• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV is releasing in 2023 with cross-save and cross-progression

Do you really think game mechanics will not be designed to reinforce micro transactions? D3 was 10 years ago, and that was a game designed with crude RMAH payments in mind.
Nowadays there are way more and niuanced ways to monetise.
As long as it optional and not forced it won't really matter

ZehDon

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Basically, it's what I wanted Diablo III to be, before it got Jay Wilson-ed. Day one.

Looks v cool, as someone who’s never played Diablo what is a good jumping in point?

All of them. The original is a different beast compared to everything that followed with a strong emphasis on its atmosphere and gothic - horror aesthetic, and with a much more methodical approach to its combat; in this regard it's very akin to Dark Souls. It's crude, rough around the edges but definitely worth giving a swirl for a couple of hours at least. The soundtrack is fucking amazing.

Diablo 2 Resurrected is the best in the series and what everybody is playing right now, especially since Ladder mode started. It easily has the best loot itemization and drop table in the series.

Diablo 3 is fantastic as well, but everything took a nosedive except for the combat which is improved.

DavidGzz

I wonder if we saw an example of a cosmetic in some of the gameplay shown. I saw fire and the fire snake that looked like a unique color in the IGN footage. More pink than red.

In this video, compare the same fire spells at 10:25 and at 13:49 on the same map. It could also be the level of the spell or the rune used. Just something I noticed.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

In D4 at most, we'll have cosmetics, mounts, and stash space just like PoE. I doubt they'd want the uproar from fans if they made it P2W like Immortal which, as a F2P mobile game, was always going to be that.

Last edited:

mxbison

I played Immortal on my phone and ignored all of the MTX so i don't know why it so hard for some of you guys

How long did you play? These games always let you progress just fine in the beginning to get you hooked.

MTX in Immortal heavily influence loot and level progression, two of the main aspects of the game.

DavidGzz

So sad that there will not be any hammers spinning around and smashing some skeletons at launch. It would look and sound so awesome with the new physics.

Rykan

How long did you play? These games always let you progress just fine in the beginning to get you hooked.

MTX in Immortal heavily influence loot and level progression, two of the main aspects of the game.
That's precisely it.

You can play Diablo Immortal just fine until endgame. You'll probably have a good time doing so.

It's at the endgame where the problems arise, because the focus moves away from progressing through new content to optimizing/maximizing your character which is very pay to win. That's why I continue to recommend D:I. Play through it to the endgame because its a genuinely good game and drop it once you get there.

amigastar

I was thinking that Diablo Immortal is actually a good thing. Why? Because It's a pay2win game and there's no reason for Blizzard to repeat this formula for Diablo 4 because they have already Immortal doing that.
So Immortal paves the way for Diablo 4 to be free of Microtransactions.

Last edited:

sendit

I was thinking that Diablo Immortal is actually a good thing. Why? Because It's a pay2win game and there's no reason for Blizzard to repeat this formula for Diablo 4 because they have already Immortal doing that.
Diablo 4 will be a GaaS.

It is hard to get excited for this game considering how shitty Blizzard has become.

This will be infested with insidious MTX and other monetization options that will impact gameplay an ruin the experience.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

whyman

It is hard to get excited for this game considering how shitty Blizzard has become.

This will be infested with insidious MTX and other monetization options that will impact gameplay an ruin the experience.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

What makes you think it will be infested with that?

Diablo Immortal is possibly the best mobile game ever made. I know you hate how monetisation works on mobile to the point you lie about it but what indications do you have that it will carry on to PC?

So far it really seems like it will be things like cosmetic, maybe battle pass and inventory space.

Ellery

Way more Diablo than I expected.

Sadly they managed to desensitize the industry to microtransactions in full price games and they even managed to make people happy about it.

If you ever wonder how manipulation works -> Release Diablo Immortal the worst pay2win shit possible and make people angry. Have the idiots and whales still play it to get their money -> Announce Diablo 4 only has cosmestic microtransactions, because people that pay the full price for this game don't deserve the cosmetics if they not also pour more money into.

I am well aware that in itself this isn't the end of the world and doesn't really impact Diablo 4 that much, but it is another step on the downwards spiral.

Personally I prefer to unlock things (including cosmetics) through playing the game or achieving certain things and not by stuffing even more money down Bobby's greedy throat.

sendit

They said for Diablo 4 there will be only cosmetic ingame shop and normal expansions.
Anyways what does GaaS in Diablo 4 case mean, actually?

GaaS has gotten a bad rep. Diablo 4 will be a GaaS in a sense that it will require an online connection to play. Micro-transactions will be present. Ongoing updates and events will be present. I believe it will be handled similarly to Destiny. Multiplayer is a huge aspect this time around.

TrebleShot

All of them. The original is a different beast compared to everything that followed with a strong emphasis on its atmosphere and gothic - horror aesthetic, and with a much more methodical approach to its combat; in this regard it's very akin to Dark Souls. It's crude, rough around the edges but definitely worth giving a swirl for a couple of hours at least. The soundtrack is fucking amazing.

Diablo 2 Resurrected is the best in the series and what everybody is playing right now, especially since Ladder mode started. It easily has the best loot itemization and drop table in the series.

Diablo 3 is fantastic as well, but everything took a nosedive except for the combat which is improved.
Thank you, currently recovering from COVID so will give D2 a go its not too expensive on PS5 either.

JCK75

Now that Diablo Immortal has stolen its thunder there doesn't seem to much left for Diablo IV to do but sop up what few remaining holdouts there are still yelling at clouds. It's nice that this game will function on Playstations and Xboxes, but Diablo Immortal already runs everywhere else.

too bad it's a shit game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Thank you . The amount of people who think Blizzard would be designing TWO loot-games is laughable. Like, why would you invest all these resources into your turning your mainstream title into a Gambling Den when you've already got a game out there to take the bullets (and dollars) from players for you. D4 is CLEARLY going to be a GaaS game; there's no reason and zero chance it will be a "gacha."

I'm Paragon 6 in D:I. I didn't spend a dime to get to this point and was not gimped in either power or features. You're talking out your keister.

Interfectum

That's precisely it.

You can play Diablo Immortal just fine until endgame. You'll probably have a good time doing so.

It's at the endgame where the problems arise, because the focus moves away from progressing through new content to optimizing/maximizing your character which is very pay to win. That's why I continue to recommend D:I. Play through it to the endgame because its a genuinely good game and drop it once you get there.
Most of GAF will never participate in endgame anyway. There is zero need to stress out about MTX in D:I unless you want to do some shitty competitive PvP after you beat it.

drotahorror

Looks and sounds good. I'm definitely excited but...why did they even have a section called "End Game" in that trailer? They didn't talk about any end game activities or anything. Wtf.

sircaw

Banned
Looks and sounds good. I'm definitely excited but...why did they even have a section called "End Game" in that trailer? They didn't talk about any end game activities or anything. Wtf.
Knightmare dungeons, one of the videos i watched mentioned keys, i think those will be similar to POE's maps with modifiers on them.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

They talked about end-game in about as much depth as they talked about anything else. "New items, new dungeons, new paragon boards. . .everytime you come back to Diablo IV, there's going to be new stuff for you to experience" is what they said in regards to end-game and I imagine at some point in the next twelve months they will detail precisely what those are in the context of the game.

jimmypython

I really hope the console versions get mouse and keyboard support....not sure why devs are so against it for other games: Pillars 1/2, Divinity, Diablo 2, Stardew etc

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Your mantra of "Good morning I hate women" is good brother. Keep the cock and our grindr profiles on the front is my say.

Imagine being triggered over something that aint gameplay. The game looks good.
The most embarrass is if he watched the video give more minutes he'd found out that you can freely customise gender and skin color.

amigastar

I'll admit, i'm currently playing Reign of Terror Mod for Grim Dawn and rocking a Necromancer. It feels so good that i don't even need Diablo 4 for now. I'll make sure to not play any ARpg for some time before Diablo 4 arrives to get hungry again for the game.

Last edited:

stn

I love D3: Ultimate Edition, so I'm in day one. Hoping they include a proper end game this time and its not like vanilla D3.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This. Thought exactly the same. After all he brought Gears back from the dead as well.
He also rescued Bioshock Infinite. You can debate the quality of his games (IMO they're solid, but SAFE), but he will get a game done on time and complete. Has a great track record. MS should appoint him to oversea all of their 1st party instead of Phil Spencer.

MiguelItUp

Diablo Immortal =/= Diablo IV

Diablo Immortal is a F2P mobile game co-developed by NetEase. Built FOR mobile, which is why its monetization (while avoidable) is as awful as it is. Diablo IV won't be any of those things.

If anything, I think it's fair to be concerned about the outcome because of the internal changes made to D IV team during its development. Hopefully at launch it'll be better than decent, but overtime I see it being more than that. Much like D3. They have plenty of things to reflect on to show them what success means for them, D IV, and its fans. Will they do it? Hopefully. I think they realize what is as stake on those platforms.

Diablo Immortal is a F2P mobile game co-developed by NetEase. Built FOR mobile, which is why its monetization (while avoidable) is as awful as it is. Diablo IV won't be any of those things.

If anything, I think it's fair to be concerned about the outcome because of the internal changes made to D IV team during its development. Hopefully at launch it'll be better than decent, but overtime I see it being more than that. Much like D3. They have plenty of things to reflect on to show them what success means for them, D IV, and its fans. Will they do it? Hopefully. I think they realize what is as stake on those platforms.
Ironically, I think D3 suffered from not being GaaS. Blizzard had no incentive to keep the game going. Seasons were barebones as fuck.

With D4 they're gonna go all out because they can sell MTX. I expect D4 to be a proper competitor to PoE2.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Like I said in my above post, having Rod Fergusson as the guy in charge is GREAT news. There are few people in the industry who knows how to get games done in an orderly and timely fashion.
I have NO IDEA where he stands on microtransactions and monetization, but you can expect the game to be completed in good order.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Welp, as much as Blizzard has been shitting the bed, I'm still probably gonna double-dip on this.

Cross-Save and Cross-Play are becoming more and more important to me as of late. The more games that start making this a priority, the more likely I am to buy them.

Shubh_C63

If that trailer is on a concrete build than kudos, because they got rid of that irritating illuminating white border previous quarter updates had.

In terms on mxtx, I'm 100% sure it will be only cosmetics like Destiny. I am even enjoying DImmortal, log in an hour everyday and there's just so much stuff to do at Lvl60.

Top Bottom