed the story and im done with it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The problem is :what will be the consequences? Firstable, for Diablo IV.
different developers. if blizzard decide to make changes based on immortal it might be too late now if it's due to come out next year. if they are going to make changes it would likely be delayed.

that said, it has been obvious for the last 5-6 years that Diablo IV would have some kind of microtransactions/lootboxes based on WoW/Overwatch. but it likely won't be as "bad" as Immortal. one is a F2P mobile game and one is a full price pc/console game.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gross, but ya know good for them. Can't say I see the appeal of a game ridden with micro transactions, but also I ultimately want Blizzard to be successful, as they're responsible for a lot of memories from my teenage years. Here's hoping Diablo IV isn't too egregious with this shit though.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The problem is :what will be the consequences? Firstable, for Diablo IV.

Why do people keep insisting that these two products are tied together? Or that developers and publishers don't know that what works (controversially so) in one game, doesn't mean it will work, or even be appropriate, in another? As ubiquitous as mobile gaming and gaacha mechanics are now, you'd think, if it was this inevitable thing that just poisons game development by existing, that all of A/B's products would be designed as such. They aren't.

. . .like I get the existential threat gaacha is for some folks, particularly if they love a game so much that you get a tattoo of it (instead of their loved ones) - but we've not seen this comingling of game design that folks keep insisting is going to happen.

Having said that, 24MIL of the backs of 10MIL installs is not. . .great.

nikos

They made a good game and it's making them money. This is good for their other games as well. I spent about $20 and it was well worth the numerous hours I've put into it so far.

Genshin Impact, at its core, is also just a fun game. Diablo Immortal isn’t.
But for real it’s aimed at the waifu crowd.
Diablo Immortal plays like Diablo which is better than genshin impact gameplay wise.

Where were the articles against genshin impact when it released and was just as much a money pit. Oh yeah, perverts over run this industry and consumers.

Saber

Gold Member
Diablo Immortal plays like Diablo which is better than genshin impact gameplay wise.

Where were the articles against genshin impact when it released and was just as much a money pit. Oh yeah, perverts over run this industry and consumers.

It doesn't matter lol
Genshin could take away all the waifu stuff and would be still be better. The visuals, art, characters kit, open world design, etc.

You guys really should take a bit info about this game and get a bit of moderation on the "pervert" type of comments.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You should do the math on that conversation rate btw. Usually its flipped.

It is a fantastic conversion rate that any game maker/publisher would be thrilled to have.

"Checks math: let's see. . .24MIL, divided by 10MIL. . .that's two bucks and change. Yup same number."

. . .I'm not in app development or even care about the economics of the mobile market, but two and a half dollars per user over the last two weeks seems low given the narrative that this game was impossible to enjoy (or even participate in) without engaging with the constant stream of MTX. If two and a half bucks is "good" for an IP with the name recognition involved here, then. . .good for A/B I guess.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
"Checks math: let's see. . .24MIL, divided by 10MIL. . .that's two bucks and change. Yup same number."

. . .I'm not in app development or even care about the economics of the mobile market, but two and a half dollars per user over the last two weeks seems low given the narrative that this game was impossible to enjoy (or even participate in) without engaging with the constant stream of MTX. If two and a half bucks is "good" for an IP with the name recognition involved here, then. . .good for A/B I guess.
Ah, no worries and totally understandable. I find the narratives for stuff like this always hard to gauge fact from arm chair lunacy.

Yeah, its a fantastic attach/conversion rate for a game, even some of the biggest games in the space don’t have that kind of performance (and conversely don’t have near the media boosting due to the outrage etc.)

Its Free Real Estate GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Difference is, you didn’t need to feel the need to spend *any* money on Genshin Impact, unless you wanted a particular character skin as the game gave you one of every necessary kit to do any content in the game. Meanwhile Diablo Immortal greatly increases the grind very, very early on and ruins the whole point of a diablo game. Grinding and min/maxing your character. Asmongold, JoshStrifeHayes, etc. They have all explained it numerous times in multiple hours of video evidence, data sheets, and more. You have to be purposefully ignorant, head in the sand, ass up to continue to not see the problems with the game.

If you genuinely can’t tell the difference between how both games handle their MTX (not to say Genshin Impact is *good* with its MTX either, just far superior to the fucking trash heap that is Immoral) then you need to seek help.

It doesn't matter lol
Genshin could take away all the waifu stuff and would be still be better. The visuals, art, characters kit, open world design, etc.

You guys really should take a bit info about this game and get a bit of moderation on the "pervert" type of comments.
I’ve played genshin impact, When it first launched on ps4, But it still has dumb monetization tactics and spin to win bullshit. Diablo isn’t supposed to be pretty. If anything Immortal is darker than D3

Genshin being better just because you like anime style art doesn’t make the game generally better, that just hits your niche. Not everyone is into the anime look.

Ogbert

Why doesnt Genshin Impact get the same treatment?

Double standards, or what? Isnt that actually much worse with the way the gacha mechanics are implemented?
Because Blizzard are one of the most cherished video game designers in history. Their games raised entire generations of PC players.

No one cares about some waifu nonsense.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Difference is, you didn’t need to feel the need to spend *any* money on Genshin Impact, unless you wanted a particular character skin as the game gave you one of every necessary kit to do any content in the game. Meanwhile Diablo Immortal greatly increases the grind very, very early on and ruins the whole point of a diablo game. Grinding and min/maxing your character. Asmongold, JoshStrifeHayes, etc. They have all explained it numerous times in multiple hours of video evidence, data sheets, and more. You have to be purposefully ignorant, head in the sand, ass up to continue to not see the problems with the game.

If you genuinely can’t tell the difference between how both games handle their MTX (not to say Genshin Impact is *good* with its MTX either, just far superior to the fucking trash heap that is Immoral) then you need to seek help.
Genshin Impact - $60 million off 23 million users in 1 week
Diablo - $24 million off 10 million users in two weeks
But somehow Diablo is worse?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Genshin Impact - $60 million off 23 million users in 1 week
Diablo - $24 million off 10 million users in two weeks
But somehow Diablo is worse?

Considering Diablo is blatantly pay to win, many of its design is placed around spending money, and it actively gimps you for not spending cash and Genshin Impact… doesn’t do any of that? Yes. Yes its worse. I know that is a concept that is utterly baffling for you, but I do think I you can figure it out.

Saber

Gold Member
I’ve played genshin impact, When it first launched on ps4, But it still has dumb monetization tactics and spin to win bullshit. Diablo isn’t supposed to be pretty. If anything Immortal is darker than D3

Genshin being better just because you like anime style art doesn’t make the game generally better, that just hits your niche. Not everyone is into the anime look.

In what part of my post did I said that GI doesn't have monetization?

Genshin being better has nothing to do with anime, stop being such a sissy. Take all the anime style if that suits you, they still have the well craft open world, characters kit, enemy design, weapons design, gameplay mechanics like reactions, etc.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Considering Diablo is blatantly pay to win, many of its design is placed around spending money, and it actively gimps you for not spending cash and Genshin Impact… doesn’t do any of that? Yes. Yes its worse. I know that is a concept that is utterly baffling for you, but I do think I you can figure it out.
So you can't get better items and more powerful characters easier by paying money in Genshin Impact? And you can't complete Diablo Immortal without spending money?

Fuz

Banned
Guys?
Yes, Genshin business model is SHITTY and I've ranted about it quite a lot both here on the OT and on reddit.
BUT Diablo Immoral manage to be even more shitty. Which doesn't make Genshin good, but it's a testament of HOW FUCKING SHITTY Immoral is.

Spent a long time in development. I wonder what it cost to make.

I played for the first week to get the free cosmetics and not since. Won’t delete it but I sure as hell am not spending my money on this.

Kenpachii

You even have guilds/clan in the game that only accept people that showcase there paychecks to see if they got enough cash to spend to keep up. its pretty fucked.

Orbital2060

No.

Watch Josh Strife Hayes's video.

Genshin is bad, but this shit takes it to a whole new level of insidious nastiness.

I dont need anyone to tell me what to think of something, but thanks for posting it. Im playing the game (lvl 56 atm and close to the end of the main quest) and Im having a really great time with it. Its better than Diablo 3, in my view, and lord knows I played the hell out of that over several years. Its probably as good as Diablo 2 ever was. But thats maybe because Deckard Cain is alive through the whole game and plays a part in the narrative at key points. Diablo 3 sucks for killing Cain, what the fuck.

Ive paid for the battle pass (5 bucks) and a couple of the 1-dollar offers, and thats all Ive felt the need to spend. So a total of 7 bucks for a game that I will play for 40-50 hours to clear the battlepass and main story. I dont think thats too bad.

Guys?
Yes, Genshin business model is SHITTY and I've ranted about it quite a lot both here on the OT and on reddit.
BUT Diablo Immoral manage to be even more shitty. Which doesn't make Genshin good, but it's a testament of HOW FUCKING SHITTY Immoral is.

Wait a minute.. you «guys» are playing Genshin Impact and still have a go at Diablo?

15cb3521-81fb-4c3a-8bmpkqp.gif

Wildebeest

The game isn't out in China yet, which I suppose is its primary market. Not really amazing that so many dumb people in America donated to this scam for the dank memes.

Absolutely loved the game and didn't even payed a single cent till I was lvl 45 or something and that too on battlepass because I wanted to support the game.
Fuck the haters , the game is great played it at construction site , on ubers,outside home , my series x hasn't given me that sort of enjoyment in a long time , the sheer freedom that u can play for a few minutes anywhere and can get good enjoyment out of it is priceless
I'm lvl 55 now I think and for not one time I felt like the game is trying to squeeze money out of me or has some paywall and stopping me from progression , yes there are some lvl gates but u can lvl up to those in just an hour of grinding

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Not that great for a mobile gacha. Genshin Impact did 60 million first week, and didn't have the Diablo name to back it. https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/76...-through-1-billion-in-mobile-player-spending/
It was made by the same studio that made Honkai Impact 3rd, has the same setting, both set in the Honkai universe and the initial userbase was almost the same as Honkai Impact 3rd. Genshin is not some random gacha that came out from nowhere, it had massive marketing behind it from an already successful developer.

renzero

Neo Member
That actually doesn't seem like very much. I think selling a complete game at full price would have probably made a lot more than that... but maybe in the long run if it keeps it up this way is more profitable?

That actually doesn't seem like very much. I think selling a complete game at full price would have probably made a lot more than that... but maybe in the long run if it keeps it up this way is more profitable?
It never does tho, in Mobile land you're never the top-dog for more then a month. The next free awesome game is just around the corner..

MiguelItUp

I think the interesting thing about this is how it still wasn't and isn't available in certain countries. So I wonder if those particular countries are even larger culprits when it comes to being insane whales? Because, while this number isn't AWFUL, it IS awful compared to other F2P mobile money makers. But to my understanding, those money makers also had worldwide launches, while DI didn't.

Shubh_C63

It never does tho, in Mobile land you're never the top-dog for more then a month. The next free awesome game is just around the corner..
I have no proof but I think Diablo would prove to be an exception to that rule, if that indeed is the rule.
This thing is going to run for years, and they haven't even started the usual random events and whatnot shit AAA mobile games does to retain players.

Roxkis_ii

Special thanks to all Youtubers who spent money to prove a point and try to show that this game sucks for its MTX! 😂. Havent spend one dollar, beat the game, enjoyed the story and im done with it.

Youtubers are the biggest whales and hypocrite.

Hey guys this game is horrible and you shouldn't support it! *spends 10 of thousands of dollors on the game*

People really love to take their hyperbolic hatred of MTX to an obsessive level. It's an optional payment within a free to play game, not some monster that steals your wife and eats your babies. There's definitely a good discussion to be had about the pros and cons of monetization but good fucking lord these takes...

That’s chump change if you can compare it to a $60 release game.

Worse if you compare it to the top gacha games.

Also remember that spending goes down from release especially on progression type games compared to waifu collector games.
But its potential will make millions more over the long-term rather than just a burst of money at the end of development. Don't be short sighted.

Top Bottom