• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Beta |Mini OT| READ THE OP

What would you rate Diablo IV

• 1 (Amazing)

Votes: 116 37.3%

Votes: 111 35.7%

Votes: 62 19.9%

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 5 (Dreadful)

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters

Hot5pur

Why do i need to wait in line to play a game? Will the final release be like this?
Because setting up the online infrastructure is still a problem for developers. That's why they are doing the beta testing.
The final game will almost certainly have issues based on Blizzard's history, the best thing to do is delay your purchase until you are confident that server issues have been resolved, which they will be given how much resources there are behind this game.

Edit: to be clear, queues go away once the developers stabilize the servers, but it's possible they may come back at beginning of seasons or major expansions

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Because setting up the online infrastructure is still a problem for developers. That's why they are doing the beta testing.
The final game will almost certainly have issues based on Blizzard's history, the best thing to do is delay your purchase until you are confident that server issues have been resolved, which they will be given how much resources there are behind this game.
Thats probably what ill do. Shame they dont seem interested in adding an offline mode so we can play the game at launch without having to be lucky enough to get past the que

Hot5pur

Thats probably what ill do. Shame they dont seem interested in adding an offline mode so we can play the game at launch without having to be lucky enough to get past the que
A lot of games are going that direction unfortunately. I think part of it is it avoids piracy, I believe the PC version of D3 has not been pirated to this day.
The other aspect is it's probably easier to roll out updates / hotfixes. And finally having to support both online/offline infrastructure is more work.

amigastar

A lot of games are going that direction unfortunately. I think part of it is it avoids piracy, I believe the PC version of D3 has not been pirated to this day.
The other aspect is it's probably easier to roll out updates / hotfixes. And finally having to support both online/offline infrastructure is more work.
That's true Piracy plays a big role probably in always online games.
Anyways guys don't forget to restart the Battle Net client before first starting the game.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

Might be a hot take, but I’m glad the game is online only. Offline players would hack their characters in Diablo 3 and then find ways to bring those characters into online games and screw up your experience. As a game that is supposed to grow for years, it’s just easier for them to prevent cheating and to do updates when it’s online.

These beta tests will help with launch server issues along with the staggered release and like most online games there are few issues once the game gets going.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I was about to write a protips post about the beta for the new people, but this kind chap on Reddit already did so here's a copypasta.

Also keep in mind that gold, crafting materials, and your stash are shared between accounts, so if you find something cool for a different class, you can save it. Buying a second stash tab costs 100,000 gold, which isn't that much. Getting one character to level 25 should net you around 300,000 gold in a casual playthrough.

You can pet the dogs in town if you mouse hover on the dog, press E to open your emotes, and choose "hello".

Low level respeccing is free, and even at level 25, a full respec is only going to cost around 1000 gold, so experiment as much as you want.

For barbarian, affixes on weapons that you equip that you aren't using at the moment will still affect your character.

Save your legendaries because they have a high chance of becoming useful later, even if they are a low level item. You can sell everything else, unless you're saving items to twink a new character.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
There are a couple of things I want to test during the beta involving the level 35 item level boss Osgar as well as the World Boss.

For Osgar, if you are in a party and if at least one person is in the area when the boss dies, the loot drop will be saved for all people in the party, even if they're in another area. That means that for farming purposes, we could run multiple areas solo while in a party in different areas, and as long as one person is at Osgar (even AFK), all those loot drops will be saved for everyone. Even if you miss a legendary drop, it'll be automatically saved for you and will be waiting for you in your stash.

For the World Boss, it is possible to fight her multiple times per pop. All you need to do is to town portal out, then back in to try to force an instance reset. Or to town portal to town, then run back to the spawn area. Depending on the number of other players around, this could reset the instance too. Also, changing the World Tier difficulty could do this. I think we could party up, kill Ashava, disband the party, then each person reset their instances to find the boss again. When one person does, reinvite everyone back to the party to bring everyone to that person's instance with Ashava.

We could use the NeoGAF clan to organize this. dorkimoe dorkimoe Spukc Spukc Yoshichan Yoshichan thoughts?

Hot5pur

Diablo 4 is designed from the ground up for MMO-like qualities. You can't really have an offline mode in that case.
I think it's more "MMO" lite. The PVP and world boss could have been in their own online system allowing for the rest of the experience to be single player.
Having other people in your game feels tacked on and not fundamental to anything you do.

Why do i need to wait in line to play a game? Will the final release be like this?
Queue Times: When we open the gates again this Friday to absolutely everyone, we are expecting a lot of people. There will be lengthy queue times, particularly on Friday when we first launch and during peak regional windows. This past weekend helped us to forecast the capacity we expect this weekend, and we will be using that capacity to intentionally stress our systems in preparation for launch. In summary, while we know it can be frustrating, we need queues to properly stress test our services and we are designing to ensure we have them some of the time.

Shame. I just hate the idea of not being able to play something i paid money for right when i buy jt
Wait a week after launch then :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The servers are going to get absolutely wrecked today and at launch. I'm not expecting to log in tonight at all and when launch comes I'll probably play something else for a few days until shit calms down.

badblue

I'm ready for disappointment and server queues! Whose with me?!
Count Me In Lets Go GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You can leave a dungeon, appearing at it's entrance, by using the leave emote or clicking on the entrance gate icon. Useful to avoid some backtracking or resuming overworld exploration. You can also bind emotes to a key.

Thank Christ, I only had a few hours to play the last beta so didn't bother looking for a solution to this, but it seemed silly that there wasn't a "teleport to entrance" thing at the end of some long caves.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thank Christ, I only had a few hours to play the last beta so didn't bother looking for a solution to this, but it seemed silly that there wasn't a "teleport to entrance" thing at the end of some long caves.
Yup. It's not immediately obvious because the tutorial dungeon trains people to think that there will always be an "exit dungeon" staircase that spawns after you beat the dungeon boss.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Zero issues with no offline mode after dealing with blatant cheaters in the console version of D3 hacking equipment and other things.

You essentially can’t run public games on console because of this.

They had the brilliant idea to let online and offline intermix. The other day I was playing seasonal and a buddy invited me to a game and sure enough there was a baba with hacked items.

I realized when he selected grift 150 and soloed it in seconds.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Yup. It's not immediately obvious because the tutorial dungeon trains people to think that there will always be an "exit dungeon" staircase that spawns after you beat the dungeon boss.
Agree…I didn’t realize that you could click on the dungeon entrance from the map and teleport back to it until late Saturday night.

amigastar

I think it's nice that the game automatically transfers Legendaries into your item chest when you don't pick them up in the Dungeons.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Someone said the Diablo 4 beta was difficult to find on Xbox and that was not the case for myself and Kvally.
Well it was certainly was the case for me. The fact I was able to find it easily on the Xbox app on pc and send to download on my Xbox means it wasn’t easily findable on my end when looking on console.

Sorry if that offends you or anyone else.

Kvally

Banned
Well it was certainly was the case for me. The fact I was able to find it easily on the Xbox app on pc and send to download on my Xbox means it wasn’t easily findable on my end when looking on console.

Sorry if that offends you or anyone else.
I turned on my Xbox this morning and clicked on the Xbox Store. The top half of the screen was the Diablo 4 Open Beta. I clicked on the massive picture and the download started. Not sure why yours was different. Calm down 🤷‍♂️

Minsc

Gold Member
Gonna grab some food for the queues. Anyways does anyone know how long does it take to reach lvl 20? Wanna get those free rewards from the beta.

If you intend to solo it, and not skip the cutscenes/side quests and play like a single player game, I'd say expect 6-8 hours. If you rush through it, I imagine you can get to level 20 in under an hour with help?

But the game is getting wiped so I'm not sure why people are trying to farm gear so hard when it'll be gone after a couple days... guess just for the fun of it.

I mean a lot of these a common criticisms so I’m mostly repeating what’s already been said.

-Early game class balance is off (this will be more of an issue when seasons drop)
-Itemization is underwhelming to say the least. +Skills are a great thing to carry over from D2 though.
-Level scaling/power progression feels off. Ie not satisfying
-Don’t stand in fire mechanics negatively affect melee more than range. It’s fine to have that but don’t let it neuter melee dps constantly.
-Too many small pockets of enemies leading to lots of down time running from group to group
-Too much backtracking in very simplistic dungeons
-Skill trees are a jumbled mess in their current state
-The potion system is a little too gamey for my liking. Will have to see how that system holds up through the course of the game.
-It’s not very clear how certain mechanics work such as berserking and overpower
-UI is a cluttered mess, both on screen and in menus. Too many pop-ups.
-No set gear at launch
-Why are legendaries and uniques so similar in terms of magic properties and affixes?
- in terms of early game balance, I get what you are saying. Yes, there are some classes that feel more powerful than others early game. But to be honest, this sounds like a nitpick more than anything because you cannot really balance an early game properly in this type of a title. ARPGs are all about the end game.

I managed to get through the hardest dungeon boss on a Hardcore Barbarian (Den Mother in Light's Watch) and I had the easiest time with the Sorceress and medium difficulty with the Rogue. And you know what? That's ok. I am past all those levels already and not worried about it.

- Itemization is weak? You must not have been here when Diablo 3 launched. The itemization here is way way way better than Diablo 3. As a matter of fact, it's mostly D3 itemization with a few extra sprinkles on top and a finite Paragon system. No offense, but I call bullshit on this one.

You can't really truly say itemization is shit or not overall until you have reached end game and started making end game builds and seeing how powerful and diverse they can get. I'd say this is way too soon for someone to judge itemization, including myself. I reslly don't understand how people keep complaining about balance when they're only level 25 and are missing the rest of 75 levels and a bunch of end game gear. Boggles my mind.

- I can see how the scaling can bother some people. But I think with this being a open world shared game Blizzard had to choose the lesser evil. Imagine your friend is level 30 and your 10 cause you don't have as much time to play. Scaling fixes that problem. Perhaps they can tone down the mobs a but to fix this? Honestly man, with the Hardcore Rogue build I had, I didn't have much issues moving down mobs as I was leveling my way to level 25. Try messing with a few builds and see what you can come up with to compensate for the scaling.

- Don't stand in fire as melee? Well yes... same goes for range... World of Warcraft has same thing. Have you ever raided in WoW or seen boss raid fights? There are always mechanics where melee is forced to move out and lose DPS. Welcome to being melee, part of the ruleset.

This sounds like a none issue or no offense a lack of skill rather of not being able to go around it or being patient enough for the fire to go away.

Can't take this specific criticism seriously here if I am being frank. This just sounds over-exaggereted. I didn't hase this problem when I played a Barbarian personally. What area or mob specifically you had an issue with here on a melee class?

- The enemy pockets don't bother me. I think mob density is fine. Sounds like a subjective thing and is not really an issue from an objective point of view.

- I'll agree about backtracking in dungeons. Yes. It was cool at first too find the boxes and put them on pedestals to open doors, but got boring real fast.

Considering end game will consist of constantly running dungeons this is going to become an issue and lead to boredom. They need to fix this or modify it somehow. They should also have better dungeon randomization imo to tone down the repetive dungeon design. I think visually dungeons look amazing, but it's the layouts that can lead to problems.

- I thought skill trees were a jumbled mess too. But after playing for over 30 hours they kind of grew on me and I got used to them. It's really not that bad man. What you need to do is just sit down, open up the skill tree and look at it and start analyzing it slowly and break it down. It's very simple actually, your first skill is a core skill that is your generator. I promise you, it's not really a mess.that you may think it is.

Your second skill is your main spender. Your 3rd, 4th are like utilities and other things depending on your class. Then there is the ultimate tree, where it's yoir big dick skill that you want to pop during combat or oh shit situations.

- I like the potion system and how you can upgrade it as you level. Much better than collecting 1000x million pots of the floor imo. It didn't bother me. Subjective matter imo.

- I'll agree with this. I have O clue what Overpower does. Berserking I think is same thing from D3 when Barbarian turns into the big dude? I could be wrong. Is the berserking here exclusive to Barbarian or every class has it? I didn't look. But yes, they absolutely need to have a tool tip that explains every stat in greater detail.

- I think UI is ok for the most part, but there are some things that could use adjustments. My biggest issue with UI on console is that I don't like it how on PS5 they put it on the left corner. There is no option to center it. There is an option though for it on PC. D2 Resurructed has the main UI of your health and mana in the middle on consoles, but not D4 :/ also, why is there no UI scaling option? That should be a standard. They need to do some QoL for UI.

- I did some research on Set Gear and according to Blizzard they said they'd rather take the time to make the tier sets meaningful and more impact full than rushing them out for launch. And to be quite honest, yes it's a bit sad they won't be there day 1 but in all honesty I think it's better for them to take their time.

It will pay off in the long run. Besides, there will be so many things to do when the game launches. 5 classes to level up, gear to get, play with friends, fuck around with builds and so on. There is plenty of content and I am not too worried about it. I can wait and I believe it's for the better.

- I haven't seen any uniques in the beta or any end game items. So I can't say anything about this. Again, I think it's a bit too soon to judge the itemization system till we start actually making end game builds when we are at level 100.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I turned on my Xbox this morning and clicked on the Xbox Store. The top half of the screen was the Diablo 4 Open Beta. I clicked on the massive picture and the download started. Not sure why yours was different. Calm down 🤷‍♂️
I was talking about the early access beta for preordering last week? There was no big splash page for the beta and I mentioned all the terms I searched for on series s with no results.

Obviously the experience is going to be a bit different for an open beta they are actively promoting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom